October 21, 2014 | 2065 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2007 8:00:00 PM More reviews by BelleDeCrecy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a lot of hype! I tried BE at Sephora, but this stuff makes my skin look dirty and gray. It was impossible to get a good color match for my BB 4.5-5 MAC NC-43 complexion. I don't know how anyone can apply it evenly to get a natural look. When I was a teenager there was a similar product that came in a small earthen jar-- equally yucky.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2007 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Fistik

I honestly fail to understand what all the hype is about. I was extremely disappointed with bare minerals - I purchased the medium starter kit about a month and a half ago and:

1) The coverage is terrible, which says a lot, because I don't even need much coverage! (Praise the lord for momma's genes).

2) I'm not a huge fan of the colour match; I understand that it's supposed to "melt" into your skin and automatically become the right colour, but I found that it was still didn't have the right undertones and this of course, throws off the whole look.

3) It does absolutely nothing for my combination skin. The lady at the counter said that it works best for people with oily skin (since I explained to her that my skin was mostly oily) - yet it has absolutely NO shine control power, and made the drier parts of my skin look even drier than before.

4) People should NOT get thrown off by the words "mineral" "all natural", and other such garbage. Here's why:

"Quite frankly, I think mineral makeup is just a genius marketing plan -- a new way of selling women the same ingredients that technically have been in makeup for years," says dermatologic and pharmaceutical chemist Ben Kaminsky. "Mineral makeup can cause problems the same as any other preparations can cause problems. It's not purer; there's no scientific proof of that," he says.

That's because within the brands that claim "pure mineral" formulations, there is still another category breakdown -- those that contain an arguably "natural" mineral known as bismuth oxycholoride, and those that do not. A pearlizing agent that gives mineral makeup that "candlelight glow," bismuth oxychloride is a mineral, but it's not found in the earth. Bismuth is a byproduct of lead and copper processing. Bismuth oxychloride is also frequently used to fill or "bulk up" or bind products, says Adams, and some say it comes with a heavy price.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/the-lowdown-on-mineral-makeup

My skin isn't all that sensitive, but BE actually made me break out! I haven't had a breakout in years, and I have changed absolutely nothing else in my routine, so I can definitely pinpoint the source of the problem here. People should absolutely not be surprised if their skin reacts to this product - it may be "mineral", but that doesn't always translate to wholesome goodness for the skin.

I'm going back to my clinique stay-matte sheer powder. :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2007 4:01:00 PM More reviews by Liz66

I wore Bare Mineral for a long time; I have to say that I had to use MUCH more product than what Leslie shows in her demo. Also, it made the pores on my nose look huge, so I had to kind of "fill in" with a primer. Mostly it was okay, but sometimes my skin looked a bit dry. BUT...I was in Saks recently and was persuaded to have a mini makeover at the Armani counter...WOW!! So, my bare minerals are put away... I have a ton of it, too...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2007 3:47:00 PM More reviews by jmr1450

I fell in love with BE when I first purchased the starter kit, I used it up and decided to get the full size products. After a while, the time I had to put into it every morning just became too much for the lack of coverage. I would have to touch up every hour or so. It made my skin very dry and blotchy, as well. I do like their eye shadows and lip gloss though. The other thing was that I would find powder residue all over my bathroom sink and mirror and had to wipe down my counter every morning. I don't think it is worth the hassle when you don't look any different after you put the makeup on. I started using Everyday Minerals and I don't have any problems and I don't have to touch up at all during the day.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2007 3:35:00 PM More reviews by geanie11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really wanted this to work for me as it does for others. but i just dont have the skin for it. It really makes my pores look a lot bigger and doesnt cover up my acne to well if its bad. It also looks a little shiny on me at times and not a large color selection.Can be a little messy to use but thats how mineral makeup is. I would not get this again, but think it would work good on someone with nice smooth skin, just not good for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2007 11:13:00 AM More reviews by waterfreak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I first tried Bare Escentuals when my sister came to visit and then I bought the starter kit at Sephora. I then invested two hundred more dollars in the concealer, larger mineral veil, several more brushes eyeliners, and several eyeshadows. The eyeshadows average about $13 each. For the first month, I didn't notice any problem at all with the foundation. I did love the coverage, however it left wierd shiny patches on my skin and made my pores look like craters. I have never even noticed my pores before with any other makeup. Then the itching started. It was a burning stinging itching, very annoying and unpleasant. I never had any reaction to the eyeshadows or the eyeliners. I finally found out what was causing the itching- BISMUTH! I don't know why BE decided to use a known skin irritant in their product. If it weren't for the itching, I would be completely devoted to it. The coverage was excellent, (with the exception of the wierd shiny areas) and the eyeshadows are excellent. I have stopped using the BE comepletely, except for the eyeshadows and eyeliners since I have no problem or reaction to them. I have tried a few more brands of mineral makeup that does not have Bismuth in it and I am happy to say that I have found two awesome brands: Joppa and Alima. Both companies have excellent customer service and dirt cheap samples so you can find your perfect color match. And best of all, great coverage and NO BISMUTH and no itching! And their prices are much better than BE. Check them out and you will be very happy to find an alternative that I believe is far superior and worth just as much as BE, but is less expensive. If you want to find the authentic BE eye shadows and other BE products and get tons of samples that last for at least a month each for next to nothing, send me a message and I'll tell you where I get mine from, without shelling out $13 each and more to BE.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2007 10:30:00 AM More reviews by NatalieK

I really don't know why people are giving this all the negative reviews!! I just got my Bare Minerals starter kit (in Light/Fairly Light) yesterday, and I LOVE IT!!! It covers all my blemishes, matches my skin tone perfectly, looks completely natural and lasts forever. It's the most incredible makeup ever. I have to admit, when the beauty consultant at Sephora put it on my face, I was a little dissapointed, but I went ahead and bought it anyway. Then, when I came home, I tried it with the full coverage Kabuki brush (the consultant had used the flawless face brush) and I was SOOO impressed!!! The kabuki brush made all the difference. I would DEFINITELY recommend this to ANYONE with combination skin!!

My only complaint is the size of the foundations/warmth/mineral veil. I'm not saying they don't give you enough, because with two foundations, a blush and a mineral veil, that's definitely not the case!! But it does make it kind of hard to get the product onto the brush. That is my ONLY complaint about this product. It's just a really fantastic find, and I'm SOO glad I bought it!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2007 12:15:00 PM More reviews by ErinShepard

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really really really wanted to buy this product and I was so looking forward to testing it at Sephora... so it was very much to my dismay to look at myself in the mirror once the SA was done putting it on.

All of my pores were magnified as if I was looking through a microscope and the blush color was a horrible shade of rusty orange.... it was so frightening that I had a mini meltdown and made her remove it immediately.

In addition to the orangeness and the humongous pores, I did not like the masky look of the product on my face and obviously did not purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2007 9:35:00 AM More reviews by Ash53185

I began using Bare Minerals last month and I love it! My shade is "Light" and it matches perfect. I have combination skin with acne scars and blemishes, and the coverage is great. When I first began using Bare Minerals, I was a little disappointed because I wasn't able to cover my scars and blemishes. I was using the full coverage kabuki brush. I'm not sure if the brush is just too stiff, but it wasn't working for me. I switched to the flawless application brush and the concealer brush (came in the kit), and now I have full coverage. I do NOT use the bareVitamins before applying the foundation. I was told by a Sephora consultant that it has a tendency to cause breakouts. My face hasn't broke out in quite awhile, so I don't want to risk it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2007 8:54:00 PM More reviews by yvy1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OK, this product, at first, was good. I really liked it. Good coverage, without the feel of too much makeup on. I thought it was the greatest. Somehow, after a few months of using it I developed an itch right under both my eyes. Then the itch turned into dry patches, flaking, red bumps. I didn't realize it was the makeup. I stopped using all my creams, but it was still there.

After a few visits to the dermatologist I realized that I would flare up on Sundays, and I mostly wore Bare Minerals on Saturday nights. Long story short, there's an ingredient in there that's bad for your skin! I did lots of research. Googled "Bare Minerals Allergic Reaction" and found so much information! Women that were going through the same thing. I stopped using it and it was a slow healing, but it didn't flare up again. After 3 months the redness and swelling was gone. I am now in search of any other mineral makeup that does not contain Bismuth Oxychloride.