November 26, 2014 | 1252 users online

Foundations - Maybelline - Dream Matte Mousse

rated 2 of 5 on 10/9/2008 10:58:00 PM More reviews by Michelle00

So the packaging was great and the ads were convincing since i bought one myself.
I didn't like this product at all. It made my face dry and if you moisturize first and then put it on, it's caky and thick making your look seem un-natural.
It also felt heavy when I had it on.
Definitely did not like it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2008 10:40:00 PM More reviews by rinsrevenge

First of all, thumbs-down for the packaging, but I suppose there's no way to package a mousse (which isn't a liquid) except in a jar. Still, I don't like it that contaminants are exposed in the process.

Well, I'm not using the Dream Matte Mousse per se, but Maybelline's White Stay Mousse, which comes with SPF24PA++ and which is supposed to have skin lightening properties. I tried both in store and both textures are the same, but I naturally went for the one with SPF protection.

Being a liquid foundation user all my life, Maybelline's mousse concept, which promises an "air-whipped" texture, is a novelty. It also promises to give a matte look, is hypoallergenic, won't clog pores and is dermatologist tested. Essentially, all the properties you'd look for in a promising foundation.

Because of its somewhat drier texture, the mousse is also recommended for those with normal, combination or oily skins. What I like about the mousse is that the wide range of shades means chances are, you'll find a shade that's close to your natural skin tone. Plus it's great fun to blend too. It's amazing how just a little bit can cover such a large area.

Here's the downside though -- the mousse doesn't go on well if you don't prime/prep your skin before application. Using toner isn't enough; in fact, using moisturiser is an absolute necessity. One morning when I was rushing, I chose to slap on the mousse on bare skin, and the product simply dragged across my face, leaving obvious streaks. When I tried to touch up those streaks using more of the product, my face not only looked more patchy, the excess mousse began crumbling off in small flakes. It didn't even stay put on oilier parts of my face.

As a result, I've found that it's very, very important to use moisturiser first before applying Maybelline's mousse. Simply put, the mousse doesn't adhere well to smooth surfaces... it needs to be able to "cling" onto a surface that's a little sticky (because of the moisturiser). Using a moisturiser that's too mattifying also makes the mousse tricky to put on; you need to find a moisturiser that's slightly emollient.

Now that I've learned that, I use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm on my face before applying the mousse and I don't have problems with application at all. I can blend nicely without streaking or the mousse coagulating into little balls.

I'm using the whitening version, but thus far, I haven't noticed any difference in skin brightening. Still, I'd probably repurchase again as it's fun to use, I need only use a little with no spillage and wastage, and the moderate coverage looks natural while adequately blurring flaws. Am not surprised either that it's been a bestseller since it was launched.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2008 4:38:00 PM More reviews by masm1988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the coverage Dream Matte Mousse gives me. I usually don't even need to use concealer. Unfortunately this stuff gives me horrible breakouts.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2008 9:54:00 AM More reviews by JunkieXL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Positive:
*Uhm...
Negative:
*Packaging: a jar, so you have to put your fingers in the jar to apply it.
*Colour range: not big enough, moderate choice of tones.
*Quality: doesn't stay matte, hard to blend well, unnatural coverage
*Texture: chunky and feels a bit greasy
*Staying power; melts away quickly
For a matte finish I prefer Clinique Superfit. More blendable and a matte finish that looks more natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2008 8:01:00 AM More reviews by BlissBubble

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I definitely went through my phase of using this foundation and loving it but after a while i found i had skintone and coverage issues- it was lumpy rather than smooth as time wore on and their tan range was all too dark for my skin, whereas medium was too light. This is nothing new to me with foundations, i struggle to find my shade in any brand hehe...
i love the idea of this foundation but given i cannot find the right shade i cannot say i would use it, plus the texture means coverage gets worse over time.
No breakouts or dryness on my combination skin, it was fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2008 3:30:00 AM More reviews by MizzJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this product. I don't wear foundation, but it makes a great concealer - the perfect mix of liquid and powder! Comes in a variety of shades and feels like velvet. The jar is small enough to throw into your purse and lasts forever.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2008 12:37:00 AM More reviews by Katou

I have oily/dry skin. Combo-like. At first, this worked okay. Covered well. Matted. Sometimes, after a while, it made my face feel disgusting, badly covered and oily feeling. Right now, it's making my skin quite dry. I have trouble applying it evenly even with a moisturizer. It was good at first, but my skin didn't appreciate the little breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 8:08:00 PM More reviews by gabbster123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

well the texture of this product is amazign so airy and soft it applies awesomely to my skin it melts into it. it has a great matte finish while actually looking natural but my face looks very light s im going to rate it a 4/5

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 5:43:00 PM More reviews by ktu64

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Goods:
-not super pricey
-very smooth, glides on
-good coverage
-matte
-doesn't really cause breakouts

not so goods:
-splotchy, uneven application
-sometimes rubs off/doesn't last super long
-looks greasy after a short time

overall, not really impressed. a solid product that i think is overhyped up (or at least it is overhyped by my friends)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2008 5:22:00 AM More reviews by princesselle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this foundation. it's really matte and glides onto your skin really easily. there's one problem though, for me, it doesn't last very long at all.