Dabur Vatika Hair Oil

4.2

Coconut Oil, Neem, Brahmi, Extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar, Kapur Kachri, Henna, Milk, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil, TBHQ, Fragrance

on 12/17/2013 3:02:00 AM

I always adored Indian and Arabian women hair, so I decided to try some of indian/arabian hair treatments, to see if there will be the same effect on my dark blond European hair.
First I was amazed with thickness of Vatika hair oil. For me "Oil" is always liquid and if it is hard then it is "butter" :-). In this case I was wrong and hair oil became liquid after I put it in warm water.
I like the smell: for me it is a lemon cake.
I pour 1-2 table spoons in a small saucer, dip fingertips into oil and massage into scalp and my short hair are any way covered during that time. I put on a plastic wrap, sometimes towel to keep it warm and leave for 2-3 hours, depending how much time I have. Then shampoo it and no additional conditioner.
First time I saw hair in the sink, but as time goes by "hairfall" became less. I use this hair oil every second day a week. I think it will be very effective to use it during sauna or Turkish hammam rituals.
I like the oil and decided to try Dabur Vatika shampoo to see if it will multiply my hair :-)

on 12/13/2013 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Why did I not research this before trying it? It is TERRIBLE. Plain coconut oil with castor oil and almond oil works better. Or the heavenly monoi oil with sandalwood I alternate with. even moroccan argan oil.

This has 'parfum' (vague, could contain any amount of allergens) and BHT? Really?? No wonder it makes me itch, any bit that touches skin (such as the nape of the neck or AHEM the scalp) becomes extremely irritated, I can feel rash itching everywhere. This is just ONE use. i don't care to revisit this nightmarish experience, when my plain, DIY hair oil will suffice and probably works loads better! Ugh. Gosh my scalp feels like it is BURNING. Oh God some of it touched the tops of my ears and they are burning! I feel a welt forming on my back where a bit of this dripped from my hair. never again.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I've been using this on my relaxed hair for about 3 years and it is wonderful.... it almost changes the roots of my hair to be smoother even while I'm stretching relaxers.... I highly recommend this product.:-)

on 12/10/2013 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I like this, my friend introduced me to it and bought me a bottle at an Indian grocery store. It's super cheap, like $2-5 Cdn depending on the size, maybe cheaper/more expensive depending on where you live. It's coconut-oil based, so has that thick, solid at room temperature, slightly gritty feel but I just rub it between my palms and it melts right away. I use a 1-2 drops (less than 1/2 tsp) for the length of my hair (past bra strap, nearing bum length, about 25' long) for pre-wash oiling so if your hair is shorter you will only need a tiny amount as with most oils, that way it won't be greasy. For "deep conditioning" or when I have more time, I use about 2-3 tablespoons and massage throughout length of hair and apply this either overnight or for at least a few hours before shampooing and conditioning and it makes my hair smooth and silky. I don't like the smell too much (although I never liked the smell of Amla or neem oils, not just from this brand) but it's fine because I wash it out and then you can't smell it anymore. After putting the oil in my hair I wrap it up in a high bun and cover with a scarf so the oil doesn't transfer. I like the bottle because it's easy to travel with and because the product is solid, there's no mess if it falls or something. Easy to squeeze out the amount I need.

I would repurchase, nice mix of good oils for hair. Keeps my hair healthy, easy to comb and shiny plus it's cheap and a smaller bottle lasted me almost a year.

on 11/9/2013 4:41:00 PM

For those that are concerned that this oil is a solid in cooler temperatures, that is because this is in a natural coconut oil base. Coconut oil is a solid until it reaches about 75 F and thus all you need to do is submerge it in hot water for about a minute and it will become a liquid. When I am preparing my hot oil treatment, I just plug up my sink and run hot water over the bottle, let it float in the hot water for about a minute, then it is ready to go. I do not work straight out of the bottle. I pour it in a small dish so that I don't get the bottle oily. I have had GREAT results with this oil. I have used it both overnight and for as short as one hour. The last 2 times I have mixed it 50:50 with castor oil. Then I massage it into my scalp in sections and lastly apply it to the length, then comb through with a plastic comb. I then put my hair up and clean up my sink (LOL). You may notice a little hair fall but this is just the natural amount you have normally, but you will see it when you oil/comb it out. I have plastic hair caps that I got from Amazon and I will wear one while my hair sits with the oil. I will wash twice, very thoroughly to get the oil out (once was not enough for me). I can skip conditioner after using this wonderful treatment. I also took a little oil while it was liquified and put it in a small container (an old eye cream jar) and then refrigerated it so it got hard again and now I keep this around for doing a very light oiling on dry hair - I use about the equivalent of 3 drops and warm it up in my hands and then lightly run my hands through my hair and then comb through. My hair looks incredible. I haven't noticed any color change, but I have dark hair and already use henna, so that could be why. If you're worried about color change then you can use plain coconut oil or a blend of coconut oil and your other favorite oils. I highly recommend checking this stuff out! Ayurvedic products have done amazing things for my hair. **Just a warning, most of the other Dabur brand oils contain mineral oil, so if you want to avoid that, just be sure and read the packaging. This one does not contain any mineral oil or silicones which is one reason I love it so much.

on 9/1/2013 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I have mixed feelings about this oil. Firstly it is difficult to use - you have to place in a bowl of hot water to melt into an oil consistency otherwise it is very difficult to get anything out. Second it made me itch - I mainly focused this oil on my roofs however it still made my scalp itch. Not sure if I am allergic to something in it but there was no rash. Just the itching that happened prior to application. I do feel that this oil made my hair look healthier after application and washing. However I was not prepared for the colour change it caused. I have dark brown (nearly black) hair so it was very subtle. In the light my hair started to look golden. It wasnt a bad change but it still was a change of colour so I would be wary of this oil if I had lighter hair. Contains henna, which explains the colour change. I don't think this oil made a significant enough improvement to my hair to warrant a repurchase.

on 5/22/2013 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This made my scalp break out in a bright red rash, and the rash lasted for about a week. Needless to say, I will not use this product again. However, it did leave my hair soft and shiny. I will just use plain coconut oil now for my deep conditioning needs. Also, be aware that since this contains coconut oil, it will solidify in cooler weather which will make it difficult to get the product out of the bottle.

on 5/6/2013 3:11:00 AM

Thanks to everyone who recommende this product. My hair was so dry, frizzy and flyaway before I read the product reviews. I live in a hot, humid climate where many beauty products are unavailable and my naturally curly hair has been in terrible condition. Vatika is a common brand here but I didn't try it because so many of the cheap, lesser known brands available really aren't very good.

The result has been truly amazing! My hair is soft, shiny, not frizzy and I can even shake my hair and it falls back into place. It also works extremely well as a nail and skin oil. And, as many have commented, the price is a bargain.

One note: I tried Vatika Almond, Coconut, Sesame Oil first since that was the one I could find easily. I later tried the Coconut Oil in the opaque bottle. It seemed to make my hair oily and didn't penetrate the hair shaft. So different hair types may respond to different formulations...Also, for some reason, the coconut seems to congeal in the bottle and is almost impossible to use without warming the bottle (but this may not be a problem with the clear liquid oil version.)

on 4/17/2013 5:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love it makes my curly hair is so soft. ı have extremely dry hair and I have noticed that my hair is growing faster. the smell is strong but not unbearable! I would buy it again!

on 3/8/2013 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I felt compelled to write a review for this hair oil. I have very curly 3a hair - lots of it, but fine and it is very long at the moment. In an absolute moment of madness, after not bleaching my hair for over 6 years, I decided to bleach the ends white blonde so that I could get a very unnatural purple added. This absolutely fried my hair, (my hair is naturally black) and as a result DAMAGED MY BEAUTIFUL CURLS! They had fallen out, so the top of my hair was beautiful, and the ends looked like stringy straight dying bleached worms. I cried, a lot, for about a month. And then my mother reminded me of the absolute miracle that is Vatika Hair Oil. Now, I'm Indian, so using Vatika was something I have been grown up to use - at the very least once a week. But obviously, it has it's downsides. As a child I was never completely able to wash the product out of my hair, it used to 'over-proteinise' my hair when I was younger as well, leaving it crunchy and matted. It smelled strange. Also my mum (bless her, she did try) had no clue about how to look after my hair, as her hair is as straight as a poker. So... when I was younger, she used to apply the oil into my hair without brushing it, which meant when it was time to wash it out, I ended up looking like Ronald McDonald who had got electrocuted by a hairdryer. Anyway, For all of those reasons, I stopped using it. So I was reluctant to give it another go, but I had given up with Kerastase and other 'Western' hair products because they just weren't doing enough for my hair. So I bought a bottle of Vatika, brushed my hair, and put the oil on. My hair literally drank the stuff - I used a quarter of the bottle in one sitting. I put a towel over my pillow and left it in over night, double shampooed and used my fail-safe mane n tail deep moisturising conditioner the next day, along with my redken fresh curls curl refiner and my redken ringlet 07 curl perfector, diffused, and voila! My hair is back to what it used to be. Perfect, soft, curly, floppy mess a-la Nicole Kidman. I guess I needed a serious dose of protein to replace what the bleach had taken out. Seriously, if you have curly hair that has been bleached, PLEASE try this. It's as cheap as chips, it can be bought on Amazon, and honestly, it really really really works if you have damaged hair that has lost it's curl. I plan to use it as a pre-poo every time now - as long as I continue to bleach my hair.