November 27, 2014 | 1383 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2013 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Lissalam82

I don't believe I can add anything to a review for the Clarisonic Mia that hasn't already been said.

The bottom line is simply every girl must own one. Especially with advancement and improvements to newer models, it makes the Mia a bit cheaper but no less wonderful. There's different brush heads to match your skin type and they come in several delightful colors so every girl should be able to personalize their Mia to their liking.

I've had breakout problems through High School and as a young adult. I didn't have extremely bad acne, but there was always at least one big pimple somewhere on my face. It could be age or perhaps my hormones are more in check but I truly believe after the use of the Clarisonic Mia, my skin is now always clear! I get a lot of compliments how nice and clear my skin is.

I use it once a day about 5 days a week, in the mornings, to help take off any buildup from my night regimen. I also read in a magazine it's better to use in the mornings rather at night, if you had to pick once a day.

There was a period where I stopped using the Clarisonic Mia for about 2.5 months. The change wasn't right away but after about 2 months, my face wasn't as smooth as it was when using the Clarisonic Mia. It's definitely something I keep in my cleansing regimen for a long long long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by meru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this little tool. It has been sitting in my drawer for almost a year now. Last year I used it for 6 months every night. I experienced an initial purging period which lasted around 2 weeks. After that my skin felt so smooth and looked very clean. However, my skin was also drier when using this and compensated by excreting more oil even after I tried to put on richer moisturisers. Also this is what made me love and hate it at the same time: it aggravated my sensitive skin. Although my skin felt and looked so smooth and clean, my face was constantly red throughout the day! This is not good as it meant my face was irritated. I switched from the initial sensitive to delicate brush but that didn't help. In the end I stopped using it and it took a long time and a lot of effort to reduce the redness on my face.

UPDATE Feb 2014

Lately I have been really annoyed of my skin as it looked really dull and congested. Therefore I took out my clarisonic again, this time with great success. The trick was to use it with the La Roche Posay Cicaplast B5 baume after cleansing, this prevents my face from getting aggravated and red. It's been around a month since I started using the Clarisonic Mia again and I have seen improvements in my skin texture week by week, and it is still improving. Breakouts are now rare, unless I use the wrong make up or moisturiser, and facial redness has been reduced, oil production reduced as well. Skin tone is much more even and blackheads lessened.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by Breadyyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Update #28 day of using clarisonic (x1 a day):
I've decided to set aside my clarisonic indefinitely. It really pains me to do so as I was really expecting it to work on my skin :(.... But the dark spots left behind from the purge are still around.. Coupled with the more frequent clogged pores I see on the sides of my cheeks, just makes me wanna cry.. Perhaps it's a vicious cycle in which i use clarisonic to remove my thick make up which I use to cover my dark spots... And the clarisonic breaks me out again.. And I get more dark spots and the cycle repeats... I have decided to stop using clarisonic till my dark spots fades.. I'm using nadinola now and will try maxi peel to fad the marks as well... But till then, adios clarisonic... It's bee terrible knowing you.. You gave me the WORST out break in my life.. I wasn't even acne prone before this!!
Update - #14 day of usng Clarisonic (once a day):
Just a little update on how this purging nightmare has progressed...
The cystic pimples in both sides of my cheeks finally died down.. But because I have a skin picking addiction, those bumps have left quite a handful of flat, red/grey marks in my cheeks.. But at least those annoying cystic pimples are gone.. For the past 3 days, I had whitehead pimples surfacing instead... No biggie, I treated them with a layer of LRP effaclar K or Dermalogica's medibac overnight clearing gel and the tiny bumps were down the next morning..

So now that my condition is a little more Under control, I reflected on my first 6 days of mia usage to look not the cause if my ridiculous outbreak... I concluded that the combination of mia (physical exfoliation) and AHA 8% ( chemical) daily was too much for my skin to take.... I was also new to applying 8% AHA at that time... Moral of the story: pls, when you're using clarisonic, don't go all crazy and introduce all kinds of new products to your regime... Stick to your usual regime so it's easier to single out the reason of your outbreak...

My daily process is now this and my skin's handling it well:

day:
Just washing my face with good old cetaphil.... No clarisonic

Night:
-cleanse once to remove makep using an oil cleanser
-clarisonic my face with cetaphil
-apply lightweight moisturiser
-apply layer of effaclar K
- to the pesky areas where i think zits might be forming, apply a layer of medibac
- spot treat scars with ZA true white cream (the only lightening cream that works in my skin and it's cheap)

**note: I only use clarisonic at night to remove my makeup... I'm wearing a thicker layer of makeup now to conceal scars.. On Sundays, I give my clarisonic a rest.. I've chosen instead to mix my AHA 8% with my moisturiser... AHA is crucial to the process of fading those scars.. Will update again in 2 weeks' time.. Keeping my fingers crossed that THIS IS the end of purging period..

BTW, I found this out too late but it's been really useful to the last few cystic bumps I had... APPLY SUDOCREM ON IT TO BRING IT TO HEAD....works wonders!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 day of using Clarisonic (once a day):
Will update again IF AND when the purging subsides....

Just got my hands on the Mia 1 week ago.. was really excited about using it.. I would follow this process:

-Use an oil cleanser (Shu Uemura) to remove make up
-Apply a layer of cetephil on my face
-Wash mia brush gently with body soap
-Use Mia to clean my face for 1 minutes.. sometimes I'll go slightly beyond the one minute.. (with the default sensitive head brush that came along with it)
-Apply Paula's Choice 8% AHA Gel
-Terproline moisturiser

I did this once a day at night for the past 7 days.. on the 7th day, THE HORRORS WHEN I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING!!! Bumps and pimples on both sides of my cheeks!! The only thing I forgot to slap on my face the night before was the AHA gel..

Some of the questions running through my head now are:
-Am I over-exfoliating? Is the combination of clarisonic and AHA gel too potent? I have since cut down my usage of mia to twice a week.. and NEVER exceeding the 1 minute this time.. but I'm still applying AHA gel every night... I'm cursing myself for forgetting to slap on the AHA gel as perhaps skipping that one step was crucial in keeping the purging at bay????
-I have cleaned my brush head once with hydrogen peroxide and warm water... perhaps I should be doing it more often? My brush head does not look dirty or discoloured though.

The pimples on my cheeks are mostly small bumps, but still visible under makeup... there's no way to hide bumps.. also, I had a 3 cystic pimples on my jaw line but they have gone away quite quickly as well.. 2 days max.

It's so depressing because I was expecting so much from Mia.. and when my face became a pizza face I started reading up more about the purging phase.. I'm just hoping that the worst of the purge is over :s

To help calm my skin (perhaps from over-exfoliation??? I have no clue), I have resorted to applying a thick layer of MANUKA honey mask (15+) on my skin everyday for 15 minutes... I've only done it the past 2 days and so far it seems to calm those annoying zits..

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by beuatybme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought my clarisonic last year for my terrible teenage acne. For the first two months I used it with its original sensitive brush head I honestly saw no results and stopped using it. It did nothing for my disgustingly oily skin or any of the zits and pimples all over my face and I was still getting annoying white heads. But then I got the deep pore brush, for the first month it wasn't that amazing and then all of sudden my skin just started to transform. I completely stopped getting whiteheads, my skin got so much smoother, and everything else started clearing up as well. This brush is a miracle! Nothing takes off makeup and helps with congestion in the same way and its so wonderful! I definitely couldn't live without my mia and i'm so glad I stuck with it. The brush head is what really makes a difference so if your having troubles with the one you've got i'd really recommend trying one of the others before you give up. Best of luck!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by xxrocy

BEst item ever, def helps smooth out skin, blackheads disappear. Love this!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by kelciekr

After using my Clarisonic Mia for 6 months I have decided to finally write a review. I got this as a christmis gift from my mom, and so far it is the most important part of my beauty routine. The first few weeks I did experience the "purging" stage and dealt with some bad break-outs, but now it was worth it. My skin has improved so much within the 5-6 months. I hardly ever have any break outs or zits unless it's hormonal (time of the month), my skin is smoother and my pores are less visible. For me, having acne-prone teenage skin- this has worked wonders. I would recommend this product if it is within your budget. Even if it's not, the Olay spinbrush (I previously used), worked really well for the price and kept my skin problems at bay
. But the Mia is far more better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 5:59:00 AM More reviews by lolapolar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The Mia is a fantastic little hand held cleanser machine if you have non-irritable skin, but if you suffer with rosacea like I do, it may not work for your skin. I purchased the Mia and I have rated it with full marks, but I can't use it, not the machines fault, just my skin is so reactive. The machine is great, but my skin is so sensitive that it really irritates my skin. I have really inflamed rosacea on just one side of my face and even the sensitive brush is too harsh. But if you have skin that doesn't break out just by looking at it then it really is an excellent way to keep you skin clean. Would recommend it, but not for people with rosacea.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by euristocrat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Whilst I like my Clarisonic Mia, I have rated it a 4 because I could do without it and I don't think the effects justify the price. Firstly, I don't use it twice a day, every day as I have sensitive, pale, fragile skin and I feel that regular use would be too harsh for my skin. However, I use it once a day around 3-4 times a week with the delicate brush head and have no problems e.g. breakouts. For me, the Mia essentially acts as a gentle exfoliator, buffing off any dry/dead skin. I have found that it brightens my skin a little and that my foundation and concealer go on more smoothly. I should note that for many years I have used a cream-cleanser with a muslin cloth to cleanse so perhaps that's why I haven't seen the differences that others have. I don't think that the Mia works particularly well with cream cleansers, which is disappointing as that's what I prefer to use. It doesn't serve to unclog any of my pores around my nose - I find various masks much more effective. Washing the heads regularly is a concern because I don't want to spread bacteria around my face. Given my skin type, I wish I had tried one of the dupes e.g. Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Cleansing Brush or Olay's Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System as, in my case, the benefits of the Clarisonic do not outweigh its hefty price tag.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 5:54:00 PM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

The delicate skin of the face is not meant to be treated harshly in the way this device and other expensive tools do. Main cause for acne is irritation, mainly irritation caused by FRICTION. I am a college student and since I want to be a dermatologist I have taken all the courses there are about skin anatomy and skin behavior. Using a vibrating brush (no matter how "gentle" it is) will only damage your delicate skin for the long run. Soaps and scrubblets are okay if used every other day, but this device is way too harsh on the skin. You can ask any licensed dermatologist, there is no such thing as a skin "purge" fron being "cleaned throughly". It's a skin reaction to friction, something similar to what happens when the inner part of thighs rub together while taking a long walk. It causes painful cystic acne from the abuse. Not only that, the constant tugging on skin causes premature wrinkles and it makes the skin lose it's capacity to heal by itself quickly (I bet many of you have problems with acne scarring huh?). Be careful, your face is pretty sensitive and gentle, treat it well.
The first minute I tried this, I couldn't stand it and returned it as soon as possible.

18 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:52:00 AM More reviews by justwishin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't have sensitive or acne-prone skin, and can use almost any kind of scrub, acid or retinol. After using this very gently (almost no pressure) with the delicate head and only once a week and EXACTLY as directed, I broke out in very bad cystic acne all along the jawline. This was after 1 month of weekly use. Nothing else with my skincare had changed, and I never break out, so I know it was this brush. It wasn't a "purge" because I have very clear pores and exfoliate frequently. I cleaned it after each use as directed.

The worst part was the pores in my t-zone, which are normally tiny, appear larger. Not "cleaned out", but larger and longer...vertically from top to bottom, as if they have been slightly stretched out. I don't claim to know how that is possible, but that's truly how it looks and I'm not happy. Also, I saw no major skin benefits from using this, other than the rosy glow I get anyway from a normal scrub. This brush is not for everyone and I wish I hadn't splurged on it. I think the vibrations "activate" the skin too much for some of us (and pull on it too) regardless of how properly/gently it is used. If you get it, keep your receipt in case. :/

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No