October 20, 2014 | 1490 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2012 4:25:00 AM More reviews by paralleluniverse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

My HG lipstick!

I declare lipsticks to be good if they are: long lasting, don't feather outside my lips and make my full lips even fuller.
MAC Ruby Woo does all this, and it is such a great sophisticated, red lipstick. It is a matte lipstick that feels drying when you put it on your lips, but the non-creamy formulation means that IT WILL LAST and not feather outside your lips even without a lip liner. And yes, this little baby lasts very well through vigorous drinking and eating! Moreover, it doesn't make my full lips look bad. The packaging is also so lovely - a little black bullet embossed with silver writing, MAC. The scent is also a nice change - I was used to smelling the cheap and overpowering scents of cheaper drugstore lipsticks - but ooh, the subtle smell of vanilla is a very nice touch :-). Even though the price of the lipstick is a little steep ($36 AUD), I will certainly repurchase just for the lipstick's longevity and gorgeous colour.

NB: If you find the lipstick drying, put lip balm before applying lipstick and wait for 5 minutes before you wipe it off and apply the lipstick on!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Vferent

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A classic in-your-face red. Really makes a statement, however being only 18 years old I don't really feel I can get away with wearing this out and about just yet. But sometimes I apply a tiny amount and smudge it in to my lips for a flushed look.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by daffodile

best red lipstick ever....

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by imgracekelly

I'll say this. I love mac lipsticks. I think they are great. I really love the depth of the color that this red offers, however because it's a matte, it's SUPER dry. As in, I always have to prime my lips with some kind of gloss or lipbalm first in order to get it on or else it feels like this stuff is caked on which I think defeats the purpose of a matte. But, like I said, it's a lovely color.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by beautifulsah

A true deep red. Beautiful color. I always turn heads and get compliments when I wear this lipstick shade. The only downside is, its so dry!!!! I wish it was a bit creamier then it would be perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 11:56:00 PM More reviews by luineumaiel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let's face it, any sort of bright red is not anything close to the natural shade of a woman's lips. So while you're trying to rock the bright red lips, might as well go all out with Ruby Woo. It is a highly pigmented, matte shade of bright red. It goes on extremely smooth, with an almost velvety finish. If your lips are dry, have some lip balm/moisturiser on hand because this does tend to settle into lines if your lips haven't been scrubbed dead-skin-free beforehand. I think this is the one shade that looks fabulous on women regardless of their skin tone - you can see for yourself how good it looks on women of all skin tones : http://www.realbeauty.com/makeup/how-to/best-red-lipstick-shade

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2012 4:09:00 PM More reviews by melllm

I usually prefer a less vibrant, darker red, but this is really pretty. It is bold so I really only use it once in a while for a night out. But the formula is really nice. I like that it is matte but it can be a little drying. I recommend beginning with exfoliated and lightly moisturized lips and then apply with a brush.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by MsHepburn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As far as reds go, this isn't as retro as I expected it to be. It is super, super bright, which you really have to be prepared for. If I layer it on really heavily I can get it quite intense, but if I blot it turns almost fuchsia on me. I do think this is an absolutely stunning colour but I think it's a little too pink for me at the end of the day. My skintone is hard to describe. I'm half Dutch, half Moroccan, and my skin is pretty light in the wintertime but with olive undertones, if that makes sense. I can look very grey and pasty in winter and I wanted a bright red lipstick for the party season that would warm up my complexion. I think this colour looks a bit garish on me, but I have seen it on both darker skinned girls and very pale girls and it looked stunning on both, so I'm not sure why it doesn't suit me.

I also have Viva Glam I but that is a bit too brown. The search continues.

Edit 26 October 2012:

Well... I think I found my perfect colour after all. If I mix a little bit of Viva Glam I into this, it's the perfect vivid intense glamour red. It just deepens it a little bit without turning it too brownish... I love it! Also, I noticed that there is a HUGE difference in how this lipstick looks on me depending on the lighting. If I'm outside in broad daylight or inside with lots of light, either from amps or daylight, Ruby Woo looks just a little too bright and pink on me. However, if I'm in dimmed lighting or a less well lit room, it looks very deep and sexy.

I'm guessing this would be perfect for a candlelit dinner or an evening gala with festive lighting, but it doesn't suit me for that 'funky girl on the street' look that I love on other girls.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2012 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Kiwistace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am quite pale NW15 with huge lips and white blonde hair so was worried that this color would take over my face (as many bright lipsticks do). It's perfect. I love the mat retro feel to this. I wear it with gold shimmery shadow and a liquid liner and it looks just gorgeous - very 50s style.
Not a color for the faint hearted but absolutely love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by msmarielliejellie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a gorgeous deep red color that's very wearable. I got this from my back to Mac when I swatched it in the store and the SA complimented me and saying to looks perfect on my skintone. I love that it is matte, a bit of a struggle to get it on perfectly but I find that it makes it more wearable because it isn't out there. Apart from wearing it full on, I like using this as a tint. I dab it lightly on my lips and use my finger to blend it out. It lasts FOREVER when used this way. A perfect lippie for someone who wants a 2 second makeover from day to night.