Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 12/1/2007 5:10:00 PM

I tried this along with Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer and like both, but for different reasons. This can be used for a "primer" with liquid foundation, but it's not really meant for that. I find I need more foundation when I use this compared to PF. This is meant to be used AS the foundation and just a bit of powder to finish it off. Unfortunately, my skin isn't that perfect for that and I need a bit of coverage. I use Revlon's light foundation (in the squeeze tube) and find it's a little difficult to 'spread' after using this, but it can be done. Just make sure you wait the required 2 mins otherwise it will ball up and just be a complete mess. Another trick is to not keep rubbing it in until it is 'absorbed'...put it on covering your entire face and then just let it dry. The more you try to rub it in, the worse off you will be.

This is much better at controlling oil than PF, so I tend to use this more in the summer. PF is much better underneath when you need to use foundation, as far as being able to actually apply it...but you will need to blot, as it does nothing to help control oil. Because you need so little of the Present, it seems to last forever. I haven't needed to purchase another one, but when the need arises, I will.

on 11/26/2007 4:55:00 PM

The first time I used this, I stupidly piled it on, not bothering to read the reviewer who mentioned using a "pea sized" amount on her face.

Take her advice! All that slathering on gave me a greasy face, but when I used a smaller amount this really spread well on my face. I watch the clock to make sure I wait the 2 minutes before putting on my powder, and that does the trick. I started using primer in the hopes of cutting down the oil on my face. When I used this last weekend, I never even had to pull out my blotting papers. I like the creamy softness it gives my skin, especially given that it's Winter and the wind isn't too kind to my face.

ETA: Over time, I noticed the same amount of oil on my skin as before. I picked up a sample size of Smashbox's Photo Finish in Light by accident and PF is doing a MUCH better job of keeping down the oily look.

I'm going to finish this tube out but not repurchase.

on 11/24/2007 10:02:00 AM

I love this stuff! It makes my skin look good and lasts a long time. I only use a SMALL amount, about the size of pea, any more and it looks a little flakey. This really keeps my oily skin matte all day and keeps my makeup (i use bare minerals foundation) looking good all day. Love, love love!

on 11/23/2007 1:08:00 AM

Unlike most reviewers, I have not had good luck with this product. I use a very heavy and very creamy foundation (La Roche Posay) and find that this primer makes it really difficult to spread my foundation on evenly. It actually makes my makeup look like it is caked on.

It does do a good job of making my skin matte and primed but it just doesn't work well with my particular makeup. I believe that if you use a less thick foundation, this product would work better.

It is important to wait the full 2 minutes before applying your base. Otherwise it mixes in with the product and it becomes a big 'ole mess.

on 11/18/2007 4:36:00 PM

Does anyone else here use sunscreen on a daily basis? I, for one, couldn't figure out at which point to put on my Sofina sunscreen, so I just applied it after my Cerave lotion (as usual), waited 10 minutes (as usual), then applied a pea-sized dab of the Philosophy stuff. Then I waited the requisite 2 minutes (maybe even longer) before putting on any makeup.

Unlike others, I did not find that my foundation went on more easily with this stuff. I had an especially hard time with my Neutrogena Skin Clearing liquid, which went on very patchy, streaky and hard to blend (but then, it usually is this way). I had a slightly easier time with Revlon Colorstay Active, (but I usually do). In any case, foundation was sticking to my skin in a way that made it hard to blend evenly with my fingers. I ended up having to use a flocked sponge to smooth everything out, which was time-consuming and annoying Perhaps the texture of the sunscreen (which tends to be drying) messes with this primer? The texture of this primer was smooth and not as slippery and silicone-y as I was expecting, more like a creamy moisturizer. It left my skin looking...the same. I also found that my makeup wore off at about the same rate as when I don't use a primer. This didn't help "lock in" my moisturizer or provide much protection against the elements (my poor face is still flaky). On the plus side, it smells nice (sorta fresh and light) and comes in a squeeze tube. I wouldn't repurchase--it's merely an additional and unnecessary step in my routine.

on 11/7/2007 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I dont like this product at all. It doesnt do anything to even out my complexion( my skin is slightly ruddy around my nose and cheeks). I still have to use makeup and i when i tried to apply my foundation it didnt spread, just stayed like spackle in the same place! And i did wait at least 15 minutes to allow the clear makeup to set in my skin. Will not re-purchase because it does nothing for my skin. Waste of money!

on 11/2/2007 7:09:00 PM

*complains* When did this stuff hit the market, and why wasn't I informed? I'm 50 and I have pretty good skin. I slapped on the usual pea-sized portion of Present Clear with a skeptical fingertip. One minute later, I discovered that I now have perfect skin. As in, perfect. No foundation, no nuthin'. I know what all my friends are getting for Christmas . . . or not. I could make them jealous, instead.

on 10/30/2007 2:54:00 PM

I love this primer! I have tried a couple primers but was a little wary of this one because it contains silicone and I was worried about breaking out from it. I have used this product for about 4 months and I haven't broken out at all from using it (in fact I have been completely clear skinned for the past 3 months). I use a pea sized amount of this after I apply my moisturizer and before my foundation. I only apply a pea sized amount to my whole face and I let it dry for about 3-5 minutes. This stuff helps fill in any uneven texture I have- it smooths everything out and my makeup glides on so evenly. It makes my makeup application enjoyable instead of frustrating. I will be repurchasing.

on 10/26/2007 11:57:00 AM

excellent primer, it leaves my skin soft and does not clog my pores.I use this under my MMU (LilyLoLo) and it is a perfect base
I prefer it to the SB primer, or the Clarins instant smooth
The product is not cheap at £20, but it will last a long time, and is easier to use than the very unpractical SB pump bottle

on 10/24/2007 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

WOW! I don't know how I ever lived without this product.... I am usually the type of person who will not walk out the door without some sort of powder or foundation on my face because my face is just full of problems (acne, red splotches, etc etc)... but with the Present, I can just slap it on and walk out the door! It really makes my skin looked airbrushed and smooth! One thing I did notice about it was that it kinda made me look a bit paler? Anybody else have this experience? Maybe I'm just paranoid that I'm losing my tan from the summer... but I do look a little lighter when I use this product... but for pretty much perfect airbrushed skin... it's something I'd gladly trade :)

Popular Primer/ Correctors