September 21, 2014 | 1843 users online

Treatments (Face) - 3M - Nexcare Acne Patch

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 7:21:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

I don't use these very much but they do work for me! Particularly, I use them on pimples that I feel are going to grow into massive ones, or existing spots that have the white centre. Used overnight, these draw out the oil and pus and you can actually see it on the sticker. I've found that these really stop pimples from growing out of control, or to 'pop' existing ones without actually popping them and causing a spread of bacteria.

I also have no problems with the adhesive power of these. They stay on all nigh through sleep but are removed painlessly the next morning. I recommend applying these on a freshly cleansed face that's lightly moisturised so the oils on your face don't stop the stickers from slipping.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 4:32:00 AM More reviews by cocoacloud

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

There seems to be a lot of negative reviews on these acne patches, about how they don't work, leave scars and residue behind - but because I've had such success with them, I'd like to take some time to explain the science behind them.

Nexcare acne patches work because they are essentially hydrocolloid dressings. Hydrocolloid dressings are usually adhesive gels that promote wound healing by absorbing pus and decreasing swelling. They are used a lot for actual skin wounds, ulcers and even eczema. Now because this form of dressing does not soften or break down the tissue of your skin, don't expect it to break through the head of your pimple that has not yet been brought to the surface! It would only work if the pimple is brought to a head and the head has been popped. This way, it can actually pull out the pus and leave the area flat. Also, give it time to work. Stick them on before you sleep and leave it on overnight. Make sure to stick it on DRY skin free of any toner/moisturizer because if you don't, then it will simply be absorbing your moisturizer and not your acne.

I must have repurchased packs of these at least 15 times. I've had a lot of success with them - it is a godsend. When my pores are big and clogged, I use these sometimes to suck out excess oil and it works like a dream. I find that it decreases the amount of acne scars I have because I'm no longer poking or picking at my skin, these babies do all the work for me. Some reviewers have said that it leaves a white circular spot behind - I do acknowledge that it does sometimes, when you've had them stuck on for a long period of time, but it fades within 3 minutes max. Any longer then I think you may have encountered a fake product.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2014 8:59:00 PM More reviews by jlin0913

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this through ebay for around 10 dollars. It came with 36 stickers (big and small). I've been breaking out a lot with painful cystic acne over the break (most likely due to diet and lack of sleep) so I was happy to receive this in the mail right before my break out. The small stickers come off while I am sleeping, the bigger stickers stay on my skin much better. I've used these when my pimples begin to surface and the sticker did absolutely nothing - doesn't shrink my pimple, nor decrease the inflammation. I've also trialed while the white head has surfaced - same thing, it did not help at all. Overall, it did not help at all hence I will not repurchase. I can also see how one would use an entire pack over the week considering it only comes with 36.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by PoetCrazy

it does nothing.. feel nothing .

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2013 3:47:00 AM More reviews by Ihavequestions

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have such mixed feelings about these. First, do not put these on a zit that doesn't have a head or hasn't already been popped. Seriously. If you just have a bump on your face with no head on it, putting these on will no help in my experience. But the thing is, if your zit DOES have a head or has been popped, these will draw out the pus if you wear them overnight. I mean, I had such a bad cyst - one of the worst I've ever had - but I had been able to pop it and a lot came out. But it was brand new pus, the really runny kind that I knew there would be more of in the zit, do you know what I mean? I wore one of these overnight, and by the next morning, the patch had practically lifted off of my face it had so much gunk in it. Which, of course, is very satisfying. And I was THRILLED that my zit was so much flatter.

Here's my REAL problem with them, though. RESIDUE! For me, for some reason (even though I've read the reviews for this and haven't seen this mentioned much if at all), these leave a HUGE amount of residue. Like a big, patch shaped layer of gunk that is somehow makeup repellant. It's like a Makeup Forcefield. Which, hey, not a huge deal on some parts of your face. But on a big, nasty, bruised, zit, or really ANY kind of zit that you're going to be applying one of these patches to, aren't you going to need some makeup to cover that sucker up? And I can't get it off for anything! Not alcohol, not oil, not manual exfoliation! It stays on for like 2-3 days! Yesterday I was shame faced to walk around with a round circular not totally uncovered but weirdly different patch (perfectly round!) of skin on my face that was all bruised and horrible looking. So, while I'll probably keep using these, I love them AND I hate them. Just be advised. Maybe it's just my skin that causes these to form a Makeup Forcefield, but be advised it could happen to you.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2013 12:21:00 AM More reviews by darknights

You see I like these a lot a lot. If you have a cyst you can put one of these patches on at night and the patch will draw it to the surface. That being said it may take a night and half a day for that to happen. For me these patches work but very slowly, even leaving it on for the entire day was not enough. Another thing, these create horrible acne scars. I mean awful. I have some pretty bad acne scars from picking but mainly because I just have really bad hyperpigmentation. Seriously after you take these off you are left with brown scars. Typically I have light reddish scars but whatever acne I put these on it always leaves a brown scar. Eh, I'm torn but whatever I prefer to spot treat with a clay mask instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

These are way better than I expected! My skin is normally pretty good but I do get the occasional stubborn pimple. For reference I have an extremely oily nose and chin, and very dry everywhere else. My pimples tend to be on or around my nose and always on my chin.

I used three of these patches on three different pimples - one was a large whitehead, one was a popped whitehead and one was a very inflamed and sore blackhead that I had been trying to extract but had no success (I wasn't actually sure if the patch would work on blackheads but I thought that I would give it a try).

I applied these to clean skin and left them on overnight. I had no issues with them coming unstuck at all, and they were still in place the next morning. So the next morning I peeled off each patch to see what was absorbed into it, and how my skin looked after wearing this all night.

The whitehead was smaller and flatter, but the patch didn't absorb anything (probably because I didn't pop it first). The patch over the whitehead that I did pop had absorbed a little of the gunk and the pimple itself was flatter and smaller, and easily covered with makeup. The patch over the blackhead though was the most interesting. It had almost completely changed color and absorbed so much gunk that I was astounded. I wasn't even sure whether it would absorb anything since there was only swelling and redness around the blackhead and no whitehead. Now it didn't remove the actual blackhead but it reduced the inflammation and redness by 95%. It is looking a lot drier now so I guess that it will be easier to extract.

So I went from having three sore red pimples to overnight having no redness, soreness with no raised bumps. I think that qualifies this product as a HG! I will definitely repurchase this when I run out, and would unhesitatingly recommend this to others.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/10/2013 9:12:00 AM More reviews by NicoleTMY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This did not stick well to my skin and seemed to have no effect on the pimple.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by CamiWillians

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was SO EXCITED to try this and it was such an epic fail for me!! It didn't do anything but irritate my skin/make it almost blister. It literally made my blemishes worse. I kept at it for a month then threw in the towel.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2013 4:42:00 AM More reviews by tigerlily217

I was extremely excited to try these out once I received it. I found them to be a bit finicky considering how it would work on some pimples and not others. All of which became ripe and were ready to burst. I loved seeing how it drew out the gunk from pimples and while it did work for some pimples, I ended up having an adverse allergic reaction to it.

My skin isn't sensitive at all and I rarely ever get any reaction to whatever I use. Despite some products being strong. However, over a period of time of using these on my face, it left my skin really messed up. The areas in which it came in contact with the patches are rough, dry, flaky, red, inflamed, scaly, and down right ugly. This is the only product that's new in my skincare and I know it's the patches considering how there's these prominent circle imprints around my face from the patches. I haven't used these for close to two weeks and still no improvement, in fact, it's getting worse. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I can only pray for the best. I feel so self conscious and makeup can't even cover up the mess.

I am happy that these worked for majority of the people on here but I do want to warn others so that they don't end up being in the same situation as I am. Although I am probably just one unlucky person out of the bunch. :(