Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butyl Stearate, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Cera Alba (Beeswax), Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil Extract, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Stearyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Fragrance, Behenic Acid, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Butylene Glycol, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Limonene. [ /- May Contain: Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 15850 (Red 7), Ci 15850 (Red 6), Ci 45410 (Red 28 Lake), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), Ci 17200 (Red 33 Lake), Ci 73360 (Red 30), Ci 75470 (Carmine), Ci 12085 (Red 36), Ci 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Ci 77019 (Mica), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Ci 77002 (Aluminum Hydroxide), Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Talc

on 10/19/2010 2:47:00 AM

I have a love hate relationship with these lipsticks, I love them when I first put them on and then hate them after the first hour of wear. I have them in sweet honey, sensual silk, and peach passion, the peach passion is terrible looking on yellow toned skin like mine and both the sweet honey and sensual silk are shades of nude that really wash me out unless I have a full face of makeup on or a flawless skin day. ugh why do I even own these they need to go back to sephora! I barely ever use these lipsticks, because I know the colors generally suck on me and I know how much I'll hate the formula in an hour but somehow the chic packaging, and the initial feeling of them sucks me in, and I keep buying more colors in hopes that I'll find the perfect one that suits me for everyday wear.

Love...
-the texture when you put it on, Moist silky smooth glide very close to the cle de peau lipstick which is my fave
-doesn't feel heavy on the lips
-highly densely pigmented
-the smell, fruity melons!
-undeniably gorgeous packaging

Hate... (this is a timeline of what happens)
-the moist silky smooth texture evaporates and leaves behind the dried up pigment, this happens within the first 15-30 min of wearing it.
-dries out my lips
-pigment settles into my lip lines. I then have to put on a balm or gloss so my lips don't look chapped and gross
-this lipstick has zero staying power, you have reapply again and again
- the cost of this is almost entirely due to the packaging since the formula isn't amazingly high quality

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I'm afraid I'm just not won over by these lipsticks. I am quite the traditional lipstick wearer and don't wear gloss at all so I thought I would step out of my comfort zone of dark dry matte lipsticks, such as NARS Russian Doll, and try one of these. I was severly disappointed. These are not a classic lipstick. They are soft and glossy and whilst they are highly pigmented, the lasting power is atrocious and they have a tendancy to migrate. While the packaging is very luxurious and beautiful, IMO the product just does not warrant the price tag. Will not repurchase.

on 5/24/2010 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of my favorite among my collection. As you can see, I have LOADS of lippies now. But these are always at the top of my list, making it a priority to use as my favorite. :)

I have this in Provocative Pink, Orange Shivers, Fetish Pink and Caress Pink.

I got these one by one every month (I'm collecting the colors that suits my skin tone! :) ) for HKD 195 each. They are extra smooth, full of color, and extra silky. They are very much moisturizing, compare to the other brands that I've tried. Of all the lippies that I've ever tried in the past, these lipsticks from YSL have the fullest of colors. Just one swipe on your lips is enough to make an expression!

My favorite colors at the moment are the Orange Shivers (I love orange / coral tones at the moment! ) and Fetish Pink. I'm looking forward to having Peach Passion and Lingerie Pink next on my list.

on 4/20/2010 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Like the previous reviewers mentioned, this lipstick has a lot of pigmentation. When you swatch it on your skin, one swipe is all you need to get the color to the consistency that is displayed and depending on the color of your lips the color turnout will vary. I bought the #30 Faubourg Peach shade and the turnout wasn't what I expected. The tone was very milky when I applied it on my lips, something that didn't show when I swatched it on my hand. For the price that it is ($30), I was slightly disappointed. It doesn't stay a long time (maybe it was because I didn't use lip primer?) and it just moved all over my lips. After a few hours I had pushed most of the color to the edge of my lips so I ended up with a higher concentration of color on the outer part of my lips. I was, however, able to reduce that effect by not swiping the lipstick on but using a lip brush. I recommend buying this lipstick after you have tried it on your lips in stores as the outcome will be different depending on your lip's pigmentation compared to the swatch on your hand. I probably won't be buying another one unless I absolutely fall in love with the shade.

on 4/1/2010 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I agree with previous reviewers. This is a very pigmented gloss stick. Covers lips completely with a layer that can be sheered out with finger. Pretty colors, but for the price, the lipstick does not last longer than a good lip gloss on me. However, unlike other pricey lipsticks coming out lately, such as Chanel's Rouge Coco, these don't dry out my lips or make them look like a shriveled prune. Guerlain's Rouge G last longer on me, and are a completely different formula, but YSL makes my lips look more smooth and silky. I would probably not repurchase unless I loved a color, as I always use a good balm under lipstick, whether I'm paying $16 or $30.

on 3/8/2010 3:31:00 AM

Dab. Dab. Dab.That is the perfect way to apply this lippy. Or use brush if you must. I own this in Orange Shiver #14. and It is Perfect on my light asian skin tone. Great for that special occasion or just a very 'done' make-up look. Other MUA have describe the texture well so I won't be repeating, but it is a type of lipstick that is so special that If one must own only 1, then choose the brightest colour you could wear. The texture really create a 'drama' to your make-up. It actually makes me feel so sexy just by wearing it..Very happy!

on 3/3/2010 4:53:00 PM

When rouge volupte came out on the market tested them immediatly and didn't find something to suit my skintone...As time passed I kept reading excellent reviews in MUA and always was on the thought of underestimating this product...
I recently purchaged one in Rose Paris (29)is one of the new colours for spring 2010 and realized that I dont like this type of lipstick at all...
I'll tell you why its the texture...
Texture of this lipstick doesn't work for me. My lips are dry from time to time. I don;t have super dry lips but they are not in excellent condition all the time. This lippie is super creamy and the result is very very bold colour. I am surprised on how many people love this,because is not the average lipstick that could work on anyone. BEWARE of Mango scent, it's to potent and even though I like scent on all cosmetics, this is unbearable.
Colour range: Honestly the only colour of this range that could work on the majority of people is Spicy pink IMO. Is a mid beige-pink with a little bit of radiance that seems good. The rest are l/s that might suit to individual persons as they are very different in colours and so potent...I don't know.
Maybe for someone older that has super dry lips and a little bit odd skintone
Price:32euros in Greece.-Same as allure's-chanel.
Package is lovely: It has a small mirror on top that seems useful.
Conclusion: If you want a simple good lipstick that works as a lipstick and not as a mask(its that potent), try MAC please for less. They are excellent.
If you like a more fancy Package and a real lipstick that has a lot of better texture go for ROUGE G. It is really a beauty in all of it's kinds. And because of the bulky package, that I adore by the way and the 39 euros of course doesn;t get the love it deserves.
My last advice is test before you buy. Its necessary.

on 11/27/2009 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I did not try any of the pale or mid-tone shades since I didn't care for them but I asolutely loved Red Taboo and Forbidden Burgandy. On my lips and with my skintone (light Asian skin with strong yellow and olive undertones), Forbiden Burgandy shows up as a cool plummy bugandy that was especially flattering and dramatic. Red Taboo is a cool red that also works on me.

That said, the texture of this lipstick does not work with darker colors. I wouldn't even call Rouge Volupte a true lipstick. It's more of a gloss stick, albeit a very pigmented one. The deep colors apply true to color and show up very opaque. However, the staying power is non-existent and the lipstick tends to migrate outside the lipline since it's so glossy. This may not be a problem with paler colors but it is a complete disaster with very dark colors. I tried a matching lipliner alone and then a reverse lipliner and finally I tried the matching lipliner on top of the reverse liner. Nothing worked. Unlike a sticky lipgloss that tends to stay put, Rouge Volupte is more like a lipbalm. I also noticed that I need to have moisturized lips before applying Rouge Volupte since dry lips suck up all the moisture in the lipstick.

As much a I love the two shades I bought, $36 is simply too much for a lipstick. If you find a shade that you love and you reapply often (and trust me, you're going to need to reapply often), you will go through a tube very quickly. The shades offered are not unique and the formula is mediocre. I will not be repurchasing.

on 11/26/2009 10:51:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is expensive but worth it! I have been using #9 and #11 since July and will repurchase both when I run out. I'm going back to the counter to see what else looks good on me because these apply so well.

It has deep pigment so you don't have to guess how the colour will turn out on your lips. Choosing lipsticks from other lines is such a headache, but what you see is what you get with colours of Rouge Volupte. It applies like butter and silk on my lips. Hours after I first apply my lips still feel a bit moist and slippery when I rub them together. However, I wouldn't say this lipstick moisturizes because my lips do look a bit scaly because this isn't a lip balm.

It's easy to use because, on me, the colour is so solid that I don't need a lipliner; you can actually fill in your lips shape them with one light swipe of this lipstick! This lipstick may be soft, but it hasn't bled on me yet! Despite the heavy price tag, I totally recommend it!

Update Oct 4, 2011: I picked up a really good tip from YouTuber Lisa Eldridge that I've been using with dark and pigmented lip products. I apply a bit of product on the middle of the top and bottom lips and spread it with a finger. This warms up the product, spreads it more evenly on your lips and helps it wear longer. This product is so moist and pigmented that I'm able to create definition and a sharp outline of my lips with just my fingers. Still awesome!

on 8/12/2009 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

#12 Forbidden Burgundy

I am so thrilled with this lipstick. I am AA with dark skin and the color really pops. The color is rich and vibrant. I find lots of lip gloss, but not many shades of lipstick work for me. If so, it is always a limited edition. Well, I look amazing and so kissable! The packaging is fabulous too.

Popular Lipsticks