December 17, 2014 | 1682 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 3 of 5 on 9/27/2007 4:14:00 PM More reviews by moshi24

I bought this and at first I liked it, BUT after 2 weeks of using it....I noticed some pimples on my chin and I stopped using it. For my skin, it was too drying and I personally like Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree soap better. If you compare the ingredients in this soap, Desert Essence has almost 20 ingredients, while DB only has 4 ingredients. I still have half the bottle under my sink that I haven't used. It was just too drying for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2007 7:23:00 PM More reviews by crink

I bought this on a whim several years ago without looking at the ingredients. When I got it home I looked and was like, crap, it's castile soap and a bunch of oils, this will drive my skin nuts.

Based on this site I actually decided to try it. I love this stuff! It keeps my temperamental, breakout-prone skin looking generally decent which is better than I can say for almost all other products I'm tried. It is thin, which is fine once you get used to it, and I actually like the smell.

I went to Europe for a month this past summer and it did a major number on my face, due to a combination of sunscreen (sorry, there is no such thing as a non-comedogenic sunscreen as far as I'm concerned) and the fact that I used some random cleanser so it would be small enough to fit in my carryon. This cleanser got me back to looking human again, a feat for which I am eternally grateful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2007 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Jubilee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG! This may have just becme my HG of face washes. I bought a bottle of this at my local health food store because I had just run out of my previous wash. Yes, I agree with the posters who have said it's watery, but that didn't seem to bother me much. This stuff stuff made my skin look the best it EVER has. PERIOD! Plus where a normal bottle of face wash lasts me around 2 months, this lasted much longer. Two squirts was all I would ever need. and with the pump top it made it easy to use in the shower. I know many have said it was drying, but I never experienced any of that. Just clear, glowing skin. If you have Combo skin like me, I definitely recommend you try it.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2007 10:51:00 AM More reviews by jennyguest

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product seemed like a dream in the begining.. natural, cheap and gave me clear skin. However that was just the calm before the storm. This seemed to clog some of my pores, and only intially helped with my acne. I think it was just too drying for my face. I'm still battling some of the flesh colored bumps this product gave me....

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2007 8:25:00 PM More reviews by chelssix

This is the best product I've ever used. It's the only cleanser that has ever worked for me, and I love that it's a natural product.
The smell is a little strong, but I've gotten used to that. Also, the bottle leaks sometimes.
Overall, I would recommend this product to anyone. Everyone I know that has tried it love it too.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2007 10:17:00 AM More reviews by cassie785l

I have to rave about this product! It's been 6 months since I started using this face wash, and it's amazing, and at $8.99 a bottle it's a steal. The only reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5 is because the smell is a bit offensive, and also the packaging quality is not so good-the bottle tends to leak since the formula is so thin. I have always had a horrible problem with breakouts, but since using this face wash the only time I get even the smallest pimple is if I skip washing at night and sleep in my makeup (which should be expected anyway). It is the only thing I use to wash my face, morning and night. It is also incredibly effective in removing makeup-I haven't had to use eye-makeup remover since I bought this stuff. Moisturizer is a must though since this can be a bit drying. I would highly recomend this to people with combo or oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2007 9:25:00 AM More reviews by Mikella

I bought this 5 days ago, and thus far I am very pleased with this product :) I have sensitive, combination, acne prone skin. My skin is very fair and tends to be uneven, so I wear foundation.. I've been striving to find products that really calm my skin and don't strip it. I've been using this cleanser twice a day so far, and I am happy thus far! My skin doesn't look "stressed", doesn't feel tight or dry and is looking pretty darn even!... I've also been using Earth Science almond-aloe moisturizer (unscented), and jojoba oil at night, plus a natural toner, etc. So I guess the whole combination is helping. The scent isn't very nice, but it's not totally offensive! It doesn't bother me, I'd rather have a cleanser just do a good job. You need the TINIEST bit, it foams up sooo much. So you definitely don't need a whole pump.. I just pump it until the tinnnniest amount comes out, and stop. So the bottle isn't the greatest thing for it, it would be nice if you didn't have to be so careful pumping it out.. a full pump would wash your whole body! Speaking of that, I think this would be a great cleanser for your whole body as well. But thus far, I am really happy. I didn't expect to like it to be honest. Anybody reviewing that says they broke out or were irritated in one area due to this cleanser - their problem is it wasn't washed off well enough. If your skin really doesn't like it, it will irritate your whole face. It does sting your eyes, so be careful.... use a baby cloth to remove it from your face... rinse rinse rinse. It leaves oil on your skin, but it's just a little, really good for your skin. You can't see it, just feel it if you're in the shower. Once your face is dry, it looks totally normal. It leaves your skin so comfortable. I haven't have a problem with it being too drying at all, but I also use moisturizer (and everybody probably should anyways). I'd recommend this to anybody that is used to using product after product for problem skin.......... I think I was just stripping my skin too much, constantly. If this didn't have tea tree oil in it, I wouldn't have tried it.. because I think I need something in there to kill bacteria, help keep my skin clear (as possible). Give this a try :) I'm not entirely sure on my rating since I do need to give it a longer try, so I will be back to update. Hopefully I'll continue to like it this much! I'm sure I will.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2007 2:32:00 PM More reviews by candigirl72

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

~*+*~UPDATE~*+*~ I have changed my rating on this. This cleanser if used more than a few days in a row causes my skin to dry out. I was left with parched skin with a rough to the touch texture. Will not purchse again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2007 12:05:00 PM More reviews by beentheredonethat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love reading some of these reviews where people discuss how horrible this is because it has castile, etc. None of the ingredients in this cleanser are "bad"- in fact, they're rather good- they all exist in nature, rather than being lab-made chemical concotions and that, imho, is a good thing. I'd rather use this than something loaded with crap like sodium laureth sulfate or PEG-8, etc. I actually think this is a decent cleanser. It doesn't strip at all, in fact, my gripe with it is that it doesn't leave me all squeaky clean which as an oily-skinned person I prefer, and I have to use a toner to get the film it leaves off my face. I feel like I rinse and rinse and rinse yet I'm still not getting the slippery feeling off my face! I currently follow cleansing with this with the Dessert Essence cleansing pads and then I feel like I'm completely clean. You cannot use it on your eyes or near your eye area, so that's a big negative for me. In fact, my gripe with this cleanser is it's too much work to make it work for me. If you prefer a cleanser that leaves a trace of emollient behind, you might like this. Very medicinal tea tree scent, which I sort of like.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2007 4:20:00 PM More reviews by penh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think if you have acne prone skin and are looking for something to work on the acne without drying you out too badly, this might work. But only if you have acne prone skin!
I have irritated my skin horribly with this stuff. I have dry, itchy skin with itchy red bumps toward my jawline. It's got to be this stuff! I will not use it again on my 40-something, clear skin. Another reviewer mentioned how it had castile soap, which is detergent, in it. That's how my skin feels right now, like I scrubbed it down with Dawn. I have been using it sporadically for about 10 days now and I think I won't ever use it again. Just my two cents!