July 28, 2014 | 1199 users online

Hair Treatments - Avanti- Silicon Mix

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 2:31:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Though there has been much raving about Dominican products amongst those with curly and kinky hair (both relaxed, natural, and somewhere in between), I really can't say that I was impressed by Avanti's Silicon Mix.
I purchased this product hastily and definitely against my better judgement. At the time, I was attempting to follow the Curly Girl Method to see if perhaps it would work on my s-shaped, dense, long 3b hair. Adding this deep conditioner to the mix really set me back and had me caught right back up in the stripping cycle of silicones and shampoo. BUT, in my desperation to try a Dominican product, I caved.
This seems to hydrate best when I've simply left it on while showering versus sitting under the dryer with it on. Either way, the results really aren't anything notable. My hair seems to react the same way to other more available drugstore conditioners like Aussie Moist or Garnier's Triple Nutrition. While the silicones in this do provide much needed slip for detangling, I don't find that this really helps my hair stay hydrated. If anything, this really bothers my scalp. I've been having to wash my hair more than usual because I'm tearing my scalp up by scratching at it.
If you are someone who is bothered by scents in products or you especially detest strong, powdery, floral, "mature" type fragrances, this DEFINITELY isn't for you. Silicon Mix has a very potent scent that hangs around long after it's been washed out. It's so bad that even if this product did work for me, I wouldn't repurchase it because of the smell.
Over all, Silicon Mix was a total miss for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by MorganAiden

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I hated this. I am not very sensitive to odors and fragrances. But this conditioner smells so strong I had to follow it with another conditioner just to mask that strong perfumey smell. It also wasn't super effective for me, I wasn't too impressed. Although, even if it did work wonders for my hair that odor is too much for me. Never again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2012 2:20:00 AM More reviews by candyrain33

I've been using this conditioner for about 3 years and I LOVE it. Dominican products are great for Afro textured hair whethe relaxed or natural. This conditioner is amazing I only buy the 60 oz. jars. And I buy 2 at a time. It last me MONTHS. And I have long hair. My hair is relaxed but still curly. And this is great for my hair because it detangles and moisturizes! I will use this until the day that I die!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2011 4:22:00 PM More reviews by novn32

When i was younger i had "natural hair" and this was the conditioner i used. I relaxed my hair about 3 years ago and it's still my conditioner of choice. No other conditioner gives me the amount of "slip" this give me. And my hair is in great condition because of it. All i do is shampoo and use this conditioner, leave on for about 5-10 mins and rinse ( completely otherwise it will leave residue behind like many other conditioners do) and my hair is super soft.
This is a dominican product and i am a big fan of dominican products ( although i might be biased since i am dominican) I think they work on alot of different hair times being that the dominican population is so diverse. I really enjoy this conditioner...and you cant beat the price. Way better than alot of the more expensive brands I have used, Redken, Loreal, Paul mitchell, Kerastase ( sp?) ,Ojon, Terax,etc

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by EternityintheRain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like most people here, I've found this by way of Dominican hairstylists or their beauty supplies. I have transitioning 3c/4a/relaxed hair and I don't like this. At all. It gives me no "slip", doesn't really moisturize my hair, and it leaves it feeling rough and plasticky. Even when my hair was completely relaxed I didn't like it. I like my hair to feel soft and moisturized, and this left it far from that. This is wonderful stuff for people with curly hair though, curly as in loose, springy, and tangles easily. A cousin of mine, a gorgeous Greek girl, has corkscrew curls that tangle like nothing else. I was doing her hair one day and this left her hair gorgeous, shiny and bouncy. Her curls were well defined and in some parts wavy. She loved this and forced me to give her the tub my mom got for me. I gladly gave it away.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2011 1:45:00 AM More reviews by WalkingOnADream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

This is not a conditioner. It's pure mineral oil for detangling the hair. It does nothing for the hair but soften it. My stylist told me this type of conditioner is not for long term use.

Make sure to buy a clarifying shampoo if you decide to purchase this. This conditioner will leave silicones sitting on your hair. Blocking all the good stuff from penetrating.

I found this for $3 in a beauty supply store tried it. It soften my hair but over a month period I notice my hair became hard. When I went to the salon my stylist said I had silicone build up. Which blocked moisture from penetrating my hair. The funny thing is I never even mentioned the Silicone Mix to her until after, she mention the buildup. In the trash it went!!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2010 4:12:00 PM More reviews by JCPrincess318

I have visited a Domenican salon and they used this product on me and I must say I was happy when it was used. Then I wound up finding it online, buying it and wound up HATING IT! We had a snowstorm, and well being that I was stuck in the house for the longest time...I conditioned my hair and dryed and styled....then fell alseep. I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible migrane due to the smell of this all over my pillow. Forget it...what a waste of money and silcones!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by NancyGooGoo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is AMAZING on my relaxed hair! The woman who does my hair isn't Dominican but Haitian, and she LOVES this stuff in my hair! After leaving it in my hair for about 15 minutes, when she rinses it out, my hair is like silk! The comb-though just glides down through my hair and the scent is pretty nice, too! LOVE this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2009 9:20:00 AM More reviews by sammy1019

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome product! I have been using this product for years and it has completely changed my hair. I have very thick, curly and tends to be frizzy hair. Before using this, my hair was dry and unmanageable. Now it has been completely mended, it's shiny, soft, the texture has completely changed. I was recently told my one of the ladies in the beauty supply store I purchase this from, that a good idea is to use this with another hair treatment (avocado, coconut, papaya, etc.) and leav it in for an hour or so and the results are even better! Sometimes I use this as a treatment ususally just as a normal conditioner. Love it! totally recommend it and will continue to repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2009 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Sirenas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is actually a decent conditiones, however it is called Silicone, so yeah its full of cones, but its pretty good if you need a cheap conditioner to do the job. I actually grab this one instead of my lovely Terax Crema after I come from the beach or any other activities that makes my hair full of knots. For reference, I have a lot of hair and extremely long, and I take care of it a lot and only try and find the best products since now its a little unhealthy looking cause of some highlights I got. This conditioner is pretty good for the money, and your hair will slip, slip, slip in the shower as you comb it through, and it will coat your hair and leave it extremely shiny and soft. I always find myself reaching for this when I have too many knots, it does miracles for that but I do not like the result of finding my bathtub full of loss hair at the end :/