Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

1 cup distilled water1/4 cup alcohol1/2 tbsp. clear shampoo1/2 tbsp. dishwashing liquid1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner

This formula is amazing and most importantly, affordable!
However, I do want to point out that you might want to pick a hair shampoo that has a pleasant scent! I accidentally picked one with really strong herbal smell, which I do not favor, and now my brushes smell like medicinal herbs...:/ still works wonders though.

on 4/27/2013 8:21:00 AM

Love this! This isn't meant to be a deep clean, but a quick clean for brushes. I used the recipe below, put it in a spray bottle, spray a few pumps on the brush, a few pumps on a micro fibre cloth and rub the brush til there's no 'color'. The brushes also dry quickly. This work so great, a thank you to whomever made this up!!

on 4/14/2013 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I was really hoping to be able to replace my Mac brush cleaner with something more affordable, but unfortunately this concoction left my brushes less than clean. I experimented a lot with different amounts of alcohol, dish detergent, and shampoo, but even after washing them three times, I can still see concealer/foundation residue on my foundation brush. Back to Mac for me, I guess...

on 10/12/2012 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Genius. Whilst I like to wash my brushes once a week, I like the thought if spot cleaning. I do have acne prone skin and don't like the idea of putting bacteria on my face every morning.
Looked at the ingredients of most spot brush cleansers and instinct told me na. Then saw this review a while ago and thought to give it a try. Had a spare spray bottle so hey.
Here's my recipe
Distilled water 60%
Alcohol 30%
Shampoo 2 %
Conditioner 5%
Pum pum wash 3%
A few drops of ti-tree oil.

I just shook the cream conditioner with the water to not have any lumps. I didn't want to use dish wash liquid as I use these brushes on my face! What else is a gentle cleanser? Intimate wash if good enough for my lady parts then good for my brushes....., so apart from water & alcohol all my ingredients were organic certified. Not intentional but nice touch.
I only made 100mls of the stuff as I might nor have liked it. The ti-tree was just a added insurance. Well the first time I used it I went through all my brushes & a fair amount of kitchen towel. But now I use it after every use. It dries really quickly, natural and synthetic bristles alike are left really soft & residue free. I can now use favoured brushes for different colours. Best of all, clean brushes in between washing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Here is a recipe for DIY MU brush cleaner that I <3
1 tablespoon spray leave in conditioner
I use the same recipe as others, and also found it online, it works great and even makes brushes that were kinda scratchy lush and soft. I swear by this formula. Cheap and So worthy of checking out if you have never tried it!

on 7/16/2012 5:23:00 PM

I won't repeat what everyone has written, but I used Enkore's recipe and it works fantastic! What I used: 7th Generation liquid dish soap, Trader Joe's Refresh shampoo, John Frieda Root Awakening Detangling Spray, and rosewater for scent. Try it! Super cheap and works far better than anything bought!

on 5/7/2012 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Simple, cheap, and very effective!

on 3/8/2012 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

MakeupAlley users always share the most innovative ideas that actually work!
I've been cleaning my brushes with shampoo and water for years now. At times, I do admit, I get a tad bit lazy and neglect to wash them at least weekly - certainly not good for my acne-prone complexion!
Enter the home made brush cleaner.
I am utterly flabbergasted as to how effectively this nifty concoction cleaned my brushes. It may seem melo-dramatic to utilise the word 'flabbergasted', but every last bit of foundation was 'drawn' out from my foundation brush. I used just three short bursts of brush cleaner. Incredible!
My recipe is similar to the one listed here. I did modify it slighty as I can't find rubbing alcohol anywhere. Surgical spirits will have to do.
In place of the dishwashing detergent, I used an aromatic herbal infused shower gel.
I can now gently clean my brushes and look forward to less comestic acne flare-ups.
All in all, it's an excellent, cost-effective way to clean make up brushes.
What's not to love?

on 3/4/2012 12:27:00 PM

Old link with old reviews and so glad it popped into my search results. I had all items on hand, even spray bottle. I am guilty of nearly never washing my brushes and realized this is really not being responsible with my investment in good brushes and quality make-up. So happy with results. I did note some reviews reposted the recipe but had incorrect measurement of TB marked as tsp.

on 11/24/2011 10:46:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Yipppeeeee! Finally a great product that works and is cheap. LOL, read the instructions (how hard can this be???) and make up a spray bottle to keep in my drawer.
Cleaned my new R and R brushes quickly and they could have been used within a few minutes because they dried so quickly. I also used a creamy leave in conditioner but I used a kitchen whisk to smooth it out in the alcohol before adding any other ingredients. Worked like a charm! No clumps.
Brushes are clean, soft, fluffy and returned to the pristine condition as when brand new. Great stuff!! Bought extra spray bottle and filled it for a stocking stuffer for my daughter.

Video Reviews & Tutorials