October 31, 2014 | 1526 users online

Sunscreen - Bare Escentuals - SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2009 10:43:00 AM More reviews by laurelll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is ALMOST the product that I've always wanted BE to make - a sheer powder with an SPF. I don't need a lot of coverage, but want the sun protection that the BE foundation provides. This product is about 90% there. It's a decent powder with light coverage, but a little shiny (like you would expect from a sunscreen), so I still need the mineral veil, which is fine.

The delivery system leaves a lot to be desired, but it's managable. The silver lining is that it travels exponentially better than the foundation and mineral veil - it doesn't spill in my bag - which is fabulous!

**UPDATE** I used this every day for 6 weeks... and then it ran out! BE products normally last for ages, so this was surprising to me. I asked the SA at the store and she said that 6-8 weeks was typical. Maybe I'm cheap, but $30 for something that barely lasts 2 months is a little much. I likely won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2009 1:36:00 AM More reviews by Donnysgirl

This product is a great idea, but has poor packaging / delivery system. I absolutely love the idea of a powder sunscreen so as soon as I saw this product I purchased it. Like the other reviewer said, it's hard to tell if and/or how much of the product you are actually getting on your face. I wish BE would just package this the same way as their bare mineral foundations. I'm not normally picky about this kind of thing, but it just really doesn't work for this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 8:47:00 PM More reviews by foryoursmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this sunscreen, no having to worry your face will become greasy partway through the day and it serves as a nice powder setting over face makeup as well. <3 The brush tool is pretty nifty as well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 11:56:00 AM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

On a sunny day I spotted that my face is radiating not a HEALTHY glow but rather an oil sleek from my LRP Anthelios spf50+ fluid that I had applied generously in the morning so I had a choice - either go and buy Shiseido blotting papers (they are the best!) or add several and get some more sunprotection with this powder product.

I went for this sunscreen but I am not 100% happy with it hence only 4 lippies. It is not a bad product though!

+ sunscreen
+ portable packaging (with brush and it is possible to close it off)
+ can replace blotting papers (if you blot with a tissue instead and then apply it for a matte finish AND sunprotection)

- too dark for me (I will never understand why companies think that everybody wants to be TANNED?! I am quite pale and I like it that way, I am using Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in B20 for reference) and I am using the lightest colour
- expensive (I paid 25 which imho is WAY TOO MUCH for something as necessary as sunscreen! When cosmetic companies are going to understand that and introduce effective, yet affordable products that are pleasure to use?)
- even though the 1st on the ingredients list is mica it gives a very flat matte appearance, which I am not very keen of as it makes me look OLDER! But I am ready to put up with it knowing that I am working against getting older after all, lol! I try to apply it on my tzone and the rest of my face (like undereyes) I am treating to Anthelios stick
- difficult to get out the right amount of product - though I usually see when it starts to get out (one has to open the turn FULLY) as my face is getting DARKER lol!

So there are more minuses than pluses but I am still happy with my purchase. I have even stopped using my pressed powder from YSL during the day (it does not have sunsceen) and I am using this instead. I wish they would bring out much ligher shade than the lightest they have now.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/20/2011 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was so ITCHY. Horribly ITCHY. The idea is fantastic, the packaging is cute, and the powder is practically invisible. But you can definitely feel it sitting on the skin, and it was too irritating on my sensitive skin. Im taking it back to Sephora.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2010 7:25:00 AM More reviews by rabagast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

this is a preliminary review, i've only used this for a week so i can't say how it works in the longer term.

I will not comment on the sun protection, just mention that the active ingredient is TO2, no percentage indicated. Instructions say nothing about what how much product is required to achieve SPF 30.

The package design is not good. Getting any product out is HARD WORK, and the amount is hard to control. The product is basically invisible on skin, so if you use this the way it's intended it's hard to tell if you've actually managed to apply any of it.

Thankfully the powder compartment can easily be opened from the bottom (just unscrew the clear cap), so i just transferred the powder to a more convenient container and apply it as any loose powder with a kabuki brush. The amount of product is rather tiny, 4g. There really should be a refill: 1: without refill the design is excessively wasteful and 2: the brush/container part of the product isn't user friendly at all.

I got the lightest shade and it's invisible on my face (NC 20-ish). It's also very sheer (which makes me doubt the protection). The finish is natural - basically you can't tell it's there.

I've had no bad reactions to this so far (and my skin is very sensitive and prone to breaking out from products - that's why i gioot this in the first place as pretty much every liquid sunscreen breaks me out).

In sum, i'm happy with how this looks and with the lack of bad reactions - I can actually wear this. I can't tell how well it works. But the design is fundamentally flawed, this should just come in a sifter jar. I also find ithe product overpriced, and if i decide to buy it again i don't want to have to pay for the entire container/brush combo, ESPECIALLY as it's useless.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2010 9:14:00 PM More reviews by klaquel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this product because of its convenience but hadn't had a chance to put it to the test until recently. I keep it in my car. I apply to my face over or under makeup and on my hands to prevent excess sun exposure to hands. We need all the help we can get ladies- especially us fair skinned girls! I use it over mineral makeup to blend. I've had it for about a year now and I still have plenty left. Don't tap on skin. Tap on a surface top down with lid on to bring product to top.

The other day I was out in the blazing sun studying. (Yes we had sun in Georgia one day this winter it was nice!) I was outside for a few hours and I applied this sunscreen. I could feel my skin getting really hot being outside in the direct sunlight in the middle of the day. I did not get sunburned. I usually get burned pretty easily.

That was all the proof I needed to know this product does what I need it to do.

My only complaint is the brush could be a bit bigger but thats it! Its perfect!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2009 5:53:00 PM More reviews by LBinNH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For those of you complaining about the delivery system, I know what you mean... however, I figured it out as I was having some problems initially. You must make sure when you turn the bottom part of the applicator that you completely turn it until it "clicks" into place. The application is then consistent. I used this several times where I thought that I had turned it all the way, but barely anything was coming out.
So, once you get that out the way... this stuff is GREAT. I was so pleasantly surprised by this product. I can honestly say that it makes my skin feel softer and more conditioned. It has a therapeutic effect which I totally didn't expect. It doesn't provide the coverage like a mineral makeup, but if it did I would only use this. I have even used it when I knew I wasn't going to be out in the sun because it makes my skin feel so soft.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2009 5:31:00 PM More reviews by s70princess

I had been using PTR's version of powder sunscreen and was just about to run out of it, so I picked this BE one up (in the Light shade) last week to try instead. Similar to some of the other reviewers, I had a problem with the delivery system -- it took a long time before any product came out of the brush the first time and when it finally does, too much comes out as you can see a big cloud of powder each time you swipe your face. I must admit I prefer the soft bristles of this product over the scratchy ones of PTR, and I like how the bottom of the container is clear so you can see how much product is left (unlike PTR). However, I feel the PTR product itself performed better for me since the BE one seems to get darker as the day goes on and also make my combo skin get really oily really fast throughout the day. I definitely won't be repurchasing this one again. Drier skinned gals might have more luck with this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by Poisonous

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Black

only bought this 3 days ago and I'm already in love.
Pros: portable, combats shine, disappears over makeup (I went for 'light', it's pretty much transluscnet unless you have really pale skin), no oily/greasy feeling
Cons: not cheap, probably some wastage as every time I shake some powder out there is a cloud, not to mention have to wash the brushhead from time to time

Can't comment on the actual sunscreen property since summer is yet to come, but I'm over the moon to finally find a sunscreen that doesn't leave my face ghostly white and shiny

EDIT: Taken one lippie off and won't re-purchase. When I reapply the sunscreen through out the day, the tint in it just makes my face darker and darker...Switching to PTR next since it's supposed to be transluscent