Faerie Organic Mineral Makeup

3.9

Mica, Boron Nitride, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides

on 7/3/2013 3:32:00 PM

I have acne prone skin with dark discolorations (from acne scarring) and this foundation covers the majority of my scars without looking cakey or mask-like. It's difficult to find a foundation that really covers most of my scars other than dermablend or something like that..but unfortunately those tend to make me look like I'm wearing a lotttttt of makeup and come off easily/maybe last 4 hours or so.

Howevaa Faerie Organic looks natural and last ALL day! It's highly pigmented which is a plus for me since my scars are an issue..I have to do a couple layers (for darker or problem spots I use the foundation on a concealer brush). But it still looks natural when I have a lot on. Whether you don't need much or need a lot like me...it creates a flawless evenly toned look either way. FO is a concealer and foundation in one, I only use CeraVe daytime moisturize beforehand and after that sinks in I apply FO (no primer, its not necessary). It's also light-weight on your skin, feels like your wearing nothing!

I haven't had any problems with it causing breakouts or irritation and I've used it for 6 months. I like it much better than Bare Minerals <- it made me way too oily and stayed on for maybe 2 hours before sliding off. FO is somewhat water-proof and holds up pretty well in the heat. I'm fair-skinned, so I wear the fair color foundation, it doesn't match exactly but its close. I've heard you can mix the foundation colors to find your perfect match, so I'll be trying that out this summer since I get a slight tan.

Overall this is my favorite foundation and I've had no problems with it. 100% recommend!

on 6/7/2013 5:13:00 PM

Like many others I wanted to switch over to all-natural beauty products (or products that use better alternatives, at least) and that included replacing my bareMinerals foundation and bronzer. After some research, I found Faerie Organics and was immediately impressed by their website, range of products, and thorough descriptions. I didn't have any reaction to my other organic/vegan beauty products, so I bought a full-sized container of mineral foundation (Golden Honey) and a container of blush, confident that the shades were a perfect match and that I wouldn't any problems. I can honestly say that I was excited for this product.

Package arrived yesterday and I ripped it open, eager to try them out. I don't know how long Faerie Organics has been in business, but I was pleased with the packaging - simple (something I'd expect from most indie companies), but professional in presentation nonetheless. But what I was really aiming for was the quality of the products, themselves. Despite the foundation's unusual curry-powder color, the consistency was similar to that of bareMinerals, went on smooth and fine, and covered certain areas of my face well with the vaguest yellowish tint on others. As for the blush, I was pleased by the healthy glow it provided, flattering my blah skin-tone a pinch of rosiness. After testing the products, I washed my face; that's when I noticed the tiny blisters on my cheeks, but I dismissed the notion that my skin didn't agree with the products. Happy with the results, I used them that very evening.

Everything went downhill the following day (today).

I woke up, but didn't get into my morning routine until after breakfast; throughout that time, I noticed a prickling sensation dancing about on my t-zone, forehead, and neck. That sensation went from prickling to burning real quick. I rushed to the bathroom, washed my face and neck, and immediately slapped on my day cream. Upon inspection, I noticed faint blotches on the areas (of my face and neck) that experienced the unpleasant burning, now it appears as though I've gotten a sunburn and heat rash. That was between 9AM and 10AM; it's 2:03PM now, and it's still tender.

I had high hopes for this product; so knowing that other MakeupAlley Reviewers have experienced the same (burning) sensation only adds to my growing disappointment. Despite the glowing reviews on MakeupAlley, I strongly hope that the company considers tweaking their formula in light of this. Until then, I will not be making any future purchases with Faerie Organic, sadly, and would not recommend this product to anyone.

The only suggestion that I would make is--if your are still curious about their mineral makeup--purchase their sample packs first and do a patch test.

on 6/6/2013 4:11:00 PM

I don't typically write reviews, but I absolutely LOVE this makeup so it called for a review. I was doing some modeling and having bad breakouts from all the different makeups being used at shoots. I also couldn't find an everyday makeup that didn't break me out. Tried other popular mineral brands nothing worked. This SAVED my skin!!!!! No more breakouts, beautiful dewy finish ( I use airbrush version), and so natural looking. I have been using Faerie Organic for over 5 years. I will never use anything else.

Also the customer service is unparalleled! Anytime I have a question they always get back to me quickly, and are very personal. Cannot say enough good things about Faerie Organic

on 5/16/2013 5:45:00 PM

I am pretty sure the previous reviewer works for meow cosmetics love all the info on ratios and formulations very interesting coming from the average consumer. I actually find her review ridiculous considering I personally have very difficult acne prone skin and have always had issues trying to find a product that covers yet looks natural until I found Faerie. I actually appreciate the fact that they offer sampler kits and yes the sample containers are not top quality (hello they are samples), it is nice to be able to test the products for $5 prior to getting stuck with a full size you may or may not use. Personally I love the coverage with FO foundations, the finish looks natural and my skin has a pretty healthy glow to it (not sparkly which can be an issue with MMU). I use the sun goddess faux tan bronzer which is not matte at all but more of a semi matte which looks NATURAL which is the point IMO. I purchase natural cosmetics because I like to look like myself only a bit better and these products deliver. I highly recommend!

on 5/6/2013 5:57:00 PM

I wish I had read my review when I was desperately looking for bismuth oxichloride free mineral make-up. If you're looking for a less toxic BE replacement that actually works, Fairy Organics isn't it, so try Meow Cosmetics instead.

Firstly, I have been using BE for 8 years. There I am a medium beige. I know how to apply it. I have shu uemura brushes. Had no problems with it on my skin until recently when my skin freaked out after wearing some crazy good but heavy Korean BB cream for 2 months. Long story short, I switched to organic everything. And not Whole Foods "organic", but crazy-dirty-hippie organic.

First I looked for Mica and Titinium Dioxide free as well. Plus, I'm an eco plastic/waste-free crazy now, so I got Rejuva, which is wonderful in it's own way, but it's basically flower infused with organic essential oils and iron oxide for color. This does not do its job.

Then, I've tried a lot of other brands, no good either.

But, since when you search "organic mineral make up" the third (and most affordable option) is fairyorganics.com well, I gave it a try.

INGREDIENTS: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides.

I ordered the Med/Med Tan sample kit, although now I know I should have gotten Light to Medium. Why? Because the difference in shade from medium beige to tan is like day and night. I don't know anyone, "ethnic" like myself or otherwise, that could possibly have skin in that shade range.

Packaging: Worst idea anyone ever had. Basically whenever you open (carefully) one of 8 tiny containers, you get mineral makeup everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

And what matters: coverage/ quality/etc. Caky, chalky, etc. I use a kolinsky brush to spot apply and hide my imperfections, then I apply 1 or 2 layers of BE on my face. Perfect coverage (unless you're tired looking/ have redness, etc, in which case you shouldn't be using mineral make up and expecting full coverage). With fairy minerals the sensitive/dry patches of my face (cheekbones, under eye) looked caky and my forehead, nose and chin where still glistening in a bad way. Both with the airbrush finish and the full coverage.
Moral of the story: their mica/titanium oxide/iron oxide ratio is off. (think maybelline level of off). This does not compete with BE quality at all. And just to add, I ordered the blush, finishing powder and warmth as well. Same as the foundation, the ratio was off so all of them looked like loose powder instead of mineral make up. To top it off, the color of the blush was a cheap reddish shade. The "warmth" could not be used as such (low content of mica, high content of pigment means it does NOT go on sheer- imagine a matte crappy bronzer). And the finishing powder looked like my grandma's chinese no brand talcum powder.

All in all, think drugstore level cosmetics, with a nice "organic" ring to it.

And what I wish I had read on other reviews: if you want cheapo, no toxics added mineral make up that does it's job at least as well as BE, you should look into Meow Cosmetics. Now- they have SO MANY SHADES, it gives you a headache (which I found bad and disturbing and distracting). But, their mica/iron oxide/titanium dioxide ratio is great. And since they have 3 formulations that actually differ in composition (sheer, medium and heavy coverage) I think this would work for you ladies complaining that one brand is either to sheer or too caky. They have their problems too (like packaging, etc) but this is the best BE replacement I've found. PS: I know their website isn't too fancy, but trust me, their mix delivers.

on 4/6/2013 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

When I first joined MUA, I was accused of representing this product. No! I loved the pictures on their website and have been a dedicated user of this stuff for about eight years! I do put it over Clinique Stay True Ivory foundation -- my derm rec. Since that foundation left me still looking unfinished, I put the mmu foundation (in airbrush), veil, and bronzer over the Clinique liquid foundation. My skin is extremely sensitive, and this stuff works for me. I would trust anything this company makes... have not tried their other products yet. PS I used the "other" minerals for about 4 years, but found it aged me and contained an irritant for me. Switched... found this brand by accident. Happy camper and it's my HG!
UPDATE 5/25/2013: It has been about six years since I quite BE and started using FO. Have tried a few samples of other brands. Still, I'm sticking with FO. I use at least four products: LaRoche-posay nutric; then Anthelios 60 SPF cream; Clinique oil-free liquid, and, because I need a powder-type finish... faerie organics air-brush base in porcelain and veil. Then, FO bronzer. Am still a happy camper... this from a person who can hardly use a thing on my face!
Yes, I am still "lookin' good" at the end of the day! The product feels "airy" on... not suffocating (as others do); there is no smell (I get migraines from the "smellies!" The finish makes me look better... glowing, fresh and this system I use protects my skin and makes me look good... hides flaws. I apply the FO with a shorter, stiffer (medium type buki) not a huge fluffy brush... using Wayne Goss' technique for disguising pores... I kinda "jab" at my skin after applying the minerals. My pores are GONE this way!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, let me start off by saying that I've tried many different types of mineral foundations, including bare minerals, everyday minerals, sheer cover, alima pure, elegant minerals, signature minerals and so many others that I forget the rest, but my favorite mineral foundation would definitely have to be from faerie organic. I had been very loyal to bare minerals for 3 years and hadn't put anything on my face other than that. I didn't have really bad acne, but I still woke up with a few noticeable bumps on my face everyday while using bare minerals, and my face was always itchy but I dealt with it, because I thought I was allergic to the brushes, which I was. After buying synthetic brushes, I noticed that the itching didn't stop. I switched to Faerie Organic after doing a lot of research, and didn't have such high expectations, but I'm glad I did. I no longer wake up with a bunch of zits on my face and there is no itching once I apply it. I was a medium beige in bare minerals and I'm a medium beige in Faerie Organic, which is great, and the makeup stays on a lot longer than Bare Minerals had. It just looks great when applied, not too powdery like sheer cover and elegant minerals did. Those were the worst in my opinion. They had great coverage, but my pores showed wayyy to much. After experimenting with all these mineral foundations, I came to the conclusion that Faerie Organic mineral makeup just looked and felt better on my skin, and it didn't irritate it in any way. I have extremely sensitive skin and I'm allergic to just about everything, but it's good to know that there's a foundation that won't damage my face. You can purchase samples at a reasonable price as well, just in case you're still a little reluctant to try them. But seriously, you won't regret it.

on 3/14/2013 3:16:00 PM

I don't write a lot of reviews, but I'm taking the time to write this one because I'm very disappointed with Faerie Organic's customer service. I do, however, LOVE the product. It has wonderful coverage in both the airbrush and max coverage. The product doesn't settle into fine lines, and just gives a great, dewy finish. The problems arose when I realized that the powder in one of the samples that I *purchased* (they are not offered for free) was much lighter than the actual product I received. I believe the wrong powder was in the sample container. I emailed them repeatedly (4 times in total), and never received a single reply. I'm not able to phone during business hours due to my job, so I rely on email when I have a problem. Originally I was just going to keep the darker foundation and order a lighter one, but then I realized that they sell a white product that can be added to colors to lighten them. I asked if they would throw it in. Although I really like this product, and it's the best powder foundation I've ever used (I've tried at least 6 brands that I can think of), I won't be ordering from them again because of their lack of attention to detail and concern for customers. Since I can't give them a 0, I'll give them the lowest possible score.

on 2/24/2013 5:31:00 PM

This is better than bare minerals. I was looking for a good mineral makeup that didn't have the harsh ingredients on bare minerals and this was a great alternative. Has good coverage but you definetly need to put on a good moisturizer before any mineral/ powder makeup especially this one. If you don't it will crease into every line and you will like a cracked skin person. So this is the best mineral make up I have tried.

on 2/15/2013 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Ive used this for @ 4 years now.It the best mineral makeup out there for me,I have older dry skin and this covers great and does not stick in or on any dry patches.Or in my fine and not so fine lines,lol.I wear this everyday except acasionally I use Revlon color stay to change things up,but really I get the most positive feed back on my skin when I wear this..Love it.a large container last me close to a year too.