September 16, 2014 | 1480 users online

Deodorants - Certain Dri

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 2:51:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

What it claims:
"Fights excessive perspiration."

Claims - True of False?
1) Fights sweating: True.

Packaging:
In all honesty, I hate the packaging. Not for the way it works, but for how it looks. I always dread having to repurchase it, because its look is so... I'd much prefer it if they made it very bare and simple (which would appeal to both genders), because I always feel embarrassed when I go to buy this. I don't feel that way when I pick up other brands' "prescription strength" offerings. As for performance, it works just fine and I've no complaints on that end. The roller ball glides easily, the twist cap ensures it stays sealed, and it's nice and compact. The lid also has a flat top, making it easy to sit upside down as you start to run out. The biggest issue would be if you don't shave your underarms (or not all the time), hair could get pinched in between the roller and the plastic.

Consistency and Smell:
The consistency of this antiperspirant is completely liquid. There is no colour, no obvious residue from it, and it dries down very quickly. If too much is used it could potentially leave a bit of a residue to the touch, but nothing noticeable. The smell is only noticeable when you first buy it - I've repurchased a few times, and never noticed the scent when I'd repurchase. If I do a while without using it, I might notice the scent a bit, but it's not strong. Definitely more of a clinical scent to it.

Results:
For me, this stuff works. My sweating was enough to cause many of my shirts to be ruined, in that the sweating was eating away at the material and making it stiff. I can go at most 1-2 weeks without using this stuff before the sweating comes back in a more noticeable fashion, but since using this from 2008 and onward, I've noticed that even with prolonged absences from its use, I sweat less than before using it. I can sometimes just use it 2-3 times a month. If I don't epilate/remove hair from my underarms I will sweat more, so this is definitely going to need to be used more often if you are a male and don't shave your armpits. I experienced a bit of a rash when I first used it, but other than that I had no adverse reactions once my skin adjusted to the ingredients. You need to be cautious to not use it too often or to use too much, and even if it does sting and burn, cause redness and dryness, give it at least a few weeks, as it will take time to get used to it.

Bang for your Buck:
One bottle of Certain Dri in the roll-on bottle costs under $10.00CAD for 35.5ml. On average, one bottle lasts at least a year or longer. Since using in 2008, I've now purchased it three times that I can recall (now December 2011). The biggest disadvantage is that it does have an expiry date, and you might find that you've passed the date before the bottle is used up.

Final Consensus:
If this product reacts well with your skin/body chemistry, then this will be a life saver. I went from being unable to move my arms around to feeling comfortable tank tops without worrying about showing my underarms. It won't help with any smell you might get, so a separate deodorant/antiperspirant for the morning is needed (I use a separate brand), but I now no longer worry about my underarms and sweating (in that area at least). The results were worth the few weeks or months I spent with mild to moderate discomfort, and it's completely worth the embarrassment I feel for the few brief minutes it takes to repurchase. If this doesn't work for you, there are other brands to check out, so just remember to keep your hopes up and not give up.
- Pros: Affordable, works, lasts a long time, easy to apply, doesn't leave residue or stain skin
- Cons: Can leave skin sensitive and irritated when first using, embarrassing to purchase, can be difficult to find depending on location, easy to over-apply.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again? Yes.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2009 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Bellatata143

I have had issues with excessive perspiration for years now and I was about to give up hope. I purchased this product after having no luck with every other brands on the market. This product has completely stopped my sweating! Follow the directions on the package which says to use it at night before bed, but try not to use too much as it will make you itchy. I completely love this product and will definitely repurchase it again. The only downside is the packaging. I noticed that too much product spews out of the container and drips onto my hands when I tip it to apply. However, this is a great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2009 4:45:00 PM More reviews by oneam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This was rec'd on the wedding board to a bride for her wedding day, and as I was engaged at the time, and I didn't want to worry about sweat or antiperspirant marks on the day-of, I got some.

I'm not super sweaty, but in the summer when I leave work to run an errand and get very hot, it takes awhile to cool off and for the sweating to stop, and in the meantime it was yucky and uncomfortable. I had antiperspirant in my desk for such occasions, but it didn't help at that point.

The Certain Dri works for me. I use it only about 3 x per week, and I'm only on my 2nd bottle in 2 years, it lasts that long.

At first it did itch because it's hard for me not to apply after a shower, as the directions indicate to apply in the evening, and I shower at night, but it seems that I have developed a tolerance because it doesn't really bother me anymore.

I can go out during the hottest time of day and not sweat. As a result, I like to think that I don't get the yellowing in the pits of my white shirts anymore, and though I have not done any clinical studies :P, I have not noticed any discoloration on my newer white shirts.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2009 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Tylie01

I suffer from excessive sweating. I get so mad because I can't wear any clothes that I want to, I can only wear some blacks and whites, I also sweat right through sweatshirts so I can't even wear nice colors in those! I go to a dermatolagist for my face and asked him about what I could do to stop my sweating. He recommend this and dry sol. So I tried them both with high hopes. But neither of them worked for me I was still sweating and not to mention both of them would hurt so so much when I put them on. Like I am not just saying it was just a bit of stinging, it felt like millions of little needles were being stabbed into me. And it also itches like crazy and it burned my skin. Even if this stuff worked for me I don't think I would be able to put up with the pain. I have tried everything out there and I am just giving up and I am getting Botox in my armpits because it is the only thing I have not tried. And it is supposed to work very well. And my dermatologist recommended it and he said it is very safe. Also the insurance that my parents have me on covers at least 80 percent of the cost. So if you are like me and suffer from sweating ask your doctor about Botox. I think I am getting it this fall so I can't say if it works or not. Maybe this stuff just does not work for me, everybody is different so please try this and everything else before you try more drastic measures like I am.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by HelloKinky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Since the age of 13 I had suffered from over active sweat glands. I had tried just about every deodorant/anti-perspirant on the market, with no luck. I had just about resigned myself to a life of sweaty armpits when, I seen Certain Dri at the store and figured I might as well give it a try. Much to my surprise, after 1 application my armpits stayed dry throughout the whole day! My only complaint is that after continued daily use it dried my skin and caused some irritation so, I have now switched to using this every other day and it works just as well. This stuff is a God send!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2009 11:30:00 PM More reviews by MissLindseyTay

I have had the best results with this product! It is amazing how quickly it started working for me, and I really had a problem with stains. I live in Texas [and we all know it's hot] and I would be outside for 10 minutes and start to get stains. After using this product for a few days I noticed a difference. Now, I have been using it for 4 months and I don't have stains anymore AT ALL and it's July here. It's so wonderful. I use it every other night [not every night, it drys out my underarms, and I also wax my underarms] and just use a regular deodorant during the day [Aarid]. I swear by this product, it really works fast and does a great job. I was about to schedule a derm apt but decided to try this first and I'm glad I did! Much, much cheaper!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2009 6:59:00 PM More reviews by natluvly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I also had an excessive sweating problem and had tried everything on the market. When I first tried it I thought it was not working but you must follow the directions very carefully in order for this product to deliver awesome results. One rater said it wasn't working for her but you really have to apply sparingly (2 strokes) otherwise you'll sweat more. Especially if you apply the product at night and also wear your normal anti-perspirant in the morning like I do. I love the product so much that when I hear someone talking about how they sweat so much I'll butt into their conversation and tell them about how great Certain Dri worked for me. If they ever stopped making this I would probably be sad, but there are a lot of new products on the market that I have not tried since I've been using this product for about 5 or 6 yrs. Anyways, if you haven't tried it and have excessive perspiration, try it and I'm sure you'll love it :)

And another thing-I have a secret for how to stop the itching that some say they have. Only shave every other day and never shave before applying Certain Dri. Shave the morning after applying it. Hope this helps :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2009 1:30:00 PM More reviews by SG444

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product does work very well, BUT it can make me itch like crazy! The first time I used this, I'd waited about 10 hours since shaving but it itched so badly it was difficult to sleep. Still, because it worked so well, I was determined to find a way to make this tolerable. I tried again after not shaving my underarms for at least 24 hours and that did the trick. Also, be sure to use only one or two swipes. It's tempting to use more, but that'll only cause more itching and it won't be any more effective. I will definitely continue to purchase this!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2009 7:53:00 PM More reviews by mandymooo

In 8th grade I started sweating excessively. It just started all of a sudden one day. Even in the winter time I would be sitting in class with pit stains!!! It was so embarassing. My mom and I went to the store and found certain dri. I followed the instructiions and applied it at night. It itched a little but nothing major. Then next morning I applied my deodarant and went to school. I still sweated but it was nothing compared to how I was sweating before. After a couple days of using it I wasnt sweating at all!! And it lasts forever! I love Certain dri.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2009 12:15:00 AM More reviews by missglowstick

Literally, the best thing that ever happened to my armpits. I am soooooo grateful for Certain Dri's existence, and will continue to repurchase as long as it is made.
Not only does it keep me completely dry, I can also skip up to 3 days and not worry about sweating even if I'm wearing a sweater in blistering heat. Amazing.