October 1, 2014 | 1807 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by GGN

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased Hope in a Jar facial cream and body lotion along with a package of 24 Microdelivery Triple-Acid Brightening peels. The cream "fragrance" is disgusting. The body lotion fragrance is also and, wouldn't you know, this fragrance has "staying-power"! I have no idea how to describe the fragrance except it there is rather repulsive. It's one of the worst cosmetic fragrances I have ever smelled.

More importantly (the smell should have been a warning) but I persevered with the products at night and1x week with the peel, and as a result I went from no bumps or acne at all on my face, to having fluid-filled bumps eventually all over my face. I don't know if it was the peel or the cream but I finally wised-up and stopped using them. It took weeks to get over the reaction I had - ugg. It was awful. I'd never experienced this before.

But, I healed and am back to my tried and true facial products, thankfully! There are much better products out there so if you are in doubt - stay away!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Alura21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really has high hopes for this product. A lot of people liked this and it worked for them but this was just "Meh."

Texture: Creamy, thick-ish (but not like a body butter) texture.

Scent: It's kind of like a off/weird lavender smell. It's not my cup of tea but it wasn't bothersome either. I could see someone with a sensitivity to fragrance not reacting well to this product. The smell goes away after it dries and settles.

Finish: Dewy. A bit on the sticker/oilier side than I prefer.

Effects: No noticeable improvement. At first it seemed to leave my skin balanced (in combination with purity cleanser) but soon after this left my skin feeling greasier than normal.

When I was using this face cream, I had the worse flare up of acne than I have had in years. Now whether this was hormonal or caused by this lotion, couldn't tell ya. But definitely not worth it trying to find out.

I ended up giving away a whole unused jar to a friend who was interested in trying it. (I had two deluxe samples of the cream that I went through)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 6:08:00 AM More reviews by Vandie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! I just bought this and I had no idea other people were put off by the smell like I was! Haha! I do think a lot of the reviews are bit harsh because of the smell, instead of how it performs. I really believe if Philosophy scented the product to smell like a hint of citrus or lavender, the complaining would be cut in half! There are lots of products we use, like sunless tanners, hairspray, etc, that smell funky, and this smell isn't even that bad! It smells a bit salty or synthetic. That said, I don't care! In my humble opinion, this moisturizer is amazing. I just picked this up a few days ago and I know it's a bit early to be reviewing it, but I wanted to because I have been so pleased with this product's performance! It feels weightless, leaves my skin feeling comfortable, feeling really silky, and it gives to me what I consider to be a deep level of moisture without the heavy feel of typical, thick, creams you'd typically see in jars. I have had really red, dry cheeks. More specifically, the thinner skin above my cheeks and near the sides of my nose is always usually red and so rough in texture, that no matter what I tried, my foundation looked pretty terrible afterward. I am talking sensitive skin face wash with lukewarm water (twice a day, then when that felt too much, just once a day), gentle patting dry, Aveeno calming moisturizer, careful exfoliation with a very gently scrub and the least amount of pressure from my fingertips..I even applied Aquaphor, Eucerin, even lip balm to the areas that were scaly and I got nowhere. Before applying makeup, I'd moisturize and apply a primer to my face, taking special care to gently coat my cheeks evenly. All the care I took with my skin and my cheeks were just really scaly and my foundation would catch in all the cracks in my skin. This little jar has been great! I've really felt less irritation, and the texture of my cheeks has dramatically improved. I really am liking this. I am using it in conjunction with the Purity Made Simple face cleanser from Philosophy as well, but I know that Hope In A Jar is doing its part and then some.

TLDR: I think it works amazingly well. The smell is a bit off, but if something works, I'm going to use it as long as it's not full of poison or cat poop. If you want a gentle but effective moisturizer, give this a shot. Also, just dab on a fruity lip balm afterward and then that fruity smell will be stuck under your nose instead! :D

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 10:11:00 PM More reviews by Melodically

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just fyi I have acne-prone, sensitive, combination skin. First off, it smells terrible. My nose is sensitive to scents and putting something that smells like it was rancid was a big turn-off for me. Secondly, as soon as I put it on I could feel my skin practically screaming get it off. It was causing my face to break out. Clearly I am allergic to something in the ingredients.
I'm glad I only had a sample.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Mbeaulieu603

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

First off, this cream does not smell that bad. It does have a smell but I do not find it unpleasant or do I find it remains on your skin after you apply it. I even asked my boyfriend if he taught it smelt bad and he said "No, it just smells like cream." Anyways, this product is amazing! It's so light weight on your skin you feel like your not wearing anything. It also does wonders with my redness and dry skin, after a few uses I could see a difference. I use this with the Clinique 3 step system (the face wash and clarifying lotion) and my skin has never been more smooth and clear. My mom also has a lot a redness and uses this cream, it's also helped her clear her face. Would recommend it for anyone that is looking for a good moisturizer.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Ramones66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a sample of this to try, thank god, because it smells like Barbie doll legs fresh out of the box. That's a great smell when you're 5, but not when it's on your face. Barf. Pass.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Henry24

Really love this product! Tried it as a sample and fell in love. I use it with the purity cleanser at night and the microdelivery exfoliating face wash in a morning and it does wonders for my skin. It feels really soft and my skin tone has definitely improved. Also, I don't get spots on my chin and around my nose like I used to. Ran out of HIAJ and had to buy a different moisturiser as local store didn't have any in stock but I went back to HIAJ as soon as I could!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/22/2014 3:35:00 PM More reviews by Maneejih

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

If I could give this zero stars, I would. I'm glad that it isn't just me that doensn't like this moisturizer as it doesn't have a good rating on here eithier. But I always hear about how good it's supposed to be. First off the smell is absolutely disgusting, it makes me literally gag. And this is not a perfumey smell, this smells like rotten food. I don't understand how anyone can stand the smell no matter how good it performs. But to top it off, I hate the moisturzer itself, I felt like I was wearing a mask when I wore this moisturizer cause it just sits on your face. Don't waste your money on this, glad I had just a sample and didn't actually go to buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by adelyn305

I have combination skin, this stuff does WONDERS to my face, I use it with Philosophy Purity 3-in-1 cleanser and i'm still thrilled over how SOFT it makes my skin feels! Using it alone did not do that much to my face i must say, not until i pair it with the cleanser. I love how the souffle-like texture sets on my face immediately after applying it. I absolutely dislike greasy/oily feeling that other moisturizers tend to give me, but this one is an exception!

I would apply this at night after I cleanse my face with Clarisonic and leave it on overnight. Waking up to the softest skin is the best feeling ever! I've been using for a week plus now, day and night. It's crazy how many times I tried to resist touching my face just to feel the soft and smooth complexion these products give me! I'm officially tied to this product, completely sold!! <3

Side Note: I was quite taken aback by the smell at first, it was like a like-it-or-hate-it kind of scent, but after a few days I've gotten accustomed to it and it doesn't bother me at all already. After all, fragrance is not something that I would want to apply on my face, I have found my way to love it!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'll admit I was a little weary about purchasing HIAJ after reading all the terrible reviews, especially about the smell. So when I got this in philosophy's Radiant & Refined kit I braced myself when I popped open HIAJ and took a whiff.
Huh. Not too bad. I will admit it's not the most pleasant of smells but I can handle it just fine. So, now that I took the sniff test it was time to test this stuff out. What I love about it the most is how a little bit really goes a long long way. I can just grab a tiny dollop and it spreads across my whole face with ease. The texture is dreamy...very creamy and silk-like. I love it. As for results, my face has NEVER been this smooth and clear. My existing blemish clusters are gone (within a week's time!) and my whole face looks smoother, more radiant, more glowing. The formula says it has gentle exfoliants in it to daily even out skin texture and tone and I really think that's what it does! I have very combo skin: I'm oily where I also get flaky. My skin has a mind of its own sometimes! But I think HIAJ balances out all of that. I haven't been very oily, if at all, and my dryness has subsided. I will admit I think for gals who tend to be more dry may not like this forumla all that well but for combo/normal/normal-dry girls this is the stuff of dreams.