Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 4/4/2009 2:09:00 PM

This is my favorite sunscreen in the entire world, for the following reasons:

1. It is lightweight and does not feel greasy on my skin;
2. It has just enough tint to it that when combined with sheer translucent powder it makes for a great natural look;
3. It works as a phenomenal foundation primer;
4. It doesn't smell like sunscreen; and
5. I am not allergic to it!

I'm very fair and this is my year round sunscreen solution for my face. It is effortless and I love it. I highly recommend it, am never without it, and will be lost if its ever discontinued. It also lasts quite a while - making it very cost effective.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my favorite facial sunscreen. It's got a slight tint and shimmer, uses titanium and zinc oxide (what my dermatologist said for me to use because it's the most effective sun screen), has no fragrance, is gentle enough for the eye area. It soaks right into your skin, leaves a pretty sheen, and won't break you out. On top of all that, it's reasonably priced. Perfect!

on 3/6/2009 12:07:00 AM

In Australia this is SPF 30. It goes on great under makeup, feels good and doesn't cause break outs as so many others do. For this reason I have been using it for about a year. However, I'm ready to change because I'm not sure how effectively this is actually blocking the sun's rays?? I still seem to be getting burnt on my chest at times and I wear it on my face & chest every day.

on 2/15/2009 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It worked fine for me under makeup, but wearing it alone w/o the help of a mattifier made me really greasy. At first I didn't mind it being a little thick for me, but after finding another sunblock/moisturizer that had a thinner consistency, I put this one in the back burner.

on 2/10/2009 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have sensitive combination skin type, and this product doesn't really work for me. I am so thrilled to try this product at the beginning, and it was okay on the first day. Then my skin started itching the second day of using it, and after I washed my face, I noticed some dry patches on my face, and it's a bit red. I found out that those are rashes on my face. I quickly grab the box and read more information on ingredients, then I found that there are chemincal sunscreen agents in it. I was so surprised because it said the product is okay for sensitive skin as well. So I assumed that the ingredients should be fine to me....but i was wrong, I should have read the ingredients before I buy anything in the future. Somehow my sensitive skin can only tolerate the physical sunscreen ingredients such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, NOT any chemical sunscreen ingredients. It's nice that the Clinique counter allows me to exchange it to the SPF 25 one, which doesn't have chemical sunscreen agents in it. I love SPF 25 now, it doesn't irritate my skin at all...I love it!!! Thanks Clinique.

on 2/10/2009 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

**(Please read my final update below!)** Original review: I have only been using this for a few days, but I am liking it very much so far (which probably means it will be discontinued, as all my favorite products seem to be lately!). I bought this on a whim while perusing the Clinique website. It has a light and creamy texture and smooths over my skin very easily, and although it's tinted, the tint all but disappears when I put it on, while evening out my skintone a bit. I don't wear foundation, just use concealer where necessary, so my sunscreen acts as my "base", and this is a very nice sort of "semi-foundation"/sunscreen combo. It feels light (although I'll have to see what it's like in the summer) and is not greasy on my skin. Also, a little seems to go a long way, making me think this will prove to be quite inexpensive in the long run. I like the small, sleek tube it comes in as well. I'm not crazy about the smell (it says it's 100% fragrance free, and maybe it doesn't actually contain fragrance, but I think it smells a bit odd), but that's not a big deal.
UPDATE: I just have to add, after using this for two months, that I'm loving it. It actually seems to have *improved* the look of my skin, softened and smoothed it, where most sunscreens break me out after a few days of use.
UPDATE #2: Oh, boy -- this is sad. After nearly a year and a half of really liking this product and using it daily, I repurchased it because I ran out, and now it causes me to break out terribly, as well as redness and stinging! Did Clinique change the ingredients? Very disappointing! I'm changing my review to 3 lippies -- still think this is wonderfully fluffy and non-greasy if it doesn't make you break out!

on 2/1/2009 4:38:00 PM

I bought this a while ago.. and only used it twice, as i find it way too greasy and sticky for my combination skin. I have very dry cheeks and a relatively oily T-Zone, and I just can't handle this product. Of course, I've only used it during the summer (the season I bought it) and because it felt sticky, I was turned off from it completely. I am still on the look out for the perfect sunscreen for the face that is not greasy -- does such a product even exist for anyone with the slightest oiliness?But after reading the reviews here, I think i will give it one more try during the dry winter months... otherwise... it's going in my swap list...

on 1/27/2009 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've had a tube of this sitting in my bathroom this winter. I normally use this during the summer months, and just use a moisturizer with sunscreen in the morning. I started using it again as a makeup primer since I was not liking my ususal primer in the winter time. This works great as a primer in between my moisturizer and liquid foundation. The slight tint in this sunscreen helps to even out my skin tone and I am using less foundation. I do not find this greasy now that my skin is dryer. I feel better that I am using a stronger sun block even if I am only outside for a few minutes a day. I would repurchase when I run out, but I will switch to the sheer formulation for the summer when my skin is oilier.

on 12/24/2008 2:25:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I like this sunscreen, it is very sheer and light unlike many other facial sunscreens. Leaves my oily skin a bit greasy, but that is to be expected. Great slightly pink tint, doesn't turn my skin strange colors like some tinted moisturizers I've tried lol. Great sunscreen, will repurchase.

on 12/19/2008 9:19:00 AM

Love it! A great alternative to heavy, white sunscreens, but with excellent sun protection and very, very, moisturizing. A nice light whipped consistency, it imparts an almost imperceptible tint that vanishes quickly, and leaves a healthy glow. Most importantly: Does not break me out! Wonderful staple product, decent price, great performer.