August 20, 2014 | 1940 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 1 of 5 on 10/28/2007 7:40:00 PM More reviews by krazykhaled

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not getting the hype. First of all, it was hard to find a match for my skin. Either too light, too dark, most were too pink and the others were too orange. After blending two of them, and applying it, the skin on my forehead looked like it was peeling. The skin on my forehead is usually oily, and that had never happened to me with and other mu. Sleep with this on? I'm not sure I want to go out with this stuff on!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2007 3:28:00 PM More reviews by HeffnerMM

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Meh, so what about hype? Who cares about the purity or whatever? I could care less what is or is not in BE. I don't like their infomercials, and I don't think their product is meant for everyone- darker ladies and older ladies with dry, flakey skin. I do know that I like it. It doesn't hold back the oilies, but no foundation on the market does that for me. I don't care about the SPF since I use it in differing amounts every day. It does not make me itch or make me look shiny or shimmery. I can build coverage easily without it looking clumpy, but I can do this with pretty much any powder foundation. I can use it over my cream concealers and BE does not build up or wipe them away like a liquid of cream would. And my number one reason- it is FAST. I could use a compact powder foundation, if I found the right color, and I would have no problem with switching. At the moment I am loving BE and also Fyrinnae's mineral foundation. I see little to no difference between the two. I will probably not buy any more BE once my rather large supply dwindles, but if I swapped for it or I received it as a gift, I would use it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2007 9:45:00 AM More reviews by treyscrap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Please ignore the one lippie rating....It should really be a ZERO! have no idea why people seem to love this so much in magazines, and retail stores. I was really into mineral makeup for a couple years and tried many brands. This is hands-down THE WORST mmu I tried. The coverage was patchy at best and had absolutely no staying powder. Yes I used their kabuki and many others. Yes I tapped, swirled and buffed. Still the awful coverage faded off within a couple hours and left my face an itchy mess. This is one of the most incorrectly-hyped products I have ever seen! lol! It claims to make your skin better but it made mine sooo much worse!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2007 3:43:00 AM More reviews by doanniedoan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the starter kit and loved it and after I used it up I invested more money and bought another foundation. I think I only liked BE because it felt cleaner than the liquid foundations I was used to [I have oily skin] and I was new to mineral makeup and I, unfortunately, did not do any research beforehand. I have breakouts every now and then, nothing major, so I didn't think anything when I would get a pimple or two every now and then. Then I started noticing that after wearing my makeup all day, I would come home and have small whiteheads I guess?? on my cheeks. I would wash my makeup off and go about my business at home and within a couple of hours of washing my BE foundation off, the little whiteheads were GONE. I experimented with this and wore BE all day the next day, got the little pimples, washed my face, and they would be gone. Then the day after, I wore no makeup and did not get any pimples. Then the day after that I wore BE again and the same thing happened. I then did some research online and found bismuth oxychloride to be the culprit. BE really seems to work for some people but be careful and do some researching on mineral makeup before you purchase! I was so surprised BE irritated my skin because I would not consider my skin to be sensitive at all! I now use everyday minerals and the coverage is so much better and it does not irritate my skin. They have free sample kits [comes with 3 foundations, 1 face color/blush, 1 concealer] so you can find the perfect color and the samples are very generous. They also have great customer service [I always get my emailed questions answered within a day] and even though it's only available online, shipping is very fast! I've heard good things about other brands such as alima and lumiere as well so look into all of those as well!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2007 3:09:00 AM More reviews by hippodeem

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

awful awful. i hate it. it makes my skin so cakey, yucky , oily and i dont even have oily skin. arghh.,.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2007 11:49:00 PM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm allergic to almost everything in this line, but I applaud the creator for hitting the mark and offering the right thing at the right time. Its popularity has me baffled. The only people this looks good on is people who already have nice, smooth, poreless skin. Don't fool yourself if you don't. There are other products in this category that exceed it in quality and appearance. Everyday Minerals is a better buy and doesn't irritate like BE. Do the research if you want a mineral makeup - but remember: Natural isn't always better. Poison Ivy is natural.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/26/2007 9:59:00 PM More reviews by kim080464

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Alas, like other reviewer's here I was not impressed with bare escentuals. I just don't understand how some people totally love it and can make it work, while others hate it and can't get it to work for them. For a bit of background, I have tried all the methods of applying this foundation. I exfoliate on a regular basis and moisturize. I don't apply foundation for a good 25-30 minutes until my moisturizer sinks in. I used the full coverage kabuki and the handy buki. When those didn't work, I even bought the coveted smashbox # 19 brush(I think). That didn't even work. So then I tried the wet application for more coverage. No good. Then I was told you need to use bisque or summer bisque to conceal red areas, are you kidding me? That looked even worse. Now, I know that I can apply mineral make-up because I have found a brand that gives me good coverage without the effort of BE. Some people even claim that you need to do 4-5 light layers. Who has time to do that in the morning? Plus, the lasting power is non existent. One thing that I hate is when they demonstrate this product on QVC and the infomercials, they make it look so effortless and that the teeny bit of product they use will give you full coverage. I am here to say unless you already have perfect skin, BE is not for you. There are products from BE that I do love, like the buxom lips and the eyeshadows. I just wish they would try and make a better foundation. Plus, the bismuth oxy. is a big turn-off!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2007 8:00:00 PM More reviews by BelleDeCrecy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a lot of hype! I tried BE at Sephora, but this stuff makes my skin look dirty and gray. It was impossible to get a good color match for my BB 4.5-5 MAC NC-43 complexion. I don't know how anyone can apply it evenly to get a natural look. When I was a teenager there was a similar product that came in a small earthen jar-- equally yucky.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2007 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Fistik

I honestly fail to understand what all the hype is about. I was extremely disappointed with bare minerals - I purchased the medium starter kit about a month and a half ago and:

1) The coverage is terrible, which says a lot, because I don't even need much coverage! (Praise the lord for momma's genes).

2) I'm not a huge fan of the colour match; I understand that it's supposed to "melt" into your skin and automatically become the right colour, but I found that it was still didn't have the right undertones and this of course, throws off the whole look.

3) It does absolutely nothing for my combination skin. The lady at the counter said that it works best for people with oily skin (since I explained to her that my skin was mostly oily) - yet it has absolutely NO shine control power, and made the drier parts of my skin look even drier than before.

4) People should NOT get thrown off by the words "mineral" "all natural", and other such garbage. Here's why:

"Quite frankly, I think mineral makeup is just a genius marketing plan -- a new way of selling women the same ingredients that technically have been in makeup for years," says dermatologic and pharmaceutical chemist Ben Kaminsky. "Mineral makeup can cause problems the same as any other preparations can cause problems. It's not purer; there's no scientific proof of that," he says.

That's because within the brands that claim "pure mineral" formulations, there is still another category breakdown -- those that contain an arguably "natural" mineral known as bismuth oxycholoride, and those that do not. A pearlizing agent that gives mineral makeup that "candlelight glow," bismuth oxychloride is a mineral, but it's not found in the earth. Bismuth is a byproduct of lead and copper processing. Bismuth oxychloride is also frequently used to fill or "bulk up" or bind products, says Adams, and some say it comes with a heavy price.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/the-lowdown-on-mineral-makeup

My skin isn't all that sensitive, but BE actually made me break out! I haven't had a breakout in years, and I have changed absolutely nothing else in my routine, so I can definitely pinpoint the source of the problem here. People should absolutely not be surprised if their skin reacts to this product - it may be "mineral", but that doesn't always translate to wholesome goodness for the skin.

I'm going back to my clinique stay-matte sheer powder. :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2007 4:01:00 PM More reviews by Liz66

I wore Bare Mineral for a long time; I have to say that I had to use MUCH more product than what Leslie shows in her demo. Also, it made the pores on my nose look huge, so I had to kind of "fill in" with a primer. Mostly it was okay, but sometimes my skin looked a bit dry. BUT...I was in Saks recently and was persuaded to have a mini makeover at the Armani counter...WOW!! So, my bare minerals are put away... I have a ton of it, too...