March 1, 2015 | 1240 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous Original

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2008 12:31:00 PM More reviews by waterfreak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was telling a friend of mine how disappointed I was with this mascara, and how badly I wanted it to work. She told me to try to "get it ready" by letting the tube sit upright in a cup of warm/hot water before using it. I was like.....huh? So I take it in the shower with me and let the entire tube sit in a cup of hot water with the water line just below where the cap screws off, wondering why exactly I'm showering with a tube of mascara....anyway,when I'm out of the shower, I put on my makeup right away. Time to apply this mascara one last time before I chuck it in the trash. I opened the tube and WHOA..no clumpy mess at all! Is that all it needed was a warm swim to make the formula super creamy and so easy to apply? It went on great with no clumps this time and actually, it looked pretty great. I was really really happy. So, when ever I feel this is a little too dry or thick, I'll take it for its morning dip and see if it still performs. Although I have to admit, having to get my mascara warmed up in the morning is a pretty wierd thing, but if it continues to perform like it did today, I'll keep doing it. This was a really interesting tip, and I only wish I had tried it with my other expensive mascaras before I threw them out, I could have gotten maybe another month or so out of them? Who knows- but overall, now I'm happy with this mascara and am starting to like it.

Original Review:

I've been trying to find a replacement mascara since my favorite Flextencils has been discontinued. I decided on a whim to pick up several different brands based on reviews here. I've already played around with Lancome (which I still love for mascaras) Chanel, Dior, Kiss Me, etc etc etc. The first time I tried this, the brush was very clumpy on one end every time I removed it from the tube. I never "pump" mascara, so I knew it had to be the product itself. Within 3 days, it seemed to dry out really fast. I swear, only the first day's application was any good. Every day after that it got worse and worse. The mascara seemed to dry out overnight. I took it back to replace it thinking I got an old batch, but the next one was the same. It was okay for my lashes, but it left small dots on the end of each lash which looked very wierd and not appealing at all, it looked exactly like what is was- low-end mascara. Also, whenever this is used with a primer, it does seem to help for volume, but without a primer it clumps much faster and the brush seems eternally dry. Definitely won't repurchase. Now I know why I pay $25+ for other mascaras, because they deliver. Considering I'm buying a new mascara every 3 months, this Loreal would be comparable if I replaced it every month, but when it doesn't even last a week without turning to chunks of coal, I won't even bother. I'll keep searching for something else.

33 out of 36 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 1:59:00 PM More reviews by sadiemay

I might stray from this to try other new gimmicky mascaras but I ALWAYS come back to this one. It is truly my Holy Grail. I buy it in water-proof bc the regular does flake on me. It darkens, lengthens, & thickens beautifully. It lasts all day and always looks good. I don't know what I'd do if they ever stop making this.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 3:14:00 AM More reviews by modestgoddess

I got this on sale for 3 dollars but I would pay more for it again! I have very long lashes, but they aren't thick or dark, and this mascara definately brings them to their full potential. It makes my lashes look super long and thick, and I can wear this without liner and my lashes still look great. The only complaint is that it sometimes has clumps, but they are really nothing compared to what you get with this awesome drugstore product. Also it is very easy to get off with makeup remover, but will not smudge during the day much like a waterproof mascara, but without the cakey, dry feeling of a waterproof mascara.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by XcolorMEc0utureX

the only reason this gets a 2 is because the blackest color is true black, not gray.
this mascara weighed down my lashes to the point where curling my lashes was just a waste of time..
It had a funky cow menour smell, idk if the package was just old or...?
it did nothing for me... it felt like a lash tint and that was TOTALLY not what I was going for.
Telescopic is my HG. Try that out.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/15/2008 5:56:00 PM More reviews by jenzene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

L'Oreal Voluminous mascara doesn't curl my lashes, but it definitely does lengthen AND thicken! I love it! What I end up doing is putting one layer of Maybelline Great Lash to set the curl, followed by one layer of this mascara (in Very Black) to give my lashes that WOW! effect.

[update] It FLAKES and SMUDGES like crazy! L'Oreal Telescopic is much better. It still smudges, but not nearly half as much as Voluminous Waterproof.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2008 2:09:00 PM More reviews by kmc11

Great for volume and not much else...Max volume requires maximum amount of coats but that's when it gets tricky because more coats encourages clumps...Still, I will use this everyday until I find a product of this caliber that has great lengthening powers!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2008 12:33:00 AM More reviews by barkercakes

I have spent so much money, and time trying to find a really really awesome mascara. And never shop for products in drugstores. But tried this because i was desperate, and i love it! the best thing about it is that it doesnt harden, so you can keep applying it if you want. I swear by this stuff and will never buy anything else. try it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by princess_savannah

As far as mascaras that you can purchase at your local drugstore, Voluminous is by far the best, with Max Factor's 2000 Calorie being a close second in my opinion. Having tried about every mascara on the market, I can say that I get the least clumps with Voluminous, and the brush that they give is outstanding. My eyes look larger and more open when I use this mascara, and a little truly does go a long way. Also, I noticed that a tube of Voluminous will last me longer before it thickens and becomes unusable. Most mascaras are about average, but Voluminous by L'oreal is definitely above the mark. I always keep a tube of this in my makeup bag.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2008 10:53:00 AM More reviews by sanckensmom

I Have bought this in waterproof and non waterproof....I just bought the waterproof this week with the straigh brush....These are my opinions: The mascara is so super thick that I had to waste gobs of it on toilet paper to dry it out some...it was still so liquidy that it splattered a little upon application which ruined my make up because it is waterproof, and made it hard to remove without messing up my foundation (I do foundation before mascara as I don't want to get my estee lauder double wear accidently on my lashes). Lastly, I think this mascara has a chemical smell and irritates my eyes slightly. I can actually feel something unpleasant in my eyes while wearing it and I am almost certain it is this mascara because Lancome's mascara irritate my eyes and they are owned by the same company. Right now, the only mascara that I have bought twice is Max Factor's waterproof volume couture shocking. It is thin in application but makes my lashes long but not thick...so I usually top it off with Dior Show, Lash blast, maybelline lashout....to give it some thickness.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2008 10:22:00 AM More reviews by psforever

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG mascara! I have honestly tried SO many other mascaras both low and high end but I always find myself coming back to this one. I absolutely love it. It makes my lashes look so full and thick. I have long lashes but they're thin so I need a mascara that really thickens then and Voluminous does the job. I love love love it!