December 20, 2014 | 890 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2009 3:29:00 PM More reviews by heat1112

Horrible! Packaging is the only plus +. My skin turned into an oil slick within 30 minutes! I so wanted this to work, guess that it just isn't for me. So far I haven't found anything better than Revlon spa foundation, since I tried it. If you don't like this, TRY THAT! Everyone I know is using it now, coworkers, friends, mom, family. Don't waste your money on this!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2009 8:54:00 PM More reviews by deluxedame

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was hoping this would be my final quest in finding the perfect foundation, as I have read many good reviews about this foundation along with some not so good. I was expecting better packaging for a $40 foundation but the quality of the product itself I thought would hold up since the packaging lacks. I bought the MUFE primer in #0 and the foundation in #115. I first thought the coverage was really great, not exceptional out of this world, just pretty good. I later found that it was almost too heavy for me and I have oily/combination skin. I tried some tests where I would put my usual standby foundation that I used to wear and MUFE on the other side. The MUFE side looked gray and ashy and there was no definition to my actual skintone...it looked just blah and a grey hue......not impressive at all. The thing that I hated most about this is when I started to break out. No changes in my normal skin routine and started noticing strange white like pimples on either side of my cheeks. I have never had problems with acne on my cheeks...maybe once in a great while on my T zone, but not anywhere else. Since I quit using this foundation my skin cleared up and both products were sent back for a refund (not in any way worth the $40 for the foundation and $30 for the primer). Overpriced and over hyped from my personal negative experiences with both MUFE products.

***UPDATE: I tried this foundation again and did find that I like the coverage although it is definitely a bit much for daytime although wear it nights out. I believe that it does help to not wear it with the MUFE primer. I use Korres primer instead which doesn't cause breakouts. Still not sold on the primer, but I do like MUFE's HD powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2009 1:30:00 PM More reviews by HoneyHoneyNY

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I guess I'm going to have to jump on the bandwago of people who are very pleased with this foundation.

I usually wear Prescriptives mineral powder foundation, which has been working quite well for me. But as the winter wore on, and my skin got a bit dry and traumatized from the wind and cold, the powder wasn't sitting so comfortably on my skin. I went looking for a liquid foundation that wasn't too matte, and gave good coverage for the patchy skin I get in winter. I held off getting this for quite a while because it's a bit pricier than my usual choices.

I like several of the MUFE products, and I liked that there were several shades of this foundation that matched the level of deepness of my skin. I felt pretty confident about finding a match. That said, I tried something like 4-5 colors before I found an acceptable match. The ones that didn't work were close in the bottle, but still a bit off somehow. Also, this foundation seemed to oxidize and shift color a bit on my skin, so that I needed to get a sample and wear it the entire day to see how it actually looked. I adjusted my shade choice to compensate for the oxidation.

My match is #NE177 which was well outside of my original choices. It looks a bit funny when I first put it on (a touch too light, and neutral), but by the time I blend it, put on my finishing powder and leave the house, it's a perfect match. I use a combination of a brush and my fingers to apply. It gives my face a nice satiny finish, not too matte or too shiny, feels comfortable, and wears pretty well on my dry-ish sensitive skin. I set it with some e-tailer finishing power, which is about a third of the price of the HD powder, and better looking on my skin. I haven't really put it through a "sweat test" but it lasts all workday for me. I think I'll go back to my Px mineral powder when the weather gets hot though, I don't know how well the HD foundation would hold up in the humid and sticky.

It gives a decent amount of coverage, so that I don't feel the need to wear concealer under my eyes, or on my freckles and scars. I've been getting compliments on how pretty my face looks since I've been wearing it, but for someone used to seeing a bit of my skin through the mineral foundation, it gives a very "made up" look. It doesn't look mask-y or bad, but when I wear this foundation, I wear a full face of makeup. (For me full face is foundation, finishing powder, shadow (s), liner, mascara, blush, lip-stick and/or gloss.) I use it when I want a strong makeup look. If you're going for a fresh and natural face, this might not be for you. If you're comfortable with a more "groomed" looking face, then you might enjoy.

I love this foundation so far, and would definitely buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2009 6:17:00 PM More reviews by w1lk1ns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just got a sample of this at Sephora. The SA matched me with 118 which I thought was a bit dark but after about an hour it lightened up and matched perfectly. This foundation looks amazing. It is light coverage, with a natural finish. I feel like I am not wearing any foundation and it evened out my skin tone. I love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2009 5:19:00 PM More reviews by looweehse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

PROS: The feel of the foundation is great, it's light and you wouldn't really know you're wearing it. This is especially good considering the medium coverage it gives.
CONS: I got #110 which is the lightest shade, and was still too dark for me, and after a couple of hours it oxidised and turned orange.
It comes with a pump which would be great, that is, if the pump actually dispensed properly. My pump is very stiff and so I have to press down quite hard and can't actually control how much comes out resulting in me wasting a lot of product.
While it feels light, it looks heavy and obvious on the skin.
When I applied it with a MAC 190 and MAC 187 it looked uneven. But when I used my Illamasqua Highlighter brush to buff it in it looked better, but not great.
I have naturally oily skin, but this foundation made me look really dry. So I tried exfoiliating before hand and used various moisterisers. I used it with and without primer (MAC, Smashbox, Laura Mercier, NARS, L'Oreal) and it still looked dry and uneven.

Maybe I just expected more from all the hype it gets, but this was a big disappointment for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2009 1:34:00 AM More reviews by dreamcloud18

blahhhh...i realllly wanted this foundation to work for me :( i gave this foundation 3 lippies because although it did not work for me....it may work for someone else. I'll start with the pros: 1.) the consistency is nice and light especially for a liquid foundation so it really does not feel like you are wearing heavy makeup or a mask on your face 2.) the color choice is excellent and did not leave me with that dreaded demarcation line 3.) it did not oxidize or change color at all which is great bc most foundations turn an ickyyy orange or yellowish color eventually...now for the cons 1.) the price....at 40.00 i was expecting a foundation that would definitely be worth that price and that would far surpass any other foundation (clinique, mac, bare minerals, sephora, drugstore brands, everyday minerals, etc) that ive tried..but sadly it didn't. 2.) I have semi dry skin but my moisturizer usually fixes that right up...but no matter how hydrated or primed my skin was...this foundation dried out my skin and accentuated dry lines which made it obvious i had foundation on...the actual liquid itself isnt heavy or obvious but the way it settled into my skin accentuating the dryness is what made it obvious that i was wearing foundation. 3.) this possibly broke me out..but i have very sensitive skin so if your skin isnt that sensitive you could very well do fine with this product. 4.) it did not last very long on my face and the coverage started to fade away off my face even with a primer, setting powder, finishing mist..etc...I wasn't expecting a complete miracle with this product but i was expecting it to be better for my skin given it's price tag. I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting this product b/c it does have some important pros that most women look for in their foundation. What i would recommend is to get a sample before you buy it. Luckily sephora has a great return policy! I now useRevlon Colorstay foundation in the oily/combo formula ( i wear Buff in that and in MUFE HD i was 115 which are similar colors) and i love it...i wore it about 3 yrs ago and loved it then and i don't know why I ever strayed away from it. It is light, gives great non-obvious coverage, and has never broken out my super sensitive skin and you can't beat the price! All in all, I would definitely recommend the revlon colorstay fd over the MUFE hd b/c it is 30 dollars cheaper and does a better job :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2009 2:09:00 AM More reviews by manukatze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i am quite surprised because of the mediocre rating of this foundation. i have tried a lot foundations between high and low end brands and all i can say that this one is pretty good. i have normal to combo skin and nc 25-30 and wear the shade 125. i was matched by the mufe stylist in the shop, not sure if the colour is perfect for my skintone, at least i cannot notice any boarder on my jawline (i only apply it thinly). because i dont need a lot of coverage i aply a small amount of it starting in the areas of slight redness etc and blend it out, so i achieve a great natural look and for me it lasted all long my working day (7am till 7pm)...i probably like more my everydayminerals foundation because i think the ingredients are more natural than in the foundation (in general) and also i have become more a fan of mineral (powder) foundations where in the past i preferred the liquid ones more...after all this foundation for me does the whole job, no accentuating fine lines either, but in the end its only a question of taste- if you prefer powder you will probably could not give 5 points to this...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2009 1:49:00 AM More reviews by annmagee

I have tried a lot of foundations recently, and I have this because it doesn't settle into my pores and the color is perfect. I really loved the Tarte Anti-Aging foundation, but all of the colors were too yellow for me. I wear MAC NW 15 and the HD 115 was perfect for me. I also tried Dior nude foundation in 20, but that was also too yellow. Anyway, I have dry skin and need minimal to moderate coverage and this is perfect. I use my MAC 187 brush and then set with powder in my t-zone and I like the look; not too make-uppy. I also like the MAC Studio Scuplt, but the HD settles into my pores less and feels lighter. I'll update if anything changes.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2009 5:15:00 PM More reviews by jeangr

lots of shades to choose from and doesn't look cakey. I did notice quite a bit of shine in my t-zone after a few hours but over all a good product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2009 12:59:00 PM More reviews by doocaw

I have oily/combo skin and this is my HG foundation. I've been using it for about 5 months now and can only rave about it. The coverage is very good - hides all my redness and broken capillaries - but the finish looks incredible natural, like you're not wearing any foundation. I wear 118, a light warm-toned shade, and wear #30 in Mat Velvet and #20 in F+B. I wear MAC NC20-25.