E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.2

on 1/14/2013 10:42:00 AM

I read the reviews before I bought this, hoping that for only $6 I'd be getting a great deal. First time I used it, it was actually ok. Made my face look great, felt super smooth and velvety. Day 2 however, I noticed my face was burning a little, but thought it might be the new BB cream I was using (which contains chem sunscreens). After the 3rd try, it was definitely this powder. My face not only burned, but shortly after started to itch like crazy and I had tiny little red bumps all over my face--not acne, but more like those you get with a reaction to something. I checked the ingredients and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. Definitely no bismuth oxychloride which is a problem for me, so I'm not sure what the problem ingredient is. Oh well, at least I'm only out $6.

on 1/12/2013 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this a long time ago in my very first ELF order, and just recently tried it out since I wanted to use up my other powder. I gotta say, this is definitely worth all the hype!

I typically apply this with a kabuki brush, by sticking the brush over the sifter and then turning the container upside down. I tried to tap some onto the lid, but that got very messy very fast. A little bit will go a long way in mattifying my face and setting my foundation. Don't use too much though! It'll lighten your foundation and look super bad in photography.

I like how there's no shimmer whatsoever in this, and the price can't be beat, of course. The puff that comes with it is of surprising quality as well, even though I don't use it much.

Pros: The E.L.F. HD powder is a good solution for those looking for a colorless, loose setting powder (like the pro's always recommend) without breaking the bank. When applied correctly (such as gently pressing the power into the skin from the puff and using a kabuki with downward strokes to remove excess) the powder provides a nice setting without imparting any sparkle or excessive sheen to the skin. In short, the texture appears perfectly natural.

Cons: However, applying an appropriate layer of the powder to set makeup can have a slight lightening effect. Also, the staying powder is typical but nothing outstanding.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

This powder was a pleasant surprise for the price of only $6. This powder does an excellent job at mattifying, smoothing imperfections and minimizing the appearance of pores. Just a light application is all that is needed. The price can't be beat. The container is a bit akward twist-off, the puff is functional. Lasts the better part of the day. A cheap gem in my beauty kit for those days I feel like being "smoothed", "poreless" and "mattified". I have dry skin and this powder does not cake or flake-bonus points!

on 1/4/2013 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I actually give it a 4.5. The only reason I hold back on a 5 is because it is crazy messy! ELF needs to make the packaging more like BE's newish packaging with the sift guard. However- that would probably raise the price.
The product itself is great stuff. I have started using this with my BE foundation rather than Mineral Veil. I definitely prefer this. A little goes a long way. If you put just a tiny bit on your face, it goes on clear and you will get a smooth and blended look. If you put too much, you can end up with a greyish film...but that really takes a lot. I put a tiny bit on between my foundation and bronzer. Then a tiny bit more after I add blush. This product is very messy so I recommend only peeling off the plastic dispenser guard 1/4 of the way. If you rip the whole thing off, you will have a mess every time you twist the lid of the canister off. Don't get MUF's HD powder or BE's Mineral Veil. This stuff blows both out of the water and is way cheaper!

on 1/2/2013 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a great setting powder. I hate the plastic grid thing so I popped it out & threw it away. Great product, pretty good packaging, and great price. You do have to be careful and not use too much of this stuff, because it is white. A little goes a LONG way.

on 12/30/2012 1:49:00 PM

I do love this product and agree with others that too much can make your face paler. I found it works best for me to apply BEFORE my blush and contouring. When I put it on after blush/contour, it washed them out. But it does a great job of mattefying my face and making it look less cakey. Great product!

on 12/24/2012 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

be careful to not use too much powder on your face as it can make you look a bit grey. This is a great setting powder, and for the price it is so cheap! ive heard it compares to the MUFE HD powder but this is so much cheaper. i've already purchased backups for when i run out

on 12/22/2012 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely, 110%, LOVE this powder. It definitely reminds me (key word: reminds!) of MUFE's HD powder.
MUFE is 100% mineral silica powder, while ELF's powder has Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer with silica. The purpose for dimethicone and vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer is to help create the "soft, velvety/silky" feel. They're silicones (please note that, in case you are sensitive to dimethicone).
From my personal experience, they both did a great job and the staying power was great for both (about 8 hours for MUFE and about 6.5 hours for ELF. Yes it is less, however, the price for ELF is about 1/5 of the price for the full size container of the MUFE powder-- And a little more than 1/2 of the price compared to the travel size of MUFE).

Now, enough about comparisons. ELF's HD powder comes in a large, black plastic container and contains a powder puff inside. It's rather bulky; however, I do not mind since it holds tons of product in there. The only complaint I have with the container is that controlling how much of the product can be dispensed is rather tricky. I wish it was more like Bare Escentual's lock dispenser; it's a lot easier, less messier, and would help save product since it would cause less spillage/waste.

For my application, I definitely use the powder puff. I used to use a brush, however, I feel the powder puff works a lot better since it is less messier and I can really press the product onto my face. I've been using this product for a while and I have never seen a white cast on my face, especially during flash photography (I can see that if you do go overboard with any loose powder, a white cast can definitely show).

After all that has been said and done, my verdict stands as: it is an amazing product. I have repurchased it already (after using it for roughly 9-10 months and using it any where from 5-7 days of the week), and will continue to repurchase it when my seemingly large bulky plastic container runs out. :)

on 12/20/2012 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Really light translucent powder--does a great job mattifying without being drying. It is a steal at $6 although the packaging could be better (the lid can be hard to screw back on, and feels kind of cheap, but what can I complain about? It is $6 and has wonderful product inside). I still travel with Boots Translucent Powder due to its packaging, but this is a great powder to have at half the price.

I have to keep it away from my brown eyebrows though, because the powder can look a little dusty if I bump up against them.

Video Reviews & Tutorials