November 22, 2014 | 860 users online

Bronzers - TheBalm - Bahama Mama

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2014 10:24:00 PM More reviews by aliciabanwell

This is a beautiful bronzer! Very pigmented, matte and long wearing. I wore it a few times and decided it was too dark for my NW20 skin so I gave it to someone with NW30 and it works great! It's easy to blend and the packaging, like everything from theBalm is adorable!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 6:32:00 AM More reviews by chingaling

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Honestly I was simply lured in by the pretty packaging (I am a sucker for pretty packaging) though the price was a little outside my comfort range (I think I bought it for RM65 which is about $20) but I do not regret this purchase at all! Feels smooth on the skin, has a matte finish, and does not break me out or cause any irritation (I have fairly sensitive skin). I have yet to try other bronzers simply because I don't feel the need to. I am just in love with the brand! One minor thing I noticed though, was that the powder tends to get on the sides of the compact (as it's quite powdery) so I have to wipe it off every once in a while. I suggest using a very light hand with this product- no need to apply tons of pressure to get a lot of product on your brush. I am very tempted to purchase their other products.. we shall see..

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2014 12:50:00 PM More reviews by vivthai

This bronzer is soooo good. It does have slight warmth to it but it is great as a contour bronzer.The packaging is an A+. The first time applying I used a light hand and it went on perfectly so don't be intimidated from the dark color. I love how I can use this as an eyeshadow and contour basically anywhere!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 3:21:00 AM More reviews by hlrk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Main reason i bought this is it was recommended for golden skin - does not have hardly any pink tones in it!!
I really do not like the packaging - the mirror isn't even worth it.... and i dislike the flip lid which is then inside the cardboard slip.... wish it was a compact style.
The more important matter - the product! Greatttttt colouring for golden skin!! It is my winter bronzer - bit of colour to my cheeks. Not too dark. No shimmer in it but thats ok.
You can layer this product up to be darker which is good!
Can be slightly blotchy on top of foundation - be careful there.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 7:49:00 PM More reviews by aijaraza

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Been on d hunt for a good contouring powder for months when I chanced upon this one. I like that it's a pure brown with no orange tones. My face us triangle shaped, narrow at the forehead and wide at the jaws. I would contour my entire lower face from the cheeks down to the jawline and I love that this powder applies well and stays on the entire day. I would trace my face with the powder using an eyeshadow brush, fill in using a slanted blush brush, then blend well using a stippling brush so the harsh lines will not be noticeable. Blending is key. Then I would just apply my blush on the apple of my cheeks making sure the blush blends well into the contouring powder. Hope this tip helps. Would definitely buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Marebear2013

CAUSES BREAKOUTS! I love the packaging & even the product itself. However, without fail, every time this touches my skin, I breakout. It's a bummer. I tried convincing myself it was something else so I let me skin clear up a bit then reached for this again & BOOM...breakouts. If you're not prone to breakouts give it a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2014 3:10:00 PM More reviews by darthodis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

The thing about this bronzer is that it doesn't actually make you look bronzed/suntanned like a typical bronzer is supposed to. It makes you look like you have a darker skin tone, not like a I just-came-back-from-a-holiday-in-the-sun-tan. It's perfect for contouring. It's a matte, almost a grey-ish brown. I really enjoy this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2014 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Mimaq

I purchased this particular product because I wanted a contouring powder that was cool toned. I have a light to medium skin tone and this powder looks amazing when I contour my face especially the nose area. It is velvety and kind of creamy which is amazing. this product lasts all day and looks gorgeous when used heavily and then buffed out.
but recently for some reason this powder tended to look kind of grey-ish in the hallows of my cheeks. I am guessing that this happened due to me using a wrong foundation shade. other than that it looks absolutely beautiful on medium skintones =)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2014 9:32:00 AM More reviews by Lefox92

Love this bronzer! I use it for a contour and once blended out properly it gives the best natural results. It has no sparkle in it, which I love cos it makes it perfect for some subtle contouring. The packaging is super cute and the powder actually lasts for ages.
Be warned all the really pale girls. This product is VERY BROWN- and this is coming from a girl with medium-tan, pancake coloured skin. Be prepared to blend blend blend!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 10:30:00 AM More reviews by babysinclair24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product on Amazon last year because I wanted to try contouring and this product came highly recommended for that purpose.

When it comes to price, this is a mid-range product. It retails for $20, but I was able to get a better deal on Amazon..maybe $14 or $15? In my opinion it's a reasonable price for face makeup, an area where I normally am willing to splurge for flawless results. There's a lot of product in there, especially when I take into account how little product it takes to get the results that I want.

The packaging is one of my favorites - the cover has a kitschy illustration of a vintage (white) "hula girl" on a beach. It's a compact. I want to say the outer material is closer to a thick paper than a hard plastic, but it definitely doesn't feel cheap. The compact flips open like a book, and stays closed with a hidden magnet. It's flat so it sits nicely in my makeup bag with my other products. It does have a mirror although I've never had to use it.

This bronzer is a matte powder, and a little goes a long way. I have to be extra careful to apply it as lightly as possible in order to build to the look that I want. It's very easy to go overboard with this product, and it's not the easiest to blend out because it's so densely pigmented.

I have warm-to-neutral olive skin. As I mentioned, I originally bought this for contouring purposes. I never tried contouring before, and after a lot of experimentation, I decided that I only like a light contouring under my cheekbones. For me, the color is way too dark for contouring, even when I have a tan and my complexion is firmly in the "medium" range.

Still, this product has its uses. I held onto it rather than tossing it because I love the packaging so much. I brought it with me on vacation in Jamaica a couple of months ago and used it, with a very light hand, like I would any other bronzer - along the sides of my face, creeping up toward my forehead, a dab on my chin, and across the bridge of my nose. I would wear just this and Nars Orgasm blush over my BB cream - nothing else, not even mascara - and I felt like a sexy mermaid. I'm definitely going to be pulling it out again over the summer, when I wanna look extra beachy.

Because I use it lightly for specific purposes, I don't see myself finishing the compact for a long time. But ok, lets say I lost it today. I probably wouldn't rebuy it only because I also have the Bobbi Brown bronzing powder, which I use regularly. It's not as dark as Bahama Mama, but because it's easily buildable, I could achieve similar results without having to be quite so careful about it. Maybe if I had an unlimited budget, it would have a special place in my summer makeup kit, but I don't, so...

If we are strictly talking about formula and results, I would give this product a 3. The results are good now that I know how to use it to achieve a look that I love, but the application process is a challenge. I'm bumping it up to an overall score of a 4 because I love the packaging so much.