August 30, 2014 | 1795 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2013 7:04:00 AM More reviews by beaglebaileysmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm in the camp that finds this one of the most retched smells imaginable. But I too take issue with the comments equating "old lady" and "awful." People say a perfume smells like old lady, obviously implying that is a strong negative. It is ageist, and it makes me wonder what these ladies think they are going to be if they are fortunate enough not to die young??? We are all future old ladies. BUT STILL...I admit that the image YD has always brought to mind for me is that of a very old woman with a walker and swollen ankles. I'm just being honest and readily accept any flames that may provoke. The age association is possibly due to the fact that this perfume has been around forever and is, in fact, favored by lots of elderly women. But let me be clear: That is not what makes this retched! There are a number of so-called "old lady" scents that I adore. But this is a special kind of hideous. So, thumbs down to this stinker, and thumbs down to mean ageist remarks.

7 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is good on dry cold surfaces. Moisture, oil and temperature turns it into a chicken curry takeaway! where the actual youth dew is supposed to be found - i cannot fathom, unless it means being spiced up, baked, put into the ground and be reborn from the ashes! The comment about the tulip bulbs in the soil is spot-on, and I mean it in a good way: there's everything one could take from the earth in this fragrance - all the spices and elements that have ever been harvested and mined. It is bountiful, awakening and energizing, but for me this turns into plain curry halfway through the drydown. I am still convinced that it takes a special skin chemistry to pull this one off and I am absolutely sure that on the right skin it can be gorgeous: give it a try, on the skin - not on the clothes or paper! I will use my sample on the pillows and duvets before putting the bed linen on and see what happens! I give it 3 lippies for originality of composition: you just don't forget easily something like that!
Update: nope, doesn't work on fabric: it is only barely there, 0 sillage, maybe 0,1 if I press both nostrils flat and deep into the pillow case. ah well...
Assotiated city: Bombay
Associated persona: Ghandi!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by Seemi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i know fragrance is subjective and what one person may love another may hate. I feel Youth Dew is a wonderful full bodied warm heady concoction it makes me feel all warm and snuggly each time i catch a whiff throughout the day. I must add it is powerful stuff and must be worn cautiously and not to douse oneself in it as that will cause many to duck and dodge you. All in all Estee Lauder knew her stuff and I for one am hooked on YD i will always wear this magnificent scent no matter what.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by MaggyB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Someone I know had an overbearing teacher who wore this. The students called it "the scent of fear" because they could smell her coming down the hall lol! I think it may be ok if used sparingly and not "layered" like lasagna. Perfume is such a personal thing that I don't think people in the next zip code should be able to smell it. I like perfume but this stuff makes me gag.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by ningurl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the ipidemy of old lady stench. I sold fragrance for years and not one single man said he enjoyed it. Only rich little old ladies with fur coats would purchase this. When you're trapped in a small space with some old woman, and you can't figure out what that smell is, it smells musty and sophisticated, yet sucks all the air out of your lungs, you can bet its Youth Dew.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 8:20:00 AM More reviews by svprior

Men love this perfume - and luckily I love it too! :-D I totally disagree with the reviewer above. I'm not a little old lady nor do I own a fur coat. Youth Dew is complex and full bodied, with delicious coca cola notes. It is strong - but it changes character through the day and dries down to a lovely powdery warm scent. Best way to apply, is spray into the air and walk through it - needs only a light application.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 6:03:00 PM More reviews by TerracottaSun

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I understand perfume preferences is a personal choice but how anyone could possibly like this great-grandma smelling stinch is mind blowing. This has got to be the most wicked, offensive, rancid smelling scent in the market. My friends' 80 yr old mother told me that's all she's ever worn, I couldn't get myself to buy it for her for Christmas, I just couldn't do it so I bought Versace Bright Crystal instead just to enlighten her on what nice perfume should smell like. This perfume takes the word "gross" to a whole new level. Granted, everyones' sense of smell may vary but damn!...........how is it possible you find this appealing? How?

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 3:14:00 PM More reviews by MimiMonstermash

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WHAT THE HELL ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT!! This is such a beautiful, complex, and magical perfume at an OK price. I am in love<3! I am a young 19 year old, and i do not think this perfume smells like dead people. I was hoping so much that it wouldn't smell as BAD as people said it would! I was so scared, but this.. this is pure classiness! I am a lover of complex fragrances such as Chanel No. 5, Lolita Lempicka, Tabu, Shalimar, Chanel "Coco" (the first one, not the Coco Mademoiselle), Opium, Hypnotic Poison, Poison, and so much more. THIS perfume, deserves just as much credibility as those other perfumes that i mentioned.
I bought the bath oil (which i recommend more because its a higher concentration meaning you can just apply a tiny finger bad and it will smell as if you sprayed one or two times), and its amazing!! THAT IS ALL YOU NEED, ONE SMALL DAB on either your neck, back of knees, your wrist, or in between your breast and THATS IT!

This perfume smells of patchouli, amber, jasmine, orange, cinnamon, cloves, tabacco, woodiness, ( i get a bit of civet smell), musk, (some aldehydes). I just applied it 20 mins ago so im sure the smell will change to its different notes. BUT THIS PERFUME IS GREAT!

For people that say this is an "old lady perfume", i like do disagree a bit with the wording. Older type of fragrance from a different time, YES. Only old ladies wear this perfume, NO. I wear Tabu, a perfume that smells just a bit similar to this and i have gotten compliments from many males my age, my fathers age, and my grandfathers age. So there is no logic in saying men will dislike this. I am sure those "old ladies" are still getting hit on by those old gentlemen!

I guess now a days, the fragrance companies have changed due to the 90's gourmand movement, creating an audience that likes fruity, candy, sweet smells. Sadly, in my opinion, people now are so used to having people smell so simple, so... ONE note. This perfume is for people who are NOT AFRAID of having a complex smell and sultriness.

I can see this as a unisex perfume because it does have a sort of hippie incense bit to it. I once met a black man who has some hippie musky fragrance on, and let me tell you, HE SMELLED FREAKIN' GREAT!

I do see my mother and grandmother wearing this. My mother (who is 41 years old) says it smells great, and my father who is 42 also agrees. I dont consider them old folk.. i dont know anyone in their young 40's to be old..

Instantly, i get the image of a seductive, spicy, witty, smart, sexy, beautiful woman walking down with lovely hair, red beautiful lips and long eyelashes wearing this. If someone were to make love to someone wearing this, IT WOULD BE A LOVELY smell.

anywho.. i think i have written so much.. so let me just get down to the nitty gritty.

I AM a NINETEEN YEAR OLD YOUNG WOMAN who WEARS "Youth Dew", and gets compliments on THIS PERFUME by many people!

So if you want to smell like the above stated, wear this!

Expand your fragrance experience to complexed smells, soon enough, you will not go back!

PS. I do admit, "Youth Dew" is not a good name for this.. It needs a darker, velvet, mysterious name. "Youth Dew" doesnt give it justice.

25 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2012 1:21:00 AM More reviews by pinknika

WHAT THE @&$?!. ?? THIS is "youth dew"? Ummm I think there's some kind of mistake. Like my other review for Cinnabar, I cannot find out why anyone appreciates this scent. It's just so stuffy, and old, and crotchety. No offense but why do these scents appeal to old women? Is it because they are so old they can't detect how bad they smell? Their sense of smell diminishes when you get older?? Is that what's gonna happen to me when I get that age? Good freakin grief. The good news is my mom agreed, she was grossed out too and this lady is in her early 50's who loves Bulgari, Donna Karan, Chanel, Givenchy...Anyhoo!!! I'm just shocked. I don't get it, and maybe I have to be 80 years old to understand. Bleh.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/5/2012 5:22:00 PM More reviews by tyekristopher

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh youth dew... The name alone doesn't appeal to me... the girls at estee lauder counter spray themselves down with this and I'm not talking two sprays either I'm talking like standing under a waterfall in youth dew... YUCK it is so strong and cloying... Nothing about this gets me excited... nothing youthful about it at all.... I always hold my breath when I go by the counter...