October 25, 2014 | 860 users online

Sunscreen - Kabana - Green Screen

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2009 5:42:00 PM More reviews by girlwithcurioushair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

So far this is the only natural sunscreen (and I've tried quite a few) that I can use on my face without breakouts. The ingredients are really rich (lanolin, shea, etc.), but I've been using it for over a week without a problem. The price is also better than most natural sunscreens. Like any zinc-based cream, you have to really rub it in and then let it set for a few minutes to avoid a white cast, but it does sink in. This looks like my victorious HG sunscreen find after a long and agonizing search.
EDIT: While this hasn't been breaking me out per se, my pores are visibly clogged. As much as I care about protecting my skin, it just seems counterproductive to use a sunscreen that fills your pores with gunk. The base of the sunscreen is just too heavy for my face. I guess I'm back to the chemically uninspiring, but thankfully non-comedogenic, Neutrogena. Bummer.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2009 5:34:00 PM More reviews by tuongvy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure if I like this product. This is the most liquidy sunblocks I've ever used. You have to shake it before using. The thing that I don't like about it is even though it is tinted, the tint does not match my olive/ yellow skin. the tint is a pinkish/ beige color which turns out too chalky on my skin. I put it on and 30 minutes later it still doesn't absorb so my face looks lighter than my neck. The sunblock feels ok on skin, after 30 minutes my skin feel a little sticky, I have to plot my face if I want to apply makeup. Hence, it is not very convenient. I dont think there is any physical sunblock that will not whiten my face . I will have to stick to La Roche Posay tinted spf 50+ . I'm very sad.... The good thing about this sunblock is it feels good when you first apply it on. Some sunblock feels very very heavy on skin but not this one.
UPDATE: I increase the rating of this one since I think people with lighter skin tone ( ~NC 20 ) may like it . Nice consistency, not heavy, great price

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by kiskadeett

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree with the reviewers so far. This is a fantastic sunscreen and by far superior to anything I've ever tried including the Keys Soap Solar RX. I tried Keys and hated it so much. It went on clear but that's about it. It turned me so greasy I refuse to put it on my face again! But Kabana Green Screen Organic SPF 20 sunscreen did no such thing. It has 25% non-nanoparticle zinc oxide which keeps you super protected from UVA and UVB rays. That's the highest amount of zinc in any sunscreen on the market that I know of. Plus it's all organic so I know that I'm putting something good and healthy on my skin. I have the untinted formula so it does go on whiteish but it's not that bad.

The first time I used it, I put so much on my face that I turned grey so the key to applying this is to dot some on your forehead, nose, cheeks and chin, and blend gently making sure your entire face it covered. Oh yeah, make sure to shake it before you use it so everything blends together. The effect leaves me a bit fairer so I would only recommend this version to those of you with fair to light skin tones. Anyway, my face does not feel sticky or greasy and I believe that the zinc provides excellent oil control for my face. After 5 mins, I apply my Everyday minerals and I'm ready to head out. It's that easy! I feel like I have nothing on my face and that's definitely a good sign. It does not have a weird smell like the Keys Soap sunscreen.

I did not try the tinted formula because it would stain clothing but since the regular one is working for me, I'll stick with it. For those with medium to dark skin tones, you could try the Kabana Green Screen SPF 15 instead. It has 20% zinc and their website says that it goes on clear. Please note that although they label it as an SPF 15, it has more zinc in it that other brands who only have 6% zinc and label it SPF 30. Just some food for thought. I'm itching to try it but I'm concerned that the moisturizers in the SPF 15 would make my oily skin greasy. But I'll post a review if I ever try it. Good luck ladies!

UPDATE: I have since switched to Mexitan SPF 50 sunscreen which applies more smoothly than Kabana and does not leave a chalky white caste. I'll say that Mexitan is def. the better sunscreen.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2009 2:17:00 PM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a review on the 1 oz. SPF 22 Tinted version that I've been wearing for a few days.

I don't think there are any other sunblocks boasting a high 25% zinc oxide concentration. I've had trouble with sunblocks (with high PPD levels or high concentrations of physical sunblocks) turning white on my face and the tinted one does turn my face slightly white. Even though I am a very tan Asian, even my much paler Asian sister's face turns much lighter when she uses this. And it's not because I'm just smothering a huge amount on - I use what my dermatologist has recommended me to use, about 1 tsp of sunblock on my face.

It is one of the most liquidy sunblocks I've ever used, but that's not a negative point or anything. Provided that I pat this onto my face well, there isn't a clear sign that I'm wearing sunblock (so little to no white cast). It is just a little sticky on my oily face and I've yet to find a good mattifying powder, but until I find a better sunblock with higher concentration of zinc oxide, I think I will stick to this sunblock. And of course, SUNBLOCKS (not sunscreens) all the way!!

EDIT (5/28/09): I do NOT recommend this on anyone who is acne prone. I've stopped using this for the past few weeks because I was breaking out in unusual spots (ie cheeks). Since I first broke out 4 years ago I NEVER had a single acne on my cheeks. It was with Kabana that I developed all sorts of whiteheads on my forehead and I now have embarrassing acne scars on my cheeks that I can't do anything about. I recommend Soleo instead of this if anyone is looking for a good physical sunblock.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Aseretmarie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For the past five years or so I've really tried not to use chemical sunscreens. I've read to much about how the chemicals are bad for your skin and can cause free radical damage (Yikes!).
Now they're questioning the safety of sunscreens containing nanoparticles of zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. It's so hard to figure out what to use.
I've even contemplated not using suncreen at all - well, not really, I'm very blond and would burn within 10 minutes.
I researched some "safe" suncreens and so far this is the best one I've found.
I bought both of them (tinted and untinted), but have only used the tinted one so far. Will review the other after I try it.
I LOVE this suncreen. It's slightly tinted so you don't have to keep rubbing to blend in the white look. I think I'll just use this one on my face and use the other one for my body. It does note that because of the tint it might stain clothes.
It's organic and unscented. I have normal to dry skin and I use a serum first and it's not greasy on me. If you have oily skin you might want to apply it directly to your skin.
You can feel it on you skin, it is not "super sheer", but if its protecting your skin from the sun that makes sense.
I didn't experience any breakouts at all. I even though it felt a little like a makeup primer - my makeup actually went on smoother while using it. You don't get those little balls like with some sunscreens.
I will definitely repurchase and tell my friends about it.

Here are the ingredients:

Green ScreenŽ Organic SPF 22 Sunscreen contains these organic and natural ingredients:

1. 25% Zinc Oxide
6. Organic Shea Butter
7. Vegetable Emulsifying Wax
8. Iron Oxide
9. Vegetable Vitamin E

Please note that iron oxide is a mineral pigment often used in mineral makeup and may stain clothing! This formula also has a mineral scent due the presence of iron oxide.

On their website it lists the retail outlets and on-line retailers. I purchased it directly from them kabanaskincare dot com

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No