Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse

3.0

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Squalane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenyltrimethicone, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Methylparaben, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Silica, BHT, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain ( /-):, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), Mica

on 10/25/2008 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this on sale for $7 something I believe. It goes on pretty matte and is pretty buildable. It covered some red areas on my face but because my skin is dry, especially during the winter, it was pretty flaky and cakey looking. If you use this foundation, you need to exfoliate and moisturize very well before use.

on 10/23/2008 10:15:00 AM

For a reasonable price that would take care of a matte/fresh look, this is the right one. I just didn't rate it as my preference because i breakout on this product. I mostly breakouts with make ups anyway (that's why i don't use make up as much).

on 10/21/2008 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

i wear dream matte mousse in shade medium 2.5, i loove how it goes on really smooth and..matte..lol =). i wear this under my foundation for extra coverage, its even good as a concealor. its fairly cheap at about 10 i think it is..it comes in a thick glass jar. i guess they make it really thick so they have to put less product in it..lol ..overall i like it and will continue to buy it.

on 10/20/2008 9:25:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

its ok but i used better products then this

it as mid to full coverage

blends very well

and it cheap

Overall its good for the price

on 10/16/2008 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this product hoping to find a cheaper alternative to EL Maximum Coverage make-up. I was a litle hesitant because with my skintone, it's hard to find a match but I did and I love this product. It has great coverage, it's long lasting (which is great for my oily skin) and it makes my skin look and feel soft and smooth! I'll admit, when I first tried it, I used a sponge and it looked awful but then I bought a make-up brush and it goes on smoother and you don't need as much! I'm hooked! I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a full coverage foundation that looks natural.

on 10/14/2008 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was a regular user of the Lancome Magique Mousse foundation until it was recently discontinued. I loved the stuff - it didn't cause sensitivity, breakouts or extra oiliness with my "problem" (rashy, eczema-ridden, allergy-prone) skin. I came to this site in the hopes there would be a review that talked about a decent substitute for it.

Little did I know, the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse is essentially the same product as the Lancome (same company different brands). There are a couple of minor ingredient differences. One of the ingredient differences I noticed was the package for Maybelline said it may contain traces of bismuth oxychloride and titanium dioxide. It's a bit of a red flag to me, as I'm very allergic to bismuth oxychloride. It creates little cuts and a horrible rash on my face that is accompanied by uncontrollable itching (look at some of the Bare Minerals reviews if you need more info on bismuth oxychloride allergies). So far, I haven't had any problems with it.

On the down side, the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse is available in a much smaller range of colors than its Lancome counterpart. It is also distributed in cheaper, less-premium packaging. The up side is that it is sold at a much more appealing price point ($9.99 for the Maybelline vs. $42 or so for the Lancome). I never balked at the expensive Lancome since it lasted forever and was a pretty good value when cost per wearing was considered, but at $9.99 Maybelline is the winner.

While I loved the Lancome and was sad it was discontinued, I'm glad to have found an acceptable substitute. I wore "Buff 2" and "Buff 3" in the Lancome product, depending on the season. Those colors look to correspond to Dream Matte Mousse "Classic Ivory Light 2" as the lighter of the shades. I need to buy the darker one now, since the Classic Ivory Light 2 is a tad light for my end of summer skin, but will be perfect for winter.

For people who have issues getting even coverage with this product, this is a makeup that is best off applied with a foundation brush, rather than with fingers or a sponge. If you apply it with your fingers, it tends to get greasy and blotchy looking, especially on oily skin. It also sticks on dry patches if you have dry or combination skin. Using a brush gives a flawless finish. When I apply this makeup with a brush, it goes lightly and offers a fairly high amount of coverage. It never feels greasy or heavy when applied with a brush. On the other hand, it always feels greasy and heavy when applied with fingers - which I have had to do when I forgot my makeup brush when travelling. The makeup lasts all day on me when applied by brush.

The best part is I still get all the compliments on my skin with the Maybelline as I did with the Lancome.

on 10/9/2008 10:58:00 PM

So the packaging was great and the ads were convincing since i bought one myself.
I didn't like this product at all. It made my face dry and if you moisturize first and then put it on, it's caky and thick making your look seem un-natural.
It also felt heavy when I had it on.
Definitely did not like it.

on 10/9/2008 10:40:00 PM

First of all, thumbs-down for the packaging, but I suppose there's no way to package a mousse (which isn't a liquid) except in a jar. Still, I don't like it that contaminants are exposed in the process.

Well, I'm not using the Dream Matte Mousse per se, but Maybelline's White Stay Mousse, which comes with SPF24PA++ and which is supposed to have skin lightening properties. I tried both in store and both textures are the same, but I naturally went for the one with SPF protection.

Being a liquid foundation user all my life, Maybelline's mousse concept, which promises an "air-whipped" texture, is a novelty. It also promises to give a matte look, is hypoallergenic, won't clog pores and is dermatologist tested. Essentially, all the properties you'd look for in a promising foundation.

Because of its somewhat drier texture, the mousse is also recommended for those with normal, combination or oily skins. What I like about the mousse is that the wide range of shades means chances are, you'll find a shade that's close to your natural skin tone. Plus it's great fun to blend too. It's amazing how just a little bit can cover such a large area.

Here's the downside though -- the mousse doesn't go on well if you don't prime/prep your skin before application. Using toner isn't enough; in fact, using moisturiser is an absolute necessity. One morning when I was rushing, I chose to slap on the mousse on bare skin, and the product simply dragged across my face, leaving obvious streaks. When I tried to touch up those streaks using more of the product, my face not only looked more patchy, the excess mousse began crumbling off in small flakes. It didn't even stay put on oilier parts of my face.

As a result, I've found that it's very, very important to use moisturiser first before applying Maybelline's mousse. Simply put, the mousse doesn't adhere well to smooth surfaces... it needs to be able to "cling" onto a surface that's a little sticky (because of the moisturiser). Using a moisturiser that's too mattifying also makes the mousse tricky to put on; you need to find a moisturiser that's slightly emollient.

Now that I've learned that, I use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm on my face before applying the mousse and I don't have problems with application at all. I can blend nicely without streaking or the mousse coagulating into little balls.

I'm using the whitening version, but thus far, I haven't noticed any difference in skin brightening. Still, I'd probably repurchase again as it's fun to use, I need only use a little with no spillage and wastage, and the moderate coverage looks natural while adequately blurring flaws. Am not surprised either that it's been a bestseller since it was launched.

on 10/8/2008 4:38:00 PM

I love the coverage Dream Matte Mousse gives me. I usually don't even need to use concealer. Unfortunately this stuff gives me horrible breakouts.

on 10/8/2008 9:54:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Positive:
*Uhm...
Negative:
*Packaging: a jar, so you have to put your fingers in the jar to apply it.
*Colour range: not big enough, moderate choice of tones.
*Quality: doesn't stay matte, hard to blend well, unnatural coverage
*Texture: chunky and feels a bit greasy
*Staying power; melts away quickly
For a matte finish I prefer Clinique Superfit. More blendable and a matte finish that looks more natural.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

MAYBELLINE Dream Matte Mousse foundation review [has Cancer producing ingredient] by LifeThoughtsCamera