April 20, 2014 | 1444 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 5:26:00 PM More reviews by yasminthompson

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

When I first bought this mascara I really liked it! It was the perfect texture, and my eyelashes looked super long. But after a couple if weeks the product became really dry and hard to use, and in fact made my eyelashes look shorter and they had more clumps. Unless your willing to purchase this product often, I wouldn't buy it

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 10:19:00 PM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara was on sale at Target and I decided to get it as I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to Lancome's Hynpose.
Overall, the Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal isn't a bad mascara. It doesn't give colossal volume as the name implies but rather, it gives decent volume and length. It can get clumpy if you get carried away so definitely go easy on the application.

I had concerns about the large wand but it's actually okay and I don't end up with mascara on my lids. I still like to use a lengthening mascara (L'Oreal Butterfly is my current fave) to finish as I like va va voom lashes.

How does it hold up after a long day?
I do get some smudging after a long day (but get this with most mascaras and I can't use waterproof versions) and wee bit of flaking so one lippie off for that.

Does it remove easily with regular eye makeup remover?
Yes, but I still need to get rid of the smudges around my eyes with a Q-tip after using a cotton pad to remove my eye makeup.

Is there a fragrance?
There is a slight fragrance which seems to common with Maybelline mascaras but this one is rather faint (for me anyways) and it doesn't irritate my eyes. (unlike L'Oreal's Million Lashes)

Would I repurchase?
Yes, if it were on sale and I needed a new mascara. Otherwise, I'd still get the L'Oreal Voluminous carbon black and butterfly.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Solfire

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. It lengthens and adds volume really well for me. My only complaint is that it does smudge (my eye area does tend to get a bit oily throughout the day). I need something that holds up for at least 10 hours and unfortunately, this doesn't.

I do tend to come back to this product, but only when I need something that reliably lengthens and volumizes. But I wouldn't consider it my HG due to the smudging issue.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by bujiyama

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The only thing that was colossal was the clumping and very difficult removal of this product. It smudged as much as any other mascara. I hate the clumped "spider eyes" look but want volume and definition. Even when I combed my lashes this didn't look clean or natural for me. It took several attempts with different cleansers to remove this mascara, so I'm not buying this one again. I had good experience with Maybelline Great Lash long ago. Maybe I should have tried that one again instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 8:11:00 AM More reviews by jennabethh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall I like the mascara very well. I will most likely purchase again.
I have very straight lashes, and I find that if I curl them and then apply mascara, they lose their curl. Easy fix for this is to curl, use a waterproof lengthening mascara for the first coat (i find that waterproof mascara holds curl 100% better), and then I use my volumizing mascara overtop!

I like this mascara because I can apply multiple coats and it doesn't clump. A bit spidery now and then, but it may just be because I've had the tube I have now for a few months.
Time to go out and get a new tube!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 7:44:00 AM More reviews by anjalisharma

I loved it for 3 months in which I used it regularly and after which it seemed to loose it's potency. Right now using Clinique and Estee Lauder and I find this one is comparable to any highend mascara. What I love most about this mascara is it holds the curl. The color is nice and deep. It irritated my (lens wearing) eyes after 3 months so I stopped using. It's affordable and doesn't flake. Very buildable, which I find most drugstore mascaras tend to look spidery after 2 coats and/or won't hold curl. It's not my HG (I loved Loreal length something) but for the price, I will repurchase; I've been wanting to try the flasies/flase lash one though.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

This makes my lashes look very full. It's also not as drying as some other mascaras I've tried. (I seem to not lose many lashes with this.) The price is great too, highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by PaolaheartsJB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

The mascara I always go back to. I've been using this for a couple years, on and off and probably always will. This mascara has a classic teddy bear brush but it somehow manages to lengthen and volumize my lashes without any clumps. All it takes is two coats and the formula never smudges or irritates my eyes. I personally enjoy the fragrance it has(it smells like roses to me) but I can see why that could be problematic for sensitive eyes. Also for those that prefer a glossy finish ex.lash blast, stay away because this one of those mascara that leaves an almost matte finish to your lashes(looks better than it sounds). Definitely reccomend this and hope maybelline never discontinues this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancyBlonde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This mascara is fabulous! It lengthens, thickens, separates, never clumps and does not smear at all. I get beautiful long~thick~silky lashes. While the brush is nice and big it still allows me to get into the corners so that I can coat every single lash. Sometimes mascara can irritate and bother my eyes but in all honesty I have never had that issue with this mascara. I think I paid around $5 for it in Target and I will definitely repurchase when I need to. I do recommend this one for sure!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2014 8:22:00 PM More reviews by cherrykongai

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best mascara I have ever used. If Maybelline would stop testing on animals, I'd buy it over and over.