April 19, 2014 | 1689 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2007 2:40:00 PM More reviews by lizbathory88

The products are first off technically not a powder, powder requires talc. It bare minerals and pure pigment smashed together. It gives great coverage but it's obvious who wears it due to the mica that cause pores to look large. I recommend that everyone interested to go to your local Sephora, Ulta or BE store and try it. You may find it works great for you or you may hate it! Those who love it are crazed about it. For me, I'm like this is nice, but I'd rather take the time to get my complexion to look how I want...not generic.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2007 7:06:00 AM More reviews by decemberstarlight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This foundation did not provide me enough coverage. I really had to keep applying with the handy kabuki brush. It also looked fake and gave my face this strange ashen tone. It did give a nice glow. The colors medium tan and tan were not golden enough for my golden skin tone. I don't think my skin improved and all from using this foundation. Actually, the condition of my skin worsened. These days I prefer creme foundations, the polar opposite of a foundation like this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2007 12:46:00 AM More reviews by eschudlich

review also posted below in another 'category'--i REALLY wanted to get this out there!! well, after using BE foundation for nearly 4 years i just stopped last week and my skin has not looked so clear in a LONG TIME thanks to you guys! i had really bumpy, clogged pores-particulary on either side of my mouth (all the places i was heavily using BM to cover the spots i got from trying to get rid of the bumps!) i switced cleansers, moisturizers, etc i dont know how many times and to no avail, my skin kept getting worse and worse and more and more congested. i NEVER thought in a million years it could be my foundation because its minerals and good for my skin, right? i would wash my face, go to bed and the bumps on my face would be smaller in the am, still there but not as pronounced. by the end of a full day of several applications of BM the bumps were REALLY noticeable but like i said i never thought it was the BM, even after a good long process of eliminating certain products, etc i still could not believe it was the BM, thought didn't even cross my mind! i read the reviews for BM on a lark last week and realized that clogged pores and even redness/itchiness was fairly common from using BM. about 2 months ago my mom bought BM and it turned her face red and itchy, i told her no way could it be the BM! again, its suppossed to be good for your skin-apparently not for everyone. in a matter of 4 days my face is completely clog free-i cant believe it. i asked the SA at sephora the other day if they had a lot of BM returns, and her response was, "its our best selling foundation." not exactly the question i asked her...jim jones "sold" alot of kool-aid at jonestown but that didnt mean it was good for everyone! lol! since they started selling BM at sephora i have NEVER seen any SA try any other foundation on ANYONE other than BM and i'm there like 1x a week every week! from the reviews here, it seems like BM agrees with about 50% of the people who try it. if you are breaking out or experiencing clogged pores and using BM, DO NOT assume that it can't be the BM foundation/concealor--contains bismuth (seems to be the culprit...) if it wasn't for makeup alley i probably would have continued using BM and trying every skincare product on the market to clear my skin only to upset it even more. this is my first review-i have like a gazillion other products i'd like to give my 2 cents on but really wanted to post this ASAP. i know this review is pretty redundant but i really wanted to make it very clear how brainwashed i was by BM marketing and maybe convince someone else if they are having skin problems it MAY be the BM. BTW-- i have switched to LM TM and am LOVING it! also now using her SC and loose powder-GREAT stuff and no clogged pores.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2007 9:51:00 PM More reviews by nanciixd

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This makeup still feels really heavy on me and its so cakey looking even though I don't apply on a lot. It made me break out really bad even though they claimed it doesn't. After I stopped using it my face cleared it really fast. STAY AWAY FROM THIS!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2007 3:29:00 PM More reviews by lego_blocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The key to getting a natural finish, rather than a dull powdery finish is your brush! I don't really recommend the BE Kabuki brush, but rather the flawless face brush. And it's important to make sure the brushes are clean!!

This foundation has my heart. And my face's heart. I couldn't ask for anything better.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/9/2007 1:48:00 PM More reviews by liligal04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used Bare Minerals for about a year now, thinking it was perfect for my sensitive skin. Since then, I've developed cystic acne on my chin but I just attributed it to stress. I did some research online and read about bismuth oxychloride, one of the ingredients of BM.. I think I'm breaking out because of the bismuth! I'm going to stop using BM to see if my skin clears up. I shop on the Sephora website for my make-up, and they usually list the ingredients for products, but I couldn't find them for BM! I wish I had found out sooner. I wouldn't recommend this product for people who are even the slightest bit acne-prone.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2007 9:40:00 PM More reviews by Lesley85

Update:
Total cr*p this stuff broke me out so bad, feels like my face is falling off. Like nasty nasty breakout and my face is so itchy from it
NEVER EVER REPURCHASE

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2007 9:46:00 AM More reviews by rjstar

Don't give up on this product too quickly, I've found it to be very adaptable.
I ordered the light/fairly light starter as my skin is quite translucent. I haven't worn foundation of any kind for years. I've got pretty nice skin apart from a few blemishes on my forehead and chin. My skin is smooth and has that nice dewy look in the summer that all makeup will kill. After going through the reviews, I decided I seem to have a face that could make this product work.

The first time I tried it on I was rather impatient and wanted it to be miracle that fixed my face. I applied it in natural light so I could really see what it did. Since it's the end of summer, and I have a decent tan, I applied fairly light with the flawless application brush. I followed the instructions correctly and didn't put too much on, but I was NOT impressed with the white sheen it gave me all over! I went to my mom and asked what she thought happened to my face. She said it looked fresh, like I just got a facial. But she is my mother, and obviously can't be trusted in this sort of thing. Now according to the instructions and reviews here on MUA, the mineral veil will diminish the shine, so I put that on. The shine was gone, but now it looked way too powdery! The only thing that got my hopes up was the warmth powder which is applied like a blush/bronzer. You only need a tiny tiny bit of this. It lessened the matte look I hate, but this look was much too powdery for my taste. On me, this is obvious makeup.
What I did like at this point was using the little concealer brush after the initial buffing on the foundation. It was great for lightening up around my eyes, and there really isn't a line where you stopped applying. I had a recovering pimple on my chin that day, it hadn't reached the surface, but it was a decent bump. The extra foundation I put on it made it so shiny it actually looked bigger!

Now you're wondering where I get 5 lippies out of this review.
Remember how I said it was adaptive? Adapt it! You have two shades of foundation and the warmth. When I added a little bit of the warmth to the fairly light (because the fairly light alone was too white) it matched perfectly! AND it wasn't shiny anymore! And I'm not using the mineral veil because it gives me a too powdery look. Less is more when you're applying. I use the little concealer brush first with my adapted shade to wherever my face needs it. Around my eyes, I use a little less warmth in case it looks too dark. I use just the tiniest bit to even it all out with the flawless application brush, and then apply a little warmth again in the manner originally instructed on the dvd. Throughout application, make sure you tap all product off the outside of the brush, or it will come off too heavy.
As winter comes on and I get paler, I'll have to combine the colors differently, but I don't think I'll stop mixing at least a little bit of warmth in with the foundation. If it didn't come with warmth I'd probably be giving this product a 1. It says it expires a year from now, but we'll see about that, I don't think I'll have used it all by then. I don't go out much at night, but when I do, I'll just apply it with the baby kabuki all over in addition to what I've been doing.

As for the packaging, it's a bulky bummer but I don't know how else you'd package something that has to be applied like this. I'd suggest not holding the pan in your hand while applying, put it down to avoid any possible spillage.
When I first was pulling the sticker seal off mineral veil, the whole top sifter pulled off with it and I spilled some.

Oh and the starter kit also comes with a bare vitamins lotion you're supposed to apply beforehand, and I actually like this so far. It works kind of like serums I've tried before that really smooth out your skin. This one absorbs a hell of a lot better, but sometimes it stings a little. But they tell you to apply it before you moisturize, which doesn't work for me. I moisturize with aloe, and putting that on after stirs up the vitamins residue and leaves it visibly resting on my face.

Overall, I give it a high rating because it ended up working for me the way I expected it to and the way I want it to. It looks more natural as any makeup I've tried. It doesn't break me out or feel heavy when applied correctly. (that first application I put on too many layers and it did feel heavy like other foundations) It does accentuate any dry flakes of skin, but so does any other powder you've used. I worried about it caking up in wrinkles like other reviewers have mentioned, but that didn't happen to me at all. It is expensive, but I don't have a problem with the price, it's the only makeup I've bought in 6 months and it will last for awhile.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2007 7:16:00 PM More reviews by KarmaChameleon20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pros: doesn't break me out. feels clean, doesn't feel greasy or like you have foundation on. Lasts all day. Sheer coverage (that's a good thing for me but some people like heavier coverage)
Cons: the packaging. this is so not portable. the powder gets everywhere. do NOT wear black and then apply this...it'll end up all over you. I really hate the packaging but I'm gonna bear with it because b.e. makes my skin look better and feel better than any other foundation.
for reference: i have very fair skin and used b.e. in fair. my skin is normal to dry with very few breakouts and redness.
also, you need to make sure you're very moisturized and that it has sunk in before applying b.e. because in dry weather it can look cakey if you're not moisturized good enough.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/5/2007 5:59:00 PM More reviews by skagirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

What i liked: it gives my skin an even complexion. it looks fresh and smooth, (and first).

But i found more cons to this foundation. First of all, it was too "glowing." i know that is gives a glow, but it was almost metallic and left a whitish cast on my skin. Second, it left my face shiny and oily. even after i put on powder, the shine would come back within an hour. Also, i used the concealer brush and applyied it near my eyes, and it looked very cakey. It didnt cover up blemeishes or redness enough, too. Also, BE has the worst color selection. Im too dark for Medium, but too light for Tan. And i am not going to waste my time and money by mixing two shades together. Also, the packaging is a mess. Powder was all over the place.

So basically, at first it seemed like a cool foundation that left my skin almost flawless looking, but after some time, i realized this isnt the foundation that suits my needs. I rather have a matte, full coverage foundation that doesnt make my face look shiny and cakey.