December 21, 2014 | 1960 users online

Conditioner - The Egg Bomb

• Price: $

Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

I use one whole egg, 2 Tbsp honey, 2 Tbsp EVOO and one cup of water. Mix well and pour on clean, dry hair. Wrap it in a towel for about 30 min and rinse with cool water. If I'm staying home, I rinse and leave it...If I'm going out, I shampoo and condition. My hair has never felt better! Also, MSM is a great supplement for soft, strong hair and nails. I do the rinse about once every other week as too much protein can be a bad thing (straw head lol)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by KatWKSF

I agree with several of the other writers here. I, too, love finding homemade, do-it-yourself beauty remedies on the internet. I tried several different ones involving concotions of the same ingredients, in different quantities: eggs, mayo, olive oil, honey, etc. NONE of the various concotions did anything noticeably beneficial to my hair BUT most of them smelled bad and made a great mess in the process. Some of them made my hair smell bad, others made it crunchy. Forget it, I am better off continuing my search for a store-bought deep conditioning mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by linuxgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I, too, am a Lauren of the internet, and wish to disagree with my similarly named comrade below! :P

My hair was being crap. So frizzed out and fussy, that being outside and not having an umbrella handy if it rained was enough to trigger a mini panic attack. No serum or spray could keep it looking nice and lock out humidity. What more did it want? I was using a very gentle shampoo, salon conditioner, and oiling generously with avocado oil. Then I chanced upon this treatment and it hit me all at once: P R O T E I N! How could I have let it slip under my nose like this?

First, I tried this concoction on already shampooed and clarified hair, and used a whole egg instead of just the yolk, following the rest of the directions. The results were stunning. Shine like you wouldn't believe, and my hair needed only a little coaxing with flat iron to get straight (we're talking 5 minutes as opposed to 15). It rained the morning after, and as usual I doused myself in hairspray till I was coughing. It stayed beautifully shiny and smooth all day!

However, applying this way made it drip monstrously, and was much messier. For the next wash, I tried the original recipe on unwashed hair. Much, much easier to apply, and less smelly. I didn't notice as dramatic a difference, but I guess that is to be expected since the first treatment already did so much work. My hair is now shiny, and full of the GOOD kind of volume.. the kind that makes people say 'Wow, her hair is so lush!' versus 'Jeeze, look at all that hair!'. It's more humidity resistant than ever.

Like other reviewers noted, my hair felt a bit dried out after I shampooed it. But a good deep moisture mask is the perfect follow up and sorts things out nicely. This is absolutely a must-try if your routine has been lacking in protein treatments!

EDIT: I must mention, that the second time I used the mask, I indeed had the crunchy feel to my hair. Deep conditioner sorted it out okay, but my hair was still just a little poofier and more strawlike than I would have liked. The first treatment was that powerful by itself!

It seems to me that whether you love it or hate it depends completely upon whether or not your hair needs the protein. At any rate, a deep conditioner after this is a MUST!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by Renvoy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Don't do it, it's not worth it.

Seriously.

Ugh, where do I start.. well.. I am a big fan of DIY natural remedies. So I looked around the internet for a mask that would help shine up my dull hair.(I am a natural brunette with thin kind of normalish hair)Found this and so I went into the kitchen and whipped up 2 eggs, with 2 tbsp of olive oil, and some water. Went into the bathroom and applied the mixture, and man did it make a mess! Possibly the messiest thing I have ever done to my hair! So I wrapped it up this way and that and covered it(and it still managed to ooze all over me) and man did I feel disgusting!
Anyway on to the rinse, after 30 minutes I decided I'd had enough and hopped in the shower. I had seen online when reading about this mask that you shouldn't rinse your hair with hot water because it might cook the egg while on your head.(FABULOUS) Well I wasn't going to take any chances so I decided to take a cold shower.(AHH) Well, cold or not, the water didn't seem to matter..the egg somehow managed to cook anyway. So then there were bundles of little egg bits tangled all in my hair. In fact my hair was a tangled mess, the most tangled it has ever been, and felt totally dry, brittle, and unhealthy.(Like I had just bleached my hair or something!) Needless to say this is where I started to hyperventilate.. freaked out and shampooed and conditioned thoroughly...er... a few times. Then I hopped out the shower totally destitute, my hair still felt like the most disgusting straw ever, and hair was breaking off everywhere. I was in tears. I decided at this point to suck it up and survey the damage, so i combed my hair out(which took almost 30 minutes because it was so tangled) sprayed on some heat protecting spray and went to town with the blow dryer...

Well, it turned out my hair isn't ruined. Maybe a bit dryer than it was before, but not utterly ruined as I feared. In fact, it actually did look better than before, more shiny... but not by much. Also my hair still feels rather straw-like, dry, and smells faintly of eggs.

In conclusion, I Lauren of the internet hereby solemnly pledge to NEVER use eggs on my hair again.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2013 9:47:00 AM More reviews by amandadee97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I've decided that eggs and my hair simply don't agree. I've tried this in many different combinations, with coconut oil, olive oil, honey, you name it. I always end up with greasy, stiff eggy smelling hair(this is after shampoo and conditioner) I have other natural masks that I use that work much better than this.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by chimpanzee

I wasn't impressed with this. I was kinda excited for it because its gotten such rave reviews, its cheap and natural (im very pro natural) but it didn't give me the results everyone is talking about. I have thin, fine, wavy textured medium-length hair that is slightly frizzy and dry. I combined two egg yolks with two tbsp. olive oil and a bit of water, heated it up a little, applied it all over damp hair and tied it up for half an hour. It didn't smell too bad honestly. I tried to thoroughly rinse my hair in cool water before shampooing and conditioning my hair but I ended up with cooked egg pieces in my hair anyways which wasn't very pleasant. I had to drench my hair in conditioner cause it made my hair so so tangled, and even then it was very difficult to comb. Once it dried my hair looked limp, slightly greasy and still a little frizzy. If anything I think it worsened the texture of my hair. Won't bother trying it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Hairisbeauty

This is really good! I just used it today, and I got great results. My usual black hair with brown highlights (natural) is usually uncontrollable. Now, its smooth, silky and shiny! I'm defiantly going to use this again. Right now, the leftovers is stored neatly in a plastic container in my basement refrigerator. You need
1-5 eggs
1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of water
Something to mix with
A plastic container
a microwave
Directions: Crack your egg(s) into your plastic container. Its optional to separate your yolks from you whites. I like to use all of my egg, so I don't waste. (make sure to crush you eggs, or mix them well. Last time, I had cooked egg pieces... They were white!)
2. Add 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to your mix.
3. Add one cup of water. Make sure you mix everything together thoroughly
4. Put your plastic container in the microwave. Microwave until its warm, not hot, or else you'll get cooked eggs that you can't eat.
5. Cap the cap on your plastic container.
6. Take a shower, don't bother on making your hair smell good... I guess you know why.
7. Dunk your hand in, and massage you head. Keep on doing that until your fully satisfied that the egg is covering your hair fully.
8. Apply a shower cap over it and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
9. Rinse it out.
10. Let it air dry or blow dry it.
11. Enjoy and feel the softness!
12. If there is some left, seal the top of your container and store it in a fridge or else youll have rotting egg. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hope this works for you... This worked for me. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Snosand

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

How I make mine:
2 Egg yolks
2 tablespoons of Avocado oil
1 Cup of water

Mixture will work for medium thick hair with length above bra strap. If longer or thicker you may need to adjust the amounts. Double everything, if that is too much next time subtract by 1.

Use an easy pour container. Beat eggs, add oil mix well then add water mixing well. Have old towel handy. Place head over sink (hair is dry), slowly pour mixture near scalp. Work mixture into scalp and add to another section. Repeat until scalp is covered. Now pour remaining mixture through rest of hair. You may need to lightly ring out your hair to prevent lots of dripping. Wrap hair in towel and leave on for at least 15 minutes but 30 is best. Shampoo and condition as normal.

I've tried lots of different homemade recipes for my hair. Nothing has ever worked as great as this one. It leaves my hair soft and shiny. As a bonus the eggs help hair grow stronger, conditions the hair to help with breakage, helps prevent hair loss and helps maintain a healthy scalp.

The oil used can penetrate the hair shaft adding moisture. The nutrients in avocado oil promotes healthy cell growth.

The water helps for a easier rinse out to makes everything easy to distribute.

I'm very pleased with this treatment and I use it once a week. It is cost effective and after just 5 treatments I can see a difference in my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

*Update: The day after reviewing this I did another mask. I made it this time with one egg (including the white) and 2tsp of honey instead of 1tbsp. It worked just as well, actually better I think - easier to spread and stayed wet in my hair longer. At this point it was possibly overkill, but although my hair needs moisture right now I feel like it also still needed a bit more protein just to be sure the strands had strength. From now on I'll likely make it this way, playing with the amount of honey, using it on an as-needed basis.

The majority of recipes listed in reviews here and in blogs contain egg yolk, oil(s) of some kind, yogurt, and/or honey. Many will list this as a moisturizing mask. My review is for a paired down version and before I continue on I must clarify that ALL of these masks (regardless of the ingredients that are added with the egg) are PROTEIN masks. Adding other moisturizing ingredients simply helps to minimize the straw-like result that straight protein can cause. Please TEST YOUR HAIR to see if it is in need of protein. In my case, signs of protein deficiency are lots of frizziness along with hair still being shiny (both when wet and when dry, but very noticeable when wet and scrunching); hair has a hard time holding onto moisture and can start feeling dry at the ends/lengths the longer I go without washing it; it will not hold its natural curl properly; hair will be too soft and mushy in the shower; and if I take a few shed strands (or ones still attached to my head - no more than 3 strands) and stretch them, they will stretch and stretch and then snap or remain at that stretched out length - balanced hair will return to its original length. So if your hair sounds like it's in need of some protein, this is worth trying out.

Recipe:
As stated above, most recipes contain egg yolk, oil, honey, and/or yogurt. I cowash my hair (wash with conditioner) and am trying to minimize clarifying to no more than once a month, while I know that I could need protein treatments more often. cowashing alone will not remove the oil without likely leaving residue behind, so I decided to make my recipe very clean:
* 2 egg yolks
* 1tbsp of raw honey
Both of these ingredients wash out in water alone, meaning this is a mask I can use even on days I do not wash my hair. The egg acts as the protein component while the honey acts as a humectant, which helps to draw moisture into the hair. Of the excluded ingredients, oil will mostly act as a moisture sealant and softener to the hair (an oil like coconut would have the easiest time absorbing into the hair, and coconut oil is a great choice if you are very much in need of protein as it can help the hair keep protein within the strands as opposed to simply coating the hair to prevent water evaporation) while yogurt will provide very mild protein and some softening to the hair.
Eliminating the oil and yogurt from the mixture leaves the mask runny and sticky in the hair. It also definitely smells pretty gross because of the eggs, but it doesn't linger in the hair (perhaps try some essential oils if the smell is too strong, although I'm not sure how those scents would mix together).

Performance:
Again, to clarify, my hair was in very dire need of protein. I've concluded that I have low to normal porosity hair. But because my strands are mostly fine to medium, they can easily become overmoisturized and thus lack protein. This results in high porosity symptoms, mostly hair that dries faster and hair that doesn't hold onto moisture. So I decided to whip some of this mask up, and applied it to my hair from scalp to tip. It's not going to comb through the hair so sectioning hair will make it easier to apply evenly (which I will do next time!). After applying, baggy or wrap the hair in some saran wrap or an actual plasticy hair cap, then put a towel on over that to help add warmth to the hair so that everything absorbs better into the hair (if you do not have lower porosity hair you may not need to do this). I let mine sit on my hair for an hour because of how much protein my hair was needing, and then rinsed it out in the shower and followed up with conditioner. I did use warm/almost hot water and had no "cooking" issues. I've used straight egg as a mask before and rinsed with hot water and have never had that issue. Applied some conditioner as a leave-in after scrunching with a tshirt. My hair took much longer to fully dry, it felt much much stronger in the shower, but it also felt a bit tangly. When tshirt-drying it I saw that there was almost no frizz like there was my last wash but my hair did not spiral curl. I do know that my hair has some build-up though so that is likely affecting the curl and weight of my hair, and I probably just need some more protein treatments.

Bang for your Buck:
Regardless of what you decide to put into your mask, it's a very price-friendly DIY regardless of how often it's used.

Final Consensus:
Cowashing has taught me that it takes work to get hair to be balanced and to look its best and perform its best. My version of this mask is a great way to add protein when my hair needs it and is definitely something that I will be using as-needed. But ONLY for protein purposes. I'll likely try for a bi-weekly to monthly use once my hair is more balanced, although weekly would be fine.
* Overall Rating: 5/5
* Price: 1/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5 (not really applicable here though)
* Repurchase: Yes

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 6:22:00 PM More reviews by tillis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this hair mask after reading so many awesome reviews, but I was a tiny bit disappointed. Still, overall I was impressed - I think I was just hoping for too much. My hair does feel a bit healthier than it did before using this.

To start with, my hair is just a couple inches above waist-length in the back, and thicker than thick. To give you an idea, I've had so many hairdressers pick up less than a quarter of my hair and tell me, "You've got more hair right here than most people have on their entire head." I actually had to use five times the recipe - I tripled it to begin with but it was definitely not enough. I've dyed my hair maybe five times in the past few years, straighten it once or twice a week and am way overdue on a trim, so I did have a bit of damage.

It did feel disgusting during the application, but I didn't notice much of a smell. I applied, covered my hair and let it sit for about forty-five minutes. It did take a few minutes to rinse out before shampooing, and even though I'd brushed it before applying the egg bomb, it was the most knotted mess it's ever been while trying to shampoo and condition. After air-drying it was still pretty oily, so I washed and conditioned again and that fixed it.

Now that it's all dry and clean, I do notice a bit of difference. It does seem a bit healthier overall, and somehow my ends look and feel fuller. Aside from that I don't notice much difference in the overall feel or texture of my hair, but I suppose it wasn't too bad to start with and the egg bomb did essentially what it was supposed to. My hair feels stronger.