July 25, 2014 | 1001 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Uber Dry Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen leaves a nice matte finish. It's creamy and a little thick, which makes it a bit hard to blend in, but it's not a big deal. I do have some issues with it balling up, but I think it depends on what you use under it (your moisturizer or whatever), and how long you've let whatever that is, sink into your skin and dry. Also, my Hourglass primer doesn't absorb into my face if I put it on over this. This sunscreen seems to leave a kind of film, which is fine for foundation but a little troublesome for products that need to sink in (like primer). That film I mention is not something you can feel -- I just mean it must leave some sort of invisible barrier.

So this is supposed to be great for oily skin. I think it might work well for those with slightly oily skin, but not for those who have serious issues (like me). This doesn't really control oil, and it does this funny thing where it makes my foundation fade faster.

Even though I have problems using this with my make-up, I do find it to be a rather good sunscreen. It feels like nothing on your skin and leaves nothing behind -- no greasy look or feel, no shine, no white cast. You just get a smooth, matte finish.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

I have no hesitation in recommending this sunscreen for the body - it does feel dry and weightless and the SPF 30 is sufficient for most daytime activities (if you're spending a day at the beach you should probably seek a higher SPF). People who are reluctant to wear sunscreen because of the greasy feel should try this because of the comfortable finish. For the face, I think it's good for certain skin types but not all. I wore this under makeup one day and it felt heavy even though my complexion looked good - it actually had a soft dewy look even though the finish is matte. But by five o'clock I really wanted to wash my face - it felt thick. For reference my skin is sensitive and prone to small breakouts, so you can call it combination. I'll continue to get it but it's not my HG for face - just for body.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 5:31:00 AM More reviews by Tindra78

This is hard!

I have used this for 4-5 days. This leaves a completely adorable finish, compared to many many sunscreens!!! My face actually stayed matte until lunchtime, which I haven't experienced even with ordinary matte-moisturizers! I have really, really oily acne prone skin!!! It does not leave any white cast, ANY greasyness, any shine!! It is like a wonderful primer, cause it keeps the makeup at place... When you touch the face it feels almost more clean than without anything on it!!!

It's a little hard to spread, its a thick cream...

Now to the problem: yesterday I discovered many new small bumps on my face...small ones everywhere... But in a few days I'm going to have my period, so it might be that? Or something I've ate? Hmmm.... But this made me extremely scared: I have so hard to find a sunscreen that doesn't break me out and doesn't make me look lite a greaseball, so I really HOPE this will wodrk.... But right now ill have to wait a few days until the period is over, and than try it again....

Update: Now i have used this daily for over a week. There were actually no bumps much more than I usually get and that you can't remove with some scrub... BUT, my face have felt tight and have been red / itchy during the days, I guess that it is cause this is a little dry and there is not much moisture in it.... It also feels a bit thick to put on in the morning, its really hard to spread...

Ok, ill update about it again...

UPDATE 10th october 2012;
I heard that this isnīt photostable, so during the summer and vacation I looked for another sunscreen... But I still haven't found any that is both cosmetically ok, not greasy and does not break me out.
I went to the dermatologist for my hyperpigmentation, and she said that i HAVE TO use sunscreen with at least spf 30 DAILY even if it's winter over here.... So now I've used this one again for maybe 2 weeks... Strangely it still doesn't break me out!! It keeps the skin really matte and the makeup at place!! The only thing is that it can become a little dry it I don't use moisturizer under it, and its hard to use around eyes and mouth (cause of fine lines and dryness on that areas). I'll try to find a sunscreen separately for eyes and mouth cause this one is really good under makeup!!

Update 9th november 2012:

I tried the Elta MD Clear spf 46, and liked it more than this sunscreen. This one is more drying, waterresistent, and thicker than the Elta MD. I prefer the very lightweight kind of sunscreen for everyday use, especially cause you usually wear makeup daily...

The other con with this is the discussion about the photostability....
SO: I'm taking one lippie off on this one cause if you COMPARE it to for example Elta MD, it gets a lower rating...

Still it's a nice sunscreen for us with acne-prone skin....if you haven't find anything that works....

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2012 2:23:00 AM More reviews by peunwha

little bit hard to spread.. it dries my skin, and not great as primer either.. besides that it's pricy.
I much prefer 'Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 30' and 'Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40' to this. those works perfect. but this is not that great.. dont' have any reason to use this anymore

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by lagenia

This sunscreen really is dry, not oily at all, but does eels a bit thick.I was really expecting to get the usual greasy odd smelling goop you normally get. But not this stuff. I have somewhat oily, acne-prone skin so it is difficult for me to find something I can use. I did not have any problems with this. I would purchase this product again and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a dry sunscreen, although personally I am still looking for a liquid sunscreen that would work as well. It just seems that a liquid would be more acne-safe.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 4:59:00 AM More reviews by janeerackley

If only all sunscreens were like this!

I struggle to find something that is oil free, confortable, doesn't aggrevate my acne and is non - shiny on my skin, but this ticks all of those boxes. It goes on a little thick and can be a bit drying. Other than that, it's the best facial sunscreen I've tried and I have no intention of even looking for an alternative. The only negatives are that it's not available here in the UK and is too expensive for use all over my body.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2012 9:48:00 PM More reviews by jooelze

I can't layer makeup on top of this sunscreen at all. Whenever I use the sunscreen, it just rubs off my skin in a white residue. It feels like it doesn't sink into my skin at all and just sits on top in a thin sheen. It does not make me look good or natural.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 5:31:00 AM More reviews by alicilera

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I super love this sunblock! i have combi-oily skin and i am sooo afraid of sunblock that gives me a lot of shine.. i have tried avene, diorsnow, etc brands and no matter what, they add some level of shine! this will be very drying for those with normal to dry skin - and it is not intended for those skin types anyway! if u have oily/combi skin, sensitive, try this! coupled with chanel loose powder, it is the best oil control so far for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by linz75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great sunscreen! Feels dry on my skin, doesn't feel wearing sun protection. Doesn't give my skin break-outs.
Really good price for quite a big packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2011 8:29:00 AM More reviews by Temple

This sunscreen is truly amazing. A while ago, before trying this and the MD Formulation one, I thought all sunscreens leave your skin pasty white and oily (I have used La Roche Posay - Anthelios XL Fluid SPF 50 before for a couple of years). Although I prefer the Moisture Defense Antioxidant Moisturizer SPF 20 from MD Formulation, mainly because of the soft powdery finish (at least to me it seems that way :) ), this sunscreen is equally impressive.
A have combination and acne prone skin, with clogged and visible pores. I have used this only on my face, almost half a tube, and it has not broken me out. It is thicker in consistency, but it melts into the skin with no visible cast, shine or anything. Just like the name says, the finish is dry, like you have nothing on. I would recommend waiting a couple of minutes (preferably 10-15) before applying foundation (I personally use a powder foundation) because I have noticed that my skin gets oilier then usual if I apply makeup right after I apply the sunscreen.
Summary: good sunscreen, matte finish, did not break me out, did not make me oily (or oilier then usual), good quantity for the paid price (if it is used only as face sunscreen).
UPDATE: Even though I stated this sunscreen doesn't make me oily I have to say that compared to OBAGI Nu Derm Sun Shield SPF 50, it does make my skin a lot oilier - by lunch time I am very very shiny. But this still doesn't change the fact that this sunscreen is one of the best I have tried. It just means that there are sunscreens out there more suitable to my skin type.