April 19, 2014 | 864 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Garnier - Clean Sensitive 2-in-1 Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this since it came out in Australia (erhem, SEVERAL years ago) and have been a party faithful since. I definitely don't use the term "HG" loosely... in fact, I've barely ever found a cosmetic product I'd define as my HG over my 40 years of full on cosmeticaholism. Every other HG ends up getting discontinued within a couple of years and I'm probably going to spend the rest of my life bewailing their loss and the quest to find a substitute I'd consider adequate. If Garnier discontinued this product, I'd definitely go into a state of deep bereavement.

I only use waterproof eyemakeup due to dribbly eyes, so it has to be tearproof and not merely water resistant. I was thrilled when dual phase removers came out and used Nivea the Nivea Visage version for a few months despite the fact that it stung my eyes - it was still better than the battle of the oil remover film over my eyes (which isn't terribly good for your peepers) along with oily layers of black residue floating on the surface of 'em.

L'Oreal brought out a version soon after and, although more expensive than the Visage version, did a far better job of removing all traces of eyemakeup without any stinging. No pain, no gain? Bah, humbug!

Knowing that Garnier was L'Oreal's subsidiary company aiming at the younger demographic who wanted cheaper versions of their products, I compared my L'Oreal ingredients to the Garnier immediately. Sure enough: same product for double the amount at half the price! Although, on occasion, I've felt compelled to try out other dual phase removers ranging from HE to other budget brands (Neutrogena, Philosophy, yada yada) just in case someone has developed something miraculous without my knowing it, I always come back to the Garnier. Yes, it does contain a couple of low grade nasties in the formula (nothing serious), it's actually cleaner in that sense than the expensive brands.

Considering that I use a LOT of eyeliner & mascara in particular, I use a LOT of remover. If I were to use other brands of remover I'd probably spend more on remover than on actual makeup. One bottle lasts me a couple of months so, when it's on sale at Chemist Warehouse, I buy 3 bottle to keep me going until the next sale. In fact, as both the L'Oreal and the Garnier were on sale for my latest stock up, I bought 2 Garnier & 1 L'Oreal (Neutrogena just doesn't cut it for me at all) and tried one on each eye: exactly the same result, except that the L'Oreal leaves a little oily residue. Why would I buy 125ml of L'Oreal when I can get 200ml of Garnier for what is usually a lower price?

PROs:
- Removes all waterproof/budgeproof makeup (including lipstick that stain & all of the nail varnishes that pose as indelible lipsticks) without any unnecessary tugging.
- I've experienced no problems with removing Japanese brands of waterproof mascara, although you may end up having to hold your soaked cotton pad over your eye for an extra minute in order for it to dissolve the mascara properly before wiping gently away.

CONs:
- I do wish it came with a screw cap (like the Neutrogena) in order to avoid the occasional wastage of too much squirting out or just plain missing the cotton pad.
- The snib top on the lid opens very easily so it's not great for travelling. Definitely has to be packed with care so that it stands upright at all times & has nothing touching the lid near it. Not a big deal, though. I just shake the bottle up thoroughly & transfer enough into a small, sterile travel bottle to last me for my stay.
- Suffers the same scatty use issues as do all dual phased removers. Always remember to shake the bottle properly before doing the second eye. It separates very quickly so, if you're not paying attention, you'll be squeezing the oil onto your cotton pad instead of the correct mixture. Oh, and don't forget to snib the lid properly between shakes. It doesn't happen terribly often but I have had the odd splashing down the sides of the bottle and a squirt in the face incident when I'm tired or in a rush.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 3:01:00 AM More reviews by paralleluniverse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I like this remover very much. It works a lot better than other highly raved pricier alternatives such as Bioderma Sensibio, is gentle and does cause me to break out. It completely removes waterproof mascara and eyeliner and does not leave excess oily residue. Face makeup is also easily removed with this. It is also an absolute bargain, retailing at just under AU $10 for a generous 200mL. I will continue to repurchase this wonderful product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Kitooo

This makes life so easy. No irritating ingredients, removes both face and eye makeup really easily without any rubbing. It can feel a little oily after use if you have oily skin like me but i just go straight onto my cleanser afterwards. One of the few products i buy regularly and stock up on when on offer, i have no need to try anything else!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2013 3:24:00 AM More reviews by jwudy

Does the job and removes waterproof eye makeup without removing my eyelashes :) Relatively cheap! Will repurchase :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Katya83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Really like this product! I've been on a hunt for a good (not very expensive) eye make up remover for a few months now and after trying about 5 different brands finally found my product! It removes all make up without leaving black smudges under my eyes and there is no need to rub my eyelashes while removing mascara. It is slighlty greasy in comparison to other eye make up removers however i tend to wash my face straight after removing my eye make up and therefore i dont see it as a problem. Great value for money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 8:37:00 AM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I gag at the thought of overpaying for Bioderma so was always on the hunt for a non burning eye makup remover. My new HG.

Owned by L'Oreal, the Garnier formula comes in a squeeze top with a tinted bottle so you see how much you use and whats left. A thin liquid, there is no greasy residue, which is super important because I wear contacts and waterproof mascara and no drying under my eyes either.This is the Bioderma clone but at a 1/3 of price.I am writing about the Canadian formula but assume its similar to the US.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by MissusH123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is great for when you are too lazy to wash make up off.. Does leave your skin feeling a little oily and slipperly but takes off make up well. I would buy it again I have no issues with it.. It is gentle and doesnt sting your eyes. Takes off waterproof eye make up with ease unlike most products. Love this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by amtn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

$6AUD at Chemist Warehouse for 200ml. GEM OF A PRODUCT.

I was looking for a product to replace my HG Maybelline Make Up Remover Eye & Lip (40ml). Which ticks all the criteria listed below.. except at 40ml and a twist off cap.. I began to search for a better bottle size and packaging.

Packaging is good. Bottle is squeeze-able.
To avoid pouring out too much, do NOT squeeze! Shake so the two liquids are combined, quickly tip over onto makeup remover pad to control how much product is coming out.

About my eyes: I have eczema around my eyes. Have had a history of getting chalazions (A chalazion is a small bump in the eyelid caused by a blockage of a tiny oil gland. Symptoms: Eyelid tenderness; Increased tearing; Painful swelling on the eyelid.) and I have finally found a product that is safe enough to use on my eyes!

Previously, I have tried products which have promised to be suited to sensitive eyes... however they're so gentle... They remove only powder eyeshadow leaving the waterproof mascara (essential; my eyes water), cream eyeshadow, gel eyeliner and the whole shebang!

This removes everything. EVERYTHING. It's so cheap! And my eyes do not sting or anything. They feel soft after I have removed my makeup unlike other formulas that have left my eyes feeling tight, slightly red and dry. I also use this on my lips, as I get eczema around them too. Removes all my lipliner and lipstick stains.

Have already purchased backup bottles. Definitely recommend! To sensitive and non-sensitive eyes!

EDIT: Make sure to shake the bottle thoroughly before use. Pouring the liquid onto the cotton pad must be done quickly before the two layers separate. As a result, I find myself squeezing the bottle! The only con is pouring out too much.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2012 5:24:00 PM More reviews by Alinster

great for removing all kinds of makeup, I use it all over my face, leaves me feeling slightly greasy but I wash my face afterwards so it doesn't matter.it's very cheap and gentle, does its job so I will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by SydneyXoXO1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

its a good make up i found it easy to remove everything apart from liquid eye liner i hate the fact that i have to shake the bottle to mix the 2 liquids together its too troublesome i love that its gentle its dose leave a slight oily resedue and i love how its drug store and super cheap