August 20, 2014 | 1071 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Cologne du 68

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2009 3:57:00 PM More reviews by asf19

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very expensive fragance but,God...a unique experience!and worth every penny!
It smells gourgeous and makes me feel happy all the time,a bestseller!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2009 6:19:00 AM More reviews by MellyHelly

what else can I say? I agree with the below reviewers on this scent.
I had the chance to test it in Paris and liked it a lot. It was August and this cologne is quite fresh. Anyway it is not a splasher. It has lasting power and the smell is complex.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2009 10:02:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

WOW!
Another great classical cologne from Guerlain... This one will be the next classical cologne after Eau Imperiale.
I first tried it in a Duty free shop during one of my last trips in 2008... I immediately liked it - I recall it being fresh and uplifting - but I was on the run and made a note to self to get a decant in order to better appreciate it.
I was wondering why "68" (I thought it was somewhat connected to the '68 huge riots in Europe and was celebrating those perhaps?) just to discover after some internet reading that it contains 68 extracts/notes, herbal and floral!
I was really excited.
What I got the decant, well... it lasted me just two days. I was so happy to wear that cologne, that that I ended up consuming it in a blink of an eye.
What should I say?
It is fresh, crisp, modern, sheer. Full of citrus notes, green herbal notes, a rose note, a woody base and some magnificent, feminine aldheides on the drydown.
Classic, fantastic, great for casual and everyday wear.
You must try it! to me, it is already on my lemmings list.
The only thing I regret is the bottle: it is in line with the straightforwardness and linearity of the fragrance, but we are so used to those wonderful bee bottles on the Guerlain's colognes....

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2008 7:50:00 PM More reviews by chochotte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found my absolute HG.
It's woody but not too masculine, spicey but not aggressive, warm and sugared but not overwhelming, bergamote notes are sharp but not cooling down the whole balance. I am allergic to a lot of fragrances, but this one is so comfy I could sleep in a whole basin full of it. Seriously. The price tag is of 100 euros, but the bottle is so huge, I don't know how many years it will last... and there are enough to make and offer decants to all your beloved husband/boyfriend/friends/family and collegues. Can be weared as well as in dry winter, as in tropical summer. I cannot think of any situation where it would be inappropriate. However, if you are looking for a sharp, striking, impressive fragrance, then it won't be your choice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 8:16:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Cologne du 68 is an amazing fragrance. It would seem that with all the notes that it would be an overwhelming, intense scent but it's actually very wearable and light for being so full-bodied. At first spray, I get a fresh, bright herbal citrus with flowers. It's refreshing and clean, with a heady romantic kick. After the citrus softens, a chameleon-like array of notes start to rise. It seems to be a combination of floral, spicy oriental, aromatic, green and clean with a powdery musk finish. And the final drydown is very warm, sweet with wood and spice notes. Everything blends together to create a balanced harmony of notes that is so utterly warm, feminine and romantic. I find many fragrances with floral notes piercing to my brain but this one is soft and almost like velvet. In some ways, the drydown reminds me of Hugo Boss' Deep Red, but this one is more developed.
I could see this being appropriate for work and for daytime wear because it's not strong. I have to get my nose right against my wrist to really smell it, though it can be sensed by others if you walk by or hug them, however it's not going to leave you in a cloud of perfume. It has an average lasting power for an EDT, meaning it'll last 4-5 hours on the skin. You'll want to keep a purse atomizer to refresh this fragrance in the day. And to my knowledge it's only available as an EDT.
The packaging is very masculine. The grey box reminds me of The Art of Shaving packaging with faint tone-on-tone pinstriping and sans serif text in deep plummy brown. The bottle is a tall, slender clear glass cylinder with a mahogany-toned wood cap, embossed with a metal Guerlain logo on top. It has an apothecary-styled label affixed to the bottle which contains all the notes. As with the box, the bottle looks very masculine. The fragrance is clear and has only the slightest apricot-rose tint to it.
$100 for 3.4 oz at Neiman Marcus.
**Picture embedded - please select 'continued' to view.**
Notes: bergamot, green mandarin, lemon, clementine, orange peel, blood orange, sweet lime, grapefruit, basil, fennel, star anise, lavender, bay leaf, cypres, elemi, thyme, myrthe, bigarade, mandarin petit grain, lemon petit grain, pear, violet greens, lierre, gentiane, seve, blackcurrant, freesia, lily of the valley, hazel leaf, cyclamen, cardamom, coriander, black pepper, pink berry, nutmeg, ginger, jasmine, frangipane, magnolia blossom, orange blossom, peony, rose, carnation, ylang-ylang, lychee, fig, blackberry, immortelle, lentisque, opoponax, amber, benzoin, vanilla, cistus, heliotrope, iris, tonka beans, sage, musk, patchouli, agarwood, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, vegetable musk, praline, myrrhe and lychen.

continued >>