October 20, 2014 | 1662 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Garnier - 2-in-1 Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 5:32:00 AM More reviews by lancherie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Profile:
I have dry skin but being asian with hooded eyelids my eyes get VERY VERY VERY oily. This had led to me buying only waterproof mascaras, normal mascaras melt off in no time, European/American brand waterproof mascaras don't do much for me so I only go for asian slightly high end brands. I have been using Fairy Drops mascara for a very long time, it's the most waterproof mascara I have ever used (still manages to smudge a bit on me) and requires a very good eye makeup remover to remove and unfortunately this doesn't do the trick :(

Why I bought this:
I was first drawn to this product due to it's price (I'm from NZ), very cheap for an enormous bottle. I can only use the oil/water ones like these where you have two products inside which you shake up as they're usually oilier so do a much better job at removing.

Review:
This product doesn't remove all of my fairy drops mascara, it leaves some there which smudges onto my lower eyelid so doesn't make me feel like I have clean eyelashes after I use it. I have to use quite a lot and over a few cotton pads to remove my mascara quickly however, this eye makeup remover is great for any eyeshadow. Unfortunately I won't buy this again because I know better removers but unfortunately not for any cheaper than this one. I recommend it to anyone using non waterproof mascaras or European/American brand waterproof mascaras that aren't notorious for being waterproof like Fairydrops is. Cheap and great for anyone but unfortunately not me! :(

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2014 10:00:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been repurchasing Maybelline's Total Clean makeup remover for a few years now but the small 70ml bottle runs out quite quickly so I decided to pick this up instead, and so far so good!

This is a dual-phase liquid so you need to shake it up well beforehand. It costs $9.99 AUD for a large 200ml bottle compared to $6.95 for Maybelline's 70ml, so this is definitely much more cost efficient. But does it remove waterproof mascara? Yes, but with a touch more product needed than Maybelline's. Is it still worth it then? Yes, because you get so much more product! The only annoying thing I've found is the packaging. When you turn it upside down to apply it on to a cotton pad, it just squirts out quickly sideways so I have to rest a cotton pad on the hole while turning it over to stop that. (Hope that makes sense)

Overall, a great waterproof makeup remover that is cheap for the large amount you get so I will overlook the issue I have with the packaging. I would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by triplejjj

I have been using this makeup remover for almost a year and a half and I am in love with it ! I am picky when it comes to make up removers because I feel I need a really good one. This one removes my makeup effectively whilst also being gentle on my skin. The best thing about it is that it is really cheap for the amount of product that you get. I use to use makeup wipes but I didn't feel as though they were effective at removing makeup completely. So i recommend using a liquid/bottle makeup remover always, especially this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2013 7:37:00 AM More reviews by Kittenwhiskas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a basic and gentle make up remover which does the job and isn't too oily (compared to many others). I like that it doesn't contain irritants such as alcohol and fragrance, and its well priced. The biggest issue with this is the packaging, sometimes the bottle tends to squirt too much product out, but once you get used how to control the flow, your fine.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by watercute

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Really love this for taking off all makeup really simple doesn't sting my eyes and does what it says on the bottle. Much better than any expensive ones I've tried. Already bought about 5 times.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2013 7:47:00 AM More reviews by coconuty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

love it! removes even waterproof mascara. price is a big bonus. packing is annoying.
when traveling- shake it well and pour some into a traveling plastic bottle.
how i use it- wet 2 facial cotton pads (untill it's really soaked), apply on your eyes and lashes, wait 1 min and gently remove it all off, avoid scrubbing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Tam94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My second bottle of this stuff, it lasts a very long time. Love the whole idea of it having oils in the product, makes it much easier to break down all those waterproof makeup. Also it leaves the skin feeling refreshed and very hydrated ( not tight at all). The packaging makes the product dispensing very messy and the product tends to all over the floor when i try use it. But the product is great!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by ProstheticAesthetics

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is outstanding - no question. Before I purchased this, I was using the Lancome Bi-facil, which is a staggering £21 more than the Garnier make-up remover. I had no issue with the Bi-facil, it IS brilliant, but I could not justify spending another £23 on a bit of liquid to remove my makeup. (I am a poor student) Seeing all the great reviews on MUA, I quickly purchased this as Bi-facils replacement, at only £2 (!!!) This make-up remover is absolutely NO different from the Lancomes Bi-Facil - it achieves the same perfect results for only a fraction of the price - it really is mind blowing. Sometimes it's worth experimenting with cheaper products, because a lot of the time you WILL find something just as good. I don't know how the people at Lancome sleep at night knowing how much their make-up remover retails for, when Garnier's bargain potion is just as good if not better. Anyway, sorry to rant. I use a small squirt of this on a round cotton pad, press it to my eyes, and swipe away, It removes even the toughest eyeliner/mascara, and does not irritate. In fact, after wiping away the residue, my eye area feels moisturised - bonus! Dare I say it, it is my HG make-up remover. Fantastic, and worth every penny. In fact, it's worth MORE. BUY IT!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Sarahtashh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This does its job - removes make up relatively easily and with minor residue. However I hate the bottle so much I will not repurchase it! Its awkward & always squirts out some of the product after Ive stood it back up which is just annoying haha.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this since it came out in Australia (erhem, SEVERAL years ago) and have been a party faithful since. I definitely don't use the term "HG" loosely... in fact, I've barely ever found a cosmetic product I'd define as my HG over my 40 years of full on cosmeticaholism. Every other HG ends up getting discontinued within a couple of years and I'm probably going to spend the rest of my life bewailing their loss and the quest to find a substitute I'd consider adequate. If Garnier discontinued this product, I'd definitely go into a state of deep bereavement.

I only use waterproof eyemakeup due to dribbly eyes, so it has to be tearproof and not merely water resistant. I was thrilled when dual phase removers came out and used Nivea the Nivea Visage version for a few months despite the fact that it stung my eyes - it was still better than the battle of the oil remover film over my eyes (which isn't terribly good for your peepers) along with oily layers of black residue floating on the surface of 'em.

L'Oreal brought out a version soon after and, although more expensive than the Visage version, did a far better job of removing all traces of eyemakeup without any stinging. No pain, no gain? Bah, humbug!

Knowing that Garnier was L'Oreal's subsidiary company aiming at the younger demographic who wanted cheaper versions of their products, I compared my L'Oreal ingredients to the Garnier immediately. Sure enough: same product for double the amount at half the price! Although, on occasion, I've felt compelled to try out other dual phase removers ranging from HE to other budget brands (Neutrogena, Philosophy, yada yada) just in case someone has developed something miraculous without my knowing it, I always come back to the Garnier. Yes, it does contain a couple of low grade nasties in the formula (nothing serious), it's actually cleaner in that sense than the expensive brands.

Considering that I use a LOT of eyeliner & mascara in particular, I use a LOT of remover. If I were to use other brands of remover I'd probably spend more on remover than on actual makeup. One bottle lasts me a couple of months so, when it's on sale at Chemist Warehouse, I buy 3 bottle to keep me going until the next sale. In fact, as both the L'Oreal and the Garnier were on sale for my latest stock up, I bought 2 Garnier & 1 L'Oreal (Neutrogena just doesn't cut it for me at all) and tried one on each eye: exactly the same result, except that the L'Oreal leaves a little oily residue. Why would I buy 125ml of L'Oreal when I can get 200ml of Garnier for what is usually a lower price?

PROs:
- Removes all waterproof/budgeproof makeup (including lipstick that stain & all of the nail varnishes that pose as indelible lipsticks) without any unnecessary tugging.
- I've experienced no problems with removing Japanese brands of waterproof mascara, although you may end up having to hold your soaked cotton pad over your eye for an extra minute in order for it to dissolve the mascara properly before wiping gently away.

CONs:
- I do wish it came with a screw cap (like the Neutrogena) in order to avoid the occasional wastage of too much squirting out or just plain missing the cotton pad.
- The snib top on the lid opens very easily so it's not great for travelling. Definitely has to be packed with care so that it stands upright at all times & has nothing touching the lid near it. Not a big deal, though. I just shake the bottle up thoroughly & transfer enough into a small, sterile travel bottle to last me for my stay.
- Suffers the same scatty use issues as do all dual phased removers. Always remember to shake the bottle properly before doing the second eye. It separates very quickly so, if you're not paying attention, you'll be squeezing the oil onto your cotton pad instead of the correct mixture. Oh, and don't forget to snib the lid properly between shakes. It doesn't happen terribly often but I have had the odd splashing down the sides of the bottle and a squirt in the face incident when I'm tired or in a rush.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No