August 28, 2014 | 1384 users online

Cleansers - Authentic African Black Soap-Product of West Africa

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by predhead33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was really excited to try out my black soap, having read some good reviews about it. I couldn't believe how cheap it was and how it was supposedly some miracle product! I should have known that if it sounded too good to be true, it probably was. At first I thought it was really going to work well. It made my skin feel very soft even before applying moisturizer, and it lathered very nicely. However, after about a week my face looked and felt like an oil slick, which is very out of character for me, I only have a few slightly oily spots on my face. The oil was quickly followed by several stubborn pimples that took me another week and a half to get rid of. It might work well for some people, and they should consider themselves lucky, but it is not the product for me! I guess my skin needs something with a little more oomph in it!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/17/2011 7:52:00 AM More reviews by lilmi

Firstly, I am using genuine pure organic African black soap. The kind that's earthy in colour and texture etc

My skin-type is olive, combination [some dry patches, some slightly more oily patches] I do frequently get small spots on my face and have some uneven skin-tone issues. All which black soap claims to help.

The soap itself lathers well but I find I have to cut it into small chunks to use it since it virtually melts under water and goes gooey pretty quickly when it's wet. I used the soap on my face. After washing your skin feels pretty tight and dry so it's a good idea to moisturise straight away. Apparantly black soap can be more effective when combined with pure shea butter as an after-treatment. So I moisturise with organic shea butter, not a lot just enough to balance my skin out.

Have I noticed a huge difference? No. It's relatively cheap, I paid about 4.50 for a bar.

UPDATE: I tried sticking with this to see if my skin just needed to get used to it and it hasn't improved my skin at all. It's made it worse. It's very drying and something about it just feels too harsh, don't let it anywhere near your eyes or it will really sting. Think I should have known better to wash my face with 'soap' & believe all the hype. I don't even want to use it on my body, wont repurchase and wouldn't reccommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by besidetheocean

I love natural and organic beauty products, and after reading all the great reviews of African black soap I had to try it. I ordered mine from Ebay seller natureandherbs because it was listed as "handmade in Ghana West Africa". It was delivered on a 90-degree day when I was out of town, so when I opened up the plastic tub the texture was very mushy. From what I read about it, it's supposed to be a solid chunk of soap. It's still mushy even after being in the air conditioning, but I actually like it that way. It makes it very easy to scoop out and apply. I only use a dime-sized amount for my face and that is plenty. It lathers very well and I absolutely love the smell. It's hard to describe, but it's exactly what you would think natural soap should smell like. After rinsing, my skin was a little tight and stung the tiniest bit, but it was not uncomfortable. I'll have to wait and see if it helps with breakouts and acne scarring, but so far I like it a lot. I plan to start using it as shampoo also, and will update when I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 2:47:00 PM More reviews by wbwilliams1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have Makeup Alley to thank for introducing me to African Black Soap. The stuff I bought is from Ghana and contains shea butter. It came in a one pound brick that looks like a half-circle, and was super cheap to purchase. The soap itself looks scary, but it smells pleasant enough. I took the soap out of its plastic wrap and cut off a small corner to use. I placed the remainder of the soap in an airtight ziplock bag. The small corner I cut off I keep in my shower in a small tupperware with the lid. I lather the soap up in my hands and then rub my face in circular motion with the lather. It's gentle enough to even remove my eyemakeup without stinging or burning my eyes. The soap leaves my face squeaky clean. I follow up with a couple drops of jojoba oil to restore moisture post-cleansing with this wonderful all-natural soap.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by wonderblue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This lathers up really well, when I wash it off it feels as though there is some residue on my face (there isn't I've wiped it with cotton wool - it just feels that way) but when my face has dried my skin feels soft and isn't stripped!!
Is this a miracle acne cure? Well honestly I haven't found it to be, but it leaves my skin clean, smooth and soft so I still like it.
I cut my bar into small chunks to use and it lasts for ages - seriously one bar is going to last me for many many months.
Will definately repurchase, it's a excellant and simple cleanser :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by llamadu

I've been using this soap for about a month and my skin has been doing well. Actually, my whole family has been using this soap, me, my baby, baby's dad, the dog even. We use this to wash faces, bodies and hands/paws :)

At first when I started using the soap my skin seemed to be getting a little dry around my blemishes, then as they cleared up this was no longer a problem and my skin looked great.

I follow up with a good moisturizer, usually almond oil or raw shea butter, on both face and body.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Ehrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Background Info: African Black Soap is made out of the ashes from burned cocoa bean pods and plantain peels and then palm oil and shea butter are added to the ashes. This process is time consuming and requires much attention. It is hand stirred for a full day and then set to cure for 14 days. There are no chemicals added and no lye. The soap was originally made to wash new born babies.

This stuff is AMAZING! Before buying it, I made sure that I did all of my research because I didn't want to end up with a bad quality soap. I needed a cleanser because the honey-sugar scrub I made was all that I was really using on my face and well, over-exfoliation just leads to more oil production. I've read reviews on many cleansers but, when I checked them into EWG's website, they had TOO many chemicals to count. I also have sensitive skin and slight eczema (allergic to fragrances--including essential oils) so, I needed something as natural as possible. And I must say, there is NO cleanser out there that is more natural than African Black Soap. This stuff cleans EVERYTHING off, it evens your skin tone, removes makeup, clears acne, reduces oil production..it even cleared the cystic acne bumps on my friend's nose! My skin glows now, there is no dead skin anywhere and there is no need for exfoliation anymore. I have only used this for 2 weeks and I'm never using anything other than this on my skin. I can't wait for my Dove soap to be done and over with so I can make the transition to this as my regular multi-purpose soap. The chunk of soap I bought was from an African store for $5 (CAD) and this stuff does NOT melt. All you do is wet your face, wet your hands, take a small piece of soap and lather away. Rub the lather all over and rinse off. Like I said, the size of that piece you were using will look untouched. It doesn't melt. A chunk will last you a while.

Real African Black Soap is solid. If it is liquified, it is because certain ingredients were added to it (so, you may want to find out what those are before buying it). The chunk I bought looked like it was literally chiseled off a huge block of the stuff and it was plastic wrapped. Because of the amount of natural glycerin in the soap, it absorbs moisture from the air so, whatever is not being used should be stored in a Ziplock bag. I personally liquified mine because I have drier skin and I needed to add some moisture to it. I added: glycerin, jojoba oil and hot water to a chunk of it and made a cleanser out of it. I still have 2/3 of the bar left and I'm sure this stuff will last me a year.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 1:36:00 AM More reviews by gate403

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

African black soap is amazing. It really did a number on my acne. I'm a skincare junkie and this is my cleanser of choice for my face and body. I have oily, acne-prone skin and I noticed a difference after the first time I washed with it. The price is simply great because a little goes a long way. Add to that the fact that it's all natural and includes several skin nourishing ingredients, and you have a home run! Definitely try a few different brands to see which one works best on you. The quality really varies between soap companies. Aim for an authentic, heterogeneous looking bar and not something that looks uniform in color and dyed black. My favorite bar is from Ra Cosmetics.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by carolmelapple

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I LOVE this soap bar. I use it as my facial cleanser. At first, it really felt like my skin was suppperrr dry and ripped of all natural oil and moisture. I hated it at first. But after a while, I figured out it felt tight and dry because it was just expelling out all the chemical cleanser that I used before. Now, it doesn't feel like that at all. It's all natural ingredients and super soft and convenient because it's such a quick bar soap kind of thing.

The best part is it's only like 3-5$!!

I bar of soap lasts FOREVER. I just cut the bar into 4 quarters and put one piece in a small tupperware container and get it wet so it turns somewhat soft. From there I just use a small amount everyday and night. Love it :]

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2009 7:43:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this just as much as a I do for Dr. Bronner's soaps. It lathers well, cleans my skin without overly stripping, and takes care of breakouts on my back and chest. It leaves my skin soft, but I still follow up with lotion to seal moisture in. It might be harsh for those with sensitive skin on their body, so use a little bit at first to see how you react. My skin looks noticeably brighter too which is a plus. Will continue to buy.