April 18, 2014 | 1435 users online

Hair - Unrefined Shea Butter

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 5:16:00 AM More reviews by nnn3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It did not work well on my skin-it did not sink in it just stayed on top.Afterwards I used it on my hair and my lashes and it worked well there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 2:27:00 PM More reviews by nikkimorrissey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just discovered shea butter and I love it. I mix it with white sugar and use it as a lip and body scrub and it's awesome. It really seals in moisture and leaves your skin feeling very moisturized after a shower. I have also used it as undereye cream for overnight use . It does take some time to soak in so I'm not sure if it could be used during the day other than for hands.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by missykeyana

I like shea butter a lot! I use it to control my eczema on my neck, underarms, and arms. In the winter time I rub some on my legs, then apply lotion to ward off winter itch. It helps my husband control his scalp dermatitis. However, despite my having natural (4a, bra-strap stretched) hair, I don't find shea butter to be particularly beneficial for it. I can only use the tiniest bit to seal in whatever moisturizer I am using that day, otherwise my hair will become weighed down, greasy, and coated.
This is not a perfect product for me because it doesn't get rid of my nor my husband's skin issues, but it is a valuable product in our household. I recommend this product to anyone who suffers from a dry body (skin OR hair), eczema, or dermatitis.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2012 7:33:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Best find this month. It's keeping me moisturized this winter when nothing else was. 5 stars.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by permonon

I have been dealing with acne/ dry skin/rosacea since 12-I get cystic on chin black head all over and comedones all over
I have been using shea 1 month with FABULOUS results
I purchased at Whole Foods and the brand is Alaffia
I rotate this nightly with retin A and Im happy this combats the flakies and gives my skin a glow-/girlfriends have commented on the smoothness and tone of my skin
You actually feel it nourishing your skin
I felt compelled to share this with women who understand the struggle for beautifil skin
Highly highly recommended
PS i dare you to name one skin care line I didnt try lol

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2011 10:37:00 AM More reviews by ava902

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have used this on my hair and for my skin, so I have two seperate reviews:

1. Hair
My hair is long (MBL), texlaxed (relaxed, but not bone straight) and extremely thick. I used this in its plain form and whipped and it leaves my hair very greasy as opposed to soft like others have experienced. It's almost like it sits on top of the hair rather than absorb. Because of this, it can cause major buildup in my hair. For hair, I give it 2 lippies.

2. Skin
Excellent skin moisturizer, especially for those suffering from eczema. It absorbs and gives the skin a healthy, moisturized glow. I am not crazy about the smell, but for the results that it gives, I am willing to tolerate it. I use it on my skin and on my lips and it is especially helpful during the dry winter months. For skin, I give it 5 lippies.

The price is amazing and since you don't need a ton to do the job, it is cost efficient. I highly recommend as a skin care aid, but I do not for hair care. I believe that it works better for natural hair.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2011 9:05:00 AM More reviews by lilmi

I'm using 100% organic raw shea butter. I purchased it from a fairtrade site and it was reasonably priced.

It's a great moisturiser after the shower, instantly melts into skin and softens. I can't count on it's effectiveness in terms of stretchmarks etc as I've only been using it for about two weeks and can't really comment further other than its a good moisturiser.

I wouldn't use it on my face. It's pretty greasy and the few times I tried it on my face it made my skin too shiny and break out. I wouldn't use it on my hair either! It would probably leave an awful residue 'feeling' making it feel quite greasy too.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by mrsforte

I have been using raw shea butter for almost 2 years now and I love it! I have an 8 year old with severe eczema. He is very sensitive to lotions and creams (we've tried EVERYTHING) so I decided to try something simple and natural, shea butter. The scent does not bother me because it fades. Occasionally I whip the shea butter with olive oil, aloe vera, tea tree oil, and almond oil with a handmixer and it works wonders for my son! Word of advice: if you are using it for eczema pair it with a raw shea butter soap for best results. I use Shea Moistures raw shea butter bar soap and it's amazing!

I also use raw shea butter for myself mixed with baby oil and/or equal amount of cocoa butter (not raw, palmers) and I love the results. As many said it also makes a great nightime moisturizer/eye cream. I don't use it on my face during the day because I get oil (which is why I gave it a 4) but at night, it's nothing but perfection!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 3:25:00 PM More reviews by ef604

Shea butter is amazing! Great all purpose moisturizer. But what I use it for the most, believe it or not, is eye cream! My eye area is really sensitive and even the most expensive eye creams irritate it and make it look worse. Not shea butter! I know I can count on it to keep my eye area supple, moisturized and wrinkle free! The trick is to warm it up in your hand before applying otherwise you are just dragging it across your skin. And not only is it completely natural, but also cheap and cheerful!! Yay, thumbs up!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

I love this stuff. I got a 16 oz jar of Shea Butter last year while visiting Atlanta, and I still have half of it left. I use it when I get out of the shower on the bottom of my feet to keep them soft and callus free. If my hair is dull/dry, I use a dime sized amount on the ends of my hair. Only a small amount is needed to achieve the amount of moisture that my skin and hair needs. I don't use this as a lotion, since I have sensitive skin and sometimes, this makes my skin itch. Others use this product to define their natural curly hair texture. If you have natural hair, this is a must have.