L'Occitane 20% Shea Butter Soap

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm not really a soap bar fan, I prefer shower gels/creams. But I just can't help myself when I see and smell the lovely old fashionned soaps at L'Occitane. It gives me that nostalgic feeling of my grandmothers bathroom, always smelling "soapy" and I loved the way she prepared my baths when I was a little girl. :)
This soap is really nice and gives good moisture, but as I always have with soap bars, it leaves my skin a bit parched after drying. I use a good body cream to cover this feeling. I will still continue to use up this bar as I love how it feels on my skin and I'm addicted to the scent!

on 5/5/2011 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this yesterday as a mother's day present to myself to justify spending NZ$19 on a big bar of soap as I was hanging out to try it. I purchased the lavender bar as I loved the smell and was hoping it would fragrance my skin also and help me sleep a little better (I'm 7 months pregnant and sleep isn't coming easily anymore) . I was disappointed that the smell did not linger at all. It built up a nice lather and didn't completely strip my skin nor did it leave a film. The bar will last for a long time but it is very difficult to wield at the moment unless you have massive man hands! Not going to repuchase.

This soap is the only bath soap we buy at home. My husband who doesn't use any moisturizer uses this soap for his showers and this is the only one that doesn't cause itchy dryness. It lathers wonderfully and although the price is on the higher side ($10/8.8oz) the bar lasts quite a bit and works wonderfully.

on 2/28/2011 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

$10/8.8 oz. Not too bad. I got the lavender scented bar and love it. The lathers are very creamy and dense. It doesn't leave my skin drying at all.

on 6/2/2010 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Such a lovely soap. It is not harsh on the skin, and I do not feel it strips my first layer of my skin like some commercial soaps do. I like the scent as well, very mild and traditional. I have decided to switch to soaps from gels completely because they travel better, last longer, and usually do not contain SLS. I got the 100g bar for 3 Euros in France, and it is worth it since it will last awhile. I can't imagine how long the 250 would last me since a little daily soap can go a long way. Recommended for drier skin types for those who want to use traditional bar soaps.

on 1/19/2010 8:29:00 PM

I love this soap! I always buy the big honking bar, for $10.00 it's a way better value than it's smaller counterpart. I love the smell, oh the smell!! It's wonderful. I love how it foams and lathers, it's so luxurious! It cleans my body perfectly without stripping. I'm on my 20th (or something close to it) bar, and a bar lasts for ever!! I never let myself run out because other soaps just don't measure up!

on 10/24/2009 12:24:00 PM

This is a wonderful soap. I started with the Mistral Shea Butter Soaps but I tired of the fragrances they had. I wanted something completely neutral. This L'Occitane soap seems to be just about the same as the Mistral soaps in its cleansing and moisturizing properties, but there is little scent to bother me.

I've used many bars of this. It lasts about 5 weeks with daily heavy use. I could even use it on my sensitive, dryness prone legs.

I've since switched to using Kiss My Face Unscented Moisture Shave for my legs, but my L'Occitane remains in the shower for body use.

Highly recommend.

on 5/4/2009 5:00:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

Let me start by saying that I have very dry, sensitive body skin. My face is combination, to the dry side, also sensitive, with an occasional every other month minor break out (a pimple or so) but clog prone.

This is a very gentle bar of soap. I used it on my body, the scent while in the shower was very "soapy" then it disappeared completely. Left my skin more moisturised than the average shower gel. Was just ok.

Then I decided I could try it on my face (since it is marketed as a face bar also), after the cleansing oil I use (MAC or L'occitane or mix of olive and castor oil). For the first 3 days it was all good. But afterwards it clogged my face and gave me breakouts!!!!! Never again.

Just think twice before you decide to use it on your face.

on 3/8/2009 4:35:00 AM

For years, I used Shea soaps before switching to Philosophy. Recently, I opened a Cinnamon Orange Shea Soap that I had saved. It smells wonderfully and is very soft and gentle on my skin! It's appealing because it doesn't contain numerous mystery chemicals that nobody knows the origins of. Most other body washes need a pronounciation guide to assist decoding the ingredients list.

Even though I like and have enjoyed the many shea soaps I've tried, I won't purchase another because the $7 price tag for the small size bar is ridiculous! Also, unlike the 3-in-1s I use, the shea soap makes my tub slippery, making me paranoid I'm going to slip and bonk my head!
L'occitane has many great products, I love. Others are worth the price.

continued >>

on 2/2/2009 10:05:00 PM

It's so so. I don't thik it so good but it smells ok. With this smell, it waste of money