Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen

4.1

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 15% Ingredients: Mica (CI 77019), Montmorillonite, Boron Nitride, Isopropyl Jojobate, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

on 6/18/2012 6:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this spf powder, very protective for my light skin. I use it on a very oily cream, as a primer, and I add a very light layer of mineral make up (sheer miracles or meow cosmetics);
However I have critics : the lighter color is too light, the darker is too orange, so I used to mix both before the new medium shade went on.
And I do not like the packaging : the sponge may be nice for body, but for the face it is too big. So I open the jar, put a small quantity in a bowl and apply the power either with Jane Iredale's flocked sponge or with a synthetic kabuki (Eminence powder brush is nice too) - I could wear it alone, it is nice, but when I want to be more sophisticated I add some mineral make up. I have already bought several jars of this powder, and will do it again. very reliable for the sun protection.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

i had been looking for a sunscreen that wouldnt cause irritation or acne for ages, and read many reviews on various websites saying this stuff was good.
the jar this product comes in has a little application sponge attached to it, that seems really gross and unhygienic to me, so i used a make up brush to apply instead.

this sunscreen is GREAT at protecting my skin against the sun, my skin tone has really evened out since i started using it, but thats the only real positive. i bought the tinted version which works very well with my yellow-based skin tone, although it would probably make a lot of pale people look orange. it works like a light foundation and my skin looks improved when im wearing it. however, it causes terrible irritation on my cheeks. i dont pick my cheeks, but every time i use this stuff i end up with little scabs/grazes on my face that dont heal. once i give my face a break from the sunscreen for a week or so everything heals okay (i do have some scarring on my cheeks that have always been clear up until now :( ) and as soon as i start with the sunscreen again, more grazes/scabs develop.
i am waiting to try ellaroseminerals foundations from etsy as they contain sunscreen ingredients and claim their products are non comedogenic, so im hoping their products work for me, because this doesnt sadly.

on 6/23/2010 6:31:00 PM

This product changed my life! I was very skeptical of the idea of a powder sunscreen. This provides great SPF protection (its SPF 30 protection is TESTED, and it's recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation). And it contains a physical sunscreen (no chemical ones), which was my primary reason for trying it. I've put this over my bare moisturized face and over makeup. It's great to be able to reapply a sunscreen over makeup throughout the day as you need it. I use this on my neck and chest as well. I've applied it over mineral makeup and liquid, and it looks great. I'm fair, so I have it in Translucent. It also comes in Tanned, which might be good for medium to darker skins. Don't give up on this because of the container. It's very hard to tell if the powder is on your face without putting on a ton. (Because the powder is so fine. Here's what I did: I applied it over a dark piece of paper, and sure enough I could see the powder coming out. It can create a tiny cloud of vapor when you open the container, but that's not a big deal to me. It's not like I'm inhaling this stuff. It's definitely worth trying.

on 6/6/2010 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Returned it. I love the powder mineral SPF concept, was excited to try Jane Iredales version, but it's the packaging/applicator. It was impossible to get the powder through the sponge, had to remove it to see if it was clogged - it wasn't. I prefer the brush application like some of the other brands have. Sad, especially since this is one of the few powder SPFs approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation (which is why I gave it an extra star).

on 6/4/2010 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this sunscreen to use over my normal sunscreen so I would get maximum protection.
I have oily skin so I don't like to put alot of sunscreen on my face because of the heavy and greasy feeling the give. So I got this so I could use a small amount of my normal sunscreen and then use this as an powder to boost my normal sunscreen so I would get a spf 30.
As with the JI pressed base this makes me oily, much faster than normal. I can't understand why. The Mica, Titaniumdioxide and Boron Nitride all absorbs oily but not on my face.
Also the sponge is terrible, I would never use it on my oily face, it would get so oily and dirty and bacteria would start to grow in it and give me acne.
I'm a bit careful using this, first times using it I got some small breakouts, nothing bad, but since I'm abit acne-prone I'm careful.
I do use it, for most parts only around my eyes to prevent wrinkles. Sometimes I use it after work when I'm in a hurry to get sunprotection insted of washing my face and putting on my normal sunscreen.
I got it in transparent and I don't think it is all that transparent. On my face it does give some coverage but now that summer is comming, I feel that it makes me abit ashy looking.

on 5/22/2010 3:29:00 PM

So far so good with this - although I haven't been using it long enough to be sure it doesn't cause breakouts. I am nearly 60 but still have very acne-prone skin, and that is my main concern when choosing any product for my face. The one thing I don't like about this product is the applicator - I can't tell how much or how evenly it is being dispensed - and unlike another reviewer, I really can't see it on my face. I have been opening the container, pouring some powder into the plastic inner cover, and using a brush to apply it.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

BOOOOOOOOOO. this stuff sucked. it broke me out, turned me red, and everytime you try to put it on the powder gets all in the air and i start coughing. i dont know WHAT is in this stuff. there are only about 7 or so ingredients...i think its the mica. i dont know but i will never try this again!

on 4/25/2010 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So, I walk outside ALOT (hours a day several days a week on average). And I have melasma, which is getting worse every summer. I could not get myself to reapply the heavy, physical sunscreen I was using. I thought a powder sunscreen would be great.
First tried the Peter Thomas Roth. Made brown spots on my face worse. (BTW:if you have melasma, salycylic may make it worse- Roth brand uses willow bark, which is the natural source of salycylic acid. It's an acid, which can make you MORE susceptible to sun. GO figure.)
Anyway, thought price for the "Powder me" very high. But last year bought it in "Tan." First of all, it is quite dark AND orange-y. At least on me. But the "translucent" is too light. Ghost-like.
I had to put the powder in a smaller container to take on my walks. Original packaging way too big and awkward.
I did reapply the powder during my walks, but found that I had orange blotches when i got home. Not attractive. I also found myself wiping off much of what I initially applied in an attempt to blend it in to my skin.
The protection thus ended up being minimal, and the melasma worsened. So I stopped bothering with the Jane Iredale.
Now it's 2010, and summer is near. The melasma is darkening. So I had a *great* idea: bought the "translucent," mixed w/ "Tan," to a color that I find acceptable, and yahoo! I have a sunscreen powder that I can use!! Color actually pretty decent, I reapply regularly, and now even use it as a cover up sometimes in the evening. Not bad!
BUT, I still start my day with heavy-duty UV Naturals Sunblock as a base. I use the powder as add'l protection that i can reapply. It does not provide adequate protection for melasma by itself.
Even w/reapplication, (usually 1-2x in a 3 hour walk), I still find melasma darkening. But I'm not getting sunburned, which says alot, as I use Retin A .1%, and thus burn quickly and easily.
For the average person, this stuff would probably work just fine, even on it's own.
And I really like my new blend!
It makes me stuffed up when first applied, (and I try not to breathe it in), and it irritates my eyes if applied too near them. Generally clears up shortly after.
The packaging really does suck, and the price is pretty high. BUT until something better comes along, I will repurchase.
It also lasts quite a while.
4/16/11 UPDATE: I hardly use this stuff now. 1) I'm afraid of inhaling it- nano-particles = bad for the health! 2) My eyes often feel irritated after applying this (took me a while to make the connection) 3) I often find my pores clogged the day after using this (I do apply over a physical sunblock, but that's necessary b/c this alone does NOT provide adequate protection).
I use this sometimes as a cover up make-up, as it's less irritating/acnegenic than most other powders I've tried, and b/c it's already in my medicine cabinet. I will probably use on the really sunny days this summer, but I would probably not recommend in general.

on 4/22/2010 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have very fair skin, and this translucent sunscreen works really well for my oily, super-sensitive rosacea face. The product packaging LOOKED like a good idea (sunscreen drops from the main jar through a small hole onto the dispenser pad), but it can't easily be cleaned. So, I took off the dispenser pad, put the mineral sunscreen into an old (cleaned) mineral makeup dispenser, and now I use a makeup brush to apply it to my face. It maintains a relatively matte, non-oily finish on my face, it works extremely well as a sunscreen, and it has not caused any flare-ups in my rosacea. I am very happy with this product and will buy more when I run out (although a little seems to go a long way) even though it is expensive.

Update - something in this product started to cause problems with my rosacea, and I had to discontinue using it. I think this would be fine for most people, though.

on 4/7/2010 12:18:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've tried a few powder sunscreens, such as Bare Minerals, Peter Roth Thomas, and this. There are many advantages to powder sunscreens and people choose to use them for their own reason- and even though they are expensive, I think it is worth it most of the time. You can put it on easily w/o having to worry about using a cream sunscreen will mess up your makeup. This one has SPF 30, with titanium oxide being the only active ingredient (so no chemical sunscreen, only physical). Unlike the other brands, the powder of this one is easy to dispense, which is prob. the most important thing when using a powder sunscreen because how can you even use it if the powder in the bottle just doesn't come out? This one works well.
However, I tried the "Tanned" color and it is just too dak. I wouldn't use it on my face. It is this brown-orange color that is several shades darker than my own skin. It is a bit shimmering which is helpful for you to see whether you got it on. I will use it only on my body for now. And $44 for a body sunscreen does seem too expensive, unfortunately. Maybe will try the transluscent color next time.

Top Rated Jane Iredale Products