Bath and Body Works whole store

3.5

on 1/15/2013 3:02:00 AM

Oh where do I begin...

Bath and Body works has been in my life since I was around 16 years old back in 2003.

Their scents used to be amazing. I loved Juniper Breeze, Country Apple, Pearberry, Lemongrass Sage, and a whole slew of other scents that have now been replaced by crap, crap, and more crap. Save for Cashmere Glow, Carried Away, Forever Sunshine, Pink Chiffon and Sparking Blackberry Woods which I love. Everything else new has been a major bust for me.

Everytime I go into a store anymore. There's hardly any other shoppers. Not even during the semi annual sale. Also. The price increase is ridiculous. Especially since the new Fine Fragrance Mists last hardly no time on the skin like the old splashes did. As I'm setting here looking at my old splashes. The ones in the 2003-2008 packaging. The bottom price tag says $10.50. Now the sprays...are $14. That's an insane price difference in just 4 years time. Especially since the quality has gone down hill. I will still shop here occasionally. But, only for the mini sprays since they are the old formula, and when they have the Hello Yellow sale.

on 12/13/2012 3:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I guess my overall feeling of B&BW is so-so.
Pros:
*Great for last min gifts
*Somewhat good deals from time to time
*Ability to purchase 'discontinued' scents from the website. I say 'discontinued' because some of their smells are still around, just not carried in stores.

Cons:
*Most of the smells are pretty similar. As a lot of other reviewers have stated, its most likely because of the cheap ingredients they use.
*They discontinue things very quickly, seems like they only keep the crappy smells around.
*Their sales really arent that great. If you're buying a lot, it can work well for you, but usually for me Im only buying one or two things.
*Their sales people are pushy and annoying. I get they have a sales structure and everything, but if I told you twice Im just browsing and no I really dont need to buy 5 things, LEAVE ME ALONE.

In conclusion, its just so so for me. Good for last min gifts you dont really have to put a ton of thought into, or if you are under 21.

on 12/1/2012 2:48:00 AM

I stayed away from BBW for a long time and I don't really know why. Anywho I entered the store with family and found myself buying small bottles of lotion along with them. I'm currently using Paris Amour and I think it is a decent scent. It moisturizes and feels like a lotion, but yet there is something about the store that makes me doubt I want to go back. The items feel cheap to me as in bad quality. I don't think the ingredients will kill me, but I think I deserve better quality as it is going ON my skin. I will use the small bottle of lotion I have since it's convenient having lotion all other the place as I have dry skin, but I think the next time I buy lotion I will choose a better brand.
Also as someone else noted, the scent is a bit strong. I use it more as an emergency perfume when I'm out and start smelling like food or something. Overall it is a decent product. I think it's fine to use, but this is definitely not the best product out there.

on 7/23/2012 10:47:00 PM

Generally speaking BBW does use just about the lowest quality ingredients (with some non-petro-chemical oils sprinkled in their for labeling purposes) - parabens, lanolin, petro chemicals( such as petroleum and mineral oil, sodium lauryl sulfate, synthetic perfumes etc...

They have an interesting marketing strategy of having sales nearly 80% of the time, buy 3 get 2 free is the usual 'sale' and twice a year they have buy 3 get 3 free. Monthly promotions of giving away product with purchase, usually quite genrous.

I stay away from all their lotions because of the low quality base ingrediants and their known ability to cause either allergy or worse. I'm not going to make specific accusations, I'd suggest you research them yoruself.

However, I absolutely can't resist the foaming bacterial handwash!!! The foaming action is soooo convenient, it's already lathered-up when it comes out!! There are some really fabulous scents, the kind that makes you want to cup your hands around your nose after you wash them.

My favorites are the 'Coconut Lime Verbena', 'Fresh Lavender', 'White Citrus' and 'Fresh Market Apple'. I stock up at their best sales event and use coupons. Heck I've got about 17 bottles right now, 3 open and the rest on stock and should last me until the next buy 3 get 3 free.

My rationale is, that since it is a soap, most of the product is washed off.

So the 2 stars is for having the foaming anti-bacterial handsoap.

*I really loved the 'White Citrus' and 'Fresh Market Apple' so I got the the anti-bacterial lotion as well. I put on the apple before I started writing because I love the smell of it... but now my eyes are watery and I've a tiny headache from it. I'll be returning these in exchange for more foaming handsoap :/

on 2/13/2012 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Oh BBW how I used to love you so! Unfortunately, the love has faded. Not the same store, with the fresh, clean scents and welcoming environment. Nowadays, the employees are constantly on you, the scents are way overpowering- they add musk to just about every scent there is now. I don't stop in the store unless there's a semi-annual sale and just hopefully I may find one of their classics. Not anymore. :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

For all of us fragrance enthusiasts, B&BW is a fantabulous company! It's great to have their newest inventions to try! Keeps life interesting! :-) With all the sales they have, their prices are modest. Won't break the bank. And everyone needs several fragrances to choose from! So, a buy 3 get 3 free sale rocks!

on 9/6/2011 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I like BBW, but only for certain products. I also LOVE that they sell many travel-sized items. However, it can get expensive. True, they always have sales but many of them require you to buy in bulk (as of now they have a "Buy 3 get 3 Free" sale and I'm wondering why I need 6 bottles of lotion or mist or... anything, really).

Overall, I still think it's a great store, friendly staff (at least where I live), aesthetically pleasing and great variety.

on 7/2/2011 7:15:00 PM

It's hard to write reveiw on just one scent - so I'll write about the whole store. Bath and Body Works is great - their stores are well lit, clean, cheery, organized, nicely staffed, not obnoxiously scented, blah, blah, blah. But what really matters is the product, right?

The thing I love about Bath and Body Works is that their products smell amazing and LAST. Other body splashes wear off on my pale, dry skin almost instantly, but Bath and Body Works' splashes hold their scent for extended periods of time. They also come in a bazillion well-named scents - their Sunshine-esque line actually smells like SUNSHINE, for example, which defies logic, but they pull it off perfectly.

However, their stuff is EXPENSIVE. $12 for a body splash is, to me, a little on the ridiculous side, even if it has excellent lasting power. That, however, is where their sales and coupons come in. Typically, Bath and Body Works does a Buy 2, Get 1 and Guy 3, Get 2 promotion (in the U.S.), which is excellent. You can also always find coupons for them online, or get them handed to you in the store. They also have great semi-annual sales, like their Hello Yellow themed one, which I just attended. In this case, they had Buy 3, Get 3 going, and also a $10 off $30+ coupon handed to you when you entered, getting me six things, all priced around $10-$12, for just $26.

So basically, Bath and Body Works is a joy to shop in, has a ton of excellent, long-lasting scents, and is pricey but full of sales and promotions. If you like smelling good, you'll love it there.

on 6/30/2011 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Overall a nice store with a lot of variety to choose from. Prices aren't too bad IF you want numerous products or are purchasing something on clearance. I would never buy a single item at retail. I have had many dreadful experiences at "Buy 5, Get 2 Free" type of events (the item count is usually higher in Canada than the US), where I could find 4 things I wanted, or maybe 5, but its often difficult for me because I don't go in wanting a million products. I wish they did buy one get one half off, or something similar.

Also, I'm very upset with their e-mails and I wish I never agreed to join their mailing list. They e-mail on average 2 times a day. I once was away from my e-mail for an extended weekend and returned to almost 20 e-mails from them. I don't know how many people shop for these types of products on a daily basis, but I surely don't. As a result, I'm not too inclined to shop there, as their emails annoy me quite a bit! They should have once in a while coupons, or ones that are valid for certain periods but I don't need to be updated on the daily candle sale. And btw, $20 for a candle is not a sale. And anyways, how can they expect us to shop there so often when their sales require you to buy 50 things at once? If we shopped half as often as they sent e-mails we would have more of their products in our homes than they have in the store.

on 6/30/2011 10:59:00 AM

I primarily shop when they have their semi-annual sales, so I can buy their classic and discontinued scents and get good deals at up to 75% off. I can't wear regular parfum because of allergies but I am ok with B&BW body mists and splashes. My current favorite body scents are Sheer Freesia (which doesn't last very long), Coconut Lime Verbena for the summer and Warm Vanilla Sugar for the winter. Some other body scents that are nice are Pearberry and Lemongrass and Sage.

I have also found that I have purchased a few that I liked initially, then I got sick of very quickly like the True Blue Spa Shea Cashmere Fragrance Mist and Body Lotion, smells too much like buttercream frosting. I also really liked the Cotton Blossom a lot at first, but now I find it too strong smelling.

I also enjoy the wallflowers in vanilla bean noel and warm vanilla sugar for the winter. For candles I enjoy the Eucalyptus Spearmint aromatherapy and I also like the Sparkling Mojito room spray but find it doesn't last very long.

From what I understand they have a great return policy, so if you don't like it, they will take it back, no questions asked.

Popular Other Products