November 28, 2014 | 1310 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Volupte - Red Taboo #18

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2009 12:39:00 AM More reviews by pennywhistlepoem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Red Taboo is a gorgeous silky radiant colour that goes great with cool undertones. It has the most beautiful packaging and the texture is very rich and creamy. It also smells great.

It isn't very lasting but when it fades it leaves a lovely tint on the lips that looks as gorgeous. A unique shade of red that I haven't seen in any other brand and a very strong shade too. I have dark brown hair and fair skin and when I wear it, it completely changes the way i look. It is very sexy. I am absolutely in love with it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2009 5:00:00 PM More reviews by boogiedisease

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The packaging for this product is immensely gorgeous. However, the love stops there.

This is-- BY FAR-- the WORST lipstick I've ever used.
Cheapo, generic drugstore purchases (like, when I was 13) have yielded better results.

The biggest problem was the bleeding. I always apply a generous amount of lip liner (fully filled in), as well as MAC Ruby Woo as a base... I feel I get better lasting power. I applied it and looked in the mirror, four hours later and was horrified at what had crept up onto my face! Seriously, the bleeding was awful. I've never had that happen to that extent. I think I've only had it happen once before, and with some crappy, runny lip gloss.

I've used the YSL Rouge Pur lipsticks in the past, and Rouge Volupte isn't too far off from those. Both need constant reapplying. I don't do those "LASTS A BAZILLION HOURS" lipsticks... I hate those. But, I do like lipsticks that last a long time. Whilst sitting and doing nothing. Eating and drinking-- forget it. These lipsticks will wear off immediately.

This appeared to be a true red (so I thought), but this went pink on me. No bueno.

I like the smell of Rouge Pur better, as well. Not keen on the happy, fruity smell of Rouge Volupte. It makes me want to punch innocent people.

I didn't find this to be terribly pigmented. I have an arsenal of assorted reds-- from MAC to Dior, Chanel to Revlon... Besame, Tarte, etc. and all of these out perform this lipstick, esp. in the pigmentation dept.

I'm really miffed that this is a non-returnable purchase (overseas duty free shop). Thankfully it was cheaper than usual... arrrgh. Not sure what to do with this purchase (I don't swap). I've never been this disappointed with a purchase in my many years of wearing/purchasing makeup!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 5:40:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie90

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh Red Taboo, how you are the creamiest, richest, most pigmented red lipstick I've ever owned. The color is simply amazing!! A pure, blood red with blue undertones which is absolutely stunning. It is a color that looks so great on pale skin and dark hair, just such wonderful contrast!!! It is not one of those red lipsticks that scream skanky. It just looks so beautiful!! I almost feel bad using it every day since the packaging is so decadent, I feel like I should reserve it for special occasions. But the color is just too gorgeous!! I have been on an HG red lipstick quest for sooooo long now, and I think I've finally found it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 8:47:00 PM More reviews by judysmath

This is the most gorgeous lipstick I have ever used. It's way more expensive than what I'm used to paying, but I had some Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket and decided to get it. Truth be told, I think it was the glamorous packaging and the slim slant tipped lipstick that made me throw caution to the wind. I'm so happy I did! Not only is this lipstick lightweight and drenched with shiny, creamy pigment, it also stays on for a very long time. Even after the initial creaminess has dried down or worn off a bit, my lips are still stained with the color. This particular color is a real red with a hint of blue or fuscia in it that makes it very dramatic, yet very wearable and flattering for many skin tones. When I purchased this lipstick, I also bought a matching lip pencil. I will definitely break the bank to buy this lipstick again!!!!! I wish there was a larger range of colors, though.
Application tip: for the most impact and staying power, I use a reverse (clear) liner on my outer lips, followed by lip liner that matches the lipstick. I apply the lipstick, blot it gently and then reapply the lipstick. Va Va Va Voom!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2008 5:30:00 AM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This lipstick is absolutely Grand. Smooth, Silky and bold. The packaging is just as beautiful as the product itself. I am so happy with this, I have already chosen other colors that I must have such as Legendary Moca and Devine Mohogany.

Another plus point is that this lipstick is not highly perfumed which is normal for French beauty brands.

I will definitely keep buying this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2008 1:40:00 PM More reviews by LaDamesansmerci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Very nice colour, beautiful blood red, silky consistence and cute packaging. Took away one lippie because of the bad lasting.power - due to the silky consistence? But leaves a nice stain after dry-down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2008 4:18:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am madly in love with Yves Saint Laurent these days. I just can't get over their lipsticks. I really can't (see my reviews on Opium Red and Purple Velvet in the Rouge Pur formula). I had been relying on Dior and Armani for years until I discovered these drop dead red lipsticks that are to die for. I removed 14 lipsticks that I had on my wish list after trying Opium Red and Purple Velvet and now I've removed 4 more after trying this ultra luxurious, drop dead gorgeous red (I'm done....soooo done). I'm not searching for any more reds. I can't imagine anything more beautiful then what I have found recently in Yves Saint Laurent's legendary reds collection.

This incredibly rich, radiant red comes in the most gorgeous lipstick casing I have ever seen in my life (and I have many high end lipsticks). Unbelievably gorgeous and the color is beyond beautiful. This is a rich, vibrant, blood red with just a hint of the most magnificent raspberries and cherries you can imagine. I have never seen anyone do this. They managed to make a true blood red with just a hint of luscious berry that doesn't come off as pink or muted, but as something quite unique and lovely. Bold and beautiful cherries and raspberries were thrown into the velvety mix to make this red positively stunning. The formula is just unreal and goes on like pure silk (in fact it feels more like a silky, extra moisturizing lip balm then a full coverage lipstick). There are so many reds out there that look a like, but this one is definitely unique and has fast become one of my most favorite screen siren, glamorous reds of all time (next to Opium Red of course)! Positively stunning! Worth every penny and then some!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No