E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.2

on 12/24/2012 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

be careful to not use too much powder on your face as it can make you look a bit grey. This is a great setting powder, and for the price it is so cheap! ive heard it compares to the MUFE HD powder but this is so much cheaper. i've already purchased backups for when i run out

on 12/22/2012 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely, 110%, LOVE this powder. It definitely reminds me (key word: reminds!) of MUFE's HD powder.
MUFE is 100% mineral silica powder, while ELF's powder has Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer with silica. The purpose for dimethicone and vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer is to help create the "soft, velvety/silky" feel. They're silicones (please note that, in case you are sensitive to dimethicone).
From my personal experience, they both did a great job and the staying power was great for both (about 8 hours for MUFE and about 6.5 hours for ELF. Yes it is less, however, the price for ELF is about 1/5 of the price for the full size container of the MUFE powder-- And a little more than 1/2 of the price compared to the travel size of MUFE).

Now, enough about comparisons. ELF's HD powder comes in a large, black plastic container and contains a powder puff inside. It's rather bulky; however, I do not mind since it holds tons of product in there. The only complaint I have with the container is that controlling how much of the product can be dispensed is rather tricky. I wish it was more like Bare Escentual's lock dispenser; it's a lot easier, less messier, and would help save product since it would cause less spillage/waste.

For my application, I definitely use the powder puff. I used to use a brush, however, I feel the powder puff works a lot better since it is less messier and I can really press the product onto my face. I've been using this product for a while and I have never seen a white cast on my face, especially during flash photography (I can see that if you do go overboard with any loose powder, a white cast can definitely show).

After all that has been said and done, my verdict stands as: it is an amazing product. I have repurchased it already (after using it for roughly 9-10 months and using it any where from 5-7 days of the week), and will continue to repurchase it when my seemingly large bulky plastic container runs out. :)

on 12/20/2012 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Really light translucent powder--does a great job mattifying without being drying. It is a steal at $6 although the packaging could be better (the lid can be hard to screw back on, and feels kind of cheap, but what can I complain about? It is $6 and has wonderful product inside). I still travel with Boots Translucent Powder due to its packaging, but this is a great powder to have at half the price.

I have to keep it away from my brown eyebrows though, because the powder can look a little dusty if I bump up against them.

on 12/19/2012 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Just bought this tonight for $6 in the shade Translucent. I was spurred on to get this after trying my mom's MUFE HD Powder tonight, which seemed amazing, but I could never pay those prices. :-(
So, I put on this Elf powder right when I got home, and I really like it! It somehow camouflaged my forehead wrinkles, which makes it practically HG in my book! I'm too young (25) for these wrinkles!
Feels velvety, is mattifying, and I could not discern any shimmer. The first powder to cover up my forehead lines! I did not notice any "white cast", but I also don't apply much, because I find all I need is to put the pouf over the powder filter, shake, and apply (patting/dabbing softly to "greasy" areas and areas with fine lines). Two times total for my whole face. Btw, I'm NW20, if that makes any difference to anyone. :-)
Note: I will keep using this powder, and update if it causes any breakouts. :-)

on 12/13/2012 4:36:00 PM

I've had this in corrective yellow and translucent. Sets my oily face to a matte silky finish for around 4h with l'oreal BB prior to application. Would definitely repurchase, ONLY IF elf.co.uk ran out of the sheer mineral booster large (which is cheaper and bigger quantity), and has similar effect on my face.

on 12/9/2012 1:31:00 AM

I love the product it is a all seasons product for winter and fall I just apply it with a lighter hand and with summer and spring I apply with a bit more of a heavy hand. I loathe the packaging it is bulky and if you don't keep that powder puff in it then when you open it the product leaks all over the place and gets all over everything I also find if the puff is not in there and you are traveling with it product can leak out even when closed properly. I have a bare minerals compact for loose powder and when I buy this product now I don't even remove the sticker inside I just lift out the clear sifter and pour some into the compact then store it till I need to add more I find much much less is wasted. But for a price of six dollars it is really a good product I tend to find this with elf good products bad packaging but its worth it you just need to think of ways around the packaging problems.

on 12/9/2012 12:52:00 AM

It took me awhile to jump on the hype of this product. I was initially put off by the potential of a white cast HD powders could bring, but purchased it on a whim after seeing a discount :D

This offers a smooth airbrushed finish which I absolutely adore. Seriously?! My pores appear photoshopped after using this. Regardless of what base products I've used, this offers a smooth finish when I use it as a setting powder. The oil control is average though, hence I tend to top it up with some Maybelline Dream Matte powder. It is gleeful to find out that there's no white cast on my NC20 skin(:

For this price it is definitely worth it!

on 12/1/2012 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is great to mattify and is better than normal powders but still not dry skin friendly.

on 12/1/2012 11:29:00 AM

This is a very very fine powder.. it has no scent... It does set on my skin nicely.. it also makes my skin look brighter... not as sheer as other setting powders I've tried.. I can see the powder set on my nose.. my skin has no oil after this setting powder,, the packaging is a huge bulky cube,, which takes up so much space,, make it more compact!!! I wouldnt buy it again because there are other products out there that I like better..

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have extremely sensative skin and this powder doesnt upset it at all which I wasnt expecting for a cheap 6$ product. It sets beautifully and feels silky to the touch and stays that way! It doesnt last any longer than 4 hours for me but I do have oily skin. I would definitely buy this product again but one must be very careful in the ammount of product you actually apply. It tends to look cakey if you dont buff and tap your brush first. Its e.l.f. and for 6$ this powder really does the job well.

Video Reviews & Tutorials