November 27, 2014 | 943 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Although this is a mattifying foundation that targets oily skin, I don't find that this foundation is very oil-controlling. I have normal skin that tends to get a tiny bit oily at the end of the day with primer and non-matte foundation on. But since this is matte, I expected my face to be matte for most of the day.
Well, I had to lightly blot with MSFN twice (70-ish degrees), but it's not a big deal. For the most part, it lasted 6 hours, with primer.
I read a number of other reviews here on this product, and I have a few things to say:
1. Those with oily skin should use a primer and powder to prolong this foundation and stay matte all day.
2. If you have dry skin, stay away! It pisses me off that people are actually blaming the FOUNDATION for accentuating their dry skin! I hate to be rude, but jeez--what are you? 10? Almost all face makeup, regardless of finish, will accentuate dry skin! Matte foundations will only accentuate it even more! Exfoliate, moisturize, avoid matte finishes, and stop lowering ratings by wrongfully blaming the foundation for your own faults!
That said, I find that this foundation is best for normal, combo, and semi-oily skin, although if you have oily skin you can probably get away with it if you wear primer and powder, like I stated previously. Those with very oily skin should stay away; those with dry skin should definitely stay away.
Regarding the coverage, this foundation offers medium-to-full coverage, although you can definitely build it up to somewhat of a full coverage. It's not heavy enough to cover dark circles or very dark spots, but it will cover redness, dark marks, and acne, all the while evening out your skin tone.
At least, that's the coverage that I get with my fingers and my MAC 190 brush. If you want lighter coverage, apply it with a damp sponge (i.e. Beauty Blender). You have to work fast because it dries quickly. Once it dries, though, you have a flawless matte finish that looks great in person and in photography. I've heard of some people using this as their go-to foundation for photos, but I prefer MUFE HD for that purpose--that's just me, though.
#35 Vanilla is a pretty good shade match (I'm NC35, NARS SG Stromboli, and MUFE HD 128 but a mix of 1 part 127 and 2 parts 153 is a better match). I've also tried #30 Porcelain, #40 Natural Beige, #45 Soft Beige, and #50 Sand. #30 would be NC25-30 if it weren't for its beige undertones, #40 is NC25-30, #45 would be NW37 or NW35-40 if it weren't for its beige-pink undertones, and #50 is NW30-35. I've also swatched #55 Neutral Beige and it seems like NC40-45, except it appears to have somewhat warm peachy undertones.
At $36 for a 1.01 oz. tube, I think the price is fair. Usually foundations run for around at least $40, so you get a sizable amount for a decent price. Not bad at all.
Would I repurchase? No. I have better foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by 1CupcakeJunkie

When i went in Sephora one day the SA matched me with 35. It looked good in the store and when i got to my car and looked in the sun i was mortified. You could see the line from skin to makeup. I was embarrassed because i was going back to work and i didnt have any supplies to fix it. I rubbed it all off which is bad for me because i have bad scars. I went home and played around and THOUGHT it was a decent match and went back and forth between this and Kat Von D(which i returned) and MAC foundations. I have sinced tried the color shade 30 and it matches me waaaaaay better. I thought it was product and i didnt feel like i would buy again but the color was off. It does leave a somewhat matte look and i can say as of right now it will do. I like the tube it comes in as well. I have yet to find my HG foundation though : (

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by ashleytreece

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very pale skin and this is one of the very few foundations I've found that's light enough, so I'll buy it again for that factor alone unless other brands start putting out lighter shades. I do love the super matte finish, however I apparently have dry skin on my forehead, cheeks and nose and this really makes dry flakes stand out like crazy. With good exfoliation and a great moisturizer, though, this stuff has worked great for me! Just make sure, of course, to wash your face really well before bed. The few times I got lazy and slept with it on, I woke up with the worst dry patches ever. The coverage is good, but you'll still need concealer for any blemishes. I like that I don't have to worry about knocking over a glass bottle or dealing with a defective pump with the simple packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/6/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Querida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I wanted so much to love this. I live in a tropical country with high humidity so I need a longlasting liquid foundation and I was getting bored with my Estee Lauder Double Wear, so I decided to shop around for a new liquid foundation. Oh, how I wished I didn't stray!

The Mat Velvet + comes in a small, plastic, squeeze bottle and it is handy for travel. It DOES last long. It held up through a 10hr work day and covers VERY WELL. And that's were the fun stops.

I got a major breakout from it. My skin is oily and acne-prone and sensitive. I made sure I cleanse thoroughly (as is my habit, anyway) every day but after a few days....I noticed new spots coming out. And they are the annoying 'under the skin' and red sort of bumps. I did a series of elimination processes (as I was trying out a few things at that time) and I zeroed it down to the Mat Velvet +. :(

I stopped using the Mat Velvet +. Pity it didn't work for me. But I am sure someone else with less sensitive skin would love it if they are looking for a longlasting foundation with plenty of coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by jilltaylor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of my all time favorite foundations. I don't find that it mattifies particularly well but I have yet to find anything that can combat my oily t zone. I mostly like it because the shade is a perfect match for my skin and it blends very well. It also had a good build-ability factor. It gives me that no makeup look, or can be built up for a heavier look. I like it for being a good foundation, not necessarily the matte effect. Definite repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2012 7:23:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This foundation has a nice texture and blends smoothly, but the colors, in my opinion, look unnatural and tend to darken with wear. The staying power is so-so -- by the end of the day, it's mostly gone. There are better options in this price range.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2012 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Stephaniejeann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

To start with, I commend Make Up Forever for the wonderful packaging on this product. I can get the perfect amount of product every time I use it. I found a shade that is almost an exact match to my skin (#25), without much hassle like I've experienced with other foundations. As for mattifying my skin, it does stay matte for about four hours and then my face is oily again. I don't mind though because I've experienced this with every foundation I've tried. It doesn't oxidize on me, which is something I've also had trouble with when I used other foundations. Maybe it would stay matte longer if I set it with some powder, but usually I'm in such a hurry that I can't be bothered. This foundation blends very nicely (I use Sephora's Pro Flawless Airbrush #56), and I find the coverage to be medium to full. I personally don't find that the coverage is easily buildable for me at least, it looks very cakey when I try to build it up. I gave this product four stars because it works for me, but it still has some disadvantages. I can deal with some oil as long as the foundation matches my skin nicely and blends beautifully, but depending on how oily your skin is, it may not work at all for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2012 11:12:00 PM More reviews by doris98

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried it and didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. I'm in the shade 120, and it was a pretty good match. HOWEVER, after only 20 minutes, I was an oompah-loompah orange, without primer. With primer, it lasted 2 hours before I was orange again. It was also too matte for me. Staying power was ok however, hence the not so low rating. I know a lot of people like it, but it wasn't for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2012 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Poikal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been lurking makeupalley for EVER (2 years) trying to find foundations concealers and skincare items for my delicate and sensitive skin. Little background, i have used every chanel foundation, bobbi brown, laura mercer, cle de peau, lancome and i still love this one =. i have had moderate to bad acne in my teen years and i have almost perfect skin right now but still have red marks all over from previous picking and scarring etc. I have been using mat plus for ever and it has not broken me out in the 2 years i have used it and it keeps my whole face matte with the exception of my nose but i use white clay as a powder just for my nose and it stays totally matte all day and night. (just plain white clay used for masks) this might be too hardcore for some but i find id rather have a tight feeling on my nose than be a slippery oily mess.

for the people who say this sticks to dry spots just because it is wintertime i have found i have dry skin but i recommend wearing a serum or light gel moisturizer under the parts that are dry and there shouldn't be a problem.

overall this has been a staple for me i am in the colour #15. PS. i often mix my foundation with lancome's tent idole 24hr in 101 (i think? lightest colour) if i want my skin to look totally perfect (its a bit too much for daytime) and it stays put all night. hope this helps someone!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by rrrrbravo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was really excited to try this product because of all the good things I have heard/read about it, and Make Up For Ever in general. I was totes let down though. It WAY accentuates the dry patches on my cheeks, and didn't mattify my T-zone at all. The only good thing about it was that shade 20 was perfect, and I really liked the packaging. I really need that full coverage look for my post-acne marks, but I found the coverage was just OK...I don't know WHY I even try to stray from my Estee Lauder DW. My mom even commented on how crappy my face looked compared to when I wear DW. That is and probably will always be my favorite.