Revlon Colorsilk in Brown Black

4.4

on 12/16/2013 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Very nice dark brown shade with neutral tones. I have naturally light-medium brown hair. I wanted to go darker. Normally I use wash out dyes to darken but I didn't love any of the shades. I wanted to try black but was afraid it would look too harsh against my fair skin and light eyes. I decided to give this dark brown/black a try based on reviews. Love the color. My hairs looks soooo shiny and rich in photos. The color really isn't too harsh or dark for fair ladies. I usually dye my hair light so sometimes I can't handle the drastic change to dark. Really was a vdry pretty shade. The color looked natural too. It's so cheap. Definitely worth a try. I don't normally buy Revlon hair color but really liked this particular shade.

on 11/7/2013 2:17:00 AM

I applied this above a faded dark auburn red, and the color came out just as it looks on the box, just with reddish tones in certain sunlight. I would say it darkened about 3 tones from what i originally had so its going to take some time to get used to. The color is absolutely beautiful, it even made my ends appear healthier. This will be my go to hair color until i dare to go darker. Recommended!

on 5/14/2013 11:10:00 AM

I have been using this color on my hair for the last 2 years. My natural hair color is very light brown, but I wanted something darker and more dramatic without being jet black. This color is exactly that. It's not so black that it doesn't look natural. (People think it's my real hair color.) It's easy to use and root touch ups are simple. Like any hair dye, it can be messy to use, but that is normal. I use it every month or two, and I haven't noticed any damage to my hair in the last 2 years. The price is great too. I'm going to continue to use this color until I get sick of it.

on 5/2/2013 4:55:00 AM

This stuff right here? Absolutely positively destroyed my hair. I started using it because I wanted a box color to cover my greys and I wanted a permanent color that wouldn't wash out despite its claims of being permanent- I'm looking at you, Feria! But anyway, this color did the trick and I continued to use it for well over a year. And then one day I looked up and simply could not believe what a mess my hair had become. Dry, scraggly, straw-like. That's the thing about this dye, it gave good results initially but was extremely damaging over time. Using this product on a regular basis, the damage will sneak up on you.
I started a routine of protein treatments combined with deep conditioning and regular trims to try to fix my hair. In the end I basically had to wait for the mess to simply grow out altogether.
I have since switched to Clairol Nice n Easy and have been very pleased. My hair improved a million percent after I stopped using ColorSilk.
One more thing and I don't know if this is specific to this particular shade, but after a couple of weeks of shampoos the dark brown fades quite a bit and leaves a burgundy tint to the hair. If you don't mind people asking you if you've dyed your hair burgundy then this might not be a problem.
It's cheap and there's a reason why! Will never ever purchase this again.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Wow! I was in walmart the other night and I happened to wonder into the hair dye area, browsing through, I thought "I haven't used a box dye in over 10 yrs!" I had no idea witch one to use. I usually go to sally's for my hair dying needs. I knew I wanted something to pep up my color and was about to walk away thinking, "I'll just go to sally's", when I saw this brand for $2.99! I decided to try it, it couldn't hurt, it was so cheap I wouldn't mind having to go get my regular dye if needed. Well whataya know! I don't need to! Lol I LOVE this color, gave me the pep I was looking for and made my hair really shiny. I'm going to go buy a couple of boxes to keep for when it starts to fade. Very happy I tried it.

on 9/30/2012 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I hate to bring down the high reviews but I had to share my two cents. I am Asian with your typical Asian black hair. A few months ago I dyed my hair a medium brown red (palty). I got tired of the color and wanted to return to natural black hair. Asian black hair is not jet black, it's light black. . I specifically chose this color because I wanted it to come out brown black, and not jet black. However it came out jet black. I only left it in for 20 minutes. The dye is fine and the conditioner is great. But I'm not happy with the results because it looks way too unnatural on me. I have light Asian skin tone and the black is too dark.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I was surprised at how much I loved this hair color, and it has now become my HG color for when I dye my hair at home! The packaging is nothing special at all, and with the extremely inexpensive price, I was expecting it to be pretty sub-par. However, it is actually a great product, and yields beautiful results. It's easy enough to apply, although the gloves they supply you with are completely useless. Using my own gloves, I found the supplied applicator bottle to be satisfactory, but it's even better if you mix it in a bowl and apply with a color brush instead. The dye doesn't drip or run, and I don't have a huge problem with it staining my skin, either. It washes out easily, leaving my hair shiny, and the color is gorgeous! A soft, rich, brownish-black. Don't be fooled by the cheap price and the unimpressive box. This is the best black hair dye I have found in a drugstore.

on 3/2/2012 2:23:00 AM

Colorsilk is a gem! I've tried lots of other dyes because I've been coloring at home for a few years now and I always ignored Colorsilk because it seemed cheap to me- now I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner! I would have saved a lot of money over the years, ahh. This color gives me such a pretty shade of dark, shiny, chocolatey-brown hair, which is just what I wanted! I have naturally light brown hair with a patch of hair with no pigment (it's a birthmark) that I would prefer not to be noticeable, and I've always had trouble getting my hair to be a natural, flattering color, that doesn't look uneven. Enter this dye- and I've found my HG! The color indeed looks even, fades slowly and evenly into shade that's lighter but still flattering.

The packaging isn't anything special but that's alright. I actually mix the color in a plastic bowl and use my own gloves and a brush to paint the color on my hair, which works well with this dye, as it doesn't drip very much. I would recommend investing in those things if you home-color often, by the way. You can find them at Sally Beauty for pretty cheap and they make home-dying so much easier.

I would be careful with this dye though, if you have hair that's very fragile or damage-prone. My hair is incredibly sturdy and this actually does dry it out a little bit, and for a few days after I've colored it sometimes feels a little fried unless I deep-condition it after.

on 1/17/2012 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I did some research for best box color for dark hair and for covering greys. I must agree with the positive reviews here! Don't let the price fool you because although it's under $4, the quality of the product is very good. The results were that it covered ALL greys, removed all the unwanted highlights and a very natural black shade. Only in the light can I see a touch of brown on me. After styling, I kept looking for greys or maybe color I missed and found none!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Like some of the other reviewers, I was wary of using this product because it is so cheap. I'm really pleased that I risked it though because I am very happy with the results. The product application is similar to others I have used - no worse, no better. However, I did prefer the smell over other products I've used. I used 2 boxes of color but this isn't a reflection on the product - I wanted to cover root to ends and my hair is long and thick. Gray coverage is excellent, the color is as per the box and is very even throughout, and my hair did seem in better condition afterwards. Its been 10 days since coloring and a couple of hair washes/swimming sessions later and I haven't noticed any fading. I agree that the packet of after-color conditioner is small, but you can splurge on some good conditioning treatment with the money you save when buying this product.