July 28, 2014 | 984 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 1 of 5 on 3/3/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by nickyy

No one with good or ok skin should buy this cream!
Unless ur skin is so bad that u have nothing to lose dont buy this, do not do chemical peels or laser either!
Dont fix something that is not broken.
This is chemical cream what unnaturally peel off your skin and force new skin to grow! This is insane if you think of it. u damage your skin and of course skin is forced to reproduce or renew.Also i made real long research and there is really no person who got rid of the wrinkles by using this cream!So if you using it as anti aging you are doing stupid mistake! If you look at real people's reviews and videos there is no result!
This could be helpful to people with bad acne that nothing else helped and they skin is so bad they have nothing to lose and side effects and damage they ll have from this is nothing to compare of what they dealing with anyway only in this case i would recommended it. Dont be stupid believe you ll look younger! To peel your skin off you can use apple cedar vinegar for every night for month and u ll have same effect but at least it is natural. ( do not go close to you eyes and mouth)
Stop using chemicals on ur skin! they was made for chronic acne and even this im not sure if is helpful with out taking oral medication. Do ur research how much damage this retinoids can do and if it is really worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by cutupangels78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I buy my Retin-A (I rotate between 0.5% and 1.0%) from InHousePharmacy. My insurance doesn't cover Retin-A and it's an outrageous price at the pharmacy (several hundred dollars per bottle). I pay something like $35 from InHousePharmacy. Always been very happy ordering from them. My little tube of of Retin-A lasts me several months.

Anyways, Retin-A is no joke. It's potent. Please be knowledgeable and prepared before you begin using this product or you'll regret it. I used SkinCeuticals 0.5% (and then 1.0% Maximum Strength) for 2 years before moving into Retin-A. SkinCeuticals Retinol is like a less potent version of Retin A. Skinceuticals 1.0% is comparable 0.0.25% Retin-A. My skin is slightly sensitive BTW but can tolerate retinols.

If you're new to Retin-A, please use a low-strength retinol first for a few months to get your skin adjusted. I recommend Skinceuticals Retinol 0.5%. If your skin can handle it, start using the lowest strength Retin-A (I believe it's 0.025%) ONCE A WEEK (no more) and a PEA-SIZE amount on 100% dry skin at night. Don't use any other treatment (night cream, serums, etc) on your skin the night you use Retin-A (other ingredients might irritate you). Evenly apply it over your entire face. Again, no more than a pea-size or you'll regret it. If you have very sensitive skin, use a "buffer" before applying Retin-A (I recommend Cerave or another thick cream moisturizer with as a few ingredients as possible). Again - ONCE A WEEK. See if your skin can handle it. If a month has passed with minimal/no peeling or redness, bump up to twice a week. Some people can't use Retin-A more than once a week. Ever. That might be your limit. Some people can use Retin-A nightly after several months of adjustment. Some people can handle the 1.0% (I cannot). 0.5% is plenty strong for most people.

Peeling and redness is normal when adjusting to Retin-A. But, you need to scale down if this happens. If you peel keep products off your face. Use the gentlest cleanser you can find with the fewest ingredients. Keep your skin hydrated. Use a thick moisturizer (Cerave is good).

Retin-A isn't for everyone. But it's the gold standard in skincare for most. My mother is 50 and doesn't even have LINES on her face. She has been using retinol and Retin-A for 20 years.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Aleemabak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using this product for a while, and let me first say that it's really drying!!

My skin is oily, acne prone and brown.

Retin A has really helped reduce my hyper pigmentation marks caused by my acne scars.
I use a little on my marks (not my whole face) and it lightens it within 2-3 weeks.

However, it is really drying. I used it for 3 months every night, then I started using it every other night. Now I use it every three nights.

Depending on your skin type/ regime, you may need to skip days so it doesn't over dry.

I hope this review helps! It really did wonders for my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2014 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Rose80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My worst nightmare. I used it for 3 months 3 years ago and still my skin has not recovered. I look much older than my age. I used to look younger. My sister who is 10 years older has better skin than I do.
Retin a (avicid) made my skin thin, saggy and top layer wrinkled. It has not recovered since. Nowdays I only use organic coconut oil on my face so it wont get even more irritated.

If someone knows how to a way to heal A-vitamin damage, please let me know. My face really has not recovered, even it has been over 3 years since I used this horrible cream.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2014 7:07:00 PM More reviews by verwaande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this cream about 2 to 3 months and it has ruined my skin. I suddenly got wrinkles around my mouth and on my forhead. My skin also became dry as a dessert. Now I am using all kind of moisturizers to get rid of the side effects caused by the retin a. I kept using it for almost 3 months because I read that you had to go through an ugly stage to get the good results. Well, I can only hope for recovery and I wish someone had warned me about this.
Stay away from Retin A when you have young & delicate skin. This cream could do more harm than good.
If someone knows how to get rid of the wrinkles caused by Retin A, please let me know.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

There's nothing like Retin-a for clearing up acne, this stuff is a godsend. I've been using it since I was nineteen and was suffering from pizza face-level acne, this one product gave me smooth perfect skin in a matter of weeks. No blemishes, no post-acne marks.
I've kept a tube of it around ever since. It's the best spot-treatment in existence, and I also use it all over my face when my complexion starts to really act up (which it still does once in a while even though I'm in my thirties now.)
There really is no substitute. And on top of its acne-fighting powers this is an anti-aging product as well. I hate the fact that it's prescription-only but there are ways around that (thanks, Internet!) The only drawback to this product is the occasional peeling, which is always mild and temporary for me.
This is a staple and an HG. Will always repurchase :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by Kimmiebat

Go slow with retin-A. It takes your skin quite some time to get used to it. Use it twice a day right away and your face will get red and peel. Start slowly, and build from there. For those with acne: you can get a cream with both retin-A and an antibiotic in it-most effective. Be aware there are different strengths of this medicine. It may help with sebaceous glands (cysts). For aging it's very helpful in combating wrinkles-If you are taking this to even skin tone or get rid of dark spots, you have the wrong product. You want to get prescription (4%) hydroquinone. OTC fade creams have a max of 3%- they work, but it takes longer. Good luck everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by maxmommy2

I had originally written a bad review for this two years ago, however I'm changing it to reflect what I've experienced with it since. It won't work for everyone, but it is the only thing to keep my skin consistently clear of cystic acne (I still get the occasional small spot, especially when I skip a few days - but the horrible below-skin-level angry bumps are a thing of the past). It does take at least two months of consistent use before you will see results. Also, your skin will look pretty bad at first - more acne, red skin, peeling. However, there are a few things you can do to make it a much smoother ride:

- DO NOT PICK. Your skin is much more fragile and prone to slow healing/scarring while being treated. Picking will cause a world of hurt.

- A simple moisturizer (I use Nivea Soft) is a good buffer and can be applied underneath the Retin A or on top, in order to keep skin from getting too sore and dry.

- It's ok to skip days and apply every other day or a couple of times a week.

- Sunblock!

I've not noticed an improvement in my wrinkles, however I *touch wood* don't have that many to begin with so I'm not too bothered. I get mine from an online pharmacy, and although it's a little bit expensive a small tube lasts for months - and it works.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by originalconfidence

Its been a month and im still flaking despite the fact that it is the lowest percentage 0.025%. When will it stop flaking? As for acne... Well its not that big of a difference

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 7:07:00 AM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using Tretinoin Gel 0.025% every other night for around 6-8 weeks (wish I had written down when I started!) and I've already seen a tremendous improvement in my skin! I have oily skin usually, and I noticed a marked increase in oil production on the days after I used retin-a for around 2 weeks but that subsided. I never went through a purging period, I think that's because I only use it every other night. My skin is pretty resilient but between starting retin-a and the weather turning cold, I started experiencing some dryness. I already mixed Rosehip oil with my Clarins daily moisturizer but to combat my newly dry skin I added Jojoba oil, which is supposed to mimic the skin's natural sebum. With this combination, my skin has never looked better! I had big pores, a lot of blackheads on my chin, and whiteheads on my cheeks, all of which never went away, plus at least one active pimple at any given time. All of that has drastically improved. The best part is... I no longer have oily skin!!! I had initially intended to move up to using retin-a every night but I don't think it's necessary as my skin is in such a good state with this regimen. I think the key is balance between using the product and keeping skin adequately hydrated. My expectations have been surpassed--what I wanted was clear skin, I got that plus GLOWING skin! So happy! I also wanted to combat a few fine lines under my eyes and on my forehead. The ones under my eyes are still there but the lines on my forehead have disappeared! The only downside is the price, my prescription cost over $100, insurance wouldn't cover it because I'm 25 years old.