December 19, 2014 | 1572 users online

Treatments - OPI - Nail Envy - Original

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 7:20:00 AM More reviews by AnnKB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this recently as it came in a kit from QVC and the reviews were so good. However I got a shock when reading the ingredients:

ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, tosylamide/formaldehyde resin, isopropyl alcohol, triphenyl posphate, trimethyl pentanyl diisobutyrate, butyl alcohol, fomaldehyde, stearalkonium, bentonite, camphor, diacetone alcohol, ethyl tosylamide, benzophenone-1, citric acid, hydrolized wheat protein, dimethicone, calcium pantothetate, violet colour & titanium dioxide.

Straight away you can smell the alcohol & acetone which in itself is not unpleasant but I worry about the long term drying affect on my nails.

Formaldehyde works to create extra bonds with keratin which create harder nails but can also cause sensitivity of skin and cuticles.I do not know the concentration of the formaldehyde but the fact it is also a known carcinagenic is enough for me.

The stuff does work, spreads easily and dries quickly and is also good as a topcoat BUT be informed and use sparingly and with caution especially when used as a basecoat. Avoid skin & cuticles (as instructions themselves state).

Instead of this am going to use Leighton Denny's bio build in stead which uses bio active glass technology.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2008 1:56:00 AM More reviews by iLoveYoutwo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I never had weak nails, but I always relied on gel nails for length. well, i don't need them anymore, as my nails are long, healthy and strong :)

I put a coat on everyday. sometimes, two! It makes me look like I have nice manicured nails. sometimes i get soo lazy that i do it only twice a week or so but its still very effective :) I am going to keep purchasing these!

JAN 24, 2009
Sorry, I have to change my reviews. As others have mentioned, this stuff does make my nails yellowish orange. I took them off and they actually look much better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 4:36:00 AM More reviews by jawbreaker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love OPI's nail polishes but Nail Envy made my nails feel weaker. I applied this as the directions state and it just felt horrible on. I gave it about 2 weeks and couldn't stand it. (I have since found Nailques Formlua #2 which is wonderful!)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 12:58:00 AM More reviews by fashionjunki09

Im in love with this one...I have been biting my nails since forever and I decided to kick the habit and bought this product..My nails are brittle and easy to break since I've been using this my nails have not break, peeled and so forth..highly recommend if you have weak nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by happi23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great product. I have weak nails, prone to peeling. I've been using for 3 weeks now and there is a noticeable difference to myself, my SO, and co-workers. Everyone keeps asking what did I do to my nails. Well i've put all of my co-workers on to this product. I cut my nails down to begin and followed the instructions. No chipping, peeling, breaking, or anything. Nice, healthy, strong nails. I'm sold!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2008 10:56:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been biting my nails since I was six, and this habit carried into adulthood. 4 weeks ago, I decided enough was enough after seeing this girls' pretty nails and wishing my nails look like hers. I have been trying to grow my nails out in the past, but they always break/peel and I will feel the "pull" to bite them till they're smooth. I really did have the worst nails in the world. On average, they were no longer than 1cm - just 0.7cm the last time I measured the longest one. So, I gave OPI Nail Envy a try - and they were immediately strong. For the next two weeks, I put them to the ultimate tests - washing dishes, peeling stuffs, basically using my hands roughly and it never once peeled! My nails are incredibly strong too - they can't be bent. They never cracked, peeled, or break, and as a result my nails are at least presentable today. If you want to see before and after pictures, just go here:

OPI Nail Envy also dries extremely fast. That's another plus point in my book.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by cocofabulous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love Nail Envy! I've been using it for years & I've never, ever had a nail break. It works perfectly as a base coat, or if you want to use it on its own it gives alot of shine. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 5:43:00 PM More reviews by laurelwatanabe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love OPI Nail Envy. I took off my acrylic nails last year and was really nervous because everytime before I lasted about a week with them off, my nails were so weak and thin and would peel off and bleed. I first bought Nail Tek and it improved my nails a tiny bit but not much, then I bought Nail Envy and after about two weeks my nails were much stronger.
My nails are so hard and long now they look just as good as the acrylics. It put an end to all peeling and breaking and finally let my nails grow. I don't think $14 USD is a lot to pay considering it lasts a long time and that's about what you pay for 1 acrylic fill that lasts 2 weeks.

I follow the directions started with clean nails added two coats and added a coat every other day and I also use Burts Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme at night to get my skin around the nail soft.

Give it a try you'll love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2008 5:51:00 PM More reviews by RedNailz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I started using Nail Envy after having gel nails removed. My nails are not strong to begin with, and they were now worse than what I started with! Even though gel nails aren't supposed to be damaging, my natural nail was very weak at the tip (even after I cut them short). I used Nail Envy according to instructions for months. Now that the damaged parts of my nails have grown out, I can really see the difference. I am amazed at how strong my nails are and how long they are getting! Even though the price is high, using Nail Envy to grow my nails long is still cheaper than getting artificial nails! UPDATE: I took a break from Nail Envy and found out that my nails have gotten much more brittle. Before, they peeled and tore easily. Now they actually chip and break! I am back to very short nails as a result. While I will still use Nail Envy from time to time, I will also be moisturizing ALOT more often.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 8:35:00 PM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for well over a month and I cannot believe how long and strong my nails have grown out. Previously, when I've been able to let them grow, they would reach a particular length and promptly begin to split, peel and break. Nail Envy was recommended to me by a nail tech and I purchased with a healthy dose of skepticism. As it turns out, however, the tech was right. I've been able to maintain them at their (personal) record-breaking length without even so much as an indication that they were preparing to peel or break. The NE leaves a nice, better-than-natural sheen that just leaves them looking healthy -- I've been sitting staring at a bottle of INRAW but I can't bring myself to cover them up. They're gorgeous! Will definitely continue using (per directions, with every other day application for one week, then start-over), and highly recommend it. While the weekly procedure can seems a bit daunting, rest assured that it isn't at all like polishing your nails every other day. It dries very quickly -- to the point that, by the time I finish my pinky, the thumb and forefinger of the same hand is dry -- and is very sheer So it goes quickly and does not require quite the same level of meticulousness as does a true polish.