Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser

3.0

Water Purified, Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C12-15 Pareth-15 Sulfonate, Salicylic Acid, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Red 40, Fragrance 5/29/09

on 2/26/2008 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Ok i have mixed feelings for this one. I first tried this at my friend's house because i forgot my normal cleanser at home (dr. Hauschka cleansing cream) so i borrowed hers in the morning. I was scared to use this because i had tried neutrogena before and i found it way to drying. Anyways, after one pump i started to blend it and mix it with my fingers lol my friend said it feels really weird how its so gelly! I put it on and it lathered nicely but not too much which i hate because the suds will go up my nose or in my eyes or watever! So after rinsing i was suprised how this didnt dry out my skin! it didnt feel tight at all! So i bought one the other day and i use it in the evening in the shower. However i put it down 2 lippies because i have noticed that my skin is developing random rough patches! SCARY i dont like that! So i dont think ill buy this again but im happy to finish this bottle! EDIT: i am using this in the shower every once in a while on my neck and chest area, because it does a gd job of deep cleansing. so i don't use it on my face anymore!

on 2/14/2008 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The first thing i like about this product is the scent. It smells really soft and soothing. Unlike the medicated, sterile scent that i expected. My skin felt really soft and smooth after cleansing. However, after several washes i felt a burning sensation on the skin around my nose. This happens to me after using all neutrogena products. With the great reviews on this cleanser, i had to try it. It cleanses really well, but my skin tend to get irritated after a few washes. So, i wont be using this stuff everyday.

on 1/22/2008 1:16:00 AM

This is the only thing that works to keep my face clear. I am very prone to blackheads and pimples. I was feeling a bit stingy on this stuff and tried to find something a bit cheaper or better value because it always seems expensive in the beauty aisle at the supermarket to put a whole $14 in the basket with one item. And my skin was no good for months until I finally caved in again. What an idiot. It is so worth it even if it's not the cheapest one around. I love the smell of it too, it smells very hygienic.
I use it in concert with a facial buffing brush from the body shop and that is enough exoliation to keep me pretty clear.
The only problem I have with it is the pump is very generous and so you go through it quite quickly if you depress the pump the whole way down. But that is not a big concern really is it.
I tried a few other neutrogena cleansers recently and whilst they are quite nice I think my skin really likes this one the best.

on 1/21/2008 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really Like this Cleanser.! It is a Tad Bit drying,... but i love the smell and clean feel. I have noticed that it has left me skin a little tight now in the Winter (you just need a good Moisturizer.) But i had no problems at all in warmer weather.

on 1/20/2008 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

At first it worked okay, but now all I can say that this is very drying. I like the cream version better, the gel one sucks like crap. I have oily skin, but this thing just sucked all the excess and necessary oil out of my face.

on 1/16/2008 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

It's okay, but it is not anything special. It cleans off makeup well only if I wash with it a couple of times. It does not make my skin feel tight which is a big plus. It does not keep the blackheads out of my nose which I have found other stronger cleansers to do. If you are looking for a gentle cleanser that does an average job without stripping your face go for this one. The price is reasonable enough for an so-so cleanser.

on 11/21/2007 10:15:00 PM

best facial cleaner ever. every other product caused problems with my skin. this one doesnt and leaves it feeling clean and smooth =)

on 10/12/2007 5:39:00 AM

Where I live, it is impossible to get Neutrogena products - except for the handcream and a bar of soap found on the lowest shelves. So whenever I go abroad, I stock Neutrogena which is my favourite skincare brand - it's cheap and it works!
I bought a pump bottle of Deep Clean in France this year and was quite happy about it. I needed something that would help me get rid of blackheads and not make my skin feel tight, and thought this would do the job.
And in fact, it doesnt make my skin shrink and dry out.
BUT, ever since I started using it I have been bothered with large, painfull bumps which takes weeks to get rid of - not many at a time, but always on a strangely visible place, like directly under my eye.
I'm not used to that. I usually don't even have pimples - but when I do get one, it's usually around the hairline or on my chin.
It didn't seem to help on my blackheads either.
I went on another trip some weeks ago, and my skin started clearing up - I didn't bring the Neutrogena with me.
Now I have been using it for 3 weeks again, and the bumps are back.
Sadly I must conclude that this product doesn't help me and I need to stop using it. Maybe it is not made for my skin - which isn't 20 anymore. I will update if it turns out that this cleanser isn't the problem.
A shame really, because it made my face feel clean and fresh without drying it out. I guess it works best with other types of skin.
Mine is sensitive combo.

on 9/24/2007 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This has been my HG for almost 10 years now, it removes all make-up, dirt and oil very fast, it leaves my face so clean! It smells clean too.

on 9/7/2007 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

i bought the liquid version of this cleanser and wow... it does what it says. my skin had been going crazy from the summer's fluctuating weather. i mean... i was getting cystic acne on my hairline, blackheads on and around my nose, whiteheads all over my forehead, and little pimples on my cheeks.... when my skin is usually dry and poreless.

i've used this for maybe a week and my blackheads and whiteheads are gone and my cystic acne is shrinking. i've got no pimples on my cheeks at all.

the reason it gets a 4 is because it's a little too harsh for my skin. after maybe 3 days of using it... i've had to alternate it with babywash, because i started getting a chemical burn. the irritation is not from overdrying--i use Lubriderm as a moisturizer with Eurcerin on my eyes and dry patches. it's the chemicals that are too harsh.

update 11/03/08: i've upped the rating to 5 stars. i went and got a water softening system and it became easier to clean my skin.... but for some reason, i was breaking out in white heads on my forehead and blackheads/zits along my jaw line and in front of my ears (where sideburns would go on a dude). i think it was from using soap that didn't rinse clean enough. i was using johnson's clean and clear... and it was cutting the oily residue... but not well enough to clear up the mild acne. a couple uses of this cleanser cleared it up again. in fact, i had no idea how much crap was being left on my skin. at the end of the day, my t zone is an oil slick. i wash my face and body with soap before using a cleanser on my face and this product made it feel like tons of leftover moisturizer, makeup, and all-around gunk was just melting off my face.

again, this update is from a soft-water perspective. in hard water, the chemicals in this cleanser burned my skin. in soft water, i've had absolutely no ill-effects whatsoever. then again, i moisturize really well afterwards. i'm gonna try this product for another week (it's been a week since i've started using this as part of my daily regimen) and see if it's still too harsh for my skin. as for right now, my skin is responding well to it. continued >>