New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

Price: $

I, too, jumped on the NYC loose powder bandwagon because of the raves it was getting on the message boards. I am a drugstore diva, but even I probably wouldn't have touched this--it *looks* cheap, the line seems icky and pre-teenish, and powders are very touchy territory with my skin in terms of breakouts. I figured this was worth a try for the pricetag ($2.99 at Target).

I have been converted. It's what everyone else says; just apply it with a fluffy brush (I love Stila's #8 for this) and you have a flawless face. I've used it to set my TM and on my bareface when I was running late, and both have given me a great, natural look. I usually need a touch-up on my T-zone by mid-day, but overall you can't beat this.

Yes, the packaging sucks. Just decant it into a cheapie twist-off sifter (you can get them on eBay for cheap, or just reuse a MM container) and you can travel with it everyday. You can also just tape the lid shut if you need to.

So, overall: great quality, great quantity, great price. Crappy packaging, but don't be put off by that! continued >>

This is the best loose powder. It's a little darker than my skin, but I just apply it lightly. I wear this on "no makeup" days over my sunblock or over concealer. It leaves a matte finish. It doesn't have the power to cover up major redness, but when I wear it my skin feels clean. There is a slight sparkle to it, but it doesn't look shiny or fake in the sun.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I'm in love, this leaves my face polished and pretty looking. I was using Neutrogena's loose powder but my face would get shiny a few hours later. This is semi-matte and still lets your face shine through. It's also natural and doesn't give that unfortunate mask look like so many powders i.e. Coty and other drugstores.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

As far as loose powders go, I don't think it gets much better than this. Not only is this powder incredibly budget-friendly, it also does a perfect job. It makes my makeup last noticeably longer and looks sheer and beautiful after application, without altering the way the rest of your makeup looks. Although I wont run out anytime soon (they give you a generous amount), I'll definitely buy this product again.

As light as this powder is, I'm lighter so this did not work for me as a translucent powder. From now on I know to stick to translucent powders that are stark White in appearance so I can be assured they wont leave a trace of color on my oh so pale skin. This powder will probably work for me in my tanner months of summer though, and it goes on pretty well so I will keep it around but no re-purchase for me (even though it is def dirt cheap!)

The best. It costed 2.99 cad and does a perfect job of mattifying and evening out my skin. I am in shcok. This is the first loose powder that wowed me at first try. I'll update further when i've used this for a longer time. Right now tho, my face is immaculate. Lets hope it continues to wow me!! (FYI: NC25, dark brown hair/eyes.) - got it at shoppers drug mart @ richmond center.

For a drugstore product, NCP loose power just cannot be beat. I apply it over TM for a soft, matte finish. Not cakey or heavy at all. Yeah, sometimes I reapply in the afternoon - but that has more to do with my oily skin and light hand applying powder. The packaging is not ideal - I shake a little out into the cap and apply with a soft brush. Will keep repurchasing this one.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was in search of a loose powder as a setting powder for my foundation. I was using phasicians formula mineralwear and thought it was to heavy for my clear, 19 year old skin. after seeing such great reviews for this i thought i would try it. I like some NYC stuff, mostly eyeliners, but over the years I have found I didnt like a lot of their products. I also usually spend more money on foundation and powders because i fear that fake makeup look. However, i am very pleased with this stuff. It is very fine it looks very natural. It's staying power could be better, but it's no biggie, I just might have to touch up the T-zone with a compact powder on the go (Because you sure dont want to travel with it!) if it's a hot day, but I'm fine with minor touch ups. I wished it came in more colors, because the translucnt is very light, but it doesnt make me look flushed like some poweders do. The only thing I have to really complain about is that it is messy. I usually like sifters, but i think this one lets out too much at a time. I will be using this for now one. It's a great deal.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I usually avoid really cheap face powders since my skin is very sensitive and breaks out easily. However I noticed this had been getting very good reviews so I decided to try it. This is a very good powder. I got rid of the crappy puff and I use a brush to apply it. It sets my makeup and controls oil really well. I've been using this for over a month and it hasn't made me break out! =)

My only real problem with it is the packaging. I have to be really careful opening it since it's very easy to make a mess.

I might buy the darker shade next time since this tends to make me look more pale than I actually am. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good quality, inexpensive powder.

I bought this on sale as sort of a multi-purpose thing...make my eyeshadow last longer, control shine, tone down blush...the list goes on. I got "Translucent".

How is it for controlling shine? Well, I've heard that loose powder is more for setting makeup...so for a loose powder this is pretty good. My face isn't really oily or anything, but I find this is good at sort of evening out my face and making it more matte. My nose and my eyelids are the oiliest part of my face. It tones down the shine on my nose, but if I don't touch up my makeup all day a bit of shine can pop out. Same goes for my eyelids. I like this for hot days: I can sweat a bit, feel my face, and find it has not a sticky feel, but a smooth powdery one!

Setting makeup? I haven't used it so much for that so far...I found it toned down my already neutral eyeshadow...not so good. I don't wear foundation or concealer, so I can't say about there. Good as a base for eyeshadow.

I read somewhere that powder was good for toning down blush...it's not bad at that.

Skin tone--I'm an FFF and this matches me nicely. I also used it on my arms one time, and it blended nicely there too, and my arms are much more tan than my face.

Packaging. Some people have complained about the packaging. I would prefer to have a lid that screws on, so I can take it with me, but it is handy to just pop the lid off when you're going out the door. They're so cheap, if you want to take it with you, just get the compact as well.

I've heard the sponge referred to as "a little hard pink sponge". It's not hard, it's soft. I like it for a light application, and my Mary Kay powder brush for a more matte application. I use the sponge more often because I don't like powder blowing around, but I prefer the matte-er finish so I guess I'll just have to be more adept with the brush. The shaker must be removed to dip a brush...the shaker is good for the sponge though. You can remove it not too messily if you're careful.

Overall, I like this product and would buy again, perhaps also the compact.

P.S. Some people think it's like Cornsilk...you're right, they're made by the same company. Never tried Cornsilk, but this is what I imagine it to be like. continued >>

Recommended for Normal Skin