April 19, 2014 | 1976 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2012 4:38:00 AM More reviews by pinkkpikachu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS LIPSTICK!!! It is matte so it can be drying, but that also means it has a lot of staying power. It's a tad expensive but well worth the money, you wont find any true reds that look this good on EVERY skin color at the drugstore. This lipstick looks retro, but also very sophisticated. I thought I would look trashy with this bright red color on my NC42 skin color, but I look very elegant. Especially with the matte finish on my oily skin. I LOVE IT! WILL REPURCHASE!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

I will make my two cents short and sweet:

Absolutely gorgeous true bright red. Makes teeth look white and brightens complexion. Perfect for that pin-up, sex kitten look. I cannot imagine how this would look bad on anyone. Flawless, gorgeous, perfection.

Drier than the Sahara. The driest lipstick known to man. Did I mention it is dry? None of the mattes are even half as bad as Ruby Woo but I can deal because the colour is heavenly.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by vipervixen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Beautiful deep bold red, matte (kind of drying so exfoliate and moisturise lips before wearing and after removal of lippy). This really livens up your face. It can give you the pin up look as well. Suits my complexion quite well, NC40-42.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2012 8:58:00 AM More reviews by BelleFemme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I went to the MAC counter yesterday to FINALLY try this color since it has been getting rave reviews for years. I am AA and have seen women of all colors pull this color off. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. It just looked so flat against my skin. I think because it lacked blue undertones. It looks gorgeous on a lot of women, so i would suggest that you go try it on first and not totally go by this review. And looks stunning on my best friend. But yeah, I didn't purchase it yesterday. I actually couldn't wait to leave the store to take it off so I wouldn't offend the woman who put it on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by nicolablowfish

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

i dont know how i ever lived without this lipstick. i wear it damn near every day; it is the most incredible, bold, striking blue-red i have ever seen and the matte finish gives it a real edge other lipsticks lack. everyone always comments on how much they love it, WELL worth the extra few pounds!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 3:26:00 PM More reviews by candiceamber

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had been looking for a really good quality matte red lipstick for a while and upon reading reviews and watching tutorials I decided to pop into my local MAC shop and buy it.
It's a little pricier than I would go for as I would never usually spend more than Ģ6 on a lipstick however I have to say this was worth every penny.
It gives you a perfect expensive looking matte colour and lasts for hours.
As it is very matte I suggest not using it if your lips are cracked and if you have dry lips using a tiny bit of lip balm or Vaseline as a base.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 4:49:00 AM More reviews by KatDeClay13

I LOVE THIS LIPSTICK. if your going for a classic red lip this is the product to use! Its so matte smooth and the color is like nothing Ive ever seen.If you dont like matte lipstick dont use this lipstick!(i cannot stress this enough) If you have chapped lips used a lipscrub! If you feel its too drying dab chapstick on it! (love doing that highly recommend it) All the work is totally worth it the texture is so vibrant and velvety soft and smooth I cannot say enough about this lipstick. I have been searching for the true blue classic red lipstick for me for 3 years and I have found it! I didnt see anyone mention for some reason the smell of this lipstick. It smell so delicious! It smells like cookies! I wanted just to eat it! Super light weight lasts forever but easy to get off. If you find that it bleeds on you use lip liner,lip primer, or dab some transparent powder all around your mouth. But it doesnt taste like anything which I love because if it were to taste like something good I would end up having no lipstick on by the end of the day...
EDIT: I dont recommend using anything as a base for the lipstick especially petroleum based its going to slip right off and not last just use a lip scrub or exfoliate your lips before hand. Then i would say AFTER you apply the lipstick to dap on some chapstick it WILL last and be just as pigmented. Dont put carmex over it. (bad experience)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2012 4:37:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

On my search among MAC red lipsticks, I tried Ruby Woo.
The paleness of my skin makes it hard for me to find a good red, because I donīt want to look like a clown with red lipstick. Many red lipsticks look too dark or too clownish on my lips.
For reference: Iīm a MAC NC 20/ BB sand with pale skin and a neutral-olive undertone. I have amber eyes, black lashes and eyebrows and brown hair.
My favourite MA was hesistant for letting me try it, because she hates the dryness of this lipstick.
But I wanted to try, especially as Russian Red was desastrous on my lips and MAC Red was nice-looking, but not very longlasting on my lips.
And I was rewarded with a beautiful, blue-based clear red on my lips, very vintage, very glamouros. The matte formula makes it look classy, old hollywood and never ever tacky or cheap. Of course, the colour is bold and bright. I hadnīt had the courage to wear this colour when I was younger, but now, I love to wear this red. Makes me feel sophisticated and chic and goes with everything from torn jeans to a little black dress.
As I tried it on my best friend, who has pink undertones in her skin and is even paler than I am, it was still beautiful and worked for her, but looked more yellow-based.
Seems it develops differently on every woman, which is why I donīt claim this works on every woman.
The formula is a matte, which clearly isnīt everbodyīs darling. Yes, it is drying as hell, but I love the lasting power this formula gives the lipstick. The MAC Red was a satin and gone in 5 minutes on my lips. You got to decide, if you can tolerate the formula, because it has the big plus of lasting and lasting. With a more moist lipstick, I woudnīt feel so secure and would always fear, the it smears around my lips and face. Anyway, I donīt wear it everyday and I prepare my lips with a srub and good layer of Eight Hour cream overnight.
I do use a lip liner, but none of MACs lip liners. I tried Cherry lip liner and it worked fine, but I found a much cheaper alternative in a German drugstore (Manhattan x-treme last lipliner 44N). I follow Lisa Eldridges tutorial on matte red lips and work the colour in my lips with a lip brush. That makes it stay longer and look fresh all day.
And it doesnīt smear too much on coffee cups or when you eat, which I like.
But I admit, I wear it in the office and I can check any time if thereīs something wrong with the lipstick. I wonīt lie to you: This is easier to maintain than other red lipsticks, but red lipsticks are always high-maintenance.
I love this lipstick and I suggest trying it if thatīs possible. I dare to say, it looks good on most women, but youīve got to test, how it works on your skin and lip tone.
I call it "the red lipstick test". Does it make your teeth look white? Does it work, when you wear no make-up at all? Does it make you look old and tired or fresh and young?
Any way, for me, it works and I can wear it without any other make-up and it still looks good on me. Makes my eyes sparkle and makes me look fresh and glamorous.
Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by aylla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

This is the most matte lipstick I have ever owned. Because of that, it is a bit dry to apply and it applies like a paint. However, it DOES NOT feel dry or look dry. I loved to see that it didn't show any cracks on my lips or anything, although I can see why some reviewers with really dry lips have complained. It can cling to skin.
The red is absolutely amazing!!!
I was concerned it would look odd on my yellow undertones since it is very blue-based, it does not. I like it much better than Russian Red.
Every time I wear this lipstick I get so many complements! And I am usually the 'my-lips-but-better' kind of girl.

If you are still insecure about the color, there is a really great Drugstore dupe. It is 901 matte lipstick from Wet'n'wild. It looks really similar, but I have to say that its lasting power and smoothness aren't as great.

I will absolutely buy it again if I ever run out!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by MandyniX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I feel like this is the kinda lipstick you either adore or hate. Personally I love it! Its matte doesn't really transer and lasts FOREVER. It is very dry but I love the matte true red retro look it gives me.