August 28, 2014 | 923 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2007 8:07:00 PM More reviews by mellimello

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm not usually a fan of powder foundations, but I really like using Bare Minerals. I like that you can build the coverage to make it as sheer or as heavy as you need, all without it ever feeling cakey or heavy. The color selection isn't all that great and they tend to leave me a little on the orange side, but I find that if I mix the foundation with Mineral Veil, then it sheers it out and makes it more neutral.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2007 5:42:00 AM More reviews by meepo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this a few times at most, and then I had to stop because I began breaking out ALLLL over my face and it became extremely and painfully itchy, red, and irritated. This has NEVER happened to me before. I finally couldn't stand it and walked into a beauty store in search of a remedy, and as soon as the SA saw me, she immediately told me that my skin looks irritated and suggested that I stop using whatever I'm using. After I stopped, my skin looks a whole lot better again. That was an experience in my skin's history that is painful just to think about, and I definitely do not want to put myself through it again by using this.

Also it doesn't look that natural, it makes my skin look old, if that makes sense at all. It's messy as heck too!

EDIT: I've discovered that a significant cause of the irritation may have been from prickliness of the Flawless Face brush (<--terrible, TERRIBLE brush!!). I have been trying out different brushes, like the Coastal Scents buffer brush which is a lot softer and gives better application, and I am having much more luck with mineral makeup in general.. However I'm still unsure about whether I will repurchase this, as I have bad memories..

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2007 8:08:00 PM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I never, ever wear foundation, but my Halloween costume (ca 1940s film noir-style femme fatale) demads that I bring the sexy-glam-old school face, so I thought I'd spring for some spackle. Since I fear foundation, I opted for the Bare Minerals because I used to use Mineral Veil as a mattifying powder in the summers and knew that it 1) wouldn't cause breakouts or rashes and 2) wouldn't feel horrible. I obsessed in Ulta for about 1/2 hour, between light and fairly light, using (gads, I know) the back of my hand. But I checked in the store light and I checked in the sunlight and . . . I couldn't see the light - it blended very well. So I bought it. Now, perhaps it is because I never wear foundation and am, therefore, unused to seeing my face all one color (I have rosey cheeks, which this obliterates) but this stuff makes me look weird. I feel that it makes me too sallow -- which would seem to indicate that I chose the incorrect shade. But at the same time, it totally blends in. So I don't know if there are some really sneakily raging yellow tones in this, or if my skin is just appallingly sallow when presented in a uniform shade, without being broken up by my natural cheek color. I did apply blush, which helped of course, but still didn't quite . . . work. Also, it does settle into my forehead creases and I feel it makes the pores between my eyebrows look unsettlingly large. Other than that, the finish is kind of nice, in that it is not freakishly matte, and yet this, too, I find to be a bit "off" -- because it isn't exactly dewey or fresh, either. All in all, it strikes me as ironically unnatural in both tone and finish. And while it does not give me the customary feeling of "my face is suffocating!!!" that I have experienced with past foundation attempts, it does make my face feel (again) weird, if I happen to touch it. I'm not super impressed, I wouldn't buy it again -- but then I don't think I'll buy any non-Halloween foundation again and will, instead, stik to my regularly scheduled routine of fresh face with a touch of blush.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2007 10:33:00 PM More reviews by jamiemp

I agree with others-I don't think this works at all for those with fair skin. It always looks like a miracle product when you see the commercial, but it's just SO obvious when I have it on my skin. It's very overpriced, in my opinion.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2007 10:23:00 PM More reviews by sarbabe3

I'm not a fan of this product. It was put on me a few weeks ago by a Sephora salesperson. It looked ok but it didn't look very natural on me. Because my friend that was with me said it looked great, I purchased it. I have VERY pale skin and even the lightest color looks to dark to me. It does not create miracles and does not cover my dark circles. Probably won't use OR purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2007 5:27:00 PM More reviews by aditswimbug

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try out a light foundation, one that would look natural and not clog more pores. Browsing the internet, I found tons of hype for Bare Minerals. Up to that point, I hadn't even heard of mineral makeup! I took a risk and ordered the starter kit off of Sephora. I watched the video and then proceeded to Swirl, Tap, and Buff my way to perfect skin. The first few times didn't turn out all that great. This is a makeup entirely different from any other, and requires different application techniques. Rule #1: Use only a tiny amount of product. Coverage is very buildable, so you can apply more as needed. Rule #2: Start slowly. I started by using the flawless application brush, and worked my way up to the kabuki once I had mastered the process. I love the full coverage look, now that I know how to handle it. Rule #3: When using the concealer brush, swirl and tap, and then dab it on blemishes before blending.
All in all, I absolutely adore this amazing foundation, warmth, and mineral viel. My face feels so soft and looks perfect. I haven't broken out, and even though I have semi-dry skin, with plenty of moisturizer this stuff doesn't flake. If you haven't tried it already, get down to Sephora and have them put it on you! It's free, what have you got to lose? I don't look like I'm wearing any makeup, and it covers my acne practically flawlessly. I do hate the packaging, as it always comes out of the sifter when travelling, but even that inconvience wasn't enough for me to take off a lippie! I love this stuff and can see myself repurchasing for the rest of my life!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2007 2:40:00 PM More reviews by lizbathory88

The products are first off technically not a powder, powder requires talc. It bare minerals and pure pigment smashed together. It gives great coverage but it's obvious who wears it due to the mica that cause pores to look large. I recommend that everyone interested to go to your local Sephora, Ulta or BE store and try it. You may find it works great for you or you may hate it! Those who love it are crazed about it. For me, I'm like this is nice, but I'd rather take the time to get my complexion to look how I want...not generic.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2007 7:06:00 AM More reviews by decemberstarlight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This foundation did not provide me enough coverage. I really had to keep applying with the handy kabuki brush. It also looked fake and gave my face this strange ashen tone. It did give a nice glow. The colors medium tan and tan were not golden enough for my golden skin tone. I don't think my skin improved and all from using this foundation. Actually, the condition of my skin worsened. These days I prefer creme foundations, the polar opposite of a foundation like this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2007 12:46:00 AM More reviews by eschudlich

review also posted below in another 'category'--i REALLY wanted to get this out there!! well, after using BE foundation for nearly 4 years i just stopped last week and my skin has not looked so clear in a LONG TIME thanks to you guys! i had really bumpy, clogged pores-particulary on either side of my mouth (all the places i was heavily using BM to cover the spots i got from trying to get rid of the bumps!) i switced cleansers, moisturizers, etc i dont know how many times and to no avail, my skin kept getting worse and worse and more and more congested. i NEVER thought in a million years it could be my foundation because its minerals and good for my skin, right? i would wash my face, go to bed and the bumps on my face would be smaller in the am, still there but not as pronounced. by the end of a full day of several applications of BM the bumps were REALLY noticeable but like i said i never thought it was the BM, even after a good long process of eliminating certain products, etc i still could not believe it was the BM, thought didn't even cross my mind! i read the reviews for BM on a lark last week and realized that clogged pores and even redness/itchiness was fairly common from using BM. about 2 months ago my mom bought BM and it turned her face red and itchy, i told her no way could it be the BM! again, its suppossed to be good for your skin-apparently not for everyone. in a matter of 4 days my face is completely clog free-i cant believe it. i asked the SA at sephora the other day if they had a lot of BM returns, and her response was, "its our best selling foundation." not exactly the question i asked her...jim jones "sold" alot of kool-aid at jonestown but that didnt mean it was good for everyone! lol! since they started selling BM at sephora i have NEVER seen any SA try any other foundation on ANYONE other than BM and i'm there like 1x a week every week! from the reviews here, it seems like BM agrees with about 50% of the people who try it. if you are breaking out or experiencing clogged pores and using BM, DO NOT assume that it can't be the BM foundation/concealor--contains bismuth (seems to be the culprit...) if it wasn't for makeup alley i probably would have continued using BM and trying every skincare product on the market to clear my skin only to upset it even more. this is my first review-i have like a gazillion other products i'd like to give my 2 cents on but really wanted to post this ASAP. i know this review is pretty redundant but i really wanted to make it very clear how brainwashed i was by BM marketing and maybe convince someone else if they are having skin problems it MAY be the BM. BTW-- i have switched to LM TM and am LOVING it! also now using her SC and loose powder-GREAT stuff and no clogged pores.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2007 9:51:00 PM More reviews by nanciixd

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This makeup still feels really heavy on me and its so cakey looking even though I don't apply on a lot. It made me break out really bad even though they claimed it doesn't. After I stopped using it my face cleared it really fast. STAY AWAY FROM THIS!