January 26, 2015 | 1481 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Volupte (All)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by iqaganda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite among my collection. As you can see, I have LOADS of lippies now. But these are always at the top of my list, making it a priority to use as my favorite. :)

I have this in Provocative Pink, Orange Shivers, Fetish Pink and Caress Pink.

I got these one by one every month (I'm collecting the colors that suits my skin tone! :) ) for HKD 195 each. They are extra smooth, full of color, and extra silky. They are very much moisturizing, compare to the other brands that I've tried. Of all the lippies that I've ever tried in the past, these lipsticks from YSL have the fullest of colors. Just one swipe on your lips is enough to make an expression!

My favorite colors at the moment are the Orange Shivers (I love orange / coral tones at the moment! ) and Fetish Pink. I'm looking forward to having Peach Passion and Lingerie Pink next on my list.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2010 3:14:00 AM More reviews by beisquared

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like the previous reviewers mentioned, this lipstick has a lot of pigmentation. When you swatch it on your skin, one swipe is all you need to get the color to the consistency that is displayed and depending on the color of your lips the color turnout will vary. I bought the #30 Faubourg Peach shade and the turnout wasn't what I expected. The tone was very milky when I applied it on my lips, something that didn't show when I swatched it on my hand. For the price that it is ($30), I was slightly disappointed. It doesn't stay a long time (maybe it was because I didn't use lip primer?) and it just moved all over my lips. After a few hours I had pushed most of the color to the edge of my lips so I ended up with a higher concentration of color on the outer part of my lips. I was, however, able to reduce that effect by not swiping the lipstick on but using a lip brush. I recommend buying this lipstick after you have tried it on your lips in stores as the outcome will be different depending on your lip's pigmentation compared to the swatch on your hand. I probably won't be buying another one unless I absolutely fall in love with the shade.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2010 12:37:00 PM More reviews by waters2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree with previous reviewers. This is a very pigmented gloss stick. Covers lips completely with a layer that can be sheered out with finger. Pretty colors, but for the price, the lipstick does not last longer than a good lip gloss on me. However, unlike other pricey lipsticks coming out lately, such as Chanel's Rouge Coco, these don't dry out my lips or make them look like a shriveled prune. Guerlain's Rouge G last longer on me, and are a completely different formula, but YSL makes my lips look more smooth and silky. I would probably not repurchase unless I loved a color, as I always use a good balm under lipstick, whether I'm paying $16 or $30.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2010 3:31:00 AM More reviews by mypsalms

Dab. Dab. Dab.That is the perfect way to apply this lippy. Or use brush if you must. I own this in Orange Shiver #14. and It is Perfect on my light asian skin tone. Great for that special occasion or just a very 'done' make-up look. Other MUA have describe the texture well so I won't be repeating, but it is a type of lipstick that is so special that If one must own only 1, then choose the brightest colour you could wear. The texture really create a 'drama' to your make-up. It actually makes me feel so sexy just by wearing it..Very happy!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2010 4:53:00 PM More reviews by frini

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

When rouge volupte came out on the market tested them immediatly and didn't find something to suit my skintone...As time passed I kept reading excellent reviews in MUA and always was on the thought of underestimating this product...
I recently purchaged one in Rose Paris (29)is one of the new colours for spring 2010 and realized that I dont like this type of lipstick at all...
I'll tell you why its the texture...
Texture of this lipstick doesn't work for me. My lips are dry from time to time. I don;t have super dry lips but they are not in excellent condition all the time. This lippie is super creamy and the result is very very bold colour. I am surprised on how many people love this,because is not the average lipstick that could work on anyone. BEWARE of Mango scent, it's to potent and even though I like scent on all cosmetics, this is unbearable.
Colour range: Honestly the only colour of this range that could work on the majority of people is Spicy pink IMO. Is a mid beige-pink with a little bit of radiance that seems good. The rest are l/s that might suit to individual persons as they are very different in colours and so potent...I don't know.
Maybe for someone older that has super dry lips and a little bit odd skintone
Price:32euros in Greece.-Same as allure's-chanel.
Package is lovely: It has a small mirror on top that seems useful.
Conclusion: If you want a simple good lipstick that works as a lipstick and not as a mask(its that potent), try MAC please for less. They are excellent.
If you like a more fancy Package and a real lipstick that has a lot of better texture go for ROUGE G. It is really a beauty in all of it's kinds. And because of the bulky package, that I adore by the way and the 39 euros of course doesn;t get the love it deserves.
My last advice is test before you buy. Its necessary.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by pocky

I did not try any of the pale or mid-tone shades since I didn't care for them but I asolutely loved Red Taboo and Forbidden Burgandy. On my lips and with my skintone (light Asian skin with strong yellow and olive undertones), Forbiden Burgandy shows up as a cool plummy bugandy that was especially flattering and dramatic. Red Taboo is a cool red that also works on me.

That said, the texture of this lipstick does not work with darker colors. I wouldn't even call Rouge Volupte a true lipstick. It's more of a gloss stick, albeit a very pigmented one. The deep colors apply true to color and show up very opaque. However, the staying power is non-existent and the lipstick tends to migrate outside the lipline since it's so glossy. This may not be a problem with paler colors but it is a complete disaster with very dark colors. I tried a matching lipliner alone and then a reverse lipliner and finally I tried the matching lipliner on top of the reverse liner. Nothing worked. Unlike a sticky lipgloss that tends to stay put, Rouge Volupte is more like a lipbalm. I also noticed that I need to have moisturized lips before applying Rouge Volupte since dry lips suck up all the moisture in the lipstick.

As much a I love the two shades I bought, $36 is simply too much for a lipstick. If you find a shade that you love and you reapply often (and trust me, you're going to need to reapply often), you will go through a tube very quickly. The shades offered are not unique and the formula is mediocre. I will not be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2009 10:51:00 PM More reviews by Daisycloud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is expensive but worth it! I have been using #9 and #11 since July and will repurchase both when I run out. I'm going back to the counter to see what else looks good on me because these apply so well.

It has deep pigment so you don't have to guess how the colour will turn out on your lips. Choosing lipsticks from other lines is such a headache, but what you see is what you get with colours of Rouge Volupte. It applies like butter and silk on my lips. Hours after I first apply my lips still feel a bit moist and slippery when I rub them together. However, I wouldn't say this lipstick moisturizes because my lips do look a bit scaly because this isn't a lip balm.

It's easy to use because, on me, the colour is so solid that I don't need a lipliner; you can actually fill in your lips shape them with one light swipe of this lipstick! This lipstick may be soft, but it hasn't bled on me yet! Despite the heavy price tag, I totally recommend it!

Update Oct 4, 2011: I picked up a really good tip from YouTuber Lisa Eldridge that I've been using with dark and pigmented lip products. I apply a bit of product on the middle of the top and bottom lips and spread it with a finger. This warms up the product, spreads it more evenly on your lips and helps it wear longer. This product is so moist and pigmented that I'm able to create definition and a sharp outline of my lips with just my fingers. Still awesome!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2009 7:46:00 PM More reviews by Nonfiction

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

#12 Forbidden Burgundy

I am so thrilled with this lipstick. I am AA with dark skin and the color really pops. The color is rich and vibrant. I find lots of lip gloss, but not many shades of lipstick work for me. If so, it is always a limited edition. Well, I look amazing and so kissable! The packaging is fabulous too.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2009 5:13:00 AM More reviews by babyfishnat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

These lipsticks are gorgeously packaged, however.. the creamy formula can sink into lines on your lips if your prone to dryness, it shows especially in the lighter shades, for this reason i won't buy them again, but if i wanted something bright and dark, i'd get these, for light shades the look a little chalked up on my lips.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2009 5:09:00 AM More reviews by Ljana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was an impulse purchase at an airport. My flight was delayed, I was bored and upset and well, I caved in and bought a travel exclusive two-pack of these. I'd seen the swatches online and was familiar with the product (and the hype), so I thought I couldn't go wrong with these. Turns out I don't like them that much, which is not to say these aren't exceptionally well made. Hence the rating - I gave them 4 lippies, but will not buy again. I'll admire their formula from afar, but the ones I bought got passed on to others.
So anyway, this is a very strange product - its main advantages for some may turn out to be its downfall for others. Talk about a full coverage lipstick! I have never in my life come across such an opaque lipstick as this. It literally paints your lips the colour you see in the tube. I don't usually shy away from opaque lip colour, but these are just too much for me. As a consequence, they are very high maintenance - they require careful application, lip liner, etc. They are very risky to touch up on the go, as such a highly pigmented colour is very unforgiving of any mistakes.
On the other hand, it's a wonderful formula - buttery smooth, nourishing, not drying in the least. I wouldn't say these are shiny or glossy, but not quite matte - maybe satin. A finish that's hard to describe. It has SPF 15 and a mild, pleasant scent.
The two shades I got are #1 Nude Beige (Beige Charnel in the Euro version) and #8 Fetish Pink. The first one made me look like a corpse even though I'm quite pale, which brings me to another flaw. The colour selection, especially the paler shades, is not universally flattering. To make this work, you need to have a specific skin tone and make sure the rest of your make-up works with your lipstick. If worn with a neutral look it almost made me invisible, but with a dramatic bold eye it turned into a goth, huge-eyes-no-lips kind of look.
The other one, Fetish pink, was better, but simply too vibrant (and maybe too blue-based?) for me. I passed it on to my mother, who is considerably darker than me and she loves it. Looks great on her, especially when she's tanned.
Overall, The Volupte is quite possibly the best lipstick formula I've ever tried, but it's too opaque and too demanding for me. For now, I'll stick to Chanel Rouge Allure, but if they ever come up with Rouge Volupte Light (or Sheer), I'll happily try it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No