July 29, 2014 | 1528 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Lourdesmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Def. good for a long night out ... super matte, but hard to apply. finally figured it looks best with a damp beauty blender... the coverage is good but i still need a concealer for my acne scars..
would purchase again, but eh didn't wow me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by gimmeglamour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE. This is my new HG foundation. I was hesitant upon purchasing it, because I generally do not spend that much on foundation, but I figured it wasn't too far from the $28 I usually spend on MAC Studio Sculpt, so it was worth a try. I LOVE THIS. I do not have to use any concealer when I wear it and it lasts all day. I purchased this in Fresco (I'm an NW20 in MAC) & wow, the color couldn't have matched my skin any more perfectly. My grandma used to use this before she passed, and so I always associated Estee Lauder with senior citizens, but it is my new favorite and I am sure once I run out if I can afford it, I'll repurchase. My only qualm, is that I wish it had a pump applicator, instead of the screw off bottle. It is easy to get this all over the bottle and on other products, since I do use my fingers to apply it. Other than that & the price, no complaints here!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 10:58:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am reviewing the new formula of Double Wear that Estee Lauder released in 2012.

Estee Lauder recently vamped up their formula and also came out with new shades that have more of a warm-yellow undertone. I was matched to the shades, 2W2 Rattan & 3W2 Cashew mixed together, which suits my NC35 coloring but I didn't want to purchase both so I decided to get the lighter shade Rattan and just use a bronzer. Cashew I believe would be perfect for someone who is NC40 and Rattan would suit between NC25 - NC30.

I have very oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin and this is definitely a matte, long wearing foundation that can withstand humidity/heat better than any foundation I've tried. It keeps my t-zone matte reasonably, I only have to blot and powder by lunchtime on a working day and it doesn't aggravate my skin or cause breakouts but I have noticed slight clogged pores especially around my nose, but no breakouts.

It lasts beautifully, I've gone through a whole work day and into the night and I still have a relatively matte, concealed complexion, its amazing for its lasting power! I apply this with my fingers to warm up the product so that its easier to spread. If I needed to pick at something, it would be the application; Its not very "spreadable" and you have to buff it in fast, but as long as you get the hand of it, it looks flawless.

This does dry down a bit 'stiff' feeling. I can't explain it but you can feel it on your skin and it is not moisturising whatsoever. It feels very noticeable for me personally when I have it on. I was quite surprised when I used this for the first time, after reading so much reviews and watching people on YouTube applying this endless amounts of time, I expected it to be full coverage but it isn't. This new formula has a medium-buildable coverage and I needed to go over certain areas with more foundation or concealer.

Double Wear does have SPF and it unfortunately does flash back for me, so it's not the best for flash photography.

The packaging is classy with the gold lid and frosted glass but no pump which I'm not impressed with for a high-end foundation. I prefer pumps for hygeine so for the price I would expect one.

Overall, I'm happy that I picked this up as its fast become a favourite for extreme heat and humidity. I feel it is a bit heavy for my liking if I wear it all over so I like to use this exclusively in my t-zone to control oil which is works great for. Highly recommend you try this out!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by JennStang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Double Wear foundation has been my Holy Grail for many, many years. I have super oily skin, and this foundation used to be the only one that could even begin to stand up to the oil slick that is my face. Note the key words "used to" in the previous sentence. About a week ago, I was running low on my bottle of DW in Dusk (2C1), so I ran out to Belk to get another bottle. I knew that EL recently added some new colors in the DW line, and I knew they'd taken out the SPF (which I wasn't happy about, but trusted that the oil control and the shade I wear would still be the same for me). When I got to Belk, I saw that Dusk is now labeled as 3C1, and it's darker than my old bottle of Dusk (which still has a tiny bit left). The EL counter person encouraged me to try Dusk anyway, even though I was fairly certain it would be too dark. It was, so a couple days later, I go back to Belk to attempt to find my shade. I have pink undertones, so the cool shades normally work best for me. This time, the counter person gave me 1N1 (Ecru)...it was too light. So tonight, I'll be returning it, and I probably will not even attempt to get matched up with another shade. I hate that EL chose to remove the SPF- even though an SPF of 10 isn't much, it's still better than nothing. I've also noticed that I get oil breakthrough a LOT sooner than I used to, now that EL has this new formula. It doesn't have the staying power that the old formula did. Overall, I was very impressed with the old formula, and would've given it 5 stars easily. This new formula doesn't even begin to compare to the old formula, and I really don't understand why EL wanted to fix something that wasn't broken. I'm very disappointed with the new DW, and judging by the reviews on the EL website, I,m definitely not the only one. Lots of ladies are complaining about the same things I am: less staying power, no SPF, and issues with finding their correct shade in the new formula. I guess it's time to start the search for another brand of foundation that will work for my oily skin, which won't be an easy task. I would not buy this foundation again, unless EL goes back to their old formula and shades.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Indiiii293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Positives: This product is perfect if you have oily skin. My own skin has always been super oily and I have always found that foundations stay matte for only a few hours until eventually looking super greasy :(. I bought double wear due to the highly positive reviews on it keeping your skin matte all day. To my surprise and joy it did just that! I have never had a foundation which kept my skin soooo matte. I was amazed getting home after a 9 hour shift that my skin was still matte...without using powder.

Negatives: Although the bottle is classy, it is really hard to get the foundation out of as it has no pump. Probably the biggest flaw of DW is how I find it really hard to apply and spread on my skin as it dries super quickly. I would definitely NOT recommend this product for dry skin as it will highlight any dry areas and is not hydrating. It would probably be easier to apply after using a moisturizer and/or primer.

Overall this product gave me what I wanted, matte skin! Due to this I would probably buy again however it is pricey for a student like me.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by ILoveHotMom88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

{Sigh} How I love this liquid foundation, it's one of the best out there. I've used Mac for Years and wanted to try something new. I wear the color spice, It is full coverage and gives a flawless look but unfortunately it made me breakout in cystic acne!!!!! So this will no longer be used by me. Such a shame, I heard they changed the ingredients maybe that has something to do with it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by missdeeee

I always have to switch from foundations to foundation and I am STILL trying to find that HG foundation...(so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!!!)
The MA artist matched me to a shade darker than my original skin tone because I'm very pale but I have severe acne scars that are really red. She said that's the best way to balance out the two extreme colours on my skin. Unfortunately, I honestly don't really like the foundation. I find that, well probably because it doesn't even match my skin tone to begin with, it is way too orangey for me. It also dries a little patchy and I find that it clings to my pores a lot. The weird thing about it is that I always look really oily after I apply it, no matter if I set it with power + urban decay setting spray/oil spray..nothing seems to really help? At the same time it magnifies lines too and it looks and feels like a mask..
I don't think I'll be repurchasing this product after I'm done.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by aridgewood

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

If you asked me 3 months ago to review this product, I would have praised it as my Holy Grail foundation. I have used ELDW for over 10 years, and it was everything that it promised. I was Fresco 2N2, and it matched my skin perfectly - something I have always struggled with. I loved the coverage, and even with dry skin it worked on me (damp sponge application and good moisturizer is the key). But sadly, EL changed both the formula and their colors a few months ago and I am devastated (read the reviews on EL's website - at least I'm not alone). The new Fresco went from Neutral to Cool, but looks orange. The formula is very different. Instead of adding colors, they discontinued some and changed the others. None of the new shades match my skin, so after 10 years I am back to searching for the perfect foundation elsewhere. If you've never used Double Wear, maybe the new shades and formula will work for you, but for many of us long-time users it's a total disappointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by puttay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think the negative reviews about this foundation being cakey and thick are from individuals who doesn't know how to apply it.

This is the kind of foundation where you absolutely NEED to apply with a damp makeup sponge.

I have applied it with my fingers a few times, but is goes on too thick and end up looking cakey, and because it is so thick it also make cracks in the fine lines around the eyes and mouth.

It also dry VERY quick, and if it is not on in time, it will start looking unnatural and patchy - so I would not recommend building up the coverage.

HOWEVER if you know how to apply a light layer, it looks GREAT, has good coverage and lasts all day !

I have acne, and the most oily skin, and this is the only foundation I have used who have controlled my oily skin, and not given me more acne.

But for me it is just too much work. I often have a hard time applying it fast enough, and have to remove all and re-apply it!

On rare occasions, because the foundation is like concrete, the oil in my skin goes "through" the foundation and create huge looking pores instead of just making my face look greasy - which is almost worse!! You cannot "fix" it, and need to remove all the foundation and re-apply! (or I at least have to)

So I recommend this foundation for people with acne and light oily skin. Not people with dry skin, or VERY oily skin :o)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2013 12:30:00 PM More reviews by maggiethebeagle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I so wanted to love this product. I really need a good full coverage foundation for my extremely pale, acne-prone, scarred, large pored skin. I was color matched by the MA, but she had a hard time because I'm so pale. We ended up with Cool Bone. The positives - this does cover my pores & redness like a dream. However it feels a little odd on my skin. It doesn't budge, but it feels "not dry", I guess would be the best way to describe it. Even with powder over it. Another plus, it did not make me break out so it does get big props for that. Now the negatives: even though this was the lightest shade it was too dark for my skin. And it ended up oxidizing even more the longer I had it! I was very careful that I didn't contaminate the bottle, I poured out what I needed and then kept the bottle tightly closed but in one short month the color totally changed! I ended up returning it and changed to Revlon Colorstay Oily/Combo Skin.