April 17, 2014 | 1910 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2009 11:23:00 PM More reviews by jamejame

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really am just apparently not made for mineral makeup, as this is about the hundredth that I've tried and disliked. Alima's colors are actually really good, and finding a match was no problem. And the sample sizes were certainly cheap and adequate for me to form an opinion before a major purchase. Which won't be happening. I found this to be just another shiny, fast-fading mediocre mineral foundation which covered few flaws and highlighted any large pores. And after all these attempts at mineral makeup, I still find application a total pain - and incredibly messy. I swear off mineral foundation after every try, but then a good review of something new lures me and I make the circle again.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2009 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Sarasotagirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried four MMU (BE, EDM, Aromaleigh and Alima) and Alima is by far the best product and best experience.

First off, excellent, excellent customer service. I had questions about which undertone to sample, and so I e-mailed under their "Ask an Artist" link. I received a lovely, thoughtful personal response within a couple of hours. My husband doesn't answer my e-mails that quickly! And the advice was spot-on. On my pale, neutral skin (lighter than MAC -- I wear LORAC Breakthrough in Porcelain), N1 was just about perfect and absolutely perfect with a touch of N2 mixed in. The items, even samples, are packaged in a lovely way and arrive lightning fast. It's truly a pleasure to do business with them.

As for the product itself, the foundation is the most finely, evenly milled of all the MMU I've tried. Feels like silk on the face -- I can't get over how smooth and even my skin texture becomes with it.

All in all, a winner. I'm a liquid foundation girl, so MMU is a sometime/summer product for me, but I'm so glad to have found an excellent match and an excellent company in Alima.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2009 1:34:00 PM More reviews by ellyyang

I have very sensitive skin, and I react to every liquid foundation I've used (including those oil-free ones). Alima is the first and the only one mineral makeup I've ever used, and I love it! I don't like heavy makeup (who does nowadays?) Every day after my skincare routine, I sqeeze some sunscreen on my palm and pour a little bit Alima foundation (or just the primer) and mix them up. I've found it easier to apply the powder this way and it also stays longer. Then, just set the foundation with the finishing powder. And really, it gives me a sheer to moderate coverage, and it controls oil very well. Best of all it doesn't cause any redness, itchness, and bumps on my face. I definitely will continue using Alima for the rest of my life.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2009 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Aligirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm NC 10/15 and found a perfect match in Olive 0, and I wanted to love it BUT no matter what techinique or amount I used, it always appeared cakey on me..especially on my chin and forehead which happens to be where I'm oily(even though my face is mostly dry) even tried using my Fyrinnae Rice powder as a primer and it was still cakey and unnatural..Not impressed

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2009 6:09:00 PM More reviews by belasuna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought Alima G5, W4 and Afterglow MMU (caramel) to test which was better. Both do not use bismuth oxychloride, paraben preservatives or synthetic dyes. Both are all natural, but Afterglow includes other organic, natural antiaging, moisturizing etc. ingredients.

My test. First let me say I have sensitive, combination, acne prone skin. I moisturized my face then I mixed the Alima to match the Afterglow (a perfect match to my skintone). I put Alima on half my face and Afterglow on the other half. I set the mineral foundations with Makeup Forever Mist & Fix. I checked the mirror. Both looked very smooth and felt weightless. They had equal coverage, hiding most (90%) of my blemishes. The Alima was more matte. Afterglow had a soft radiance, but not dewy or shiny. I asked my husband which side he liked best (of course not telling him which was which) and he flipped over the Afterglow side. Then I went out all day (I live in hot Southern California). During the day... the Alima side did itch only very slightly, the Afterglow side did not. The Alima side did seem to fade by the end of the day even with the Mist & Fix(showing more of my blemishes). The Afterglow was still going strong with a nice soft glowing finish (like young teenage skin).

Alima has a wider variety of color but Afterglow is not bad with 20 different shades. Alima is cheaper. Both are really nice MMU but I prefer Afterglow. I think I will use Afterglow and add a little of the $2 Alima samples to warm up the color as summer tan season comes along. (They seem to mix nicely with no adverse effects). www.afterglowcosmetics.com

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2009 9:29:00 PM More reviews by AGirlsBestFriend

I have tried a few different kinds of MU and this is by far my favorite. It is very finely milled (i.e. I don't get random streaks of red on my face from their powder). I have to mix N0 and N1 to get the right shade, so I just order both and mix them myself, although you can also pay a bit more to get one already mixed. Alima has great customer service too. I will definitely keep buying from them.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2009 10:58:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

EDIT: Had to remove two lippies. The description below was fine when my face was in only "red stage" rosacea. When it later broke out in to the "P&P" stage, this makeup really made it much worse--after researching it, I discovered it's the mica. Mica is pulverized rock and can have sharp edges. On intact skin, it was fine. On P&P skin, it's already abraded and the mice really tore it up.
________________________________
Love it! Highly recommend this powder:

Pros:
(1) I have sensitive skin—it reacts to everything—and this powder is great for NOT irritating my skin, even after wearing it all day. The ingredients are very few, thus decreasing the chances of a reaction. From their website: “Contains:
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499”
(2) Zinc oxide has a calming effect on my rosacea-prone skin
(3) Since zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are used for physical sun screens, the powder probably helps provide some sun protection (although I didn’t see it advertised as such)
(4) Many, many color choices—I called and talked with a rep who made recommendations on what samples to choose. They have a pink group, a yellow group, etc.
(5) Samples are only $1.50 each plus a small shipping charge. I ordered multiple samples on the same order and the shipping charge remained the same.
(6) Samples are a good size, allowing for multiple wear days to determine the best color
(7) Powder is finely milled, goes on wonderfully and stays on.
(8) I use the green concealer powder under the foundation powder to conceal rosacea—it doesn’t totally abolish the red (which is strong) but greatly diminishes it.
(9) Customer service is great. Orders arrive swiftly.

Only Con—For People With Dry Skin
(1) While zinc is calming, it also tends to be drying. Not only is my skin very dry but I have dermatitis too. The first time I put the powder on, I went light on moisturizer and quickly saw flaky skin. However, the second time—after carefully applying more moisturizer—all was fine.

Suggestions if you try this foundation:
(1) The colors at the light end tend to be very light. While I usually wear the “palest of the pale,” in Alima’s line I’m a 2 (numbers go 0, 1, 2, etc.)
(2) I use a small eyeliner brush to apply the foundation powder in areas I need some extra concealment before I apply the powder across my face—it works well and doesn’t look powdery.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by LuckE3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

First off, let me say that I am pretty strict about what beauty products I use on myself. I like Alima because it has a straightforward ingredient list (no parabens, or bismuth oxychloride) but it does contain mica, which can irritate some people's skin or cause acne. So this is not totally pure in content, but it is one of the better comapnies out there (better than Bare Escentuals which contains both bismuth oxychloride and mica). I like the look of Alima because it gives a matte finish and therefore looks more polished than most other mineral foundations. It gives good coverage, although BE still seems to cover blemishes a bit better. By itself, this foundation did cake a bit on my skin. What I like to do with this foundation instead is to apply it over my Aubrey Organics Translucent Base so my skin looks more done-up but not fake or cakey. I apply both with the Alima foundation brush, which is pricey but totally worth it (and cruelty-free). A word of caution: I am super pale, I always end up using the lightest color foundation available. However, with Alima I instead ended up using the Cool-2 shade. So stock up on the samples ($1.50 each on the Alima website) to find your correct color before springing for a full size jar. The foundation colors are tricky to figure out without actually being able to see how it looks on your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2008 2:53:00 AM More reviews by alyssasara

I switched to using mineral foundation after all my frustrations and woes from using cosmetic counter foundations that gives me tons of skin problems like clogged pores, breakouts and whiteheads etc. I do not have clear skin to begin with..(i have sensitive combi acne prone skin, fyi). the least i need was more breakout obviously, good coverage is definately something i looked for in my foundations. I started using the satin matte foundation in B2 about less than a year ago after my facialist recommended it to me. With the help of foundation brush #25, application is a breeze and for additional coverage i would slowly layer it on. Though oil control is almost non-existent, it does not cause my skin to breakout and gives me less whiteheads/clogged pores. I couldn't purchase B2 in my local store as the stock ran out, was recommended to use N2 instead. Its a tiny bit lighter from B2, but i could barely notice the difference. I'll continue using mineral foundation on top of my BB cream daily.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by ventanabluesky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using Alima's Satin Matte Foundation for about 2 weeks now, and the longer I wear it, the more I really love it. Alima offers a huge range of shades for all skin colorings--this is the first mmu I've found where I've been able to find an exact match to my skin (olive 1). In the past I tried Everyday Minerals olive shades as well, but found them much too green and drab for my skin. Alima's olives don't appear green at all, and seem to just brighten and smooth out my natural coloring. Another plus is that I no longer have any of the itching I experienced with BE, as Alima doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride. I have very oily skin and huge pores, and the matte finish of this foundation is great, as I don't need or want any extra shine. My pores and imperfections are hidden quite well under a light-moderate application of Alima. With my very oily skin, I do have to blot and apply more finishing powder throughout the day, but my face never turns into its usual oil slick, and the foundation seems to stay put even with minimal touch-ups (I have just ordered Alima's balancing primer powder to see if it will extend the time between blots/touchups). I recommend that anyone who is trying Alima read the application tips on their website, as their mmu doesn't need to be "buffed" into the skin like many other brands. All the Alima products I've tried so far have been lovely, as has the customer service. I'll continue to use Alima because it's an all around great product and company.

**EDIT: after using this product for 6 months, I decided to switch to another brand. While Alima went on beautifully, I found myself turning into an oil slick within an hour of application and needed to blot continuously all day. I also noticed that in pictures my skin appeared sallow and almost transparent, and this effect remained no matter what foundation shade I used. I suspect I need something that diffuses the light a bit more, as well as something that doesn't react as much with my oily skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No