November 26, 2014 | 1676 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 9:29:00 PM More reviews by hotAsFiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm disappointed in this foundation. To be completely honest, I cannot speak on its long-term perfomance because I couldn't get pass the way it looked on me. The color match was okay...nothing to brag about, but probably one of the closest matches I've had in any foundation aside MAC. By the way, I wear NC45/50, depending on the season. I tried shade 173 and 176 (I think). 173 has more yellow but was a tad light/milky looking and the other had a bit too much of the red undertones in it.
Anyway, this foundation, no matter how I applied it, looked too thick and unnatural for my liking. They dont call this HD for kicks I tell ya. This is something I would wear or recommend for a photoshoot, for someone who's going to be attending a super fancy event where flashes are going to be going off every 2 seconds, and yes, for weddings too. For every day wear I'm afraid this is too much. At least for me. But consider that I'm not into heavy foundations and I mostly wear powder and concealer when needed.
I took a sample home as soon as this foundation came out and tried it several times, up until now, when I'm finally convinced this is just not for me.
The price for the actual product is actually ok, and so is the packaging. Overall will not repurchase for personal use but *might* consider or recommend for special events.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 6:32:00 PM More reviews by ahhhttack

I rarely ever get in to foundations because I find that picking a shade is just way too difficult. The hype around this product, however, convinced me to give it a try. I have yellow undertones, but I find that a lot of yellow toned foundation (esp. MAC) makes me look like I'm wearing a yellow mask. I've been MAC matched in Studio Fix Powder to C2, NC25, and N4. I usually reach for N4 the most since the other ones seem too yellow when I apply them. So when I bought this, I was wary of 117 (which is VERY yellow when swatched on the hand) but none of the other colors seemed right for me. The Sephora SA recommended it to me as well when she did a match. I have to say, I am VERY pleasantly surprised. When you apply this foundation, it doesn't look as yellow as it does in the bottle. I found that it was actually the PERFECT match for me! I'd say it gives buildable light to medium coverage. I have normal skin for the most part so I can't comment on whether or not it causes break outs. If I tan in the summer, I might need to go up to 118 or 120, but for now 117 is my HG!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2009 5:28:00 PM More reviews by LaciP504

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My newest foundation purchase that I am in love with. :) I like to rotate my foundations based on the season and sometimes prefer different finishes which led me to buy this one. It's a love/hate relationship with this one on the boards. Those who dislike seem to break out quite a bit from it. I've never been breakout prone so I gave it a try.

I am very pleased with this overall. It's probably my heaviest foundation coverage wise but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes I prefer a heavier coverage and this one fits the bill. It evens out my skintone and covers the minor imperfections very well without looking mask like on the skin. It seems to glide on my skin very nicely although be warned that this one dries quickly so blend in quickly!! I've only applied w/ my fingers so far and it looks nice but I am going to apply w/ my MAC 187 as well.

After much debating about shades online I trudged to my local Sephora which isn't so local, to get matched. I'm glad I did because my guesstimate was a number off. I was matched at #127 /Dark Sand(med skin w/ yellow undertones). For reference I have combo skin. I wear Shell in Chanel T.I. liquid, #3 in GA Face Fabric, #30 in Diorskin Forever, and around NC 35 in MAC. I have clear skin w/ no major imperfections,not breakout prone. Retails for $40 (US).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Winthrop44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have rosacea with very sensitive skin and can't tolerate many commonly used ingredients. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this foundation did not contain anything, including chemical sunscreen, that I've knowingly had trouble with in the past and decided to give it a whirl. It's ok. The finish looks ok and it doesn't irritate my skin within a matter of hours as many foundations do, but I can't say how it would do over the longer term because I never wear it 2 days in a row -- I don't really care for the shade match. I'm a light NC15 or C1 in MAC, N1 in Alima, Chantecaille Porcelain. My closest match in this is 117, which I would equate with a MAC NC15-20, closer to NC20, and with strong yellow tones. It's unfortunate that MUFE does not offer a HD shade equivalent to 110 (which is lighter but extremely pink) for the yellow and/or neutral toned among us. After much aggravation, I finally managed to locate contact information for someone at MUFE to request that they consider offering a less pink lighter shade and was (politely) told they can't match every skin tone/depth that exists and that they had no plans to extend the shade range. Luckily, Chantecaille, Alima, Everyday Minerals, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier and Revlon, among others, do not feel that very pale individuals with neutral or yellow undertones are so rare! Finally, while I realize the trend is toward long-wearing foundations, I prefer one that I can easily remove with my HG cleanser, MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cleanser. This is not a wimpy cleanser, but it really doesn't remove HD from either my face or my brush. I use Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm or a cleansing oil to remove. Would not repurchase unless they came out with a more appropriate shade for me.

Edit 7/12/09: I've found that I can achieve a somewhat more wearable shade by mixing 117 with some Face Atelier Zero Minus (which has a high silicone content) or MUFE HD 110. Don't bother mixing HD with MAC Face & Body White as that is water based and the "look" of HD is destroyed. My best match (though still not good enough to where I'd feel great about actually wearing it) is 2/3 of 117 + 1/3 of 110...an expensive proposition for not so great.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2009 3:24:00 PM More reviews by gphibgoddess19

I had really high hopes and expectations for this foundation. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to any of them. I've decided to list the different ways that I tried to apply this foundation and the accompanying results a little further in the review. If I could give this 0 lippies I would. The only positive is that the 110 is a pretty good match for my NW15/PX Camellia/ EL Shell skin. Also, I always like a pump bottle since they're sanitary. Other than that, I really wanted to have the amazing results so many have seen with this. If it wasn't for the pics I've seen, I probably wouldn't believe them, lol! Also, my skin is combo/acne prone, a little flaky and dull in the winter, but my nose has large pores and stays oily.

For this list, I used my usual primer, which is Smashbox Photofinish Light.
Fingers-Coverage was very light and had to blend fast. I tried to layer another coat, but it ended up being too much.
187-I tried this with one pump and it was hardly detectable. With 2 pumps, it was better but still not enough coverage. The 3 pumps had good coverage but by the end of the day, it had pooled in my pores and was just hanging out on top of my skin.
190-Once again, one coat wasn't enough. Tried to layer and ended up with it sitting on my skin once again.
Damp sponge (SK Blue Peep)-This gave the best application but the lasting power was nil.

Since I thought something was wrong with me, I bought the MUFE HD Primer. However, it didn't make any difference, almost everything I mentioned happened all over again. I also set it with the HD power and it was just all around awful. I'm happy it works for others but for me it's horrible. Thankfully I can always fall back on my PX Flawless Skin and I have a new love in the Diorskin Nude.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by FallBaby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try this foundation in the worst way after reading all the hype on the boards, so on my last visit to Sephora, I scored a generous sample of this foundation and tried it out for a week. I have mixed feelings about this. The color -- HD 120 -- was one of the best foundation color matches for me ever -- for reference I'm a MAC C2/NC25. This applied like a dream, and I loved the finish -- it's not matte, not dewy -- just very natural. I have large pores and combo skin, and after application, my skin looked pretty flawless. It's nice and light feeling on the skin, too.

So why didn't I give this a better rating? It had absolutely no staying power...and I was testing this during the cold Midwestern winter months when my skin is a tad drier; I can't imagine what this would do in humid summer weather. I tried setting it w/my loose NARS powder and w/MAC Blot, but it made no difference...a couple of hours after application, it looked like I hadn't applied the foundation at all; I even used a MUFE primer underneath, but still no luck w/staying power. I believe this retails for $40 at Sephora; I just can't spend that on a foundation that doesn't last. So for now, I'm sticking with Estee Lauder's Day Wear Light.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2009 3:54:00 AM More reviews by codyeve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I so wanted to like this foundation, but I hate it!!! The coverage is sheer, it pools up in my pores & makes my skin flaky around my nose. $40??? What a waste!!! This is definitely going back. On the positive side, the color selection is great, 110 is a perfect match for me which is difficult. I like the pump bottle.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 5:02:00 PM More reviews by JESSICA85

This foundation has a really great finish in my opinion...It is extremely important that the skin be hydrated or will make large pores even bigger and cling to flakes. The color selection for this is unrivaled there are 25 colors to choose from...ranging from cool, neutral and warm undertones, and there are even some colors for those of us that have olive skin. This is def a medium coverage foundation and is definetly buildable. There were a couple of different problems for me. First of all the foundation doesnt wear evenly I have combo skin but right now since the weather is very dry im def more dry, and I noticed the foundation began to fade on my cheeks and dissapeared in places on my forehead, not good. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation from breakouts and I hate concealing or touching up so fading foundation for me after a couple of hours is simply not acceptable especially if my skin is on the drier side. Second and the most important reason why I am no longer using this is beause it causes some sort of irritation to my skin after a couple of days of wearing in a row i noticed a lot of red bumps that looked like clogged pores but I couldnt extract...Then came actual breakouts. I know it was this because I tried this foundation about 6months a go and it happened tried it again last week and it happened again. I had high hopes for this because I had a good color match in 123 (for ref nc35-37-40) and this had NO sunscreen which I look for since I am allergic to chemical sunscreens. Really liked the packaging too...simple with a pump...oh well currently trying chantecailles future skin...crossing my fingers.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 5:00:00 PM More reviews by JESSICA85

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 12:31:00 PM More reviews by jenja536

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I went into Sephora and wanted to try this makeup out. A lady helped me to find a shade and she matched me with #153. I bought it and used it for a couple of days. It's really great stuff. It feels light on my face and I can barely feel it. Honestly, there is a difference between this and my MAC select. After removing my makeup at the end of the day, I can feel a difference when I remove my MAC. It feels like a mask was taken off of my face....and I only use one pump with the MAC. With the make up forever, I also use one pump and I can't tell a difference when I remove it. It's weightless. When paired with the HD powder, I had very minimal oiliness in my T-Zone. I think this will be my daily wear makeup. Hey, I need to make use of it after paying $40 on it!