January 30, 2015 | 634 users online

Loose Powders - New York Color - Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2006 2:39:00 PM More reviews by neopetgurl

I bought this on sale as sort of a multi-purpose thing...make my eyeshadow last longer, control shine, tone down blush...the list goes on. I got "Translucent".

How is it for controlling shine? Well, I've heard that loose powder is more for setting makeup...so for a loose powder this is pretty good. My face isn't really oily or anything, but I find this is good at sort of evening out my face and making it more matte. My nose and my eyelids are the oiliest part of my face. It tones down the shine on my nose, but if I don't touch up my makeup all day a bit of shine can pop out. Same goes for my eyelids. I like this for hot days: I can sweat a bit, feel my face, and find it has not a sticky feel, but a smooth powdery one!

Setting makeup? I haven't used it so much for that so far...I found it toned down my already neutral eyeshadow...not so good. I don't wear foundation or concealer, so I can't say about there. Good as a base for eyeshadow.

I read somewhere that powder was good for toning down blush...it's not bad at that.

Skin tone--I'm an FFF and this matches me nicely. I also used it on my arms one time, and it blended nicely there too, and my arms are much more tan than my face.

Packaging. Some people have complained about the packaging. I would prefer to have a lid that screws on, so I can take it with me, but it is handy to just pop the lid off when you're going out the door. They're so cheap, if you want to take it with you, just get the compact as well.

I've heard the sponge referred to as "a little hard pink sponge". It's not hard, it's soft. I like it for a light application, and my Mary Kay powder brush for a more matte application. I use the sponge more often because I don't like powder blowing around, but I prefer the matte-er finish so I guess I'll just have to be more adept with the brush. The shaker must be removed to dip a brush...the shaker is good for the sponge though. You can remove it not too messily if you're careful.

Overall, I like this product and would buy again, perhaps also the compact.

P.S. Some people think it's like Cornsilk...you're right, they're made by the same company. Never tried Cornsilk, but this is what I imagine it to be like. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2006 7:56:00 PM More reviews by YellowroseofTexas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a love/hate product. I know some have said it is a cheaper MAC blot. I didn't like it. I'm super oily and MAC blot helps control the oil perfectly. This one does not, for me. It did not control oil and it left a chalky finish. I am a DDD (NW45) and I realize it's translucent but......not for me. I'll stick w/MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2006 4:58:00 PM More reviews by Elevator_Girl

I got one of these in Translucent and one in Naturally Beige during a buy 1 get 1 50% off sale at RiteAid (regularly $2.99 each). The translucent is definitely a good color match for me. It's a light skin color, whereas Naturally Beige is substantially darker with a pink cast and is too dark for my skin. This powder is light and absorbs oil well. A terrific value even at regular price. Comes in a 20g plastic sifter jar with a snap on lid. Ingredients are: Talc, Zinc Stearate, Calcium Silicate, Kaolin, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Boron Nitride, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Isopropyl Palmitate, Quaternium-15. May Contain: Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines. Made in U.S.A.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2006 5:24:00 PM More reviews by SexyLittleMe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Beautiful results! I'd always used the $20 Elizabeth Arden loose powder until I tried this. I've used it for years--you can't go wrong. Much better than traditional drugstore-brand loose powders like Coty and Cornsilk--it is not yellow or orange at all, just soft clean-looking color.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2006 6:59:00 PM More reviews by hastick

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have use them all. This is simply the best, better than all the rest. The price $2.50.CAD.Translucent is truely that. The only thing that I did not like about this powder was the powder puff that comes with it. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2006 5:17:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

This loose powder is fabulous...and so cheap too! Awesome.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2006 5:14:00 PM More reviews by nova

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

This is not meant for those w/dry skin. Works great for those who want to control oil. I believe it is because of the Kaolin in its ingrediants. I only use on T-zone. Try to apply lightly, as too much may make you look too white. A little goes a long way, but tend not to use this much, as it makes the skin look too pasty white

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2006 10:04:00 AM More reviews by skitzkid1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It works and absorbs oil well. It really evens out skintone, but the sifter is odd and you really need to use a brush with it, not the cosmetic sponge it comes with. Also, don't put it in your purse because the top will come right off.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2006 7:08:00 PM More reviews by huka07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

two thumbs up for this powder..I've never experienced smooth looking complexion with other powder, but with this sets my face glowing after the oil of olay shine free foundation. It lasts long, and yeah,I use brush to apply, what I do is pour little powder inside the lid, then swirl the brush, tap the excess, and apply it to my face.
The price is unbeatable, got it under $3 from walmart.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2006 12:36:00 AM More reviews by threekit

This stuff is surprising. I usually don't wear powders or foundations because I hate the feeling of wearing makeup on my face all day and mostly because I generally don't need it. But I saw this at the store for about $3.29 CAD and decided to try it.

As a lot of others have said, the powder puff and the sifter are pretty much useless (which is why I scored them fairly low for packaging quality), so if you take those out and apply with a brush, this powder is great. It really evens out my skintone and sets my makeup very well, yet doesn't break me out at all. It gives my skin such a smooth/soft texture without looking chalky or like I'm wearing makeup at all.

The only thing I don't really like is that the container makes for extremely messy application, but I can live with it.

I usually go for higher-end products, but NYC has surprised me lately! probably will repurchase.