Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

1/2 tbsp. dishwashing liquid
1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

MAC brush cleanser---I LAUGH AT YOU.
Why spend hard earned money on something you can make with things you already own?
Want to learn how to DIY brush cleanser my way? Read on, lovely reader.

1. Gather some dish soap, olive oil, and a container (I recommend a soap dish, it works gloriously for me)
2. Mix the 2 parts soap, 1 part oil, and a bit of water into the soap dish. Make sure you mix it all up well.
3. Now you just dip the brush into your cleanser, and rinse under the sink. I use much less cleanser using the soap dish rather than a cup or what have you.
4.When cleansing, make sure to work out all the makeup with your fingertips, and rinse BRISTLE SIDE DOWN! try not to get water into the metal part of your brush as it will cause the glue to come undone, resulting in broken and shedding brushes. We definitely don't want that!
5.Make sure all the suds are out of the brush, then set them to dry at a downward tilt.
6.Once dry, you can now use your squeaky clean brushes on your beautiful face!!

I always use this to clean my brushes, and it helps to keep them clean, soft, and in good condition.

Don't waste your money on manufactured brush cleansers, lovelies!

NOTE: If you are acne prone, or use your brushes on people other than yourself on occasion, letting the brushes sit in a cup filled with a shallow amount of alcohol is really recommended! It will help to further sanitize the brush, and it makes it easier to clean all the makeup out when you get the actually cleaning the brushes :)

This is how I do it but I forego the tea tree oil and use lavender essential oil instead...

1 Cup distilled water
1/4 Cup 91% alchohol
1TBSP dish washing soap (Dawn Antibacterial)
1TBSP Castille soap (Lavender)
1TBSP shampoo (EO French Lavender)
1TBSP conditioner (EO French Lavender which is both leave in/rinse out)
A few drops of Lavender essential oil (from the health food store)

Can you tell I like lavender? lol My brushes are so clean and smell yummy! We have a fireplace, so I lay them on a towel and let them dry several feet away from the fire in the wintertime. We also live WAY out in the country so during the summer, I take them to my back deck and lay them out on the table (avoiding direct sunlight) and voilĂ ... clean, dry brushes in no time. The only time I don't dry them outside in the summer is when the pollen is flying around and killing my sinuses :) I did that once and had to go back and re-wash them...ugh! The bristles were literally yellow with all that nasty pollen!

Here I got this recipee from a favorite makeup tutorial instructor of mine in her vid at Youtube (I improve a little bit):
1 tablespoon of Dish washing soap (to disinfect the bacteria)
1 tablespoon of olive oil/jojoba oil (to smothen the brush)
half teaspoon of lime water
Add no water when you clean up your brushes with these three ingredients

Just mix all the ingredients above and clean your brush with it by stiring it up on the plate with the mixture. Later wash off your brush with warm or cold water. And you'll see your squeaky clean brush :) I prefer using this hommade brush cleanser because it's waaaayy inexpensive than the branded brush cleanser. And I feel more comfortable with the material of this cleanser.

This formula is amazing and most importantly, affordable!
However, I do want to point out that you might want to pick a hair shampoo that has a pleasant scent! I accidentally picked one with really strong herbal smell, which I do not favor, and now my brushes smell like medicinal herbs...:/ still works wonders though.
1 tablespoon spray leave in conditioner

Love this! This isn't meant to be a deep clean, but a quick clean for brushes. I used the recipe below, put it in a spray bottle, spray a few pumps on the brush, a few pumps on a micro fibre cloth and rub the brush til there's no 'color'. The brushes also dry quickly. This work so great, a thank you to whomever made this up!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I was really hoping to be able to replace my Mac brush cleaner with something more affordable, but unfortunately this concoction left my brushes less than clean. I experimented a lot with different amounts of alcohol, dish detergent, and shampoo, but even after washing them three times, I can still see concealer/foundation residue on my foundation brush. Back to Mac for me, I guess...

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Genius. Whilst I like to wash my brushes once a week, I like the thought if spot cleaning. I do have acne prone skin and don't like the idea of putting bacteria on my face every morning.
Looked at the ingredients of most spot brush cleansers and instinct told me na. Then saw this review a while ago and thought to give it a try. Had a spare spray bottle so hey.
Here's my recipe
Distilled water 60%
Alcohol 30%
Shampoo 2 %
Conditioner 5%
Pum pum wash 3%
A few drops of ti-tree oil.

I just shook the cream conditioner with the water to not have any lumps. I didn't want to use dish wash liquid as I use these brushes on my face! What else is a gentle cleanser? Intimate wash if good enough for my lady parts then good for my brushes....., so apart from water & alcohol all my ingredients were organic certified. Not intentional but nice touch.
I only made 100mls of the stuff as I might nor have liked it. The ti-tree was just a added insurance. Well the first time I used it I went through all my brushes & a fair amount of kitchen towel. But now I use it after every use. It dries really quickly, natural and synthetic bristles alike are left really soft & residue free. I can now use favoured brushes for different colours. Best of all, clean brushes in between washing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Here is a recipe for DIY MU brush cleaner that I <3
1 tablespoon spray leave in conditioner
I use the same recipe as others, and also found it online, it works great and even makes brushes that were kinda scratchy lush and soft. I swear by this formula. Cheap and So worthy of checking out if you have never tried it!

I won't repeat what everyone has written, but I used Enkore's recipe and it works fantastic! What I used: 7th Generation liquid dish soap, Trader Joe's Refresh shampoo, John Frieda Root Awakening Detangling Spray, and rosewater for scent. Try it! Super cheap and works far better than anything bought!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Simple, cheap, and very effective!

Popular Makeup Brushes