November 24, 2014 | 1762 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Sesame Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by uyai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I used sesame oil every week on my hair, leaving it on for 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning as normal. I have naturally black hair that can look flat if it isn't nourished properly, but by using sesame oil I get soft, silky, lustrous hair and minimal breakage/split ends. It penetrates really easily and that's why my hair feels so much stronger now. It also works really well as a dry scalp treatment - I just massage it into my scalp and it gets rid of flakiness. I've also heard it acts as a UV filter on the hair, preventing colour fade and damage from the rays.

It works wonderfully on the skin aswell; either as a massage oil, moisturizer or healing oil. My skin feels really supple and hydrated after using, plus the smell is mouth-watering (atleast to me it is anyway). A lot of people use Aloe Vera on sun burn but I prefer to use sesame oil as it really helps to calm burns. If I run out of my regular moisturizer (aloe vera and tea tree gel) then I use sesame oil as it doesn't break me out and leaves my skin nice and glowy.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2011 9:17:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I use sesame oil as a pre-cleanser/cleansing oil and it works great! Better than olive or coconut oil. I just massage it into my face and wipe off with some cotton pads, then wash my face with my normal cleanser. It takes off all my surface makeup and leaves my skin so soft and smooth. Doesn't break me out or dry out my skin like most cleansing oils end up doing. I also use it occasionally as a hair masque and it makes my hair all silky and shiny

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 11:06:00 AM More reviews by nophie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I dont use sesame oil for my skin care, but for my hair.
Once a week I use sesame oil mix with sum olive oil as a "hot oil hair treatment" and I love it!
Somehow sesame oil works better than all the others oils I have tried (for my hair). It just absorb and "moisturize" better.
I just saturated it on my hair and leave it for an hour or so and thn washed it clean. And my hair always looks fabulous afterward. Soft, shinny and it gives a great fullness and body to the hair also. And I think it also maintain my hair and scalp "health". I have long hair and havent had it cut for over a year now and no split ends. Also great for ppl that have itchy scalps. My scalp always get itchy in the winter time, due to the hot shower I always take, and heater inside. The sesame oil really helps to calm my scalp.
The smell is a bit strong, but after u wash it, you cant really smell it on your hair anymore. The price is also very cheap. I just use regular sesame oil that I have for cooking.
I strongly recommend you try it, its a staple in my hair care =)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by ScoutJ

I love Sesame Oil and use it in cooking all the time, but going on so many great reviews I thought I'd try it on my skin. Had a bottle in my kitchen already, so thought there wasn't much to use.

Yuk. Goes without saying that it was oily, but not in a moisturising way: just in an oily way. Left it on for a few minutes, and couldn't bear it any longer: washed it off. Skin was still oily and starting to sting a little, so had to wash again with face wash.

Plus, it stinks. As I said: love the smell of it IN FOOD, but on my face? Gross. My entire bathroom stinks of it now.

Wouldn't say it's a disappointment as it didn't cost anything, but I won't be trying it again. I don't like oil on my face very much at all, but this is my least favourite so far.

Going to stick to putting it in my stir-fries. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

Sesame Oil is a staple in my collection. I can buy a huge bottle for only 1.20 and it lasts ages (although I don't keep the bottle for too long as sesame oil turns rancid after a while). I use sesame oil as a face moisturiser....I have really sensitive skin that is prone to breakouts and sesame oil is one of the only things that doesn't irritate or break out my skin. I apply on slightly damp skin and rub it in in small circular motions. It's not greasy at all and absorbs in under 5 mins. My skin looks plump after application and feels very soft and hydrated. It's a cliche but my skin really 'glows' after applying. No more dry patches or flakiness. I have normal-combo skin and sesame oil doesn't make me oily at all. A defiante staple in my collection and I will continue to use this for years to come. Why spend on moisturiser when you can use this which is natural, dirt cheap and actually does a great job?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2010 5:49:00 AM More reviews by des80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

If you walked into my bathroom you would see a big bottle of ACV,baking soda,sugar and next to my toothpaste extra virgin cold pressed sesame oil. I know I sound like a hippie but when it works it works. Don't get me wrong I love my products. I buy the fads just like everyone else but I always use sesame oil in my beauty routine.
I, like the other reviewer, oil pull (google it). I can't give up my coffee and pop and sesame oil makes my teeth whiter with just one use. I would say it's comparable if not faster than Crest white strips. Also it's great for gum health, leaves my gums pinker and tighter.
After I get out of my shower I use my normal eye and face creams and then my secret weapon. I put my flat palm over the bottle opening of the oil and turn it upside down. Then I rub my hands together and "press it" into my skin. I feel like the oil seals my night cream on and it absorbs within a few minutes. This method is a God send if you have dry skin. I then take my hands and run them through my hair concentrating on the ends. Works great. My hair and face never feel greasy and I have never had a breakout from sesame oil.
Sesame oil also works awesome as a body scrub. I keep a small plastic bowl in my bathroom and add sugar and a little bit of the oil. I put the bowl next to my shower and before I get out ,I bring in my little bowl, scrub, rinse, pat dry. That's it. My bottle cost less than 10 bucks and it last a very long time.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2010 11:19:00 PM More reviews by kerroppi

Great multi-use product. I use it for oil pulling, which detoxes my body. I also use it instead of body lotion for my body and it isn't as oily and dries much quicker than olive oil which is good since I hate how oil can make your clothes stain. The best use for this is as a facial moisturizer. My skin immediately had less acne and was much smoother too! I sometimes heat up the oil (be care, not too hot...just warm) and put more than usual on my face and massage it...then let it stand for fifteen minutes and wipe off with a towel. Great way for the oil to pull out all the gunk in my face and also nice facial massage....never got acne bumps from this and I have very sensitive skin that reacts to everything, even jojoba oil! Def. try this...just bought the plain brand at whole foods.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2010 10:38:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far I have been using this oil for a week. I needed something to moisturize my face, and having acne it is quite hard to find a moisturizer that agrees with my skin. I do try to avoid chemicals and harsh moisturizers because those wreak havoc on my skin.

Anyways, I desperately needed something for my face and with money being tight, I decided to look into my pantry and found some sesame oil. I used some on my face before going to bed. I liked that in the morning, my face wasn't oily but nice and supple. I have continued to use this almost every night and I have to say that my skin is getting clearer! Yay!

A lot of acne friendly oils really break me out, like jojoba oil, coconut oil but this oil hasn't and I am really glad. It has only been a week but hopefully the results will be long lasting. If not, then I will use it as a body moisturizer. Oh and the kind I have is Toasted Sesame seed oil from Trader Joes for like $3. Not sure if toasted makes a difference but it works great for me.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Adriana265

Sesame oil is great for skin! I've tried coconut oil, olive oil, honey etc...but sesame is definately the best. I'm not too fond of the nutty smell but it's definately tolerable. The best thing about sesame oil is that it contains vitamin E, vitamin B complex and vitamin A which helps nourish the skin. It also contains phosphorus, copper, calcium, zinc and magnesium and potent antioxidants that can be beneficial for reversing skin aging.

I usually apply after cleansing my face while it's still slightly damp. Massage a teeney weeny bit in and then spray my La Roche Posay thermal water ontop. Voila! Smooth, glowy, hydrated plump skin. I've also noticed a reduction of breakouts since using sesame oil - it's actually known to be good for that because of its oil pulling properties.To apply on the body I usually apply on damp skin aswell after I've come out the shower. It absorbs fairly quickly and doesn't leave me feeling overly sticky.

Another great thing is that sesame oil has natural sun block and sunscreen properties, so can help prevent tanning and other damages caused by the UV rays. I definately recommend incorporating it into your daily skincare regime.

Sometimes I use this as a hair treatment - I have a pretty dry scalp and this nourishes it perfectly, getting rid of those nasty flakes etc...just massage it in then rinse out after 30 mins or so. I have very dark hair (either dark dark brown or black depending on how I choose to dye it!) and sesame oil is great at helping me keep the colour with minimal fading. That's because sesame oil is known for its hair darkening qualities.

I will definately carry on using this and recommend others to give it a go - it's much better than olive or coconut oil which seem to be really hyped up on MUA

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2010 3:59:00 AM More reviews by greenclover

This is one of the best oils I've used, and I've dabbled with a lot of them. It is much lighter and sinks into skin much more quickly than a heavier oil like olive oil but is much more moisturizing than a super light oil like grapeseed oil or jojoba (jojoba was a total dissapointment, didn't moisturize well, neither did coconut oil). It leaves the skin soft and moizturized without being greasy. Great all purpose hair and body/ face oil. It's also nice because it is almost scentless so you can scent it with your own fragrance/ essential oil easily. So far I don't notice any breakouts I can attribute to it. This is a great find, a great oil that is cheap and easy to find, who knew?