November 26, 2014 | 1796 users online

Hair - Unrefined Shea Butter

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by PrettyOne21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product works great for removing skin peels/burns (it worked for me overnight, which was so surprising and amazing). It works pretty good when it comes to lightening scars (but doesn't fade them). I don't remember how it works for hair (i think it was passable on my hair). I never tried it for cooking, so i don't know how it tastes with food. It's works ok for removing pimples, (i'm not sure about blackheads), but it's horrible for removing rashes because it just made my face break out in more rashes! For the price, the amount your getting is a pretty good deal. Plus this stuff is hard as dry clay, so you can either put in a really warm room (helps it melt a little), microwave it (but might kill some of the good ingredients in it), or put the container in a pot and fill it with warm/hot water. I sometimes just use it dry like it is (although it requires hard digging with your fingers lol). The smell doesn't bother me, i actually like smells like that (ex: sharpies, whiteouts, gasoline etc..). It's hard for me to find a rating for it because it works great in some areas, and horrible in others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a big fan of making my own products and unrefined shea butter is a key ingredient in so many of my products. During the colder winter months, I use it in replacement of cocoa butter in my homemade moisturizer. And I use it year round in my body moisturizers. My personal recipe is equal parts cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, sesame oil (avocado in the fall/winter). I melt them in a double boiler until completely liquefied, then let them cool (the mix hardens). Then I whip it up with my hand mixer and it turns into the fluffiest, creamiest body lotion ever. If it's hot out, I'll mix half of the oil mix with aloe vera gel to make a cream-gel that soaks in a bit better. I'll add some witch hazel and lavender essential oil to make a hand cream, and some liquefied aspirin, and tea tree and peppermint essential oil to make a foot cream. I will also melt equal parts shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil and cocoa butter, and let it harden. It's perfect for a post facial balm or for chapped skin. I really love getting a bit box of it from amazon since I use it so much. SO CHEAP! I can buy 5 lbs for the same price as a single 16 oz body lotion. Love it. Glad to see other people love it as much as I do.

28 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Chelley112

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I have natural 4a hair. Of course this will be one of the first things newly natural people will try because shea butter is said to be the best sealer to make your hair really soft. My hair HATED this. It made my hair sooooo dry. Like my hair was screaming out BREAKAGE when I had this in lol. I always had to wash it out. I have tried it raw, unrefined and refined. I even made shea butter mixes. Nothing. I have even noticed that other products with shea butter in it doesn't work for me. It just shows how some things work for some naturals, and not for others :-)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2012 6:56:00 AM More reviews by irajojo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got mine yesterday. Tried it last night. Applied a thin layer on my face entirely. I know its too early to post a review on this. But i Had to. Coz this morning, i woke up with not one, but two cystic acne. One above my lip, and the other on the side of my nose. It was huge, and red, and not to mention painful. I know the shea butter was the cause of this. So my nose is obv a no no zone for shea butter. However... other parts of my face seems fine. I woke up with a smoother forehead, and my eye area seem to look more.. plumpier? Like i can feel that its slightly tighter, not saggy. So that's a plus point. I do have past acne scars at my jawline. It didn't broke me out there....yet. But its also too early to tell whether it has helped in the scars. My eyelash seems to be softer. So that's a hint there telling me it might work well for my hair. So if not for the nose-sensitivity part, i would have given 5 lippies. Would i buy it? Too early to tell. But i'll just say yes....for now.
*UPDATE*
Okay, So recently i've tried it on my hair as a leave-on hair cream. Yes. It is sticky at first. I thought it would be a major fail due to its consistency. I didn't try it with any oil. Just pure shea butter, melted with my palms, in its sticky form. BUT. It absorbs super fast. And left my hair So soft and bouncy and adds volume. Yeah, it was hard for me to believe too at first. Something so sticky can do such wonders. My Hair was always rough, and frizzy. But with shea butter, it left my hair softer than it had ever been. Up next, Planning to mix argan oil with shea butter!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2012 10:34:00 AM More reviews by saromakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For hair, I melt some shea butter, add coconut oil, and a silicone-free conditioner, use a stick blender to blend, and it's the BEST pomade ever for curly hair.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 5:16:00 AM More reviews by nnn3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It did not work well on my skin-it did not sink in it just stayed on top.Afterwards I used it on my hair and my lashes and it worked well there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 2:27:00 PM More reviews by nikkimorrissey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just discovered shea butter and I love it. I mix it with white sugar and use it as a lip and body scrub and it's awesome. It really seals in moisture and leaves your skin feeling very moisturized after a shower. I have also used it as undereye cream for overnight use . It does take some time to soak in so I'm not sure if it could be used during the day other than for hands.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by missykeyana

I like shea butter a lot! I use it to control my eczema on my neck, underarms, and arms. In the winter time I rub some on my legs, then apply lotion to ward off winter itch. It helps my husband control his scalp dermatitis. However, despite my having natural (4a, bra-strap stretched) hair, I don't find shea butter to be particularly beneficial for it. I can only use the tiniest bit to seal in whatever moisturizer I am using that day, otherwise my hair will become weighed down, greasy, and coated.
This is not a perfect product for me because it doesn't get rid of my nor my husband's skin issues, but it is a valuable product in our household. I recommend this product to anyone who suffers from a dry body (skin OR hair), eczema, or dermatitis.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2012 7:33:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Best find this month. It's keeping me moisturized this winter when nothing else was. 5 stars.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by permonon

I have been dealing with acne/ dry skin/rosacea since 12-I get cystic on chin black head all over and comedones all over
I have been using shea 1 month with FABULOUS results
I purchased at Whole Foods and the brand is Alaffia
I rotate this nightly with retin A and Im happy this combats the flakies and gives my skin a glow-/girlfriends have commented on the smoothness and tone of my skin
You actually feel it nourishing your skin
I felt compelled to share this with women who understand the struggle for beautifil skin
Highly highly recommended
PS i dare you to name one skin care line I didnt try lol

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No