October 25, 2014 | 1733 users online

Treatments (Face) - Garden of Wisdom - Mandelic Acid Serum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Wow, I've never seen a product work so well so fast! Ordered a sample bottle of this along with some other products from GoW about a month ago, and already one of my persistent acne scars where two cystic pimples formed right beside each other (ow!) have seriously lightened. I'm using the 10% no alcohol / yes seaweed formulation, and don't find it drying but I do follow it up after 20 minutes with my facial oil (rice bran). It's tingly enough so I won't go down to the 5% but think the 15% might be overkill. I use it every 2-3 days, and probably would be fine using it every other day but I'm being careful only to lighten my scars/brighten my tone, and not lighten my skin tone on my face more than my neck. HG for me for sure!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by annehelge

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

At the moment, I am using the 15 % yes alcohol, yes seaweed Mandelic Acid from GoW.

I use just one drop on my nose every night after cleansing.

Ive been fighting blackheads on my nose ever since my teens, trying everything, and this stuff really, truly makes them *so* small, almost annihilates them. I am VERY happy. Shrinking, invisible pores, yay!!

PLEASE NOTE - you need to work your way up to the 15 % strength! I did, and I still get some mild flaking. (I dont mind it at night, and I just apply moisturizer during the day.)

Really. If you just buy this strength and apply it, I think you are going to wake up with major flakies. REALLY.

Ive also tried this on my face but did not work my way up to it, well major flaking, duh! I will try it again, but will start with a less potent Mandelic Acid, then use this maybe every third night, every second night, etc.

Ive heard this helps with sun spots, I tried it on one and it was lighter the very next morning. I will try this again for a longer time, I am convinced this is the solution.

Oh and the customer service at GoW is EXCEPTIONAL!! Very friendly, personal help.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2011 12:07:00 AM More reviews by michellethreefold

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Along with the Light & Bright Serum, the Mandelic Acid is definitely working to shift my pigmentation!

I started with 5%, and then moved up to 15%. Both are quite drying (since they are exfoliants), but as long as you follow up with a good moisturiser (or in my case facial oil), then you'll be fine. I only use the 15% formula every couple of days.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 6:20:00 AM More reviews by xlitlbitx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have used the 5% no alcohol and no seaweed version of this and purchased a sample of it to see if it worked, I don't care much for the sample bottle since its white and unable to see how much is in the bottle but dealt with it since it was a sample. It was suggested by one of the ladies that help answer questions on the GoW forum for my hyperpigmentation that I have as a spot treatment along with a couple other products they carry (light n' bright and maritlyme).
It has helped me out a lot with lightning up my spots but after a couple months I think my skin got use to it as your skin will do with many products so I was suggested another acid to use until I get the results that I want.
I plan on buying this product again just to keep my skin the way I want it with the discolorations and may even try it on my entire face as I have read it also helped others with acne and getting smaller pores.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2011 12:48:00 AM More reviews by sunkissedbeach

I've been using the 5% no alcohol no seaweed version for the past two weeks, but I probably could've gotten the 10% version too.

This tightened my pores almost immediately, which was great! My skin is mattified, and looks very calm. It doesn't sting, but since it's only 5% it would be weird if it did (my skin is used to acids; I've used almost all of MUAC's glycolic products before - Lactic peel, Glycolic peel, Gly-luronic serum, TCA peel etc).

On the bottle, it says that you should leave this on for 20 minutes before applying anything else.
It is a bit drying, but I can manage the 20 minute wait for moisturizer.

I don't like this particular packaging. The bottle is way too light, and easily knocked over. I knocked it over twice (!!), and lost 3/4 of the product.
Also, GoW's droppers are a little weak somehow, they don't hold the liquid. When you hold the dropper without pinching the top, the serum just seeps out.
Skin Ceuticals makes much better bottles, which are heavy glass, can handle an accidental bump, and their droppers have more "holding power".

Nevertheless, this is a great serum so far, will update later.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by tadpole02

This is one of those things that you have to use for a couple or a few weeks before you will notice a difference. I had developed acne in my 30's, nothing too major, but I had at least one "mark" or active pimple (some cystic) every day on my face. The old pimples would dry up but leave horrible scars. I also have a huge problem with clogged pores. So, in comes the mandelic 10% no alcohol, no seawees. I started out using it about every 3 days, then worked up to every other night. Now, I can use it every day if I want to, but still try to keep it to every other night. My skin has done a total turn around. I have no need to wear foundation, which would always cause clogged pores for me, no matter what formuation and brand. And, my scars have mostly faded. I would suggest to anyone to try the sample first, it lasts ages and then you could find out if it works for you.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2011 2:06:00 PM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I had such high hopes for this serum, but it did absolutely nothing for me. My skin is acne prone and used to a tough regimen of Retin A, AHA and TCA peels, and regular microdermabrasion and dermaplaning. I used this religiously for two months and honestly didn't see any difference in my skin. Pass.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by sunkissed011

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So ive been trying to find something to help with those stubborn clogged pores (small tiny bumps under the skin- you can't really see them unless you look at them under a certain lighting but you can feeel all the tiny lumps if you run your finger across them) and NOTHING i've tried has worked, (i've tried retin-a, bp, salicylic acid, glycolic acid). I also have a lot of acne scars on my cheeks from picking at previous pimples ( i know this is bad >.< but i can't help it). OMG seriously after the FIRST night of using this I would say 90% of the bumps on my cheeks had gone away. I've been using it for about a week now and all the clogged pores on my cheeks are GONE, i even noticed that my acne scars faded a little bit, I'll keep using this and update on how my scars look in a few weeks! I'm using the 10% mandelic acid serum with no alcohol/no seaweed btw. I also only purchased the sample size which is about the size of an eyedropper bottle. It will last me probably a month but i will DEF buy the full size when i run out. The only thing I don't like about this is the packaging (you actually have 3 options of having it come as a dropper, mister or pump. I didn't realize you could change this option so i ended up with the dropper. The serum is very liquidy so it's kind of hard to apply ( it actually feels kinda like water) so next time i order i would probably go with the spritzer, just cause it seems like it would be easier to apply to the face.

BASICALLY:
IF YOU HAVE CLOGGED PORES AND ACNE SCARS; BUY THIS.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by sophiapirie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for two nights. Im pregnant and my skin was just all over the place, clear one week then the next black heads and white heads. I've contributed this to mostly my oil production increasing so i layed off the make up and added joboba oil and gow 10% no alc no seaweed mandelic acid. I notice my black heads have already decreased and skin looks better which is a relief. I'll continue using after i have my baby as well. My goal is to not have to wear foundation at all except for concealer under my eyes. So i'd say give it a try if you want to just exfoliate or get rid of blackheads and light acne. I'll update in about a week or two.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 2:56:00 PM More reviews by rougebird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

The best stuff to treat those post acne spots (brown, red and even blue). I have cuperose and somehow tend to break out exactly near those areas. I am using enzyme peeling from Pevonia Botanica to clean the skin and this serum (no alco, no seaweed, 5%) to fight those nasty post acne "memories". I've found this to help heal the acne faster and lighten the spots (btw, more effective then GoW's Light'n'Bright serum). It is believed that mandelic acid is the only kind of acid that can be used with rosacea/cuperose and I am glad I've found it.