December 22, 2014 | 997 users online

Fragrances - Anne Pliska

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 7:10:00 AM More reviews by snarkyharper

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Starts off sweet but dry with lots of orange, then warms up with amber and vanilla. I see where the 'baby aspirin' comments come from, but the amber and vanilla take care of that quickly, on me. I don't get the 'chilly' mentioned in some of the older reviews. A great oriental that lasts and lasts, until showered off. Great sillage, too. I get sultry, ambered-up orange throughout the drydown, making this somewhat linear once developed. It does have a lot in common with Shalimar, but I actually prefer AP as I prefer the orangey top to the lemon/bergamoty one. It also reminds me a of a more wearable, more feminine Amber Sultan.
Hate the bottles, so cheap and ugly, but love the juice.
I have the edp and parfum, and will replace both when they are gone. A rich, pretty and dependable standby.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/28/2008 9:01:00 PM More reviews by amydiara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been on the hunt for a signature scent. I used to wear Anne Klein II, which is now only available to multi-millionaires on ebay.

This was recommended as a similar fragrance to AK II. I got a decant from the perfumed court. (LOVE this decant thing- no more wasted bottles!)

It smells like play-doh. I have small kids so I know.

After reading other reviews, I can also detect the cherry slurpee syrup and creamsicle but the play-doh is by FAR the strongest note.

The hunt continues...

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2008 12:52:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a sweet vanilla ice cream scent, with a little amber underneath it. I wish I got the orange peel that others mention. That would lift it to a 4 or 5 for me. I'm just overwhelmed by vanilla. That doesn't mean I won't wear the sample I received! Happily!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2008 1:45:00 PM More reviews by rljp

Two words: Orange popsicle.
This perfume is suffocating and strong.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by Tweetch

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This orange, ambery scent is one of my favorites and has garnered me more compliments than almost any other. It starts out with a spicy mandarin orange note and dries down to a musky amber. It's one of my fallback scents, one I can wear anytime, but it's especially lovely in the fall and winter.

A little goes a long way, and the sillage lasts well after I can no longer detect it on my skin.

My only gripe: The clunky retro bottle is unfortunate and does no justice to the beautiful juice within.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2007 2:26:00 PM More reviews by ravenlocks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

starts off exotic and sultry. turns into something stale and murky. had to wash it off when i got home.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2007 1:51:00 AM More reviews by luv_bug

This opened up intriguingly, with a fizzy, creamy orange rind note and a blast of boozy amber. It reminded me of a sexy, wearable version of the fruity rum punch a friend of mine used to make in a hollowed-out pineapple. As it entered the middle phase, I wasn't so sure I liked it anymore--there was a cherry syrup thing going on that hit my sinuses in the wrong way--but when it finally dried-down, I knew it wasn't for me. There's something about that Play-doh-y, mentholated vanilla that just turns me off. It's nothing against the perfume itself. POTL didn't work for me either, for the exact same reason. The sillage and lasting power is just incredible, though, and the price is right, so God bless the women who love Anne Pliska. I'm just not one of them.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2007 12:51:00 PM More reviews by dancingoutlaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is obviously a YMMV kind of fragrance, and I always appreciate that. If it smells that different on everyone, at least we know some thought was put into it. Sexy, subtle, slightly woodsy, smoky, powdery skin scents. If you love them there are some real treasures out there for you. There's this, and there’s also Fifi Chachnil, Agent Provocateur, Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, and especially Ormonde Jayne Ta‘if. If you like this, you should try those (they're similar on me, but again YMMV). I love them all--but my two favorites are L'Air and Ta'if. I also suggest trying Chergui if you can find it; it’s somewhat similar to these yet in a class of its own.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2007 10:45:00 PM More reviews by vespertine33

As soon as this touched my skin it started to grow. I got powdery orange/ amber immediately and couldn't stop sniffing. Alas. It went downhill really quickly. I am left with mostly ambergris and, in the background, something leathery; perhaps styrax. It reminds me of a leather bag of sticks my hippie cousin was wearing around her neck a few christmases ago when she was home from living in the woods with the rainbow people. For some reason she left it on my dresser and I was blessed with the task of removing it from the house. So. With my chemistry Anne Pliska = unwashed heathen. Blech.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2007 11:11:00 AM More reviews by ayala

Like my other two favourite ambery orientals, Shalimar and Obsession, Anne Pliska actually glows in the heat and are a real treat, just like vanilla ice cream...

What I first got from Anné Pliska was a summery note of orange and cream soda slushy topped with soft vanilla ice cream, along with daring hints of leather (or wintergreen and birch), creating a root-beer-like effect – which adds an interesting, contrasting accent. After a few minutes this thirst-quenching, cool concoction of sweet crushed ice and vanilla desert fades a bit, and the herbal note softens and moves to the background (perhaps it is tampered by the sweeter, more well-mannered geranium). Vanilla and amber are definitely the most dominant notes and are the theme of Anné Pliska, and are much softer and mellower in the dry down, and become almost powdery. But despite the fact that the scent stays quite linear for most of the composition – it is never boring. The notes weave in and out and maintain the sweet and lovable presence of amber.

Anné Pliska , made by South Californian independent perfumer by the same name, was launched in 1987 (two years after Obsession). Although it shares many similarities with Obsession, it is quite different and more sultry and complex. Think about the creamiest Shalimar vanilla, the amber of Tabu and Obsession, the orange-mandarin notes of Obsession, a tad of unique spiciness that is vaguely reminiscent of Joop! For Men - and an unusual, mysterious oomph of its own – and you get Anné Pliska. If you love these three bombshell orientals, you must try Anné Pliska. In fact, you must try Anné Pliska anyways because it is a special amber perfume, and an example for what a well-made American perfume is: boldly luxurious and sensual, yet sophisticated and elegant.

Top notes: Orange, Mandarin, Wintergreen/Birch