New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was in search of a loose powder as a setting powder for my foundation. I was using phasicians formula mineralwear and thought it was to heavy for my clear, 19 year old skin. after seeing such great reviews for this i thought i would try it. I like some NYC stuff, mostly eyeliners, but over the years I have found I didnt like a lot of their products. I also usually spend more money on foundation and powders because i fear that fake makeup look. However, i am very pleased with this stuff. It is very fine it looks very natural. It's staying power could be better, but it's no biggie, I just might have to touch up the T-zone with a compact powder on the go (Because you sure dont want to travel with it!) if it's a hot day, but I'm fine with minor touch ups. I wished it came in more colors, because the translucnt is very light, but it doesnt make me look flushed like some poweders do. The only thing I have to really complain about is that it is messy. I usually like sifters, but i think this one lets out too much at a time. I will be using this for now one. It's a great deal.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I usually avoid really cheap face powders since my skin is very sensitive and breaks out easily. However I noticed this had been getting very good reviews so I decided to try it. This is a very good powder. I got rid of the crappy puff and I use a brush to apply it. It sets my makeup and controls oil really well. I've been using this for over a month and it hasn't made me break out! =)

My only real problem with it is the packaging. I have to be really careful opening it since it's very easy to make a mess.

I might buy the darker shade next time since this tends to make me look more pale than I actually am. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good quality, inexpensive powder.

on 7/31/2006 2:39:00 PM

I bought this on sale as sort of a multi-purpose thing...make my eyeshadow last longer, control shine, tone down blush...the list goes on. I got "Translucent".

How is it for controlling shine? Well, I've heard that loose powder is more for setting makeup...so for a loose powder this is pretty good. My face isn't really oily or anything, but I find this is good at sort of evening out my face and making it more matte. My nose and my eyelids are the oiliest part of my face. It tones down the shine on my nose, but if I don't touch up my makeup all day a bit of shine can pop out. Same goes for my eyelids. I like this for hot days: I can sweat a bit, feel my face, and find it has not a sticky feel, but a smooth powdery one!

Setting makeup? I haven't used it so much for that so far...I found it toned down my already neutral eyeshadow...not so good. I don't wear foundation or concealer, so I can't say about there. Good as a base for eyeshadow.

I read somewhere that powder was good for toning down blush...it's not bad at that.

Skin tone--I'm an FFF and this matches me nicely. I also used it on my arms one time, and it blended nicely there too, and my arms are much more tan than my face.

Packaging. Some people have complained about the packaging. I would prefer to have a lid that screws on, so I can take it with me, but it is handy to just pop the lid off when you're going out the door. They're so cheap, if you want to take it with you, just get the compact as well.

I've heard the sponge referred to as "a little hard pink sponge". It's not hard, it's soft. I like it for a light application, and my Mary Kay powder brush for a more matte application. I use the sponge more often because I don't like powder blowing around, but I prefer the matte-er finish so I guess I'll just have to be more adept with the brush. The shaker must be removed to dip a brush...the shaker is good for the sponge though. You can remove it not too messily if you're careful.

Overall, I like this product and would buy again, perhaps also the compact.

P.S. Some people think it's like Cornsilk...you're right, they're made by the same company. Never tried Cornsilk, but this is what I imagine it to be like. continued >>

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This is a love/hate product. I know some have said it is a cheaper MAC blot. I didn't like it. I'm super oily and MAC blot helps control the oil perfectly. This one does not, for me. It did not control oil and it left a chalky finish. I am a DDD (NW45) and I realize it's translucent but......not for me. I'll stick w/MAC.

I got one of these in Translucent and one in Naturally Beige during a buy 1 get 1 50% off sale at RiteAid (regularly $2.99 each). The translucent is definitely a good color match for me. It's a light skin color, whereas Naturally Beige is substantially darker with a pink cast and is too dark for my skin. This powder is light and absorbs oil well. A terrific value even at regular price. Comes in a 20g plastic sifter jar with a snap on lid. Ingredients are: Talc, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Silicate, Kaolin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Boron Nitride, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Isopropyl Palmitate, Quaternium-15. May Contain: Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines. Made in U.S.A.

on 6/18/2006 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Beautiful results! I'd always used the $20 Elizabeth Arden loose powder until I tried this. I've used it for years--you can't go wrong. Much better than traditional drugstore-brand loose powders like Coty and Cornsilk--it is not yellow or orange at all, just soft clean-looking color.

on 5/22/2006 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have use them all. This is simply the best, better than all the rest. The price $2.50.CAD.Translucent is truely that. The only thing that I did not like about this powder was the powder puff that comes with it. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This loose powder is fabulous...and so cheap too! Awesome.

on 4/13/2006 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

This is not meant for those w/dry skin. Works great for those who want to control oil. I believe it is because of the Kaolin in its ingrediants. I only use on T-zone. Try to apply lightly, as too much may make you look too white. A little goes a long way, but tend not to use this much, as it makes the skin look too pasty white

on 4/6/2006 10:04:00 AM

It works and absorbs oil well. It really evens out skintone, but the sifter is odd and you really need to use a brush with it, not the cosmetic sponge it comes with. Also, don't put it in your purse because the top will come right off.