July 22, 2014 | 1906 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by JennStang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Double Wear foundation has been my Holy Grail for many, many years. I have super oily skin, and this foundation used to be the only one that could even begin to stand up to the oil slick that is my face. Note the key words "used to" in the previous sentence. About a week ago, I was running low on my bottle of DW in Dusk (2C1), so I ran out to Belk to get another bottle. I knew that EL recently added some new colors in the DW line, and I knew they'd taken out the SPF (which I wasn't happy about, but trusted that the oil control and the shade I wear would still be the same for me). When I got to Belk, I saw that Dusk is now labeled as 3C1, and it's darker than my old bottle of Dusk (which still has a tiny bit left). The EL counter person encouraged me to try Dusk anyway, even though I was fairly certain it would be too dark. It was, so a couple days later, I go back to Belk to attempt to find my shade. I have pink undertones, so the cool shades normally work best for me. This time, the counter person gave me 1N1 (Ecru)...it was too light. So tonight, I'll be returning it, and I probably will not even attempt to get matched up with another shade. I hate that EL chose to remove the SPF- even though an SPF of 10 isn't much, it's still better than nothing. I've also noticed that I get oil breakthrough a LOT sooner than I used to, now that EL has this new formula. It doesn't have the staying power that the old formula did. Overall, I was very impressed with the old formula, and would've given it 5 stars easily. This new formula doesn't even begin to compare to the old formula, and I really don't understand why EL wanted to fix something that wasn't broken. I'm very disappointed with the new DW, and judging by the reviews on the EL website, I,m definitely not the only one. Lots of ladies are complaining about the same things I am: less staying power, no SPF, and issues with finding their correct shade in the new formula. I guess it's time to start the search for another brand of foundation that will work for my oily skin, which won't be an easy task. I would not buy this foundation again, unless EL goes back to their old formula and shades.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Indiiii293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Positives: This product is perfect if you have oily skin. My own skin has always been super oily and I have always found that foundations stay matte for only a few hours until eventually looking super greasy :(. I bought double wear due to the highly positive reviews on it keeping your skin matte all day. To my surprise and joy it did just that! I have never had a foundation which kept my skin soooo matte. I was amazed getting home after a 9 hour shift that my skin was still matte...without using powder.

Negatives: Although the bottle is classy, it is really hard to get the foundation out of as it has no pump. Probably the biggest flaw of DW is how I find it really hard to apply and spread on my skin as it dries super quickly. I would definitely NOT recommend this product for dry skin as it will highlight any dry areas and is not hydrating. It would probably be easier to apply after using a moisturizer and/or primer.

Overall this product gave me what I wanted, matte skin! Due to this I would probably buy again however it is pricey for a student like me.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by ILoveHotMom88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

{Sigh} How I love this liquid foundation, it's one of the best out there. I've used Mac for Years and wanted to try something new. I wear the color spice, It is full coverage and gives a flawless look but unfortunately it made me breakout in cystic acne!!!!! So this will no longer be used by me. Such a shame, I heard they changed the ingredients maybe that has something to do with it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by missdeeee

I always have to switch from foundations to foundation and I am STILL trying to find that HG foundation...(so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!!!)
The MA artist matched me to a shade darker than my original skin tone because I'm very pale but I have severe acne scars that are really red. She said that's the best way to balance out the two extreme colours on my skin. Unfortunately, I honestly don't really like the foundation. I find that, well probably because it doesn't even match my skin tone to begin with, it is way too orangey for me. It also dries a little patchy and I find that it clings to my pores a lot. The weird thing about it is that I always look really oily after I apply it, no matter if I set it with power + urban decay setting spray/oil spray..nothing seems to really help? At the same time it magnifies lines too and it looks and feels like a mask..
I don't think I'll be repurchasing this product after I'm done.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by aridgewood

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

If you asked me 3 months ago to review this product, I would have praised it as my Holy Grail foundation. I have used ELDW for over 10 years, and it was everything that it promised. I was Fresco 2N2, and it matched my skin perfectly - something I have always struggled with. I loved the coverage, and even with dry skin it worked on me (damp sponge application and good moisturizer is the key). But sadly, EL changed both the formula and their colors a few months ago and I am devastated (read the reviews on EL's website - at least I'm not alone). The new Fresco went from Neutral to Cool, but looks orange. The formula is very different. Instead of adding colors, they discontinued some and changed the others. None of the new shades match my skin, so after 10 years I am back to searching for the perfect foundation elsewhere. If you've never used Double Wear, maybe the new shades and formula will work for you, but for many of us long-time users it's a total disappointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by puttay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think the negative reviews about this foundation being cakey and thick are from individuals who doesn't know how to apply it.

This is the kind of foundation where you absolutely NEED to apply with a damp makeup sponge.

I have applied it with my fingers a few times, but is goes on too thick and end up looking cakey, and because it is so thick it also make cracks in the fine lines around the eyes and mouth.

It also dry VERY quick, and if it is not on in time, it will start looking unnatural and patchy - so I would not recommend building up the coverage.

HOWEVER if you know how to apply a light layer, it looks GREAT, has good coverage and lasts all day !

I have acne, and the most oily skin, and this is the only foundation I have used who have controlled my oily skin, and not given me more acne.

But for me it is just too much work. I often have a hard time applying it fast enough, and have to remove all and re-apply it!

On rare occasions, because the foundation is like concrete, the oil in my skin goes "through" the foundation and create huge looking pores instead of just making my face look greasy - which is almost worse!! You cannot "fix" it, and need to remove all the foundation and re-apply! (or I at least have to)

So I recommend this foundation for people with acne and light oily skin. Not people with dry skin, or VERY oily skin :o)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2013 12:30:00 PM More reviews by maggiethebeagle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I so wanted to love this product. I really need a good full coverage foundation for my extremely pale, acne-prone, scarred, large pored skin. I was color matched by the MA, but she had a hard time because I'm so pale. We ended up with Cool Bone. The positives - this does cover my pores & redness like a dream. However it feels a little odd on my skin. It doesn't budge, but it feels "not dry", I guess would be the best way to describe it. Even with powder over it. Another plus, it did not make me break out so it does get big props for that. Now the negatives: even though this was the lightest shade it was too dark for my skin. And it ended up oxidizing even more the longer I had it! I was very careful that I didn't contaminate the bottle, I poured out what I needed and then kept the bottle tightly closed but in one short month the color totally changed! I ended up returning it and changed to Revlon Colorstay Oily/Combo Skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by travelkay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i've tried so many foundations. I keep wanting to find something magical by another product line but I always go back to DoubleWear. It's good coverage. It DOESN'T make me break out and it doesn't wear off or smear on clothes. You will still need a powder over it as it's not as matte as I need. But 5 years tells me it's a winner!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2013 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Victoriajane89

I had a colour match and was given a 10 day sample to try... First impression was good. It's quite thick and is definitely a full coverage foundation, I don't have bad skin so this was far too heavy for my skin. As for controlling the oil I didn't notice any difference to a drug store foundation.

After using for 2 days I still wasn't impressed and noticed more blemishes coming up... I stopped using immediately.

The packaging is classy but not practical.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/11/2013 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Straighttalk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been a professional makeup artist for over 15 years and have always believed that foundation should only improve upon your skin and you,not cover it all up. Double Wear foundation looks like you are wearing a mask on your face. It looks "like your wearing makeup", not like skin. It definitely is a foundation that wears very well. You couldn't budge it with a chisel.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No