April 17, 2014 | 1858 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by CarlyCut

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of those products that you THINK you really need, but until you buy it and try it (or just try it) you soon realize that you don't need it and never will. I think this product is supposed to be more of a cream eyeshadow, with a definite unnatural pigment. At first, Painterly seemed to match my skin perfectly, but in certain lights it looks noticeably pink/purple, especially if you look at swatches of it online compared to Bare Study.

Anyway, I thought this was a product that was supposed to intensify eyeshadows, but it really changes their undertone...completely. For instance I LOVE Urban Decay's Toasted, and it's a pinky taupe copper color, but with Painterly underneath, it turned into a purple-gray color. Not only did the color change bother me, but this made my eyelids look cakey and splotchy.

If you already put foundation and/or concealer on your eyes before you put on your eyeshadow (like me) then you REALLY don't need this product. If you love the color of your eyeshadows and don't want them to turn into cooler versions, then you really don't need this product.

If you don't wear anything on your eyelids and want to even out the skin on your eyelids, and if you have a pinkish skintone and don't plan on wearing eyeshadow over this, then I think this product is for you. But then again, you might as well use foundation to even out your eyelids; you can buy a whole bottle of decent foundation for the same price as this little jar, and find a color that will actually match your skintone (I don't know too many people who have pink/purple skin).

Other than that, I have no idea what these paint pots are supposed to be other than stand-alone cream eyeshadows in odd color choices. It seems like people have a thousand uses for Painterly, but I really think it sucks for what I was hoping it would do (intensify my eyeshadow colors). The only thing I would ever use it for is Halloween makeup or Day of The Dead makeup, and only because I have already bought it and it's just sitting on my dresser and I feel like I have to do SOMETHING with it!

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2012 6:35:00 PM More reviews by bailokaye

I don't know if I got a bad one of these or what. It was SO dry that when I tried to blend it out on my eyelid it just dissapeared. And not the 'good' dissapeared in the sense that it blended with my skintone and covered the darkness and veins on my lid. I was hoping this was what it would do, kind of like a concealer and eyeshadow base in one, but nope. Really dissapointed.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Painterly looks nice when first applied--very nude, perfect base for eyeshadow, but also good if you like have a natural, nude style. What I dislike about it is that by midday, it dries my eyelids out and makes them look very lizard-y and cracked. Not a good look at all. Wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 4:17:00 PM More reviews by ayling

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was recommended this by an SA who seemed to dislike my creased eyelids at the end of a long day :) I wasn't familiar with the paint pots and thought it was a base. So that's what I've been using it for -- to cover up veins and discoloration on my eyelids. It's quite subtle but when I look in the mirror, wow, my brown eyes pop! I love the flawless nude look, and other people have also commented on how "fresh" I look. The only thing is that I'm a NW25 and perhaps I should've bought a slightly warmer shade. I've been recommended soft ochre by a fellow MUAer (thanks Leila!), and I'll try that next. Expensive but overall, a good buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by ambdoll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love my Painterly Paint Pot! For me, it covers any veins or discolorations on my lids and provides a perfect base for my eyeshadows. It extends the amount of time that my eyeshadows last dramatically! I'm addicted to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2012 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Kcurb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have tried almost every highly rated eye primer on the market that I can think of (Too faced, UD, NYX, ELF, Mary Kay...) and this is hands down the best. I strayed from it for a while while I used TFSI and the NYX HD Primer, and those were pretty nice, but when I went back to this I realized how good it was. It keeps my eye makeup looking amazing throughout the entire day, and makes blending so so easy. I also have discoloration on my lids and this helps a lot with that too. Just make sure you put a thin layer on, and to cover up every part that you're going to put eyeshadow on, or else you will have inconsistency in vibrancy. My only minor complaint is that I can never get through an entire pot without it changing texture a little because of it getting drier, but that's not a huge deal because it takes a long time to do so.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2012 9:48:00 PM More reviews by XxAquaZebraxX

*I WOULD NOT BUY THIS AGAIN CAUSE I WILL NEVER FINISH IT!)

This was my first MAC product ever!!!! i kind of bought this on a whim as it was my first time in mac LOL. i brought it home and was impresesd at the quality of the product. butter soft, and super creamy. i put it in the back of my collection for aa while but recently brought it back and am caurrently using everyday on its own, over udpp. it gives me a nice nude, peachy matte colour on my lids. even w/out primer it does not crease which is a plus! overall, i reccommed this product, if your willing to pay a bit more!!! :D

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Pixiechix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I intended to buy this after having done a few reviews for an eyeshadow primer. I went to Mac and the MUA picked out painterly which is a great colour that looks nice on my nc20 fair skin.
I get oily eyelids and I really don't like the crease that I get when my shadows sort of, slips. Hence my reviewing the primers!
I have been using it now for about 3-4 months and I think that it is okay. For the colour and texture and packaging it is fine but it does not stop the creases on my lids. I apply over foundation but nope, it just doesnt work for me.
I then moved on to Urban Decays Primer Potion original and it is great in every way!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2012 11:16:00 AM More reviews by lblasucci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a recommendation by the gal at the MAC counter when I was looking for a primer to help my shadow not disappear within a few hours due to my oily eyelids. I have been using this as a primer for almost a year and I can honestly say hands down this is the best of the best. I have used Chanel, BB, Mercier, UD, BE, etc., they're good, but not good enough for my oily eyelids. I will by this again and again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2012 4:54:00 AM More reviews by LilacAda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this on a whim, it was birthday and with all the excitement I placed a big order on the MAC website, and I'd put this product in my basket.
This for me is the best eye primer I have used. It doesn't crease of budge. I'd describe the the texture to be like EL double wear, as soon as you've applied it, bam it's dry and you can't budge it.
But.. Always a but. The only problem I have with this is that because my skin is very fair and cool toned (NW15) it's does appear very warm and I find my eyeshadows, especially light colours arent true to their colour. The warmth in it changed the shadow colour