L'Oreal Voluminous Original

3.6

Aqua/water/eau, paraffin, cyclopentasiloxane, cera alba/beeswax/cire d'abeille, stearic acid, triethanolamine, acacia senegal gum, carnauba/carnauba wax/cire de carnauba, palmitic acid, dimenthiconol, hydroxyethyl-cellulose, panthenol, imidazolidinyl urea, sodium polymethacrylate, methylparaben, PEG/PPG- 17/18 dimethicone, 2-oleamido-1,3-octadecanediol, propylparaben, simethicone, BHT, polyquaternium-10. MAY CONTAIN /- CI 77492, CI 77499, CI77491/iron oxides; CI 77007/ultramarines; CI 77891/titanium oxide; CI 77266/black 2; mica; CI 75470/carmine; CI 77510/ferric ferrocyanide; CI 77288/chromium oxide greens; CI 77289/chromium hyrdoxide green

on 2/24/2008 5:23:00 PM

You know - I like this! I got this ridiculously cheap at Wegmans on sale for 3.50 (ps to anyone who wants great makeup deals - Wegmans is the best when it comes to their sales and regular prices!) I usually have extremely long lashes (people ask me if they are fake all of the time) However I have really small eyes so I feel like I have to give my lashes the maximum push to make sure I look like I am awake! I also have red hair, so my lashes get lighter at the top and I need a good mascara to 'fill' them in. I purchased this in blackest black because I feel like black mascara makes the whites of your eyes look whiter. I applied two coats of this and I was impressed with how soft it was to apply. This mascara does not get hard and stiff like so many other formulas - it just glides on nice and thick. I'm a big fan for less than four bucks!

on 2/24/2008 4:36:00 PM

My favorite drugstore mascara! I have shortish and sparse lashes and this is the best at making them thick. I don't generally look for length in mascara because for me length isn't as dramatic as volume, so I can't say whether it's a good lengthener as well. I don't curl my eyelashes, but I find that if I really wiggle the wand at the base and do several coats (I like drama!) then my lashes have a pretty natural curve that holds well. I don't know if it's the shape of my eyes or what, but I have real problems applying mascara to curled eyelashes and I can never get the same effect, so I always go without. Also, by really getting at the base it's like insta-eyeliner! I don't use this on my bottom lashes because it flakes a lot then, but otherwise the flakiness is about average. It doesn't flake for several hours, but if I put it on in the morning it definitely is flaking by the time I go to bed 16 hours later. It comes off pretty easily with face wash (I use Clean and Clear sensitive skin foaming face wash) which is great. The formula is pretty wet, wet enough that you can do several coats without clumping or drying, but not so wet that it will smear all over your eyelids. The brush I think is one of the best volumizing brushes I've found because it is just thick enough, but not so thick I can't get at the smaller lashes in the corner. Plus, you're definitely not going to break the bank with this one. Given how often you should dispose of mascara (every three months) it's a lot more affordable than department lines and for me at least it does the same job.

on 2/23/2008 2:31:00 PM

I can't believe how good this mascara turned out to be. I still can't. I have used almost every brand, Dior, Clinique, Lancome, Chanel, Shiseido, MAC, Estee Lauder, name it, I have used them all, and when I bought this Loreal one, I was only hoping that it would hold my other mascaras on rainy days since I got the waterproof one. But WOW, after I put it on (alone), only 2 layers, my mom who usually does not invest any of her cash on makeup saw me and said: " Good lord, what happened on your lashes? Why do they look so scary like fans?" I went lollol. She didn't even say that with my Lancome. I cannot say this is as good as Dior Show, although their performance is dangerously close, but I do have to say that with this price, this mascara is exceptionally worthwhile. It does clump just a little, but with another swipe the clump goes away. I never wipe any of my mascara with tissue, for the sanitary reasons and also because all my mascaras are so expensive. It lengthens, thickens, and adds dramatic colour to my medium length but light-coloured lashes. I guess this will become a staple in my makeup collections from now on. ^^

on 2/22/2008 11:45:00 PM

For those who enjoy clumpy lashes then go for it! you'd be amazed because I have really short thin lashes and this makes it so thick and clumpy... imagine on anyone else you're eyelashes would end up sticking together. I only bought this because a friend of mine used it in carbon black and she said it worked amazing for her but what she didn't tell me was that everytime she used it she had to wipe the brush first before applying. I thought.."what a waste of mascara..i'd rather use something with less of an hassle" This mascara is a waste of money and after maybe a week of using it.. the brush gets really disgusting and it makes your lashes stick together.

end of story.. will NOT buy again

on 2/22/2008 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After reading many of the positive reviews, I have decided to try out this mascara myself. I must say I am really, really in to the carbon black version of the mascara. The color is rich .
Also, definitely lengthens and thickens dramatically (I have very thin eyelashes) without making my eyelashes clumpy or spidery.

I got this mascara for 7 dollars and I think it is worth every penny.

I will DEFINITELY stick to this mascara!

Volume : 5/5
Length: 4/5
Curl : 4/5

on 2/21/2008 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

this is an amazing mascara! it feels so comfortable and is easy to remove. its not liquidy like some mascaras that i hate such as great lash and stuff. It adds volume to my lashes and holds curls

on 2/18/2008 1:15:00 PM

Honestly, I've tried mascara upon mascara upon mascara. I have a huge problem with mascaras flaking when I wear them, and making it look like I have a black eye! I also hate the seriously clumping look, which is another issue for me. I wear contact lenses, and so many mascaras irritate my already sensitive eyes, and will make them water creating more of a mess.

I have NEVER had this problem with this mascara! I was surprised to find something I like so much out of a drugstore brand -- who knew? I wear this every day and have gotten ridiculous compliments on my lashes, the most frequent is "are those your real eyelashes?". And I'm pleased to say -- yes they are! They're just enhanced beautifully with this mascara.

I never have any problems with this mascara flaking as I do with so many others, and also it doesn't seem to dry out quickly, which is a problem I've had with SO MANY other mascaras (Urban Decay Big Fatty, for example).

I would recommend this to anyone with sensitive eyes -- it's worth a shot for the inexpensive price and great quality of the product!

on 2/18/2008 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I was telling a friend of mine how disappointed I was with this mascara, and how badly I wanted it to work. She told me to try to "get it ready" by letting the tube sit upright in a cup of warm/hot water before using it. I was like.....huh? So I take it in the shower with me and let the entire tube sit in a cup of hot water with the water line just below where the cap screws off, wondering why exactly I'm showering with a tube of mascara....anyway,when I'm out of the shower, I put on my makeup right away. Time to apply this mascara one last time before I chuck it in the trash. I opened the tube and WHOA..no clumpy mess at all! Is that all it needed was a warm swim to make the formula super creamy and so easy to apply? It went on great with no clumps this time and actually, it looked pretty great. I was really really happy. So, when ever I feel this is a little too dry or thick, I'll take it for its morning dip and see if it still performs. Although I have to admit, having to get my mascara warmed up in the morning is a pretty wierd thing, but if it continues to perform like it did today, I'll keep doing it. This was a really interesting tip, and I only wish I had tried it with my other expensive mascaras before I threw them out, I could have gotten maybe another month or so out of them? Who knows- but overall, now I'm happy with this mascara and am starting to like it.

Original Review:

I've been trying to find a replacement mascara since my favorite Flextencils has been discontinued. I decided on a whim to pick up several different brands based on reviews here. I've already played around with Lancome (which I still love for mascaras) Chanel, Dior, Kiss Me, etc etc etc. The first time I tried this, the brush was very clumpy on one end every time I removed it from the tube. I never "pump" mascara, so I knew it had to be the product itself. Within 3 days, it seemed to dry out really fast. I swear, only the first day's application was any good. Every day after that it got worse and worse. The mascara seemed to dry out overnight. I took it back to replace it thinking I got an old batch, but the next one was the same. It was okay for my lashes, but it left small dots on the end of each lash which looked very wierd and not appealing at all, it looked exactly like what is was- low-end mascara. Also, whenever this is used with a primer, it does seem to help for volume, but without a primer it clumps much faster and the brush seems eternally dry. Definitely won't repurchase. Now I know why I pay $25+ for other mascaras, because they deliver. Considering I'm buying a new mascara every 3 months, this Loreal would be comparable if I replaced it every month, but when it doesn't even last a week without turning to chunks of coal, I won't even bother. I'll keep searching for something else.

on 2/17/2008 1:59:00 PM

I might stray from this to try other new gimmicky mascaras but I ALWAYS come back to this one. It is truly my Holy Grail. I buy it in water-proof bc the regular does flake on me. It darkens, lengthens, & thickens beautifully. It lasts all day and always looks good. I don't know what I'd do if they ever stop making this.

I got this on sale for 3 dollars but I would pay more for it again! I have very long lashes, but they aren't thick or dark, and this mascara definately brings them to their full potential. It makes my lashes look super long and thick, and I can wear this without liner and my lashes still look great. The only complaint is that it sometimes has clumps, but they are really nothing compared to what you get with this awesome drugstore product. Also it is very easy to get off with makeup remover, but will not smudge during the day much like a waterproof mascara, but without the cakey, dry feeling of a waterproof mascara.