August 29, 2014 | 1855 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2007 9:49:00 AM More reviews by Nixxi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Everytime I see this demonstrated on QVC I want to buy it, they make it look and sound so great. In reality however I find it the exact opposite. I purchased this in Medium Beige and it felt like an inferior product when compared to Philosophy Airbrushed Canvas. They made me look really shiny and toward the end of the day it went all patchy and looked terrible. I feel there are so many other MMU out there and BE is overpriced and overhyped. They need to step up their game and bring out a better quality product to compete with the rest of the MMU as it is becoming an increasingly popular makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2007 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Verelai

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My best friend's daughter - in her mid-twenties - absolutely adores BE and certainly had me sold. I had a BE makeup artist use it on me, and the results were astonishing; I dislike liquid foundations for their lack of staying power, creasing, and the unnatural, mask-like finish (my skin is difficult to match, being a light gold - very yellow and somewhat uneven).

The makeup artist used the light/fairly light, but added concealer and a finishing powder. My skin appeared flawless, even under harsh natural and artificial (fluorescent) light - no small accomplishment for someone my age. Of course, I bought the kit. I also have an Everyday Minerals free sample kit, which includes a concealer (Light Intensive), which matches my skin very well.

Ultimately, I found the BE difficult to apply at first, but with some practice, am doing better. The "less is more" - ie, the less one uses, the better the coverage - seems counterintuitive, but is true. The brushes (Buki, medium coverage, concealer) are effective and comfortable to use. And the primer does help prep. the skin. A few negative points: the colours are limited, the light/fairly light kit is not ideal for my skin tone, and there is no concealer nor finishing powder (Mineral Veil) included. I would rather no "Warm" all over colour and only one foundation with the inclusion of a concealer and Mineral Veil. Regardless, it is an excellent price. And I am fortunate in that my sensitive skin does not react.

So I can use BE, but with the Everyday Minerals Intensive Light concealer; the latter compensates for the slightly off colours.

Beware, though, any flakes: exfoliate first, as BE will exaggerate peeling skin. I have good skin from genetics, but also take care of it. I wash with MD Forté III (20% glycolic acid) and follow with MD Forté III cream (30% glycolic acid), with Neostrata Wrinkle Repair around the eyes. Once or twice per month I use a Neostrata exfoliation kit and take salmon oil caps. daily. A total sunblock (40/50 SPF) is essential. With this regime, my skin is not sufficiently irritated to peel. Using my full strength tretinoin gel is out now - my skin peels like mad and feels inflamed, which makes BE a useless disaster.

I do enjoy mineral makeup - and since using it, I am much more often mistaken for being in my late twenties or early thirties, even by people in that age group! I am often referred to as "Madamoiselle", not "Madame", to which I am ambivalent. Slightly disrespectful, considering my age, but complimentary. Weird.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2007 2:35:00 PM More reviews by babydolltrish

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am sooooo torn on this stuff! I bought it years ago on QVC...and i liked it, then because I am so fickle... I started using something new, and forgot about it. Then I saw an ad in a magazine for it, and decided to try it again, only this time, noticed that it sometimes made my face a bit itchy, (especially when i was hot) and seemed to speckle on my nose where my pores are larger at about midday. So I quit using it again, and went back to my standby (MK cream foundation). My sis-in-law bought it and her skin looked awesome! So again, I began my affair with BE and started using the foundation again which leads me to the present......i am mixing medium beige and light (i need the yellow undertones for redness) and am liking it again. I love the "glowy" look it gives, and the feeling of nothing at all, i still get a little itchy if sweating at all, but i deal with it. I just wish it came in a pressed form with a sponge for touch ups on the nose area. But of course that goes against their philosophy doesn't it? Well I suppose we are in bed together again for now......we shall see how it ends up! :o)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2007 12:17:00 AM More reviews by amdull

I really wanted to see what all the hype was about these bare escentuals products. So many people said it has done wonders for their skin...and since I am a cosmetic junkie...I said why not? My overall opinion was that it gives relatively good coverage...however it doesn't give me a glowy finish that I usually like. Also, I don't feel it covers blemishes well at all ( I rarely break out, but when I do..I would like to see them completely covered). I really wear this alot during the summer and its fantastic to work out in. I will buy it again for those two reasons,

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2007 11:28:00 PM More reviews by chrissy14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have breakouts on my chin and this product helps cover my breakouts and make them less noticeable. I mean i dosnt cover them all the way but it takes away the redness.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2007 10:27:00 AM More reviews by lovemedina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

BE foundation is the BEST foundation I have ever used. It is never cakey, it never creases, it does not rub off and it lasts all day. It does not LOOK like I have any foundation on at all. I will say that now that I have been using it for some time and have experimented, the idea of” less is more” when using this product definitely holds true. When I first started using it I was using way too much thinking it couldn’t possibly cover with the amount suggested, but I was wrong. I have learned the layering technique of using only a little amount of the different products available to achieve flawless looking skin. The only complaint that I would have (and this is for all BE products) is that the sifter allows too much powder to collect in the top of the pot so if you are not careful it can get messy. I must say I am in LOVE with BE products.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2007 10:06:00 PM More reviews by pixiesdust13

I have been using my SKII spray foundation for months now and yes, it is my HG. However, it was getting a little too costly and I'm suffering from a bad breakout spell now... so I thought BE and my complexion would make great allies in my breakout war. Oh yeah, I'm taking dance classes four days a week and the sweat and chemicals just might team up against my complexion. I was about to give up on BE when I had a slight orange mask-like cast on my face and exaggerated dryness and bumps to go along, however I talked to a Sephora rep and she helped me out. First off, I returned the kit because the light was waaay too dark and I prefer to use my own bronzer, concealer brush and powder brush (all from Sephora) instead. So I bought the $25 full size fairly light 1.2 and juice beauty's tinted spf moisturizer (comparable to Clinique's tinted superdefense) and I'm a new born believer. I apply my juice beauty moisturizer (let it soak in), then my JB tinted spf, use my concealer brush to cover up my bumps and imperfections and then dip my powder brush in the foundation and lightly buff it in. I do like this better than everyday minerals (maybe I never found the right color). I just have to be careful, because if I apply too many coats I can look cakey. So hopefully when my acne goes away I will like this stuff even better. P.S. I love the "meet the browns" eye shadow kit and the gold eyeshadow

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2007 3:44:00 AM More reviews by MelissaAnnDurham

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used Bare Minerals for about a year, but recently stopped because I am so sick of it getting EVERYWHERE. However, the makeup did what it is supposed to do- it provided great coverage for my splotchy, red combination/sensitive skin. I even used it on my wedding day in combination with Aura Science Recoup cream, and my pictures turned out wonderfully. It might have also been the "blushing bride glow," but I had so many compliments that day on how great my skin looked. Having people tell me that was a great feeling, because I have always had rosacea (spelling?) and NO ( I repeat: NO!) foundation or powder other than this product has been able to let me have the flawless, glowing skin I've always wanted.
As I previously mentioned, I stopped using this product about a month ago, not because it wasn't working but because it makes such a huge mess. I tried everything I could to contain the mess- using it in the bathtub, putting down a big towel, etc- but I have bad allergies, and so does my husband, and the foundation powder stuff just seems to stick and cling to EVERYTHING- I had a huge beige ring around my sink forever! Also, I have to wear a white shirt to work, so messy makeup that I can't touch up without a problem is a no-no. I would for sure return to using this product if they would put it in a dispenser similar to the push-button ones that Almay and Maybelline are now using, though.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/16/2007 2:03:00 AM More reviews by katield

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Very meh. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. It does what any foundation is supposed to do and doesn't do it particularly well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2007 4:11:00 PM More reviews by rpgoodwin

Bare Minerals was a failed experiment for me. I have oily skin with large pores and it just looked bad on me - by the time I put on enough to cover flaws and redness I looked all powdery. It didn't last well and quick retouches are impossible. It was such a huge, messy, time-consuming ordeal to put on and WAY expensive once I bought the powder, concealer, mineral veil, brushes, etc. etc.
Most damning of all, though - it gave me terrible cystic acne. I mean the big painful red mounds that last for months and have to be lanced and extracted by a dermatologist. All the bare minerals products do this, even the Primer. Boo Hiss.