September 18, 2014 | 1840 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Super City Block SPF 40

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by gildedangel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this sunscreen, it is very sheer and light unlike many other facial sunscreens. Leaves my oily skin a bit greasy, but that is to be expected. Great slightly pink tint, doesn't turn my skin strange colors like some tinted moisturizers I've tried lol. Great sunscreen, will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2008 9:19:00 AM More reviews by LizM9

Love it! A great alternative to heavy, white sunscreens, but with excellent sun protection and very, very, moisturizing. A nice light whipped consistency, it imparts an almost imperceptible tint that vanishes quickly, and leaves a healthy glow. Most importantly: Does not break me out! Wonderful staple product, decent price, great performer.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/18/2008 12:04:00 AM More reviews by InvinciChicken

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

--Update 1/16/2010--
I don't know if maybe my tube is just getting old or my skin has changed or whatever other shenanigans might have occurred, but DAMN it's like a totally different sunblock now. I busted it out again this week because I remembered the nice creamy texture and the way it subtly evened out my skin tone and looked great under a light-coverage powder. Reading back on my review has me perplexed as to how it could have ever worked so well. Now it just highlights dry flakes of skin I didn't even now I had, as well as balling up and leaving my skin very grayish looking. It actually PEELS off when I try to apply it in layers! WTF? And it's just greasy and sticky and messy. Feels like saran wrap on my face. However, it is very comfortable and satin-y when used as a neck/decollete sunscreen. At least this tube won't go to waste.

WHAT IS IT: Clinique's Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40 is a tinted sunscreen boasting a "remarkably sheer, weightless formula" and a mix of physical and chemical sunscreens. The PPD should be around 8. It also has antioxidants. It is packaged in a pale green tube with a silver twist-off cap. The tube packaging is convenient for dispensing the product, as well as getting out every last drop because you can cut it open, but I prefer flip-top caps. It is fragrance-free but there is a slight medicinal smell, probably because of the extracts added in. There is no trace of the annoying sunblock-smell that I hate, which is great.

MY EXPERIENCE: This sunscreen has a nice, almost fluffy texture when squeezed out. I personally have never noticed tinted moisturizers ever making a difference on my skin, and this sunscreen is no exception. Putting on 1/4th of a teaspoon is an arduous task -- you have to apply it layer by layer otherwise it starts balling up and flaking off.

The finish of the sunscreen after 1/4 teaspoon is quite shiny. It also leaves a strange, tacky film on the face that never seems to absorb. The shininess can be taken down to dewiness with a dusting of powder, but the stickiness never goes away which is annoying.

The extracts and such that have been added sound nice, but I don't think they've made any noticeable difference in the health of my skin. If you have sensitive skin, be careful of any irritating ingredients.

FINAL THOUGHTS: At first this sunscreen seemed like it might be my HG -- it's tinted! it's weightless! it has high SPF and PPD! Unfortunately it still feels greasy and like many other cheaper sunscreens and the tint does nothing for me. Perhaps if you have dry skin, this could work.

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2%

OTHER INGREDIENTS: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl
phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

ABOUT ME: I am a Chinese female with light-medium-neutral, oily, slightly acne-prone skin with some hyperpigmentation scars, black hair and dark brown eyes. I wear EDM Light Medium and Fairly Light, BE Fairly Light.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2008 12:47:00 PM More reviews by AngelaW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Decent consistency, nice neutral colour. Does the perfect job of protecting patches of my very fair skin that tend to get pigmented if I'm out and about in sunlight. Use it religiously on upper lip area where I had a horrible patch of slightly darkened skin from UV rays, and it has prevented it from re-occuring while time has faded it out. This product can be a little bit drying but I just use extra moisturiser if that is the case. Not flashy or exciting to use, but a great product. I will continue to buy this unless one of my favourite brands (don't know why but I'm just not a Clinique fan) brings out a good alternative.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2008 9:39:00 PM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

All-day annoying itching thats hard to ignore. The pinkish beige tint looks an awful ashen purple on my ivory skin (golden fair). Anyway I think Clinique should put out a golden version for those skin tones that dont suit the pink as people seem to be asking for it. I bit like the Sheer Shimmer City Block SPF 15 they used to sell, but less shimmery would be good.

Otherwise the zinc oxide and titanium oxide are finely blended and it doesnt show up white on the skin at all. The finish is a very moist sheen, not-quite-oily. It doesn't feel oily to touch, so long hair wont stick to it like some sunblocks, but people who like the matt look will probably have the urge to powder over after this. The scent is fairly sweet and strong - almonds, honey and clay??

Living Nature's Daily Defense with SPF15 or mineral powder makeup are the only other options I have at the moment.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/3/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by EnchantedOne

I really wanted to like this product. The texture of this sunscreen is a bit to be desired. It keeps balling up. Everytime, I put it on it looks like my skin is peeling. It doesn't matter how carefully I try it looks awful.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by aznlilbabiegrl

it's a decent product at a decent price, i love the tint because it reduces the redness around my acne scars, but it does take some getting use to because the texture is a bit heavy and not very spreadable.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2008 1:00:00 AM More reviews by MissAmbie

I'm not too sure how I feel about this sunblock just yet, as I have just started with it a couple of weeks ago. The problem is, which it says that it is oil-free, I find this product extremely heavy on my skin and kind of hard to smooth out. I am also not a fan of the tint, as when I purchased it, I was really just looking for something to go under my foundation that I already love and use. However, the tint is relatively sheer, but like I said, the heaviness of the product is what turns me off more than anything. A lot of ppl seem to love it, sadly I'm just not one of them.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2008 11:45:00 PM More reviews by danijelau

This product really is great.
dont be alarmed by the tint. i was when i first saw it as im not usually a fan of tints. but when you apply it it gives the illusion your wearing foundation as it evens out your skin tone quite abit and takes out any redness. so if your having a no-make-up day this is perfect.
when i go out causually i just stick some of this one and my skin looks pretty great! no foundation needed.
it has great sunscreen ingrediatiants in it too! so you know your getting your sun protection.
And also if your pimple prone its oil free. it never has made me break out! and alot of products do for me!
only downside... its not water proof. so i wouldnt recommend for a day at the beach. more for everyday sun protection.
love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2008 10:16:00 PM More reviews by laz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Reading the reviews, i realised that a lot people mistakenly thought they were avoiding the "evils" of chemical (ie. organic) sunscreens by buying this product. This product, while containing Zno and TiO2 as active ingredients, ALSO contains octyl methoxycinnamate ( a CHEMICAL, UVB absorbober) and octyl salicate (also a chemical UVB aborber). Now, don't get me wrong, this seems like a brilliant product, especially for those averse to Avobenzone. But don't think you're buying a cream only with physical blockers... this has both. And if you're really worried about sun protection, either go with Mexoryl or order some Bioderma from overseas.